daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 31st, 2006, 10:43 PM   #1281
Martuh
×××

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit Slim View Post
There is no doubt that a British bid (England, Wales and Scotland) would provide easily the best WC ever seen, or every likely to be seen. The cities would be there, the pure football stadiums (or rugby which is the same deal), the unrivaled fan support etc etc....but such a bid is very unlikely to go through, as FIFA is really not keen on joint bids, especially 3 countries, even though a British bid is soooooo different from another typical joint bid due to it being on one island which is smaller then Germany or France and basically lives as one nation anyway, with the same language, traditions, similar culture etc etc. Any of the problems that FIFA are worried about in joint bids would not be the case with Britain, unfortunately it will probably never be seen that way. The only big issue is allowing all three countries automatic entry...that is a bit much...they could let England have automatic entry as they are the main hosts, then the other two would have to get through on their own!
FYI; UK is 1 country, but 3 (or 4) nations.
Martuh no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:55 AM   #1282
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6298

I was wondering if someone would pick up on the semantics of that....then I thought, nah, no-one would be that pedantic.....

Out of all that I had to say in that post you comment on the political wording I used in one or two sentances.....thanx for that...

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea  
Old November 1st, 2006, 01:28 AM   #1283
Verbal Kint
Storyteller

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
I was wondering if someone would pick up on the semantics of that....then I thought, nah, no-one would be that pedantic.....

Out of all that I had to say in that post you comment on the political wording I used in one or two sentances.....thanx for that...

Don't feel too bad because you were wrong. People make mistakes, dont beat yourself up over it.
Verbal Kint no está en línea  
Old November 1st, 2006, 01:30 AM   #1284
Verbal Kint
Storyteller

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martuh View Post
FYI; UK is 1 country, but 3 (or 4) nations.
And FYI, the UK is comprised of 4 kingdoms (nations), not 3. Though technically (being a real pedant here) you could also argue that it was 2 nations: Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

So the answer you are after is 2 or 4.
Verbal Kint no está en línea  
Old November 1st, 2006, 02:10 AM   #1285
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Yer, we can't all have a World Cup gift wrapped for us like FIFA did with SA, for the rest of us we've got to fight it out to prove we are the best country to host the tounrmant, so you're right, it is still far too early to be certain or even confident about anything with regards to 2018 at this stage.

However, I don't think it is too early too be discussing it, since 2010 is SA, and 2014 is going to a South American country, 2018 is the first WC in the future which is open for real speculation, and now is as good a time as any to start thinking about it, as the bids have to be subitted in the next few years.

hehe....do note we did beat out england in the 2006 bid...and lost by one vote to germany...so the gift wrapping wasnt that great now was it?
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 1st, 2006, 04:33 PM   #1286
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Touché my friend, touché!! To be honest with you I don't think anybody (particularly in England) took the England 2006 bid seriously, I don't think we really wanted it enough, and it seemed like a bid that had been thrown together at the last minute, so I'm not surprised it did not win.

I for one am very glad it didn't, because a) Germany were much more prepared for it in 2006 and they hosted an excellent tournament, and b) because I don't think the English stadiums would have been ready for 2006 and it would have been embarrassing, and c) because by 2018, whether or not we have even got the WC, England will have vastly improved its stadiums by then, so I think 2018 would showcase a much better WC, possibly the BEST WC, then it would have done in 2006!!

Even you must admitt though, FIFA's rotation system, as has already been said by a Mr Blatter, was just to ensure that South Africa got it. I mean lets face it, it was only ever gonna be SA out of the African continent!! Not that this is a bad thing, I am very much looking forward to going there myself in 2010!!

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Old November 1st, 2006, 05:18 PM   #1287
Martuh
×××

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbal Kint View Post
And FYI, the UK is comprised of 4 kingdoms (nations), not 3. Though technically (being a real pedant here) you could also argue that it was 2 nations: Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

So the answer you are after is 2 or 4.
Central government is still in London, isn't it? It's ONE country, multiple nations, but UK is 1 country and though could participate as 1 country instead of 3 which should increase their chances as a WC hoster since the stadiums are bigger, including the Scottish stadiums & Millennium.
Martuh no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2006, 03:06 PM   #1288
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

@ Martuh Sorry ur not thinking straight if u think that England, Scotland, Wales and NI would participate as 1 country at the WC!!!!!!???
Old November 2nd, 2006, 06:49 PM   #1289
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Yer, you reallly are out of your mind if you think for one split second that England, Scotland and Wales should, would or could play as one nation in a World Cup.....I can't even begin to explain what is wrong with that, so I'm not gonna even try.

I don't think we should delve any further down the road of how you define the UK...nations, kingdoms, countries etc etc...whatever.....

Anyway, back to the topic of the thread, there is a news report by BBC today about the likelyhood of the WC returning to Europe in 2018:

Government to back World Cup bid

The government is willing to back an English bid for the 2018 World Cup, says Sports Minister Richard Caborn.
Caborn revealed Chancellor Gordon Brown, who met Uefa president Lennart Johansson on Wednesday, was "very, very keen" on the idea.

Asked whether the government would support a bid, Caborn told BBC Radio 4: "Absolutely. I have no doubt."

The Football Association is still weighing up its options but chairman Brian Barwick said: "We would like it."

The 2010 World Cup is being held in South Africa, with the 2014 tournament set to go to a South American country.

From 2010, every third World Cup is expected to be awarded to a European country.

Barwick added: "If that is the year when it comes back to Europe, we're going to go for it. We don't have to decide now how we go about it, we have to learn the lessons of when we didn't get these things and learn the lessons of when we did - like the Olympics. I think (bid leader) Lord Coe was very clever, a brilliant guy and a really huge contributory factor, as was the playing of the major officials at the right time."

Coe has already indicated he would be willing to assist the FA in its bid.

England's hopes have also been boosted by the support of Uefa president Lennart Johansson.

"We would certainly support such a project," he said.

Fifa will make its decision in 2010.

From what I heard of some of the reports from the radio, it sounded increasingly likely that 2018 is going to be in Europe....and if that is the case, I can't see any bid beating out England. There was also more positive talk of England, Wales and Scotland hosting it together....or maybe just England and Wales....

Old November 2nd, 2006, 07:44 PM   #1290
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Touché my friend, touché!! To be honest with you I don't think anybody (particularly in England) took the England 2006 bid seriously, I don't think we really wanted it enough, and it seemed like a bid that had been thrown together at the last minute, so I'm not surprised it did not win.

I for one am very glad it didn't, because a) Germany were much more prepared for it in 2006 and they hosted an excellent tournament, and b) because I don't think the English stadiums would have been ready for 2006 and it would have been embarrassing, and c) because by 2018, whether or not we have even got the WC, England will have vastly improved its stadiums by then, so I think 2018 would showcase a much better WC, possibly the BEST WC, then it would have done in 2006!!

Even you must admitt though, FIFA's rotation system, as has already been said by a Mr Blatter, was just to ensure that South Africa got it. I mean lets face it, it was only ever gonna be SA out of the African continent!! Not that this is a bad thing, I am very much looking forward to going there myself in 2010!!

most definitely..the rotation system did rotate in our favour but at the end of the day, when south africa went up against the england and german superpowers in the 2006 bid race it certainly did exceedingly well..
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2006, 03:33 AM   #1291
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

We (England) need to be very careful with our bid. We probably have the best set up (currently) for a bid, but after the way we tried to stitch up Germany for the 2006 finals (agreeing to back their bid, then launching our own), we are lacking friends in UEFA and FIFA alike.

I'm starting another thread regarding the best bets (currently) for an England bid) - maybe kill of the negativity (which I started, in a fit of ill-temper) of this thread.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2006, 03:22 PM   #1292
Martuh
×××

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd View Post
@ Martuh Sorry ur not thinking straight if u think that England, Scotland, Wales and NI would participate as 1 country at the WC!!!!!!???
Not about participating but hosting WC as 1 country.
Martuh no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2006, 05:26 PM   #1293
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
We (England) need to be very careful with our bid. We probably have the best set up (currently) for a bid, but after the way we tried to stitch up Germany for the 2006 finals (agreeing to back their bid, then launching our own), we are lacking friends in UEFA and FIFA alike.

I'm starting another thread regarding the best bets (currently) for an England bid) - maybe kill of the negativity (which I started, in a fit of ill-temper) of this thread.
The only serious competition you can get at this moment is from Spain at this moment. But as they had a WC in 1982 or something, England has the best papers I think
Old November 4th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #1294
Benjuk

Talk of a Benelux bid now. Not sure how FIFA will feel about three nations bidding as one though - people seem to think they'd frown on an England bid if it included Scottish and/or Welsh cities.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2006, 01:34 AM   #1295
pompeyfan

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martuh View Post
Central government is still in London, isn't it? It's ONE country, multiple nations, but UK is 1 country and though could participate as 1 country instead of 3 which should increase their chances as a WC hoster since the stadiums are bigger, including the Scottish stadiums & Millennium.
Then England, Scotland and Wales national teams would have to participate as one country, not 3.

Keep up with my latest projects here
pompeyfan no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2006, 07:49 AM   #1296
RSG

Likes (Received): 4

I find it funny that it is called the world game but Europe has to have it every third round. If it was really a world game, FIFA should not allow the same continent to hold it twice in three rounds.
RSG no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #1297
pompeyfan

Likes (Received): 84

damn straight

Keep up with my latest projects here
pompeyfan no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #1298
Noostairz

Likes (Received): 10

^ hang on a sec, the world cup's been held in south america, north america, europe, asia, and now africa. the only two continents that haven't hosted the thing are oceania and antarctica, and you're telling me that it's not a world game!?

i don't know what you're complaining about anyway. australia's very own home confederation, the asian football confederation, hosted the thing four years ago!

and while we're on that topic, now that fifa's bent the rules and allowed australia to join a completely alien continent (presumably so you have a better chance of qualification), can england join the oceania football confederation? - because i tell you what, we'd rather play qualifiers against the solomon islands than, i dunno, holland! how about scotland, can they join the confederation of north, central american and caribbean association football? - i bet the tartan army would love an away leg in barbados!

Last edited by Noostairz; November 5th, 2006 at 12:42 PM.
Noostairz no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2006, 12:44 PM   #1299
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSG View Post
I find it funny that it is called the world game but Europe has to have it every third round. If it was really a world game, FIFA should not allow the same continent to hold it twice in three rounds.
No nation outside of Europe or South America has ever won the world cup. In fact, none have even reached a final.

Anyone from outside the historical homes of football ever shows some genuine quality - then maybe they can start complaining...
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #1300
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by edennewstairs View Post
now that fifa's bent the rules and allowed australia to join a completely alien continent (presumably so you have a better chance of qualification), can england join the oceania football confederation? - because i tell you what, we'd rather play qualifiers against the solomon islands...
To be fair, Australia re-joined the Asian Confederation in order that they could play against decent opposition rather than the likes of Fiji, Vanuatu and American Samoa. The Aussie's found these games a total waste of time - and they did the national team no good what-so-ever. They proved last year that they can get past the 5th best South American side to get to the finals now, so the argument about trying to ease qualification is out of the window.
Benjuk no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup