daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 5th, 2006, 12:55 PM   #1301
Noostairz

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
To be fair, Australia re-joined the Asian Confederation in order that they could play against decent opposition rather than the likes of Fiji, Vanuatu and American Samoa. The Aussie's found these games a total waste of time - and they did the national team no good what-so-ever. They proved last year that they can get past the 5th best South American side to get to the finals now, so the argument about trying to ease qualification is out of the window.
fair enough, but it's still an absolute scandal that countries are actually allowed to leave their own continental confederation just because they don't like who they share it with, whether that's because the opposition on offer is far too poor or far too good.

if that reason is permissible then where does it end? - scotland haven't qualified for the world cup since 1998. if i were them i'd use australia as a precedent and apply to join the confederation of north, central american and caribbean association football, afterall scotland v canada's a far more attractive fixture than scotland v italy.
Noostairz no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2006, 12:36 AM   #1302
Morjo

Likes (Received): 40

Why can't Australia and New Zealand host a world cup together and call it the Australasia World Cup?

Surely that way we can get a couple more stadiums that are suited for Soccer, as they have rugby stadiums?

Having the MCG as a Soccer ground just does not feel right, the ground is to big.
Morjo no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2006, 03:13 AM   #1303
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by edennewstairs View Post
fair enough, but it's still an absolute scandal that countries are actually allowed to leave their own continental confederation just because they don't like who they share it with, whether that's because the opposition on offer is far too poor or far too good.
It was in the best interest of the game that Australia was moved into the asian confederation. It's not Australia's fault that all the opposition in oceania aren't up to scratch. Maybe they should scrap the oceania confederation altogether & make an australasian confederation?
Wezza no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2006, 07:21 AM   #1304
pompeyfan

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
^ hang on a sec, the world cup's been held in south america, north america, europe, asia, and now africa. the only two continents that haven't hosted the thing are oceania and antarctica, and you're telling me that it's not a world game!?

i don't know what you're complaining about anyway. australia's very own home confederation, the asian football confederation, hosted the thing four years ago!

and while we're on that topic, now that fifa's bent the rules and allowed australia to join a completely alien continent (presumably so you have a better chance of qualification), can england join the oceania football confederation? - because i tell you what, we'd rather play qualifiers against the solomon islands than, i dunno, holland! how about scotland, can they join the confederation of north, central american and caribbean association football? - i bet the tartan army would love an away leg in barbados!

Making it 16 years Since the last one. We're talking about an event in 14 years, not tomorrow

Keep up with my latest projects here
pompeyfan no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2006, 10:07 AM   #1305
NavyBlue
Under Construction

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
The joke of a conference that's Oceania should be scrapped immediatley and all teams to join the Asian conference. Australia holds the world record for goals scored in an international . . . something like 32-0 against one of the Islands which should be enough reason.

The only qualifier that has any real substance is the play-off against the No.5 South American team which almost always see's us playing with an underdone squad due to the lack of time spent together. European teams are reluctant to release our guys to play against Soloman Islands etc.

In saying that, qualification through Asia will be harder but will allow the team structure to benefit from playing better opposition more often.

If FIFA don't scrap Oceania then the final qualifier should be against Concacaf (another weak @rse group). Why they have 2.5 WC spots is beyond belief.

Last edited by NavyBlue; November 6th, 2006 at 10:13 AM.
NavyBlue no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2006, 12:37 PM   #1306
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:

if that reason is permissible then where does it end? - scotland haven't qualified for the world cup since 1998. if i were them i'd use australia as a precedent and apply to join the confederation of north, central american and caribbean association football, afterall scotland v canada's a far more attractive fixture than scotland v italy.
The key difference is that Scotland has always been a part of the European confederation, never part of the North American set-up... Australia was for a long time affiliated with Asia, only opting out when Oceana set up their own federation, the 'experiment' didn't work and so Australia have returned to the Asian confederation.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #1307
Noostairz

Likes (Received): 10

all fair points. makes a bit more sense now.
Noostairz no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2006, 02:14 PM   #1308
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

For all those saying Europe shouldn't have the WC as often as every third tournament, half the teams in the WC are European, majority of the best players play in Europe, Europe has the best leagues, Europe has the better Football stadia etc etc
Old November 6th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #1309
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyBlue View Post
If FIFA don't scrap Oceania then the final qualifier should be against Concacaf (another weak @rse group). Why they have 2.5 WC spots is beyond belief.
Probably the best thing Frank Farina did during his tenure as manager of the Aussie team was when he suggested that the four non-European 'play-off' teams (Cancacaf, Asia, Oceania, South America) should go to one location and play a league, three games each, over 8 or 9 days, with the top two sides going to the world cup - that way even the losers get to go to a mini-tournament. Surprising that FIFA didn't run with the idea 'cos it could be a nice little money spinner. Maybe they should throw a couple of the Euro play-off sides in there as well.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #1310
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

It would be in Asia's and therefore Australia's best interest if Oceania remains the lame duck it is presently. We ideally want to have Asia's 5th, 6th or 7th play off against Oceania because it could well be Oz.

We need to get selfish now we are out of the Oceania sinkhole.

Now they have Susan Boyle.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #1311
Mephisto

Likes (Received): 58

Australia will bid for 2018 and lose out to England.
Australia will again bid for 2022 and win
Mephisto no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2006, 05:11 PM   #1312
SimLim

Likes (Received):

England has the 2018 world cup 99.9% in the bag. If I was Asutralia I would save money and make sure thier 2022 bid is twice as good as anyone elses.

Old November 8th, 2006, 04:30 AM   #1313
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephisto View Post
Australia will bid for 2018 and lose out to England.
Australia will again bid for 2022 and win
Because an Australian bid would be so much stronger than a Chinese one?
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2006, 07:38 AM   #1314
NavyBlue
Under Construction

Quote:
Because an Australian bid would be so much stronger than a Chinese one?
I'd be very confident if they're our only competition. 2022 is too far away but as things stand now, a Chinese bid faces a lot more obstacles than an Australian bid.

btw...I havn't given up on 2018 yet
Old November 8th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #1315
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyBlue View Post
I'd be very confident if they're our only competition. 2022 is too far away but as things stand now, a Chinese bid faces a lot more obstacles than an Australian bid.

btw...I havn't given up on 2018 yet
2018 will be in Europe, FIFA has more-or-less stated that. So unless the FFA manages to get out of Asia and into Europe it would appear that an Aussie bid would be wasted. It'll be England or Spain.

2022 - China already has the required number of football specific stadiums (see separate thread) and has a population and footballing market potential that will make FIFA drool. Which obstacles does it face that won't be a problem for Australia?
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2006, 03:26 AM   #1316
NavyBlue
Under Construction

Quote:
2018 will be in Europe, FIFA has more-or-less stated that. So unless the FFA manages to get out of Asia and into Europe it would appear that an Aussie bid would be wasted. It'll be England or Spain.
FIFA seem to change their minds on a daily basis . . . rotation/non rotation etc. so I wouldn't treat anything they say as gospel, but I do agree that 2018 will most likely go to Europe. I hope that if we're serious about hosting the WC, we should place a bid for 2018 just to test the water and let FIFA know that we're genuinely committed.

Quote:
2022 - China already has the required number of football specific stadiums (see separate thread) and has a population and footballing market potential that will make FIFA drool. Which obstacles does it face that won't be a problem for Australia?
All I see is many venues with athletic tracks and as I stated in the other thread, if FIFA are serious in pushing the rectangular or football friendly stadium policy that I hear a lot about on this forum, then many stadiums would need to be built from scratch. Will China's economy still be booming by then? Is football big enough to require so many large football stadiums as so they don't become white elephants after wards? I watched the BBC "Tank Man" documentary the other day where it was stated that over 1 billion Chinese live below the poverty line . . . will there be enough local support for the tournament?

Time will tell I guess but the Chinese ain't without their own obstacles.
Old November 9th, 2006, 07:23 AM   #1317
Benjuk

There's always a dark horse as well. I've still got the nagging feel (based on a few rumours that I've heard) that the Emirates (who are worming their way into FIFA's money grabbing black heart) will pull a rabbit from the hat and construct a dozen state of the art stadiums along their coast line as part of their tourism drive. Sports City could be just the start!

Again, I'd love Australia to get it - but I can't see it happening in my lifetime.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2006, 11:05 AM   #1318
RSG

Likes (Received): 4

I would be worried if Australia's bid was up against that of the Chinese. I believe that with the Olympics, they will show that the country can host any world event (just like Sydney did). The difference with this will be China's much larger economy will be able to host another world event and be able to build new or renovate their stadiums as needed.

What they should do instead is start bridging the gap between their middle class and the 700 million that live below the poverty line in their country and let Australia host the cup on behalf of Asia.

Last edited by RSG; November 9th, 2006 at 11:15 AM.
RSG no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2006, 12:04 PM   #1319
mauritius gunner

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd View Post
For all those saying Europe shouldn't have the WC as often as every third tournament, half the teams in the WC are European, majority of the best players play in Europe, Europe has the best leagues, Europe has the better Football stadia etc etc
........and all four semi-finalists in this years world cup were European

Even if Australia had knocked out Italy in the 2nd round, they would have been whalloped by Ukraine in the Q-finals.
mauritius gunner no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #1320
Kulin Nation

Likes (Received): 0

Ben, I think its best if we end this thread. The whole city V City thing was banned for a reason. Individuals like Lost Boy take things too far.

Thanks................
Kulin Nation no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup