daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 4th, 2006, 11:28 AM   #1401
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

I don't think thats what Benjuk meant. I think he meant if supporters from foreign countries come to Australia to watch their team who might play in Brisbane one day, then a few days later they might play in Perth & then another in Melbourne. Large bands of supporters following their team around could become a logistical nightmare & not to mention extremely expensive.
Wezza no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #1402
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 3410

You'd do something along the lines of having all the group matches in similar areas, and then all of the finals along the East Coast between Brisbane and Melbourne. That shouldn't be too hard, and the travel wouldn't be extreem.
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
KJBrissy no está en línea  
Old December 4th, 2006, 02:53 PM   #1403
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

look at previous posts, europe deserves it

Last edited by Its AlL gUUd; December 4th, 2006 at 03:13 PM.
Its AlL gUUd no está en línea  
Old December 4th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #1404
MelboyPete
Proud Melbournian

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd View Post
look at previous posts, european deserves it
Do me a favour and clarify why you think "european deserves it" ?
MelboyPete no está en línea  
Old December 4th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #1405
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

sorry typo, but europe deserves to host it more often then not
Old December 4th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #1406
SimLim

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJBrissy View Post
We'd still have sell outs no matter what our population. We also have a diverse range of residents here that would fill in the numbers. I would guarentee a sell out for almost every game if it were in Australia!

I would gurantee a SELL OUT FOR EVERY GAME if it were in England. Not only is it the best option for 2018. But FIFA really need to reward the army of English/Irish fans that make the journey in thier hundreds of thousands to support the national team during major tournaments.

Old December 4th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #1407
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

England take the most fans to nearly every tournament, even in euro 2004 match between england and portugal there were nearly as many english fans as there were portugese(the hosts) in the stadium.
Old December 4th, 2006, 06:42 PM   #1408
Martuh
×××

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd View Post
England take the most fans to nearly every tournament, even in euro 2004 match between england and portugal there were nearly as many english fans as there were portugese(the hosts) in the stadium.
I feel insulted.
Martuh no está en línea  
Old December 4th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #1409
veronika

Likes (Received): 0

2 horse race

The 2018 world cup will be hosted by a European country if there are no major wars, atrocities, terrorism acts or natural catastrophes in the lead up.
The same can be said for 2014 which will go to the Americas at this point South America, but as it is quite likely one of the above will happen USA and Canada can be on standby and have tha ability to host the wc within a few months notice.
It is simple the decision is based firstly on rotation between the two major continental super powers of football,i.e Europe and South America. Secondly on commericial and tv factors. It is not a major factor regarding stadia believe me! Of course its also politics and gets complicated but believe me the decision as to which continent will host the wc is already made for the next 16 years.

Take the wc from the advent of tv

62 s.america
66 europe
70 s/middle america
74 europe
78 s.america
82 europe
86 s./middle america
90 europe
94 n. america
98 europe
02 asia
06 europe
10 africa
14 americas
18 europe
22 austrialasia

As to which European host well it won't be (too recent ) Germany, France or Italy as they were the last three European hosts and the two other superpowers of England and Spain would have too much backing. European outsiders in with a slim chance would be Russia, Greece, Turkey and Holland. What makes it interesting is Euro 2016 because with the exception of Holland all of the mentioned Euro countries would also like to bid for that as a fall back to not getting the world cup.
2018 wc ranking imo at the moment would be
1.Eng
2. Spain
3. Russia
4. Greece/Turkey-more likely to win 16 euro champs bid.
5. Holland.
veronika no está en línea  
Old December 4th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #1410
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog794 View Post

Europe again? Come on... talk about killing it's international appeal...
I think Oz should host 2018. Their facilities are more directed at events of those types of crowds per game. Canada's bid would obviously be stronger if Halifax gets the right to host the 2014 Commonwealth Games. Then it would have a stadium in every region, with each region having over a million each, with stadiums able to host 40 000+ people (after temp extentions). But ya if China puts in a bid... well they're going to get it. My only question is... how many international events can China hold before somebody says, "Hey didn't China already do the Olympics, etc.", because China is the the dragon economy, and will be on the top of the list for alot of events. Will they use that situation too much, and end up handing the games to either Canada/Mexico/Oz.?
I think you've got this the wrong way round. Europe is the centre of the football world. The World Cup is held every four years and there has never been more than an eight year gap between European-hosted world cups. With 2010 in Africa (South Africa) and 2014 in Latin America (probably Brazil) then the World Cup will have already been out of Europe for an unprecedented 12 years. It's almost inconcievable that it will stay outside Europe for a third World Cup in succession. I think it's between Spain and England for 2018. I think FIFA will be interested in a China world cup but my guess is that China's 2018 bid will be a forerunner for a more credible bid for 2022. Places like Canada and Australia haven't got a chance as they have small markets and practically zero football culture/tradition.
Monkey no está en línea  
Old December 4th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #1411
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

I think you are right!!!
Old December 5th, 2006, 12:00 AM   #1412
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
I think you've got this the wrong way round. Europe is the centre of the football world. The World Cup is held every four years and there has never been more than an eight year gap between European-hosted world cups. With 2010 in Africa (South Africa) and 2014 in Latin America (probably Brazil) then the World Cup will have already been out of Europe for an unprecedented 12 years. It's almost inconcievable that it will stay outside Europe for a third World Cup in succession. I think it's between Spain and England for 2018. I think FIFA will be interested in a China world cup but my guess is that China's 2018 bid will be a forerunner for a more credible bid for 2022. Places like Canada and Australia haven't got a chance as they have small markets and practically zero football culture/tradition.
Get used to not having it in your own back yard everytime. As soccer grows around the world the World Cup will also. It will eventually come to the point where the majority of teams in the tournament are NOT from Europe. With 200 teams World wide why should the roughly 35 countries of Europe dominate things. I look forward to these times.

Yes you can reply about tradition, how Europe is currently the power region, politics, money, etc. But face it you will eventually lose your grip on your precious World Cup.
Calvin W no está en línea  
Old December 5th, 2006, 02:53 AM   #1413
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin W View Post
Get used to not having it in your own back yard everytime. As soccer grows around the world the World Cup will also. It will eventually come to the point where the majority of teams in the tournament are NOT from Europe. With 200 teams World wide why should the roughly 35 countries of Europe dominate things. I look forward to these times.

Yes you can reply about tradition, how Europe is currently the power region, politics, money, etc. But face it you will eventually lose your grip on your precious World Cup.
Jeeeezus......did that sound bitter....not to mention kinda scary...you sound like one of those ranting Evil villains in a bond movie: 'Face the facts Mr Bond, sooner or later you will lose the girl, your life, and your prescious little World Cup! Muahahahah!!

I am all for more countries getting into the passion of a WC, and I would like to see other less well known countries have a better chance of qualifying....this isn't about Europe wanting to hoard the WC for itself and keep the game in Europe. Part of the success of football is the fact that England, and then other European countries, went out and introduced the sport to the world, and encouraged them to play. But the simple fact is, football was born in Europe, it is where its culture and history lies, where all the big leagues and clubs and players are, where there is the most enthusiasm for it...etc etc etc.

I mean sure, introduce the WC to other areas, and try to get them involved, but there isn't much point giving a WC regularly to countries/continents that don't have that much interest in it.

And if the sport had stemmed from America, and it wasn't very popular in Europe, or stemmed from Asia and wasn't very popular in Europe, you can guarantee they'd have the WC there at least once every two times! I don't think it is too much to ask that once every 12 years a European country gets a WC. And remember, this might not neccessarily be needed for the distant future, because there will be less European countries that will be able to host a WC that have not recently done so, which means the WC could miss Europe for 4 times or more....

Not to mention Europe is the most stable and reliable place for a WC, with the possible exception of the USA....South Africa and Africa havn't in the past had the infastructure, stadiums, money to pull in off, neither have South America. Canada have the money but not really the cities/stadiums/enthusiasm, Asia haven't had the money/cities/stadiums, Australia haven't had the stadiums/enthusiasm..........so you can't really argue with Europe having the large share of the WC hosting rights.

As other countries become available, then yes, the WC should be spread around a bit more....but ultimately, with regards to 2018, I don't care about continents, I think it should just come down to who has the best bid and who wants it more!!

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.

Last edited by Jack Rabbit Slim; December 5th, 2006 at 02:58 AM.
Jack Rabbit Slim está en línea ahora  
Old December 5th, 2006, 03:27 AM   #1414
Macca-GC

Likes (Received): 85

I'm happy for England to host the 2018 WC, but I do think Australia can beat China for the 2022 WC.

In Australia's bid, we would have:
MCG, Melbourne(100,000)
Telstra Stadium, Sydney(83,500)
Rebuilt Subiaco Stadium(Currently planning), Perth(65,000)
Telstra Dome, Melbourne(55,000)
Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane(52,500)
Upgraded EnergyAustralia Stadium, Newcastle(47,500)
Upgraded Gold Coast Stadium, Gold Coast(45,000)
Upgraded Dairy Farmers Stadium, Townsville(40,000)
New Adelaide Rectangular Stadium(40,000+)
Macca-GC no está en línea  
Old December 5th, 2006, 03:49 AM   #1415
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJBrissy View Post
We'd still have sell outs no matter what our population. We also have a diverse range of residents here that would fill in the numbers. I would guarentee a sell out for almost every game if it were in Australia!
Not so much about selling out the games - more about the number of people to 'buy in' to football. Japan/Korea created massive interest in football in Asia, promoted the sport big time. The same will happen in Africa - interest in the game, a feeling of 'belonging' to FIFA will grow in the people of Africa now that their continent has been accepted into the 'FIFA family'. The feeling of belonging will lead to greater participation... 2022 - given the choice between a billion Chinese, or 20-30 million Aussies, who would you back the money-hungry FIFA big-wigs to go for?
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old December 5th, 2006, 04:29 AM   #1416
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimLim View Post
I would gurantee a SELL OUT FOR EVERY GAME if it were in England. Not only is it the best option for 2018. But FIFA really need to reward the army of English/Irish fans that make the journey in thier hundreds of thousands to support the national team during major tournaments.
Mate, it would be a sell out for every match here in Australia as well, no doubt about it!!
Wezza no está en línea  
Old December 5th, 2006, 04:48 AM   #1417
bruin787
globe trekker

Likes (Received): 0

for the 1994 World Cup, the US used 9 host cities. if we bid again for 2018, i think you can guarantee these 6 stadiums would be included based on their location and proximity to large US metro areas...

Rose Bowl – Pasadena, CA (Los Angeles metro) - site of the 1994 World Cup Final
capacity = 91,100+

FedEx Field – Landover, MD (Washington DC metro)
capacity = 91,000

Gillette Stadium – Foxboro, MA (Boston metro)
capacity = 68,000

Solider Field – Chicago, IL
capacity = 67,000

Lincoln Financial Field – Philadelphia, PA
capacity = 68,500

New Meadowlands Stadium – East Rutherford, NJ (New York metro) - due to open in 2009
capacity = 80,000 (est.)

as for the remaining 3 sites, there really are DOZENS of possibilities. i have some ideas if anyone cares to discuss
bruin787 no está en línea  
Old December 5th, 2006, 09:16 AM   #1418
NavyBlue
Under Construction

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
Not so much about selling out the games - more about the number of people to 'buy in' to football. Japan/Korea created massive interest in football in Asia, promoted the sport big time. The same will happen in Africa - interest in the game, a feeling of 'belonging' to FIFA will grow in the people of Africa now that their continent has been accepted into the 'FIFA family'.
Why does FIFA need to promote the game in these regions when Football is already clearly the #1 code? If the relevant authorities can't build on their current popular supporter base, then a WC tournament would only serve as an "event" and apart from new stadia, very little would be gained from hosting it in the long term. (see USA'94)

Quote:
The feeling of belonging will lead to greater participation... 2022 - given the choice between a billion Chinese, or 20-30 million Aussies, who would you back the money-hungry FIFA big-wigs to go for?
Well Sydney did beat Beijing for the 2000 Olympic Games...

...I'm hoping for a repeat performance
NavyBlue no está en línea  
Old December 5th, 2006, 11:34 AM   #1419
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyBlue View Post
Why does FIFA need to promote the game in these regions when Football is already clearly the #1 code? If the relevant authorities can't build on their current popular supporter base, then a WC tournament would only serve as an "event" and apart from new stadia, very little would be gained from hosting it in the long term. (see USA'94)

Well Sydney did beat Beijing for the 2000 Olympic Games...

...I'm hoping for a repeat performance
Yeah, but the Olympics is about one city versus one city, and the IOC are not trying to promote a 'brand'. Sydney beat Beijing and put on a stunning games - no one will deny that... However, when it comes to FIFA, they are out to promote the game to be the world's no. 1 sport - to destroy the competition, and also to maintain FIFA's role as the governing body for the sport.

With regard to 'promoting' the sport in Europe/Americas, the reasons are varied.
(1) It's a stimulous toward the building of improved facilities - very few countries world wide have the facilities to host a world cup... You can guarentee that by the next time France or Germany is ready to host the tournament again, FIFA will have raised the standards to (eg) 10 x 50k stadiums, or greater seating comfort, etc.
(2) It's an acknowledgement of the traditional history of football - it would be a hard sell to take the finals away from their traditional homes for 2018 (eg Australia), 2022 (eg China), 2026 (eg Morocco), 2030 (eg USA), etc., and ultimately taking it away from Europe COULD lead to a falling interest for international football in football's largest media market - catastrophic for FIFA (which let's remember has it's HQ in Europe)
(3) It's a benchmark for developing countries - as good as Japan/Korea was, Germany has set the benchmark for the future. It's hard to imagine South Africa being as good simply because there won't be as many travelling fans - and it's the fans that make the finals (this is not a 'diss' to SA - it's simply a statement of fact, Polish, Croats, French, Dutch, etc., will not be able to jump in the car and drive over the border for the day).
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old December 5th, 2006, 01:37 PM   #1420
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Likes (Received): 126

The USA has perhaps the Best Stadiums in the World. The thing that strikes you most is the sheer size. Each stadium is pretty much bigger than 65K. Its a very, very good chance that each stadium will be filled for each game.

However i doubt weather the Rose Bowl would be used. Unless it goes through some major redevelopments, im sure Arizona and Indianopolis will be better venues. Although you cant question its History and Pride to America.
Ari Gold no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup