daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 9th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #1201
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

As for history and culture, Aus has got it if you choose to look for it - and as much classic history as China has.

ROFLMAO. How can you even seriously type that. History in Australia started with the First Europeans (I'm not aware of native literacy) and whilst neither has any Classical Culture, China has a more or less continuous history going back well over five thousand years, including very advanced literacy. My goodness that comment marks you as the ten pound pom type.

As for 'starting the country' - it existed for a long time before the English took over. So long, in fact, that historians are unable to explain how the first humans actually got here as their method of travel, historically speaking, hadn't been invented at that time in history.

No it most certainly did not start a long time before Europeans arrived on the Australian Continent. Show me the Pre-European Organisation, Government and Homogenous Culture that ruled Australians long before Europeans arrived? So what you actually meant is that there were humans living in what is now Australia, many thousands of years ago. Yes, but so what? That has nothing to do with concepts of nationhood, civilisation and countries. And it doesn't take a world of imagination to explain the arrival of the Aborigines in the Australian Continent.

they also have this pesky human rights thing hanging over their heads (mind you, to be fair, Australia can't sing and dance about their human rights stance - see, I'm balanced).

Of course China has appalling human rights, but they are at least beginning to improve and ultimately China will democratise, it will do so faster under co-operation with the West.

If you find the country unappealling, fine. However, having lived for the first 29 years of my life in England, and the last 7 in Oz, I'd say that in my careful and balanced opinion - the colourful, warm, friendly, optimistic, and generally upbeat atmosphere here in Oz smacks the crap out of the dull, cold, miserable, negative and generally dead atmosphere in England.

Thats fine, and I don't neccessarily disagree with the disparaging remarks against England (merely the lionisation of Australian [anti-]culture). However England is a poor representative of Europe, and I can quite see some appealing aspects of Europe to the plebian white, cultureless England, but for me there is nothing that any Australian City has on Prague, Paris or Barcelona.

Last edited by Lostboy; October 9th, 2006 at 06:49 PM.
Lostboy no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2006, 05:25 AM   #1202
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Dude, Australia's history goes back just a tad further than the first Europeans arriving here.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old October 10th, 2006, 06:00 AM   #1203
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
Dude, Australia's history goes back just a tad further than the first Europeans arriving here.
yes but wouldnt that be the aboriginese? essentially the british are the ones who is responsible for wiping out the old and for the majority of the aus population except for greeks etc.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old October 10th, 2006, 08:42 AM   #1204
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 480

I never found aboriginal history interesting.
Maybe because it didnt have an impact on the world.

On topic though, I can not see ustralia hosting the WC anytime soon. I hope we do though.
Giorgio no está en línea  
Old October 10th, 2006, 02:52 PM   #1205
Weebie

Likes (Received): 5

It seems to hard for Australia to host it and too many new stadiums would have to be built. Give it too England is say!!!!
Weebie no está en línea  
Old October 11th, 2006, 02:27 AM   #1206
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
there is nothing that any Australian City has on Prague, Paris or Barcelona.
Impossible to argue with that.

Also, don't know what I was drinking when I made the comparison between Aussie and Chinese history. I know what I meant, but I don't know how I ended up wording it so stupidly. Fact is though, not that many football fans are interested in checking out ancient historical monuments and museums, etc. When we toured Germany during the WC, the only 'historical' stuff we checked out was Colditz, Dachau, what was once the Berlin Wall, and Zeppelin Field Nuremberg. All war related recent history.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old October 11th, 2006, 06:18 AM   #1207
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Gioяgos] View Post
I never found aboriginal history interesting.
Maybe because it didnt have an impact on the world.

On topic though, I can not see ustralia hosting the WC anytime soon. I hope we do though.
Australia has a better chance than greece at hosting the world cup in 2018 or 2022.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old October 11th, 2006, 07:45 AM   #1208
Weebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
Australia has a better chance than greece at hosting the world cup in 2018 or 2022.
hahahahh true.

Athens = Worst Olympcis ever.
Weebie no está en línea  
Old October 11th, 2006, 07:55 AM   #1209
NJANJA

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebie View Post
hahahahh true.

Athens = Worst Olympcis ever.
But, but, but...... Greece has a glorious history! It's the cradle of Western civilisation! And so on and so forth...
NJANJA no está en línea  
Old October 11th, 2006, 08:24 AM   #1210
Giorgio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
And by the looks of it Australia has a better chance at hosting 2010 than SA.
Giorgio no está en línea  
Old October 11th, 2006, 09:01 AM   #1211
Wezza
©

Australia could be ready by 2018, definitely not by 2010 though. I wouldn't want the WC here in 2010, it would be embarrassing for us holding matches at nearly all cricket grounds.

Basically, the only cities that are ready would be Brisbane & Sydney. Oh, and Melbourne if they would move the Telstra Dome stands in.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old October 11th, 2006, 09:03 AM   #1212
Giorgio

Dosnt Telstra Dome have movable seating?
Giorgio no está en línea  
Old October 11th, 2006, 10:49 AM   #1213
Weebie

By the time 2018 and 2022 come along Telstra Dome, Suncorp and Stadium Australia will be old White elephants.
Weebie no está en línea  
Old October 11th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #1214
Lostboy

I'm not aware of any recorded pre-European Literacy amongst Aboriginals. If there is a substantive pre-colonial writing culture, I stand corrected, if not I think you merely mean, Australia being inhabited goes back longer than Europeans arriving here.
Old October 11th, 2006, 02:22 PM   #1215
Lostboy

Also, don't know what I was drinking when I made the comparison between Aussie and Chinese history. I know what I meant, but I don't know how I ended up wording it so stupidly. Fact is though, not that many football fans are interested in checking out ancient historical monuments and museums, etc. When we toured Germany during the WC, the only 'historical' stuff we checked out was Colditz, Dachau, what was once the Berlin Wall, and Zeppelin Field Nuremberg. All war related recent history.

Perhaps (although I think a lot more might outside of your circle of friends) but the point is not about wonderful ancient monuments (although China has a lot of those, and Australia none) but about expanding football to as many different cultures and peoples as possible. In its very bland, generic English Speaking, acultural offering, Australia would look far less appealing than somewhere like China. It's simply a little bit of Europe (North-West) in the Pacific, without Europe's past, very little too offer.

If Australia had all the hotel space, twelve cities big enough, and as many fantastic stadia then absolutely its complete lack of cultural or historical appeal would have been compensated. On the other hand if Australia had an ancient indigenous culture full of vitality and great cities of ancient beauty, then hosting games in completely inappropiate stadia, such as cricket venues might just be overlooked. It is a factor.

On the other hand both of these could be overlooked, if it was a part of a vital, but under-represented wider area (such as Africa) which had never hosted a World Cup, which had a very large population and an absolute commitement to the beautiful game then again, it's passion might be made up for. Alas, it hasn't. Favourite sports of Australia:-

35. Real Tennis
36. Aussie Rules Snooker
37. Association Football
38. Beach Bowls
39. Statue Racing
Old October 11th, 2006, 03:03 PM   #1216
Wezza
©

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebie View Post
By the time 2018 and 2022 come along Telstra Dome, Suncorp and Stadium Australia will be old White elephants.
Ummm, you do realise that the Berlin Olympiastadion in the 2006 WC was from the 1936 Berlin Olympics? Sheesh, how long do you think stadiums last for? 5 minutes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Gioяgos
]Dosnt Telstra Dome have movable seating?
Yes, but they currently don't use the feature.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old October 12th, 2006, 09:09 AM   #1217
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 359

Actually were they not just moved in recently for a game or two?
Calvin W no está en línea  
Old October 12th, 2006, 09:48 AM   #1218
andypandy
Meh...

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:

I'm not aware of any recorded pre-European Literacy amongst Aboriginals. If there is a substantive pre-colonial writing culture, I stand corrected, if not I think you merely mean, Australia being inhabited goes back longer than Europeans arriving here.
The point, lostboy, was that Australian history goes further back than colonisation. Yes, literacy and the English language came with colonisation but to dismiss tens of thousand of years of aboriginal civilisation, their thousands of dialects, their traditions and ability to live in this hostile land because there was no literacy is a tad arrogant. In fact its the kind of arrogance towards indigenous Australians that led to their dispicable treatment at the hands of the colonisers. The ideals of nationhood, institutions and government are western concepts, to argue that Australian history does not pre-date colonialisation because of a lack of these concepts is pure arrogance.

I have lived for many years in Europe and I love Paris, Prague, Amsterdam etc. But for you to say that Australia is bland clearly demonstrates that you have never been here. Australia is consistantly voted as a favoured destination for immigrants and tourists alike. It has an amazing diversity of cultures and, while its not perfect, it has clean, safe cities.

Are you just pissed that the Ashes will soon be won back by Australia? (Thats just friendly banter by the way, not anti-English sentiment)
andypandy no está en línea  
Old October 12th, 2006, 09:50 AM   #1219
andypandy
Meh...

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
[I]Alas, it hasn't. Favourite sports of Australia:-

35. Real Tennis
36. Aussie Rules Snooker
37. Association Football
38. Beach Bowls
39. Statue Racing
Football is the most popular participation sport in the country, certainly not the most watched but that is all changing, especially since the world cup.
andypandy no está en línea  
Old October 12th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #1220
Eureka!

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
Australia could be ready by 2018, definitely not by 2010 though. I wouldn't want the WC here in 2010, it would be embarrassing for us holding matches at nearly all cricket grounds.

Basically, the only cities that are ready would be Brisbane & Sydney. Oh, and Melbourne if they would move the Telstra Dome stands in.
Oh and Melbourne????
Your point? Melbourne could easily host it most likely using the MCG which has a higher capacity than any other Oz stadium or any of the German stadiums used. It's a oval but it is possible for either modificatios or to keep it how it is. We've used it for a practise match verse Greece. Why not the world cup.

And why will Telstra Dome be a white elephant??? It's used every week for AFL plus numerous concerts and events. Plus a bit of soccer and rugby. What are you talking about???
Eureka! no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup