daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 27th, 2006, 02:45 AM   #1161
pompeyfan

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullswool
How big does the stadiums have to be? Perth's new stadium is meant to be 60k/65k I think. Maybe that is too small when I think about it lol.
Thats bigger than most of the German Stadiums and RSA ones too

By the way, these are the stadiums i believe will be chosen.

Melbourne - Telstra Dome 55000-ish (expandable)
Sydney - Telstra Stadium 80000 (expandable)
Brisbane - Suncorp Stadium 53000 (expandable to 70000)
Townsville - Dairy Farmers 25000 (expandable to ?)
Perth - Future 65000
Melbourne / Sydney 100000 / 50000
(MCG) (Aussie)
Adelaide - AAMI Stadium 40000 (Expandable)
Newcastle - EnergyAustralia 25000 (expandable)
Gosford - Bluewater Stadium 25000 (expandable)
Launceston - Aurora Stadium 40000 (after renovations)
Canberra - Bruce Stadium 30000 (expandable)

There are many viable stadiums there - with only one new one to be built. It is sustainable for many of these stadiums to keep the extra seats after the World Cup. Many of these stadiums are home to A-league teams. The attendances to the A-league has already reached 40000 with an average of 17000. Give it ten years and it can be 37000 in average attendance. The sport has only recently taken off in Australia and the response has been enormous.

Keep up with my latest projects here

Last edited by pompeyfan; September 27th, 2006 at 03:03 AM. Reason: more to add
pompeyfan no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2006, 03:54 AM   #1162
Iggui
Tercermundista de corazón

Likes (Received): 1237

it seems to me that the only big obstacle to australia hosting a world cup isn't its infrastructure, know-how, size, distance, or season, but the international football pecking order. there are other larger (and more influential countries, at least from a football standpoint) who would be chosen over australia.

2014 is for the americas, 2018 will be for europe. 2022 would be australia's first crack at a world cup, but if it's hosted in asia again (since australia is now part of that confederation) it will probably go to china (FIFA has been eager to break into that market, and a billion+ chinese are more mouthwatering than 20M australians, from a $$$ standpoint). i'd say 2034 perhaps might give australia another chance. i think australia is a great sporting nation, more than capable of staging a world cup, but unfortunately it will be a while. but i sincerely believe it's inevitable that australia will host a world cup, later rather than soon unfortunately.
Old September 27th, 2006, 04:22 AM   #1163
Noostairz

Likes (Received): 10

too few 40,000 plus purpose-built football stadiums in too few regions of a country with unfriendly viewing hours for europe, africa and south america. also would these AFL stadiums even be available in june? doesn't that conflict with the domestic sports season?

as much as i admire australia's olympics effort i just don't see this happening. by 2018 europe (and whether you like it or not uefa is king) won't have hosted the world cup for 12yrs. basically it's going to europe, which means spain or england, and spain last had it in 82 - england last had it in 66. it's a no-brainer, really, especially given england's footballing culture (home of football, first FA, oldest clubs, most watched domestic league, historic venues, modern stadia, legends of the game, etc, etc).

here's a thought: australia supports england 2018, we support australia 2022. deal?

LONG LIVE THE ANGLOSPHERE!

Last edited by Noostairz; September 27th, 2006 at 04:29 AM.
Noostairz no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2006, 05:40 AM   #1164
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

The World Cup coincides with the mid-season break in the AFL season but that won't be long enough. A possible solution could be doing away with the pre-season and shifting the first half of the AFL season a few weeks back. The NRL is less of a problem because clubs actually still play at their own grounds.

Melbourne did okay this year with the Commonwealth Games leaving only one stadium, but the AFL does not have enough clout to get in the way of the World Cup (remember, the MCG still belongs to the Melbourne Cricket Club and they'll be happy as long as they get their cut) and I think they'd rather move the season forward than try to squeeze everything into smaller stadiums, considering that the average attendance is about 35,000 and some clubs really do need all the takings from the gate they can get to break even.

And in 16 years, a lot could happen. 16 years ago, Waverley Park was still pretty new (it has since been demolished) and Telstra Dome was a derelict rail yard. Soccer (I avoid using the ambiguous term 'football') was being run deeper and deeper into the ground by an incompetent body and basketball was enjoying relative popularity.

Hell, the A-League might even convince Telstra Dome's management that it is viable to make the retractable stands operational again.
invincible no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2006, 07:08 AM   #1165
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Stunning. I've been here 6 years and I'd never heard that the seating was retractable at the Dome. It's a joke that they haven't taken advantage of that with all the events that have been put on there.

Suddenly I'm all optimistic about the World Cup coming here - all we have to do is increase the population by around 200% and get rid of this AFL crap (both of which are happening gradually anyway).
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2006, 07:26 AM   #1166
Tyson

Likes (Received): 459

Gradual maybe! Any more gradual and it would stop completely.

I think Australia would have no trouble hosting the event at all. People will find things to critisize of course like viewing and stuff. But anyway I don't think Australia would get it, there are a few other countries ahead of us and we don't have the influence with FIFA.
Old September 28th, 2006, 08:28 AM   #1167
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

Likes (Received): 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk
Stunning. I've been here 6 years and I'd never heard that the seating was retractable at the Dome. It's a joke that they haven't taken advantage of that with all the events that have been put on there.

Suddenly I'm all optimistic about the World Cup coming here - all we have to do is increase the population by around 200% and get rid of this AFL crap (both of which are happening gradually anyway).
Funny because AFL is owning NRL and NRL is owning the Soccer.
Soccer will fail because of it's entertainment value why do you think Aussie Rules Dominates everywere it goes? Because of it's speed, scared mothers who look after there boys make them play soccer but they grow up supporting Rugby codes /AFL.

Soccer's best hope is to develop into SEAsia and develop one high level comp, otherwise it will never ever develop in Australia. It will also always be along side Australian rules that is growing quite well overseas in popularity.
Sec. 31 But how far has he given it us? To enjoy. As much as anyone can make use of to any advantage of life before it spoils, whatever is beyond this, is more than his share, and belongs to others. Nothing was made by God for man to spoil or destroy. And thus considering the plenty of natural provisions there was a long time in the world, and the few spenders, and to how small a part provision the industry of one man could extend itself, and ingross itself to the prejudice of others.
- John Locke
Citystyle no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2006, 03:20 PM   #1168
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

What's that? Football might not develop in a 20 million country with little in the way of cultural contributions to the world, on the periphery of the globe with little in the way of donations to the common human civilisation. You mean we will have to put up with expanding into one of the most ancient societies with a population of 1.3 Billion and one of the world's finest civilisations. Say it ain't so.
Old September 28th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #1169
MLH
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

It would be good to have the World Cup here, we always put on a good show when we host international events.
MLH no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2006, 06:36 AM   #1170
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citystyle
Aussie Rules Dominates everywere it goes?
That'll be why Queensland only has one team, which despite winning back to back titles still very much takes a back seat to the NRL sides.

Also, it'll be why NSW only has one team, which despite winning last year's title, and being in this year's final, still takes a back seat to the NRL sides.

As for overseas... No professional leagues in any country other than Australia.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2006, 07:03 AM   #1171
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

Likes (Received): 501

Quote:
That'll be why Queensland only has one team, which despite winning back to back titles still very much takes a back seat to the NRL sides.

Also, it'll be why NSW only has one team, which despite winning last year's title, and being in this year's final, still takes a back seat to the NRL sides.

As for overseas... No professional leagues in any country other than Australia.
The only reason more people in Sydney will watch the NRL grandfinal is because it's in prime time not miday. Compare NRL to mabey the VFL or SANFL it's a highly suburban group of teams, the AFL in ten years will be in a position to move two more teams from Melbourne and make the AFL truly national.

But like i said anyway people who play soccer go onto follow other sports. Soccer needs to copy Rugby union.
Sec. 31 But how far has he given it us? To enjoy. As much as anyone can make use of to any advantage of life before it spoils, whatever is beyond this, is more than his share, and belongs to others. Nothing was made by God for man to spoil or destroy. And thus considering the plenty of natural provisions there was a long time in the world, and the few spenders, and to how small a part provision the industry of one man could extend itself, and ingross itself to the prejudice of others.
- John Locke
Citystyle no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2006, 03:44 AM   #1172
Weebie

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible View Post
The World Cup coincides with the mid-season break in the AFL season but that won't be long enough. A possible solution could be doing away with the pre-season and shifting the first half of the AFL season a few weeks back. The NRL is less of a problem because clubs actually still play at their own grounds.

Melbourne did okay this year with the Commonwealth Games leaving only one stadium, but the AFL does not have enough clout to get in the way of the World Cup (remember, the MCG still belongs to the Melbourne Cricket Club and they'll be happy as long as they get their cut) and I think they'd rather move the season forward than try to squeeze everything into smaller stadiums, considering that the average attendance is about 35,000 and some clubs really do need all the takings from the gate they can get to break even.

And in 16 years, a lot could happen. 16 years ago, Waverley Park was still pretty new (it has since been demolished) and Telstra Dome was a derelict rail yard. Soccer (I avoid using the ambiguous term 'football') was being run deeper and deeper into the ground by an incompetent body and basketball was enjoying relative popularity.

Hell, the A-League might even convince Telstra Dome's management that it is viable to make the retractable stands operational again.
I know you live in Melbourne and find this hard to believe but the AFL is only popular in 3 States If Australia were to get the World Cup The AFL or the MCG would have no bargaining power in anything and basically With FIFA requiring to have Stadiums in posession 2 months prior to the World Cup they would have to maybe put that season on hold.
Weebie no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2006, 02:46 PM   #1173
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citystyle View Post
The only reason more people in Sydney will watch the NRL grandfinal is because it's in prime time not miday. Compare NRL to mabey the VFL or SANFL it's a highly suburban group of teams, the AFL in ten years will be in a position to move two more teams from Melbourne and make the AFL truly national.

But like i said anyway people who play soccer go onto follow other sports. Soccer needs to copy Rugby union.
Absolute trash. You believe that if the ALF grandfinal was moved to prime time more people would watch it? I wonder if those in charge at the FA in England have heard of this revolutionary concept - move the FA Cup final to prime-time and improve the ratings.

Funny that the AFL appears to be growing, yet as a closed competition with just 16 clubs and excellent tv rights and sponsorship deals, yet here in Melbourne, the home of AFL, 4 of those 16 teams just about ready to fold due to lack of interest.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2006, 03:45 PM   #1174
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

australia would be capable in 2018, whether they win is another thing, 2022 could be their chance,not capable at the moment
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2006, 04:58 PM   #1175
RSG

Likes (Received): 4

There is no reason that Australia cannot host the world cup. Soccer games can be held at AFL/Cricket stadiums. The spectators are just a bit further back. It is not the end of the world for them. Australia has shown how good we are at hosting world events.

Quote:
all we have to do is increase the population by around 200%
That is a dumb comment (no offence). We held the Olympics didn't we and our GNP is the 18th largest in the world. Our population does not matter.

Last edited by RSG; October 1st, 2006 at 05:11 PM.
RSG no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2006, 05:55 PM   #1176
Lostboy

That is a dumb comment (no offence). We held the Olympics didn't we and our GNP is the 18th largest in the world. Our population does not matter.

No, this is a very dumb reply, his comments were both astute and accurate.

The Olympics "merely" requires one very large city complete with a host of sporting facilities (which could then become national sporting facilities, ie you only need one great Velodrome, gymnastics arena etc). It's tough but there's absolutely no reason why somewhere like Sydney and Melbourne can put on as good an Olympics as New York (for a fictional example).

On the other hand, the World Cup, a bigger competition, has a far larger requirement rate. It requires at the bare minimum (and following this bare minimum is ill advised for a successful bid) ten stadia, spread across nine cities, as well as meeting all the successful requirements of FIFA's comfort and safety regulations they must all be at least 40,000 in seating capacity. FIFA doesn't like white elephants, and neither would the hosting nation. You must then have nine cities large enough to support a 40,000 stadia.

Your population matters a lot.
Old October 1st, 2006, 10:48 PM   #1177
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post

No, this is a very dumb reply, his comments were both astute and accurate.

The Olympics "merely" requires one very large city complete with a host of sporting facilities (which could then become national sporting facilities, ie you only need one great Velodrome, gymnastics arena etc). It's tough but there's absolutely no reason why somewhere like Sydney and Melbourne can put on as good an Olympics as New York (for a fictional example).

On the other hand, the World Cup, a bigger competition, has a far larger requirement rate. It requires at the bare minimum (and following this bare minimum is ill advised for a successful bid) ten stadia, spread across nine cities, as well as meeting all the successful requirements of FIFA's comfort and safety regulations they must all be at least 40,000 in seating capacity. FIFA doesn't like white elephants, and neither would the hosting nation. You must then have nine cities large enough to support a 40,000 stadia.

Your population matters a lot.

Firstly, many of the points you make are correct. 8 stadia are required by Fifa and not 10. The 2002 world cup produced an immense amount of white elephants, some of which have now been demolished. Australia can certainly provide 8 stadia in 7 cities. With either sydney or melbourn hosting two matches, Fifa may even considering the situation of australia allow sydney and melbourne to provide two match venues. Venues in other parts of the country could be upgraded to 40,000 and downscaled to 25,000 after the games. In terms of stadia Australia certainly wont fail to produce a feasible plan. Eight stadia in 7 cities? Yes Australia can meet that "challenge".http://www.skyscrapercity.com/newrep...ply&p=10036974

In 2018 or 2022:

1. MCG
2. Telstra Dome
3. Telsta Stadium
4. Suncorp stadium
5. Stadium WA (Perth)
6. Canberra stadium (upgraded to 40,000)
7. Aussie stadium

along with others to meet the requirement of 8, e.g. energy stadium australia, a stadium in adelaide, or others temporarily upgraded to seat 40,000
so why not?
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2006, 12:34 PM   #1178
SA BOY
South Straddie QLD

Likes (Received): 468

Having been to 9 games of the rugby world cup in 2003, there is deffinatly merrit in the AFL/Cricket grounds being shit to watch a rectangular sport such as soccer or rugby. I felt so detached from the game and the game at Subi wasent great to watch when you are low down and the action is on the other side.
However the SCG and Suncorp were fantastic and suncorp is probably the best rugby venue I have watched the game at due to its great viewing lines and overall functionabilty.
Sorry to say but unless there are more NRL/Big Soccer grounds then the AFL/Cricket grounds wont be good enough for FIFA requirements
Old October 2nd, 2006, 01:53 PM   #1179
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA BOY View Post
Having been to 9 games of the rugby world cup in 2003, there is deffinatly merrit in the AFL/Cricket grounds being shit to watch a rectangular sport such as soccer or rugby. I felt so detached from the game and the game at Subi wasent great to watch when you are low down and the action is on the other side.
However the SCG and Suncorp were fantastic and suncorp is probably the best rugby venue I have watched the game at due to its great viewing lines and overall functionabilty.
Sorry to say but unless there are more NRL/Big Soccer grounds then the AFL/Cricket grounds wont be good enough for FIFA requirements
I rest my case.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2006, 03:23 PM   #1180
Lostboy

Firstly, many of the points you make are correct.

Thanks.

8 stadia are required by Fifa and not 10.

Every other source and poster on these boards have said ten, and I'll continue to believe that is the number until you can produce some evidence otherwise. After all the minimum for European Championships run by UEFA (with half the number of games) is 8. Ten is the minimum, in nine cities.

The 2002 world cup produced an immense amount of white elephants, some of which have now been demolished.

Thus making UEFA further aware of this problem and not wishing to repeat such a scenario again, likely to make them examine the viability of stadia in future bids. If anything this backs by point up further.

Remember a lot of Australian Posters seem to be talking about what they can do to produce the bare minimum for requirements. As if its somehow some kind of New Years Party "G'day Shane, just calling to check if you don't mind sleeping on a matress on the floor, it's really full at the moment" "Ah no worries mate, me and the Sheila don't mind this".

FIFA is not some organisation that will be willing to compromise as much as the Australians (somewhat arrogantly) seem to believe. Cricket Grounds which are unsuitable will not be wanting by FIFA, a bare minimum bid, above superb rival bids, will not get the go ahead simply for giving the opportunity for a nation of 20 million to host an event where Football is the fifth or sixth biggest sport, in ill designed stadia which are not economical to use afterwards. Australia will have to do a lot better. The commercial pressure of further embedding the beautiful game inside the world's largest nation, which could effortlessly provide, sixteen 50.000 + stadia in as many cities, with great transport links, and a great opportunity for FIFA to make a stunning profit, would far surpass an Antipodean Bid, if China decide to go for the 2022.

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup