daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 3rd, 2006, 07:13 PM   #1181
Verbal Kint
Storyteller

Likes (Received): 0

The reason Australia won't get the World Cup is that Australians are too busy wrestling crocodiles to bother about football.

Last edited by Verbal Kint; October 3rd, 2006 at 07:23 PM.
Verbal Kint no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2006, 01:15 AM   #1182
pompeyfan

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbal Kint View Post
The reason Australia won't get the World Cup is that Australians are too busy wrestling crocodiles to bother about football.
Now that is just wrong. Many people in Beerwah (my hometown and where Australia Zoo is) are still mourning the loss. To come out with a comment like that makes you one very low human being

Keep up with my latest projects here
pompeyfan no está en línea  
Old October 4th, 2006, 03:21 AM   #1183
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6303

I'm sure (I hope) he didn't mean anything by that remark, so lets not get off topic and start argueing over that issue, ok?

First of all, in relation to what Mo Rush said about '8 stadia are required by Fifa and not 10', I'm afraid this is incorrect (but I still love ya Mo ). Lostboy is right on this occassion, the minimum requirements by FIFA are now 10 stadia in 9 cities (although this does not mean you can't have more then 10 stadiums in the bid, as long as you first meet the minumum requirements). Germany did this and SA will be doing this in 2010.

I imagine in the future (probably not before 2018) they might even raise the requirements of a bid, maybe having 45,000 as a minimum stadium capacity and maybe requiring more stadiums/cities...who knows?

I think hosting the WC will be very difficult for Australia, due to a number of factors:

-Although having 2 or 3 very big and well known cities and a couple more medium/small sized cities, Australia kinda runs out of suitable sized cities after that, and meeting the required 9 cities with the appropriate transport/accomodation, infastructure etc etc etc will be quite a challenge, though FIFA might relax the rules on such an occassion.

-The WC co-incides with the Australian...AFL season is it??....well whatever, the point is there will have to be some major rescheduling going on cus FIFA aint gonna change when the WC is held.

-The time difference with the rest of the world (principally Europe and North America) is going to be a bit awkward for viewing the matches, which would account to a loss of income for FIFA. This is not a problem that can't be worked around or just accepted, but it is still another factor against an Australian bid.

-With Australia now in the Asian confederation they will have competition from China, who would quite likely win in a battle between the two if it came down to just one from the continent.

-Australia's team ranking, while improved significantly by the 2006 WC, will still have to be kept high,or preferably raised, for a bid to be seriously considered by FIFA. So Australia could really do with qualifying for the next two WCs.

-Although the popularity of football is growing nicely, it is still not nearly as popular as in many other countries (such as Engurland ) where the WC tournament is seen as a religious event!!

------------------------

Now I'm not condemming the possibility of Australia hosing a WC, not at all. Australia can usually pull off any sporting event magnificently and with a great atmosphere and crowd support. I for one would love to see a WC in Australia (I would probably go see it!), and I think that these obsticles can be overcome, so the title of this thread is, imo, a little premature!

However, as stated above, there are numerous reasons why hosting the WC would be extremely difficult for Auz.

And from what I have seen on this thread and heard in the media, I don't think most Australians know just how demanding hosting a WC is. I've heard quite a few Auzzie ministers and officials backing their support for a WC bid and blasting on about how they have hosted a succesful Olympics and CW games and they are sure the WC can be done in the same manner.....and I'm thinking 'This is totally different!'

As Lostboy pointed out in a previous post, the WC is in a totally different league to all other tournaments, it is the MAC DADDY of tournamnts, and you cannot hope to compare it to something like the Olympics which only require one city, one stadium and a few other venues such as Aquatics centre and veldrome. So so so so sooooo may countries these days can host an Olympics, whereas the list of countries that are able to host the football WC is pretty short, and getting shorter year by year it seams as FIFA increase the requirements. Many countries that once hosted a WC, even 20 years ago, would struggle to do so now, and would be forced to joint host it, which FIFA says won't be happening any more.

10 stadiums, all of which have to meet strict FIFA guidelines and be suitable for a football match, mimimum capacity of 40,000, with all (or pretty much all) the seats under cover. 9 cities capable of accomodating spectators and generally offering a good experience, with decent infastructure, transport, facilities, entertainment etc etc.

Can Australia do it....meh...who knows...I say they probably can, especially when we're talking about 12 or more years from now, when who knows what might have happened. As long as the bid doesn't conflict with Engurlands, I will back it all the way...so Engurland 2018, Auzzie 2022...deal?

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea  
Old October 4th, 2006, 04:38 AM   #1184
Weebie

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citystyle View Post
Funny because AFL is owning NRL and NRL is owning the Soccer.
Soccer will fail because of it's entertainment value why do you think Aussie Rules Dominates everywere it goes? Because of it's speed, scared mothers who look after there boys make them play soccer but they grow up supporting Rugby codes /AFL.

Soccer's best hope is to develop into SEAsia and develop one high level comp, otherwise it will never ever develop in Australia. It will also always be along side Australian rules that is growing quite well overseas in popularity.
Idiot.
Weebie no está en línea  
Old October 4th, 2006, 05:35 AM   #1185
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Whilst I don't believe Australia will get the finals, as suggested by the fact that I started this thread, I have to admit I started the thread more as a way of proving a point with regard to the (mainly) Australian arrogance about being able to stand-in at short notice if things go wrong in SA or Brazil. I believe that, in truth, their are only two things stopping and Australian bid - one is the lack of football stadia, the other is the low population (whilst the Olympics is principally about the ability to stage the event, the World Cup is principally about spreading the gospel according to FIFA).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit Slim View Post
I think hosting the WC will be very difficult for Australia, due to a number of factors:

-Although having 2 or 3 very big and well known cities and a couple more medium/small sized cities, Australia kinda runs out of suitable sized cities after that, and meeting the required 9 cities with the appropriate transport/accomodation, infastructure etc etc etc will be quite a challenge, though FIFA might relax the rules on such an occassion.
Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Canberra, Newcastle, Geelong,
the coastal sprawl of the Gold Coast (Tweed), Woolongong - that's 10 without sinking to the desperate levels of Hobart, Darwin or Alice Springs (imagine a world cup match in Alice though, surreal). Population of the smallest on that list (Woolongong) is 275k, population of Kaiserslautern is 101k (and Kaiserslautern hosted world cup fixtures).

Quote:
-The WC co-incides with the Australian...AFL season is it??....well whatever, the point is there will have to be some major rescheduling going on cus FIFA aint gonna change when the WC is held.
If they are to win a bid for the finals, I reckon AFL venues would have to be ruled out anyway due to viewing conditions, so the timing of the AFL season would be irrelevent. It would be rugby that would probably be messed about - rugby stadiums being the more likely venues to switch to football.

Quote:
-The time difference with the rest of the world (principally Europe and North America) is going to be a bit awkward for viewing the matches, which would account to a loss of income for FIFA. This is not a problem that can't be worked around or just accepted, but it is still another factor against an Australian bid.
Didn't cause a major problem for Japan/Korea, and wouldn't be seen as a problem for China.

Quote:
-With Australia now in the Asian confederation they will have competition from China, who would quite likely win in a battle between the two if it came down to just one from the continent.
No question.

Quote:
-Australia's team ranking, while improved significantly by the 2006 WC, will still have to be kept high,or preferably raised, for a bid to be seriously considered by FIFA. So Australia could really do with qualifying for the next two WCs.
Ranking will be significantly higher now that they are in Asia rather than Oceania - easier to qualify for the finals as the 4th best team in Asia than by beating the 5th best team in South America.

Quote:
-Although the popularity of football is growing nicely, it is still not nearly as popular as in many other countries (such as Engurland ) where the WC tournament is seen as a religious event!!
True. But as a football missionary here in Oz, I'm doing my best to get the savages on the right track.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old October 4th, 2006, 02:26 PM   #1186
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

Many English on these boards seem to jokingly want to do a deal with Australia (Eng 2018, then Aus 2012) why?

Why do we owe Australians undying support and allegiance? They are a very right-wing country that we have little in common with, live on the other side of the world and don't even like football. Whilst I am sure Australia appeals to the masses with it's plebian attitudes on just about everything, it seems quite an unappealing country to me. And even if it wasn't there is an absolutely appalling amount of Anglophobia and general anti-English hatred going on in Australia.

Aside from the fact that the bid here seems very bad "Well we'll just stick a few games in cricket stadia, and as for not having enough hotel space, I know for a fact my Auntie Kylie has a spare couple of rooms in her house and she'd be more than happy to put a couple of people up for a few weeks". Australia has little in the way of history or culture. China just oozes with it. Lets not forget when Europeans were worshipping an unusually phallic shaped rock, the Chinese were living in sophisticated urban living, with some very sophisticated technologies and organisation (incl 24 hour restaurants, no joke). Now its an exciting and vibrant culture with a population far surpassing anywhere else, and unlike Australia it will invariably offer a superb bid with 16 50,000+ Stadia.
Old October 4th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #1187
BaronVonChickenpants

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
Many English on these boards seem to jokingly want to do a deal with Australia (Eng 2018, then Aus 2012) why?

Why do we owe Australians undying support and allegiance? They are a very right-wing country that we have little in common with, live on the other side of the world and don't even like football. Whilst I am sure Australia appeals to the masses with it's plebian attitudes on just about everything, it seems quite an unappealing country to me. And even if it wasn't there is an absolutely appalling amount of Anglophobia and general anti-English hatred going on in Australia.

Aside from the fact that the bid here seems very bad "Well we'll just stick a few games in cricket stadia, and as for not having enough hotel space, I know for a fact my Auntie Kylie has a spare couple of rooms in her house and she'd be more than happy to put a couple of people up for a few weeks". Australia has little in the way of history or culture. China just oozes with it. Lets not forget when Europeans were worshipping an unusually phallic shaped rock, the Chinese were living in sophisticated urban living, with some very sophisticated technologies and organisation (incl 24 hour restaurants, no joke). Now its an exciting and vibrant culture with a population far surpassing anywhere else, and unlike Australia it will invariably offer a superb bid with 16 50,000+ Stadia.

oh well done.....you've just turned a half decent thread into an English vOz slanging match.....don't bother replying to this anybody please..especially those from down under
quite what China's past history has to do with it,i don't know
BaronVonChickenpants no está en línea  
Old October 4th, 2006, 10:11 PM   #1188
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
I'm sure (I hope) he didn't mean anything by that remark, so lets not get off topic and start argueing over that issue, ok?

First of all, in relation to what Mo Rush said about '8 stadia are required by Fifa and not 10', I'm afraid this is incorrect (but I still love ya Mo ). Lostboy is right on this occassion, the minimum requirements by FIFA are now 10 stadia in 9 cities (although this does not mean you can't have more then 10 stadiums in the bid, as long as you first meet the minumum requirements). Germany did this and SA will be doing this in 2010.

I imagine in the future (probably not before 2018) they might even raise the requirements of a bid, maybe having 45,000 as a minimum stadium capacity and maybe requiring more stadiums/cities...who knows?

------------------------

Now I'm not condemming the possibility of Australia hosing a WC, not at all. Australia can usually pull off any sporting event magnificently and with a great atmosphere and crowd support. I for one would love to see a WC in Australia (I would probably go see it!), and I think that these obsticles can be overcome, so the title of this thread is, imo, a little premature!

However, as stated above, there are numerous reasons why hosting the WC would be extremely difficult for Auz.

And from what I have seen on this thread and heard in the media, I don't think most Australians know just how demanding hosting a WC is. I've heard quite a few Auzzie ministers and officials backing their support for a WC bid and blasting on about how they have hosted a succesful Olympics and CW games and they are sure the WC can be done in the same manner.....and I'm thinking 'This is totally different!'

As Lostboy pointed out in a previous post, the WC is in a totally different league to all other tournaments, it is the MAC DADDY of tournamnts, and you cannot hope to compare it to something like the Olympics which only require one city, one stadium and a few other venues such as Aquatics centre and veldrome. So so so so sooooo may countries these days can host an Olympics, whereas the list of countries that are able to host the football WC is pretty short, and getting shorter year by year it seams as FIFA increase the requirements. Many countries that once hosted a WC, even 20 years ago, would struggle to do so now, and would be forced to joint host it, which FIFA says won't be happening any more.

10 stadiums, all of which have to meet strict FIFA guidelines and be suitable for a football match, mimimum capacity of 40,000, with all (or pretty much all) the seats under cover. 9 cities capable of accomodating spectators and generally offering a good experience, with decent infastructure, transport, facilities, entertainment etc etc.

Can Australia do it....meh...who knows...I say they probably can, especially when we're talking about 12 or more years from now, when who knows what might have happened. As long as the bid doesn't conflict with Engurlands, I will back it all the way...so Engurland 2018, Auzzie 2022...deal?

when did the stadium requirements change?

"Fifa requires a minimum of eight stadiums per bidding country, with a minimum capacity of 40 000 per stadium."

"More stadiums, and better

Buddy Naidu

A country, according to Fifa regulations, requires just eight stadiums with a minimum seating capacity of 40 000 to successfully stage a World Cup. "

"New facilities will be built in Nelspruit, Pretoria, Port Elizabeth and Kimberley at an estimated cost of about R1.8 billion.

Football's governing body, the Federation of International Football Associations, only requires eight stadiums."
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old October 5th, 2006, 02:11 AM   #1189
Benjuk

Quote:

Speaking as an Englishman who lives in Australia - I'd have to say that I've never once experienced any ant-English hatred (other than during the Ashes, and even then it's very much tongue in cheek). As for history and culture, Aus has got it if you choose to look for it - and as much classic history as China has, they also have this pesky human rights thing hanging over their heads (mind you, to be fair, Australia can't sing and dance about their human rights stance - see, I'm balanced).

If you find the country unappealling, fine. However, having lived for the first 29 years of my life in England, and the last 7 in Oz, I'd say that in my careful and balanced opinion - the colourful, warm, friendly, optimistic, and generally upbeat atmosphere here in Oz smacks the crap out of the dull, cold, miserable, negative and generally dead atmosphere in England.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old October 5th, 2006, 02:23 AM   #1190
Verbal Kint
Storyteller

Crocodile Dundee backs the bid!

Old October 5th, 2006, 04:12 AM   #1191
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
Speaking as an Englishman who lives in Australia - I'd have to say that I've never once experienced any ant-English hatred (other than during the Ashes, and even then it's very much tongue in cheek).
I wouldn't pay too much attension to Lostboy; although he does come out with quite a few relevant comments that hold good information, this is conterballanced by the other half of his comments which are generally negative, stereotypical, antagonising views against some other country.

Lostboy, like Benjuk, I have never experienced any of this bitter anti-English vibe when I've been to Australia, no more so then the English with the Auzzies. Generally there exists a decent relationship between the two countries, the fatherland and the offspring. Both like to rile eachother up a bit in good humour, especially when the Ashes comes along, but for the most part both sets of people enjoy visting eachothers countries and the people there. If you've had a bad experience with an Auzzie, please don't generalise the whole nation and drag this thread off topik, ok?

Quote:
As for history and culture, Aus has got it if you choose to look for it - and as much classic history as China has,
I'm inclined to agree with most of your comment mate, but this part just aint true! Not by a country mile!

Quote:
I'd say that in my careful and balanced opinion - the colourful, warm, friendly, optimistic, and generally upbeat atmosphere here in Oz smacks the crap out of the dull, cold, miserable, negative and generally dead atmosphere in England.
This is a sports discussion, so I will assume you're talking in relavance to sporting occassions and not the atmosphere of people when they go to work or something else. So I have to FULLY disagree with you on this point. England creates a better atmosphere at football matches then any...yes ANY...country you could care to mention. Not to mention the fact that the English support in football competitions if allways wayyyyy higher then any other nation, as demonstrated once again this summer in Germany, when there were almost as many English supporters in Germany as there were Germans!! It's the same with most sports, but in particular football! So if you're suggesting an Auzzie WC would be better in terms of atmosphere, you'd not get many who'd agree with you on that point, whether they were English or not!! And as for it being cold...in England this summer we had some temperatures exceeding those in the carribbean!! The nice conditions of an English summer would be much better for a football tournament then the sweltering, acrid heat of the Auzzie land, especially for athletes running around for 90 mins!!

In response to you my main man Mo, could you provide me with a document or some sort of concrete evidence that only 8 stadiums are required, cus I coulda sworn I saw something recently that said it was 10 stadia in 9 cities. I mean, Germany had 10, and so will SA in 2010, and so will South America in 2014....so...you know...

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Old October 5th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #1192
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Speaking as an Englishman who lives in Australia - I'd have to say that I've never once experienced any ant-English hatred (other than during the Ashes, and even then it's very much tongue in cheek). As for history and culture, Aus has got it if you choose to look for it - and as much classic history as China has, they also have this pesky human rights thing hanging over their heads (mind you, to be fair, Australia can't sing and dance about their human rights stance - see, I'm balanced).

If you find the country unappealling, fine. However, having lived for the first 29 years of my life in England, and the last 7 in Oz, I'd say that in my careful and balanced opinion - the colourful, warm, friendly, optimistic, and generally upbeat atmosphere here in Oz smacks the crap out of the dull, cold, miserable, negative and generally dead atmosphere in England.
englishman who lives in australia..sounds funny..all australians are englishmen. its not like any other nation pitched up to start the country.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old October 7th, 2006, 04:20 AM   #1193
Chairman

Australia will get it, it's a shoe in. Only a matter of when my friends.
Chairman no está en línea  
Old October 7th, 2006, 04:35 AM   #1194
Cristov„o471

Likes (Received): 12

Yeah those english football (soccer) games have great atmosphere alright
  • Blood noses
  • Usually Seperated supporters
  • Riots
  • Annoying and angry Chavs

Pretty good Eh...

Well I hope Australia gets it atlest once in this century (preferably next 15 years) Cities will definatley have to upgrade their stadiums such as: Canberra, Adelaide etc.
But I think it would be a great idea that everyone could enjoy.
Cristov„o471 no está en línea  
Old October 7th, 2006, 02:49 PM   #1195
Verbal Kint
Storyteller

Australians talk funny.
Old October 7th, 2006, 07:15 PM   #1196
Platypus
Go Krauthammer!

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Australia has little in the way of history or culture. China just oozes with it. Lets not forget when Europeans were worshipping an unusually phallic shaped rock, the Chinese were living in sophisticated urban living, with some very sophisticated technologies and organisation (incl 24 hour restaurants, no joke). Now its an exciting and vibrant culture with a population far surpassing anywhere else, and unlike Australia it will invariably offer a superb bid with 16 50,000+ Stadia.
Yes, lets look at China's history and culture:-

1950's = 'The great leap forward'. Millions of chinese starved to death due to Mao's tyrannical economic policies. China invaded Tibet, introducing cultural genocide as they force many Han chinese to migrate to dilute the local culture.

1960's= 'The cultural revolution'. Hundreds of thousands of chinese were murdered or thrown in prison for no reason. Many ancient cultural artifacts were destroyed by the red guards.

1989= The Chinese Communist Government murders thousands of their own citizens at Tiannanmin square. Those murdered were students and workers protesting for democracy and freedom.

Present day= China supports enlightened dictatorships such as Iran and North Korea. It still committs massive human rights abuses against it's own people.

Give me Australian history and cuture anyday!

Last edited by Platypus; October 7th, 2006 at 07:40 PM.
Platypus no está en línea  
Old October 8th, 2006, 02:21 AM   #1197
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisboy47 View Post
Yeah those english football (soccer) games have great atmosphere alright
  • Blood noses
  • Usually Seperated supporters
  • Riots
  • Annoying and angry Chavs
You, my friend, are getting really pathetic...I came to this thread to discuss the likelyhood of Australia hosting the 2018/2022 WC, and I have given a fair anylysis of it and I've already said I think Australia would do a great job of hosting such an event, if given the chance.

And yet you, for some reason, are bound up by obnoxious stereotypes- generally the fallback option of dimwitted people who can't handle constrcutive critism and take it as a personal affront to themsleves.

My original point was simpley that no nation would create a better atmosphere at a football match/tournament then the English, and this is undeniable. So you, in retort, instead of moving on and accepting the point, maybe giving a counter-arguement or offering something that Australia can bring to a WC, decide to list stereotypical nonsense....

Do you list the fact that the Premiership is the safest, cleanest and trouble-free league in the world??? Do you list the great efforts the English FA have gone to wipe out football violence, racism, pitch invasions etc which has had great effect over the past 20 years or so?? Do you point out the blatent corruption and outbreaks of fashism by some fans in the Italian leagues?? Do you list the widespread racism in Spain coupled with numerous fan violence over recent years?? Do you list the numerous (I stress 'numerous' to the point of 'every day') fan trouble taking place in Brazil, the probable host of the 2014 WC, with stones thrown between sets of supporters on a regular basis?? Do you list the fact that so so so sooo many stadiums throughout Europe and the world have great big steel fences in them to block off the fans from the pitch to prevent fan intrusion, and yet this is not required in England??? Do you list the fact that once again the English supporters at this year's WC were voted the best, and that out of the 300,000+ supporters that went, only a few hundred got in trouble (mainly a bit of drunken brawls)??? Do you list the fact that England has the oldest and richest football history and culture anywhere in the world??
Do you list any of that??? Did you bother to look into the matter??? No, guess not, so next time, think before verbally spewing crap onto a thread, ok son?

But if you meant it as a joke and were not being serious...no harm done...

Oh, and btw, please don't bother responding to any of that, as I really don't wanna waste more time then already has been done discussing these points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
Yes, lets look at China's history and culture:-

1950's = 'The great leap forward'. Millions of chinese starved to death due to Mao's tyrannical economic policies. China invaded Tibet, introducing cultural genocide as they force many Han chinese to migrate to dilute the local culture.

1960's= 'The cultural revolution'. Hundreds of thousands of chinese were murdered or thrown in prison for no reason. Many ancient cultural artifacts were destroyed by the red guards.

1989= The Chinese Communist Government murders thousands of their own citizens at Tiannanmin square. Those murdered were students and workers protesting for democracy and freedom.

Present day= China supports enlightened dictatorships such as Iran and North Korea. It still committs massive human rights abuses against it's own people.

Give me Australian history and cuture anyday!
Again, this thread has gone way off topic, and I don't want to drag it further down that path, but I gotta say your comment is a bit dumb. You've chosen a few bad incidents over the past 50 years as a basis for the whole of Chinese culture.....a country that has ciivilisations going back over 6 millenia!!! A country which, for quite a few centuries, was the most powerful country on earth and was far more advanced and civilised then any other nation, inspiring many aspects of the modern world in which we live.
Again, I'm not insulting or going against Australia here, just stating the facts. Sure, China has had some bad times in its history, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a nation that hasn't. Britain has waged war with dam near every country on the planet at some point, enslaving many, killing many, invading and controlling many....I wish everyone had a history of being kind and selfless etc etc, but that's just part of what makes up history.....

Back to 2018/2022.... I think if it comes down to it, the three nations that will be in contension for the 2018 WC will be England, China, and Australia. But I think if it comes down to just one from the Asian confederation, my guess is China, basically because it is the more profitable market that FIFA will be looking to get into, plus they have many more big stadiums more suited to football....sad fact, but true nonetheless....though that aint to say Australia arn't in with a chance, especially if they want it enough, as China don't seem THAT interested at the moment, probably concentrating on the 2008 Olympics!

Old October 9th, 2006, 02:29 AM   #1198
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
englishman who lives in australia..sounds funny..all australians are englishmen. its not like any other nation pitched up to start the country.
I too once believed that the Aussie population consisted of English ex-pats and a few aboriginals, however... I play 'soccer' here every Sunday - as we play around the city of Melbourne we come up against teams made up entirely of Greeks, Turks, Italians, Ethiopians, Scots, and - on one occasion - 11 lads from El Salvador. That's not even touching on the large S.E.Asian communities which make up an ever growing portion of the population over here. I used to live in the Box Hill area of Melbourne, which in the space of a few years went from predominently Italian to predominently Vietnamese.

As for 'starting the country' - it existed for a long time before the English took over. So long, in fact, that historians are unable to explain how the first humans actually got here as their method of travel, historically speaking, hadn't been invented at that time in history.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old October 9th, 2006, 02:39 AM   #1199
Benjuk

Quote:
England creates a better atmosphere at football matches then any...yes ANY...country you could care to mention. Not to mention the fact that the English support in football competitions if allways wayyyyy higher then any other nation, as demonstrated once again this summer in Germany, when there were almost as many English supporters in Germany as there were Germans!! It's the same with most sports, but in particular football! So if you're suggesting an Auzzie WC would be better in terms of atmosphere, you'd not get many who'd agree with you on that point, whether they were English or not!! And as for it being cold...in England this summer we had some temperatures exceeding those in the carribbean!! The nice conditions of an English summer would be much better for a football tournament then the sweltering, acrid heat of the Auzzie land, especially for athletes running around for 90 mins!!
On the whole I agree. My comments were more in response to his wholesale assault on Australia and Australians. The place is nicer, but the support for football isn't.

On the other hand, the best singing I witnessed at the WC was the people of Koln belting out their anthem (not the national anthem) at Czech Rep. vs Ghana, closely followed by the Croatians belting out anything they could think of in their games against Brazil and Australia. The English singing, both in the WC and at league games, tends to be better on the whole because it's often humourous ("Who needs Cantona when we've got Dickie Ord" being the one that sticks in my mind from my days in Sunderland).

One thing for certain, the Aussies can't sing at the match. Very poor attempts, and even at the height of their joy vs Croatia the best they could manage was a weak "Berlin Berlin, we're going to Berlin"
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old October 9th, 2006, 06:53 AM   #1200
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbal Kint View Post
Gee, that was intelligent.
Wezza no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup