daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 16th, 2006, 08:36 AM   #1241
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
The Rest (those Australia would be bidding against):
China (1.2 billion) - huge population and interest in football
Indonesia (160 million) - huge population and interest in football
Philippines (70 million) - huge population and interest in football
Iran (63 million) - huge country, regular competitors in WC finals, good timing for Euro tv
Egypt (60 million) - huge country, good timing for Euro tv
Morocco (27 million) - lost out narrowly to S.A. for 2010, good timing for Euro tv
Iraq (19 million) - rebuilt and waving the US flag for democrasy, good timing for Euro tv
Plus other '3rd world' nations which in 50 years time may have gone some way to sorting out their finances (Nigeria, India, Pakistan)
(plus the probable future bid by Japan to rehost the tournament alone, and the possibilty of an 'insider' bid by the Emirates)
So are you trying to say that Australia would have nearly no chance against any of these countries? Thats laughable.
Wezza no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2006, 09:51 AM   #1242
Dean

Likes (Received): 911

Quote:
Nothing like it.

The suggestion seems to be that Australia are good at hosting sporting events, and have/can develope the stadiums/infrastructure to deal with hosting a world cup...

Here's a list of nations with higher populations and greater footballing traditions (in terms of participation and national interest) than Australia, none of which have hosted a world cup finals tournament...

Europe:
Russia (148 million)
Turkey (62 million)
Ukraine (52 million)
Poland (39 million)
Romania (24 million)
(all of whom will struggle to get a finals in the face of bids from England, Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Sweden, the Netherlands, etc.)

Americas:
Colombia (35 million)
Canada (29 million)
Peru (23 million)
(all of whom will struggle to get a finals in the face of bids from Argentina, the USA, Mexico and Brazil (by the time the others have had a shot it'll be another 50 years since 2014!)

The Rest (those Australia would be bidding against):
China (1.2 billion) - huge population and interest in football
Indonesia (160 million) - huge population and interest in football
Philippines (70 million) - huge population and interest in football
Iran (63 million) - huge country, regular competitors in WC finals, good timing for Euro tv
Egypt (60 million) - huge country, good timing for Euro tv
Morocco (27 million) - lost out narrowly to S.A. for 2010, good timing for Euro tv
Iraq (19 million) - rebuilt and waving the US flag for democrasy, good timing for Euro tv
Plus other '3rd world' nations which in 50 years time may have gone some way to sorting out their finances (Nigeria, India, Pakistan)
(plus the probable future bid by Japan to rehost the tournament alone, and the possibilty of an 'insider' bid by the Emirates)
Honestly do u ever shut up... you sound like charlie browns freakin teacher... wonk wonk wonk.

You're about as pessimistic as they come. im pissed that you live in my city. you belong in sydney with all the other tossers.

"The suggestion seems to be that Australia are good at hosting sporting events"

and that suggestion would be correct. if you want a major event done right, on budget, on time and without a single mishap. hold it in Australia everyday of the week and twice on sunday.

most of the places you mentioned...FFS, poland, romania, peru, iraq... lol

come off it mate, none of these place have a chance in hell.
Dean está en línea ahora  
Old October 16th, 2006, 10:17 AM   #1243
neorion
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post

and that suggestion would be correct. if you want a major event done right, on budget, on time and without a single mishap. hold it in Australia everyday of the week and twice on sunday.
That's a bit rich. Do you remember the ticketing scandal before the Sydney Olympics and just when the games started a bus full of Korean athletes on its way to a venue, was hijacked by an escaped convict. Without a single mishap? No, there were many hick-ups, however over all it was an excellent games, probably the best ever.
neorion no está en línea  
Old October 16th, 2006, 11:50 AM   #1244
BaronVonChickenpants

Likes (Received): 1

i think one the main reason's that Australia would eventually get the WC is that FIFA are keen to expand the game into the four corners of the world..if they see a market where they think there is room for expansion..they will go for it.FIFA are probably hoping that football takes on Aussies rules and NRL and wins...the only fly in the ointment is that by the time the Aussies finally get to host the finals..football and the A League may have already taken off...and your main reason for having the WC,the fact you are a new market right for exploiting,may have gone...replaced by perhaps another new and emerging country.
it remains to be seen if footballs honeymoon period on Oz remains...i think it will
BaronVonChickenpants no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2006, 05:35 AM   #1245
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Honestly do u ever shut up... you sound like charlie browns freakin teacher... wonk wonk wonk.

You're about as pessimistic as they come. im pissed that you live in my city. you belong in sydney with all the other tossers.

most of the places you mentioned...FFS, poland, romania, peru, iraq... lol

come off it mate, none of these place have a chance in hell.
First up, if you want to be funny - don't nick lines from 'Ford Fairlane', try to come up with something original.

Secondly, my point is simply that for people to be saying "it's a matter of WHEN rather than IF" about Australia hosting a world cup finals when there are so many other countries which have larger populations or are better located in terms of FIFA's chief mandate which is "to expand the game" is blind optimism.

Third, being able to host a major event without any glitches is the only thing Australia has going for it... It doesn't have the stadiums, but more importantly it doesn't need the stadiums (other than if it makes a bid). How often would a 40k stadium be any more than half full in Adelaide, Perth, Canberra, Newcastle, etc.?

I don't for a second believe that most of the countries listed would get a finals - but I'm sure there will be some misguided souls in those countries who will be sitting thinking, "Why not?"

Finally, it's not pessimism, it's realism. I'd love Australia to get the finals, but FIFA will give 2022 to China, 2034 would be the next chance for Australia - but FIFA will probably go back to Africa for that one, which takes us to 2046 - politically and economically the world is likely to be very different by then, you may find that the Middle East will provide a bidder with far more power than Australia (Iran, Iraq, Emirates, Saudi - all sound preposterous now, but in 40 years?)
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2006, 05:37 AM   #1246
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonChickenpants View Post
i think one the main reason's that Australia would eventually get the WC is that FIFA are keen to expand the game into the four corners of the world..if they see a market where they think there is room for expansion..they will go for it.FIFA are probably hoping that football takes on Aussies rules and NRL and wins...the only fly in the ointment is that by the time the Aussies finally get to host the finals..football and the A League may have already taken off...and your main reason for having the WC,the fact you are a new market right for exploiting,may have gone...replaced by perhaps another new and emerging country.
it remains to be seen if footballs honeymoon period on Oz remains...i think it will
Population of 20 million not likely to interest FIFA. They're keener to get their fingers into Africa, Asia and the Middle East - with the 'Holy Grail' still being getting a bigger slice of the North American $.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2006, 07:32 AM   #1247
kwigibo

I think the issue of stadia needs further examination. I started a thread on this in Ozscrapers a few months ago, and did some pretty expansive research.

Australia has 10 stadia of 40 000+ capacity. Unfortunately, Brisbane and Sydney are home to 3 each and 2 more are in Melbourne. Only 4 of those grounds are rectangles and one of those is not of a terribly high standard. The six remaining are cricket/afl ovals, with their already discussed short-comings in this context.

Compare that with England. Without the rest of the UK, there are 11 stadia of 40 000+ capacity. 3 are in the greater London area, 2 are in Manchester, and 2 in Liverpool, so we have the same problem with multiples. And while all these are rectangular stadia, not all might be said to be WC quality. There are a number of not quite large enough stadia that can be replaced or upgraded, but all in all, a similar amount of construction might be expected if the one per city rule is enforced. It is certainly worth taking into account that any new stadia here would probably be put to more use post WC than their Australian counterparts.

China has ample stadia of necessary capacity, but almost without exception they have athletics tracks, and hence suffer the same viewing issues as Australian ovals. I have a hard time imagining the Chinese construction industry having any difficulty remedying this issue through new stadia or renovation were they named host. Also distribution between cities will not be a problem here.

Australia can compete in this regard, I believe. Suncorp, Telstra Stadium, and Telstra Dome (with retractable seating utilised) I think could host games tomorrow without issue. Aussie Stadium also, if Sydney has two venues. Foregoing that, the MCG I think should host games in spite of viewing issues (The Berlin olympic stadium is an oval, let's not forget, and there will undoubtedly be ovals used by most potential hosts), there are very few comparable arenas in the world.

That gives us at least 4 of the necessary venues. We need six more. Perth is proposing a 70 000 seat oval stadium. This stadium's design could I think without great difficulty incorporate measures to allow temporary seating to make it more suitable for world cup games. That gives us 5.

Now, regional NSW and QLD. I think the centers of Wollongong, Newcastle, Gold Coast City, and Townsville are the next 4 logical locations, as all have NRL franchises, and a market for rectangular stadia. Townsville and GCC both have or will have 25 000 seaters, Dairy Farmers and Skilled. Dairy Farmers I can see being permanently upgraded to a world-class 40 000 seater, their crowd support is not exceeded in this country when accounting for their low density up there, 25 000 to 40 000 is not a huge leap, upkeep wise. I don't see this becoming a white elephant at that capacity a decade or two from now. Skilled's design I've never been happy with, because I think it could have allowed for easier expansion for this very issue, and I think GC can easily support a 40 000 seater, with the current growth rate that may be too small by the time there's likely to be a cup here.

Energy Australia stadium in Newcastle seats 26 000 after a recent upgrade. If they do to the rest of the ground what they did to the eastern stand, they'll be pushing Suncorp level quality. Newcastle's NRL fanbase is similar to North Queensland's in dediication, I think they can support 40 000. WIN Stadium in Wollongong is the biggest stretch as I see it. It's an unorthodox ground of questionable standard, in a location that would be great for a nicer stadium (right on the ocean) but may not permit any substantial expansion. But it is an NRL centre with a decent population so it's the next logical place along with maybe the Hunter/Gosford area and Central Coast stadium. Central Coast stadium is probably more expandable, it comes down to which of the Central Coast Mariners and St. George Illawarra Dragons can make better use of a 40 000 seater. I'm not sure either can support one now, but in a decade or two, who knows?

If all that is workable, we have 9 stadia in 8 cities. We need a tenth. Adelaide seems obvious, but although AAMI has the capacity and then some, it's pushing the limits of suitable oval stadia in its current state. Future state governments there might be more conducive to renovation options. Beyond that, the other option is to have two grounds in both Melbourne and Sydney, which even if there were more than ample grounds, I think is something that should happen. If needs be, maybe some gerrymandering of the local government areas to separate grounds by council jurisdiction and get in on technicality.

I still don't believe it will happen, few of these necessary steps are likely to be undertaken any time soon, and even then I don't necessarily think they should be.
kwigibo no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #1248
Wezza
©

Good post!!
Wezza no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2006, 02:23 PM   #1249
Eureka!

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Third, being able to host a major event without any glitches is the only thing Australia has going for it... It doesn't have the stadiums, but more importantly it doesn't need the stadiums (other than if it makes a bid). How often would a 40k stadium be any more than half full in Adelaide, Perth, Canberra, Newcastle, etc.?
I think Perth could often get up to 30,000 for an AFL match. Even more!

Great post (Cannot remember name. Something like kwigpeg lol) I don't think seperating the councils would quite work lol. I'm sure FIFA could make small exceptions. If only a few new stadiums could be built. And in 15 years some cities like Adelaide might be able to support bigger stadiums. I think the MCG and Telstra Dome could be used and the Telstra Stadium and the other Syd one I can't remember lol.

Australia will host it one day I'm quite sure. If soccer keeps growing here at the rate it has been then bigger staidums could be built. A practise match against Greece got a full capacity crowd of 100,000 in Melbourne pre world cup. i think that's enough of a fan base. Just coz our cities may be smaller doesn't mean we can't all get involved in such a major event.

Just look at the sport events Australia has hosted. Most recently melbourne hosted the Commonwealth Games. Great turnout. Then Sydney Olympics. Fantastic. Melbourne Olympics. Brisbane, Sydney, Perth Commonwealth games. In 2008 the world swimming championships in Melbourne. Annually in Mel, the Aussie open. One of the 4 grand slams. We have several car racing events,: the Indy, Bathurst and the Formula one grand prix. Horse racing etc I think the world cup could be a great sucess in Oz.

Rant over.
Eureka! no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #1250
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6301

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomer View Post
If we are logical, Australia should get it in 2022.
- 2010 will take place in South Africa
Yes, I'm sure SA will host in 2010...some rumours circulating that they won't be ready, but I have faith that it will all be complete in time!

Quote:
- 2014 in South America: Brazil is the only SA country that could host alone a WC with 32 teams. I think that Brazil will do everything to achieve it (and to win the WC again but that's another story).
This isn't neccessarily true. Brazil, although they have finally realised that they need to do something about the state of the stadiums and infastructure pretty quick, are still not deffinite hosts for 2014. They are still way behind on preparing for the WC, especially with regards to the stadiums required! There are quite a few other candidates in and outside of South America, that are claiming to have an interest in it. Just recently, Venezuela have spoken up that they are looking to be a back-up candidate if Brazil isn't ready. And, for those of you who don't know, Venezuela are investing heavily in their stadiums and from the reports I've heard of officials who have been there to check them out, the stadiums are pretty much up to European standards!

Quote:
- 2018 in Europe because Europe can let 3 WC outside. England (or UK) will be the front runner.
Although I think and I hope that 2018 will go to England, it is far from being a certainty, especially if China shows a real interest in it, as the profit-hungry FIFA will see them as an emerging gold mine!

Quote:
- So, a WC in Australia in 2022 could be great.
- 2026: I hope a WC in Canada but USA and Mexico will try to get it too.
You're still forgetting China here!! If China gets 2018, Austraia will have to wait till 2026 at the very earliest. If England gets 2018, China will also likely be in contension for 2022 with Australia...so nothing is certain!! Hate to be negative against Australia here, but I'm just stating the facts.

Quote:
- 2030: Uruguay for the 100th or a big country in Asia (China, India...) or a European country (Spain ?, Portugal ?, Russia ?, Turkey ?, European Union ?)
Ok, I have really got to FULLY dismiss the first option there that you've
mentioned: Uruguay......I can pretty much 100% guarantee that Uruguay will never be hosting the WC ever again. The state of football in Uruguay is so so sooooo far away from being what it once was when they won the 1930 and 1950 World Cups. The country is no longer large enough to host a modern WC alone, its stadiums are....poor to say the least....so 2030, although symbolic, would not be given to Uruguay!!

Btw Kwigibo, that was an excellent post, it's refreshing to see a factual, concise comment that discusses the points relevant to the thread!

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #1251
Wezza
©

Uruguay won't host the WC, people are saying how can Australia host it with only 20 million people, Uruguay has only got roughly 3.5 million.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2006, 01:26 AM   #1252
pompeyfan

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
Uruguay won't host the WC, people are saying how can Australia host it with only 20 million people, Uruguay has only got roughly 3.5 million.
And the economy is poor as with the infastructure

Keep up with my latest projects here
pompeyfan no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2006, 02:09 AM   #1253
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit Slim View Post
Although I think and I hope that 2018 will go to England, it is far from being a certainty, especially if China shows a real interest in it, as the profit-hungry FIFA will see them as an emerging gold mine!

You're still forgetting China here!! If China gets 2018, Austraia will have to wait till 2026 at the very earliest. If England gets 2018, China will also likely be in contension for 2022 with Australia...so nothing is certain!! Hate to be negative against Australia here, but I'm just stating the facts.
Every third finals tournament (2018, 2030, 2042, etc.) will be in Europe, FIFA has pretty much stated this. The finals in 2014, 2026, 2038, etc., will be in the Americas (Brazil, USA, Mexico, Argentina & Colombia are all good bets). That leaves 2010 (South Africa), then open bids between Asia, Africa and Oceania for the remaining finals in 2022, 2036, 2050, etc. As previously stated, Australia would be up against China, the oil rich Middle East and Africa in any bids.

Let's not forget that the world is changing both politically and economically, and we have no idea what things will be like in 25 years... I mean, 25 years ago who would have thought the World Cup Finals would be played in South Africa.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #1254
BaronVonChickenpants

Quote:
Population of 20 million not likely to interest FIFA. They're keener to get their fingers into Africa, Asia and the Middle East - with the 'Holy Grail' still being getting a bigger slice of the North American $.

and the population of South Africa is?
Old October 18th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #1255
BobDaBuilder

^

North America is fools gold for FIFA. It won't happen. The sport is an oddity and perceived as Eurotrash, just like Formula 1 is.

The USA looks at itself as "The World" and everything outside as darkness and barbarian lands.

Now they have Susan Boyle.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #1256
Wezza
©

South Africa's population is roughly 44 million.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2006, 04:22 PM   #1257
BaronVonChickenpants

Quote:
South Africa's population is roughly 44 million.

Wezza,thanks for the info......

can i just as...i have a rough idea who Steve Irwin was...but can you tell me who Peter Brock is/was?
Old October 18th, 2006, 05:19 PM   #1258
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonChickenpants View Post
Wezza,thanks for the info......

can i just as...i have a rough idea who Steve Irwin was...but can you tell me who Peter Brock is/was?
Peter Brock - race car driver and inside Australia he was as big an icon as Steve Irwin. In a career spanning over 30 years he won the premier endurance race here 9 times. Not only a great driver but a truly great bloke as well. Died in a car crash during testing less than a week after Irwin.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2006, 10:01 AM   #1259
NavyBlue
Under Construction

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
There was talk of them moving the stands in for the rest of the a-league season, but they haven't done it yet. I can't imagine it happening, because they will have to keep moving them in and out so the grass underneath can be watered & get some light on it. It will end up being too costly for them.
Won't happen for the A-League but is for the Rugby League tri-nations.

http://http://www.austadiums.com/for...=asc&start=105

NavyBlue no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #1260
bobo_greek

Likes (Received): 0

not as good as homebush.
bobo_greek no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup