daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 22nd, 2006, 04:16 PM   #1081
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSydney
Im sure the Final venue is determined by the local organising committee(as per guidelines set out by FIFA(70,000++ etc etc) or am I wrong?
i think for austrlia its a toss up between melbourne and sydney..i think the MCG will get some preference in terms of its history..
Mo Rush no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2006, 05:13 PM   #1082
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6301

Yer, I don't think the stadium for the WC final is decided soley on its capacity, this has deffinietly nopt been the case in some previous WC's, you also have to consider the quality of the stadium, its suitability for the event, and in a lot of cases, just whether or not it is in the capital. For instance, if England get the 2018 WC, Old Trafford may have been expanded to over 90,000+ capacity by then, more then Wembley, but I really can't see them letting any other city outside London host the final.

But anyway, everyone (including myself) has been mainly focussed on debating who will host the 2018 WC, but over the last few days I have become increasingly interested in the saga that is the 2014 WC, which is rapidly becoming something of a mystery, and could turn onto the biggest farse in recent WC history.

Here is the situation as I see it at the moment:

-Back in 2003, Sep Blatter announced that the 2014 WC would be held in South America.

-Within 10 days of this announcement, all 10 countries of the South American federation got together and unanimously agreed and announced that Brazil was their only candidate.

-And now that there are 32 countries in the WC, you need a lot of high quality, high capacity stadiums and infastructure in at least 9 or 10 different cities, and most SA countries do not have this, so Brazil would seem the only obvious choice, no problem you would think....

-But, more recently, Blatter made it clear that he was not impressed with the stadium situation in Brazil, and that they would probably need to build 10-12 new stadiums in order to be up to present WC standards; and he has also suggested that perhaps Argentina and Chile should consider a joint bid for the WC...this after Blatter had already previously stated that he and FIFA didn't want any more co-hosted WCs! And in case anyone was unaware, the stadium situation in Argentina and Chile is, if anything, worse then it is in Brazil!

-Then last Sunday, Columbia's president announced that Columbia want to host in 2014, in apparent ignorance, it seems, that 3 years ago, the Columbian FA had already given their support to Brazil. Yesterday, I believe, the head of the South American federation met with the vice-president of Columbia to remonstrate about how Brazil are SA's only candidate.

-The decison about who hosts the WC is made in 2008, which leaves whoever gets it only 6 years to build up the stadiums and infastructure, or more accurately 5 years, because (I think), any new stadium has to have been in use for at least a year before the WC.

In conclusion, I have to wonder, why wasn't this decison made as far back as 2003 when Blatter said SA would host the WC and the SA federation said Brazil is their only candidate, why wasn't the official decsion made then, which would give them 11 years to prepare???

Now I'm starting to have vague suspicions about FIFA's plans and motives. Are FIFA playing a game here? It seems to be a very similar situation with what happened in 1986 when Columbia were scheduled to host the WC, but with time running out, they pulled out-under pressure-and FIFA glady handed it to Mexico. Is it just possible that FIFA are having hopes of maybe handing the 2014 WC over to a more lucrative market, like say....China, or USA or Canada....??

Columbia actually have some of the best stadiums in South America at the moment, so there is every possiblility that they could be in with a shot, but whatever happens, it is getting more and more of a farse as the days go on, cus 5 years to build about 10 stadiums and all the infastructure seems a tall order for Brazil!

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2006, 05:48 PM   #1083
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit Slim
Yer, I don't think the stadium for the WC final is decided soley on its capacity, this has deffinietly nopt been the case in some previous WC's, you also have to consider the quality of the stadium, its suitability for the event, and in a lot of cases, just whether or not it is in the capital. For instance, if England get the 2018 WC, Old Trafford may have been expanded to over 90,000+ capacity by then, more then Wembley, but I really can't see them letting any other city outside London host the final.
I'd say thats a very different situation to an Australia WC though, London is the capital and by far the largest city in the UK plus of course Wembley is the English national stadium. Neither Sydney nore Melbourne are the capital of Australia and there isnt a vast difference in size between them.

From what I'v heard on here theres alot of competision between the two cities so I wouldnt be at all supprized to see them enter a stadium arms race to get the final if Oz ever hosted. The MCG could drop the pitch temporarily and maybe even redevolp the great south stand inline with the north one while the Telstra could rebuild the Olympic stands.

Last edited by MoreOrLess; July 22nd, 2006 at 07:07 PM.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2006, 06:14 PM   #1084
Mo Rush

Quote:

But anyway, everyone (including myself) has been mainly focussed on debating who will host the 2018 WC, but over the last few days I have become increasingly interested in the saga that is the 2014 WC, which is rapidly becoming something of a mystery, and could turn onto the biggest farse in recent WC history.

-Back in 2003, Sep Blatter announced that the 2014 WC would be held in South America.

-Within 10 days of this announcement, all 10 countries of the South American federation got together and unanimously agreed and announced that Brazil was their only candidate.

-And now that there are 32 countries in the WC, you need a lot of high quality, high capacity stadiums and infastructure in at least 9 or 10 different cities, and most SA countries do not have this, so Brazil would seem the only obvious choice, no problem you would think....

-But, more recently, Blatter made it clear that he was not impressed with the stadium situation in Brazil, and that they would probably need to build 10-12 new stadiums in order to be up to present WC standards; and he has also suggested that perhaps Argentina and Chile should consider a joint bid for the WC...this after Blatter had already previously stated that he and FIFA didn't want any more co-hosted WCs! And in case anyone was unaware, the stadium situation in Argentina and Chile is, if anything, worse then it is in Brazil!

-Then last Sunday, Columbia's president announced that Columbia want to host in 2014, in apparent ignorance, it seems, that 3 years ago, the Columbian FA had already given their support to Brazil. Yesterday, I believe, the head of the South American federation met with the vice-president of Columbia to remonstrate about how Brazil are SA's only candidate.

-The decison about who hosts the WC is made in 2008, which leaves whoever gets it only 6 years to build up the stadiums and infastructure, or more accurately 5 years, because (I think), any new stadium has to have been in use for at least a year before the WC.

In conclusion, I have to wonder, why wasn't this decison made as far back as 2003 when Blatter said SA would host the WC and the SA federation said Brazil is their only candidate, why wasn't the official decsion made then, which would give them 11 years to prepare???

Now I'm starting to have vague suspicions about FIFA's plans and motives. Are FIFA playing a game here? It seems to be a very similar situation with what happened in 1986 when Columbia were scheduled to host the WC, but with time running out, they pulled out-under pressure-and FIFA glady handed it to Mexico. Is it just possible that FIFA are having hopes of maybe handing the 2014 WC over to a more lucrative market, like say....China, or USA or Canada....??

Columbia actually have some of the best stadiums in South America at the moment, so there is every possiblility that they could be in with a shot, but whatever happens, it is getting more and more of a farse as the days go on, cus 5 years to build about 10 stadiums and all the infastructure seems a tall order for Brazil!
a few excellent points...its colombia not columbia right? or am i wrong.
I think sepp blatters remarks regarding the state of brazilian stadia could also be seen as a warning or threat to brazil..urging them to get their act together and upgrade stadia or plan to make major upgrades soon...
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2006, 06:23 PM   #1085
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 28

Its Colombia.

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2006, 11:17 PM   #1086
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6301

Yer, it's Colombia, soz, spelling was never my strong point!

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2006, 12:11 AM   #1087
ReddAlert
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by canarywondergod
milwaukee is a city in the north USA

it has one of my favourite stadiums in the world (despite its problems)

but back to the point, its not a big enough city to hold the world cup and would need to build copious amounts of football stadiums. personally the sooner england get it the better as its been far too long since we've held it, especially now as the germans have held it twice after 66 the stadiums are here, the infrastructure is here (sort of) so just let us have it!(although given the apparent rotation system it probably wont be untill 2018 but as long as when its a choice out of european countries its england thats fine).
thanks for educating that fool lol. Yeah, just joking about the soccer thing...considering we dont have a soccer stadium. They are thinking about building one, but it probally wouldnt be enough.
ReddAlert no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2006, 01:25 AM   #1088
Mo Rush

Quote:
Yer, it's Colombia, soz, spelling was never my strong point!

yeah well at least u have a brain...
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2006, 01:34 AM   #1089
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 28

Unlike somebody...

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2006, 03:19 AM   #1090
jason poon
A Hongkonger

Likes (Received): 1

I hope China can host it at 2014 or 2018.
It may really help the growth of football in Mainland China.

In case, touch wood, South Africa cann't host the 2010,
China is able to take it over.
jason poon no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2006, 03:24 AM   #1091
victory

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSydney
umm no...In 1982(Spain) and 1990(Italy) the final did NOT go to the largest stadiums.And even in 1994(USA) and 2002(KOREA),there were bigger stadiums available in these countries and were not even used for any games.
1982 - difference of only 3-4000, with Spanish/Catalonia politics determining the final would not go to Barcelona. And it went to the capital city.

1990 - Shocking pitch at the San Siro. And again on around 3,000 difference, as opposed to 17,000 between Sydney and Melbourne. Again, in 1990 the final was held in the capital, we can all agree an Australian final would NEVER be held in Canberra.

4,000 as opposed to 17,000
Catalan politics as opposed to nothing
shocking pitch as opposed to equal quality
Capital as opposed to both not capitals (though Melbourne was for 26 years)

1994 - It was the largest at the time, it wasn't the best or most modern but the Rose Bowls sheer size got it the final. And had those other large venues ever been used for soccer football?

2002 - Korea didn't even host the final. And again the big matches in SK went to stadiums based on capacity, not modern-ness or rectanglness.

Last edited by victory; July 23rd, 2006 at 03:30 AM.
victory no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2006, 03:38 AM   #1092
panamaboy9016
I'm Panamerupean!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 2

True..

Well on the 2006 World Cup the Berlin Stadium in Germany is the biggest stadium in the nation.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 02:20 PM   #1093
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason poon
I hope China can host it at 2014 or 2018.
It may really help the growth of football in Mainland China.

In case, touch wood, South Africa cann't host the 2010,
China is able to take it over.
china won;t be the one taking over if there is any taking over to take place. that wouldbe germany
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2006, 10:56 PM   #1094
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member

Likes (Received): 255

Quote:

I think they have about 3 decent grounds: in Barranquilla, Medellin and Manizales. The one in Manizales is below the minimum capacity by a few hundred seats. The one in Bogota is about as close to a shambles (from reading at the Latinscrapers section) as possible. Cali is getting a new ground soon or may have opened by now. So, yeah, it's quite possible given a new injection of funds and competent organisation.

Otherwise, you're spot on with respect to your analysis.

I still think Brazil gets it. They just need to get on the ball, sort to speak. Why, oh why are FIFA giving them a tight deadline.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 11:57 PM   #1095
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game Is Up
I think they have about 3 decent grounds: in Barranquilla, Medellin and Manizales. The one in Manizales is below the minimum capacity by a few hundred seats. The one in Bogota is about as close to a shambles (from reading at the Latinscrapers section) as possible. Cali is getting a new ground soon or may have opened by now. So, yeah, it's quite possible given a new injection of funds and competent organisation.

Otherwise, you're spot on with respect to your analysis.

I still think Brazil gets it. They just need to get on the ball, sort to speak. Why, oh why are FIFA giving them a tight deadline.
Didnt Los Millonarios there plans to build Estadio Azul along roughly the same lines as the new Cali one?
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old July 24th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #1096
Motul
Oh Gloria Inaccesible

Likes (Received): 13955

2014 world cup: Colombia

︷︸︸ ︷ ︸︷
︷︸

North South Cone, Best Cone.
Motul no está en línea  
Old July 24th, 2006, 12:42 AM   #1097
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motul
2014 world cup: Colombia
mmm..id prefer argentina
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 24th, 2006, 04:04 AM   #1098
fortcali

Likes (Received): 126

Colombia 2014
possible seats

-Bogota 6'200.000
el campin 48.000
-Medellin 3'500.00
Atanasio girardot 53.000
-Cali 3'200.000
Dep. Cali 55.000 (2006)
-Barranquilla 2'000.000
Metropolitano 60.000
-Bucaramanga 900.000
Alfonso Lopez 25.000
-Cartagena 1.000.000
Pedro de Heredia 24.000
-Manizales 400.000
Palogrande 40.000
-Pereira 500.000
Hernan Ramirez 38.000
-Armenia 350.000
centenario 35.000
-Cucuta
42.000 2007
fortcali no está en línea  
Old July 25th, 2006, 08:13 AM   #1099
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member

Likes (Received): 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess
Didnt Los Millonarios there plans to build Estadio Azul along roughly the same lines as the new Cali one?
I don't think that's likely to happen, as Millonarios recently came under financial troubles. Bogota is going to need a new, bigger ground if they have any sliver of a chance, anyway. They just don't know how it is going to come about or whether that could happen at all. One thing Colombia does have over Brazil, I would admit, is that the distances between cities are much less. There would not be the long trips that would happen in a larger country like Brazil. Brazil, more importantly, has the greater footballing pedigree by far.

Nonetheless, the Colombian president made his announcement a bit late into the process. If he thought there was a good chance of getting it then they should have entered a bid three years earlier. Now they look like they're going back on their word of supporting the one candidacy for South America.
Old July 25th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #1100
kaunaz

Likes (Received): 1

I don't like that WC 2010 will host RSA, so if it would be my choice I'll pick Brazil 2010.
2014 it would be England, and maybe Australia 2018. Again Europe(Russia) 2022, and only 2026 in Africa.

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup