daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 10th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #1461
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6296

I think that must have been a rumour started by someone who was trying to start a rumour!!

I have never heard anyone from FIFA or UEFA hint that they want the European leagues to be played from Feb to Nov. It wouldn't really make any sense at all, and would screw up the entire system that football has been built up around for decades! Sure, the weather might be better for the league season, but that would be about the only advantage!

Australia is just going to have to reschedule its AFL or ALF or NFL or whatever it is, if they want to host a WC, because FIFA are not going to change the date of the WC to coincide with the Australian summer, at the expense of all the other nations who would have to totally reorganise their own sports timetables!!

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim está en línea ahora  

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #1462
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

Listen to yourself. No one outside England cares about the Premiership, thats where the good players go to retire.

I guess when I was in Malaysia people stopping me to ask if I had ever been to (insert ground of their favourite English Team) was out of politeness.

I used to think that it would be best if the civilised nations of these world got rid of Scots, as like crane flies they seemed to serve no purpose. I conveniently forgot of their niche in comedy.
Old December 10th, 2006, 06:11 PM   #1463
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit Slim View Post
Australia is just going to have to reschedule its AFL or ALF or NFL or whatever it is, if they want to host a WC, because FIFA are not going to change the date of the WC to coincide with the Australian summer, at the expense of all the other nations who would have to totally reorganise their own sports timetables!!

Then we Have a massive problem. There is no way in Hell the AFL, a Billion Dollar Organisation will bring forward its schedule if its players are at risk. Do you seriously expect Athletes to run around in 35+ plus heat for 110 minutes. I think Not.

Also there is no way in Hell, the AFL is going to put its competition on hold just to suit Soccers needs. If the World Cup is going to be played in May, June, July etc... the AFL will have to play the first half of the year, go on holidays for a month and then come back in the exact same shape and level of skill as when they left. Never gonna Happen. The AFL doesnt take Christmas breaks or whatever as we dont need to.

Im not saying the AFL is any bigger or more powerful than FIFA. Thats just absurd. But to tell the AFL to do this and that is a bigger problem than u think.
Old December 10th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #1464
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
Listen to yourself. No one outside England cares about the Premiership, thats where the good players go to retire.

I guess when I was in Malaysia people stopping me to ask if I had ever been to (insert ground of their favourite English Team) was out of politeness.

I used to think that it would be best if the civilised nations of these world got rid of Scots, as like crane flies they seemed to serve no purpose. I conveniently forgot of their niche in comedy.
no one outside england cares about the premiership???? uhm ok if u say so.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old December 10th, 2006, 06:32 PM   #1465
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juddy View Post
Then we Have a massive problem. There is no way in Hell the AFL, a Billion Dollar Organisation will bring forward its schedule if its players are at risk. Do you seriously expect Athletes to run around in 35+ plus heat for 110 minutes. I think Not.

Also there is no way in Hell, the AFL is going to put its competition on hold just to suit Soccers needs. If the World Cup is going to be played in May, June, July etc... the AFL will have to play the first half of the year, go on holidays for a month and then come back in the exact same shape and level of skill as when they left. Never gonna Happen. The AFL doesnt take Christmas breaks or whatever as we dont need to.

Im not saying the AFL is any bigger or more powerful than FIFA. Thats just absurd. But to tell the AFL to do this and that is a bigger problem than u think.
Lol funny post.
Giorgio no está en línea  
Old December 10th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #1466
SimLim

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbal Kint View Post
Thats why its the most watched league in the world?

What good players have gone to England to retire? Its the fastest league in the world, not a great logic there when their on thier final legs.

The likes of Rooney, Ronaldo, Gerrard, Lampard, Saha, Henry, Fabregas, Terry, Ferdinand, Shevchenko, Ballack, Giggs make the league boring correct?

Just one game from yesterday

Tottenham 5-1 Charlton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO87HgDBqSQ

Other results

Liverpool 4-0 Fulham
Man United 3-1 Man City
Bolton 4-0 West Ham
Blackburn 1-3 Newcastle
Wigan 1-1 Middlesborough
Watford 0-0 Reading
Portsmouth 2-0 Everton

26 goals in 8 games. Thats a 3.25 goals per game average.

Old December 10th, 2006, 11:29 PM   #1467
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Very good points man, but just calm down (see my second comment beolow).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
no one outside england cares about the premiership???? uhm ok if u say so.
Lol, it was actually that idiot Verbal Kint who said that, Lostboy was just quoting it.

As a warning to everyone, it is best if you just don't respond to that bitter, deluded idiot 'Verbal Kint' at all, because the more you do the more it will encourage him to post more crap and derail the thread.

Telling him about how the Prem is the oldest, most profitable, most watched league in the world, with the most passionate rivalries, paciest and exciting games etc etc etc...is pointless...it's like trying to tell a baby to use the toilet...you can yell at him all day, and yet he's still just gonna spowt crap when he feels like it....Ignore him!

Anyway, as regards my last post, I must apologise. I said 'I think that must have been a rumour started by someone who was trying to start a rumour! I have never heard anyone from FIFA or UEFA hint that they want the European leagues to be played from Feb to Nov.'. However, I was watching the cracking match between Chelski and Arsenal today (the Prem at its best!) and one of the commentators said something like "it's good to see a match played near christmas time, Sepp Blatter has anounced his wihs for the football season to be from February to November".....so, it isn't just a rumour then!!

But c'mon, Sepp may be the head of FIFA, but even he doesn't have the power to make UEFA reschedule all of the league timetables....does he??

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Old December 11th, 2006, 03:29 AM   #1468
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
India is certainly a curve-ball of a suggestion. Booming economy or not - until they sort out the infrastructure and the massive problems of poverty and disease I doubt that they will get anywhere near winning a finals tournament.

Realistically, in terms of 2018 - the only countries with a realistic shot are the Europeans. (a) FIFA have stated that 2018 will be in Europe, and (b) even if they abandoned the rotation, they certainly wouldn't chose to abandon the first European finals in 12 years. Most likely to be England (because Spain, Italy, France and Germany have all had it since 'we' last did, and we've pretty much already got the facilities required.

The USA, I have no doubt, will get the next Americas tournament - 2026 (unless something goes wrong in the prospective Brazil (and/or Argentina) bid, in which case they'd have a shot at 2014). 2022 will be China or Australia (I suspect China due to the size of the population, but hope Australia - because I'm here!).
Rotation stops after 2014.

It was only meant to get the WC to South Africa and Brazil.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old December 11th, 2006, 04:46 AM   #1469
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
I think that must have been a rumour started by someone who was trying to start a rumour!!

I have never heard anyone from FIFA or UEFA hint that they want the European leagues to be played from Feb to Nov. It wouldn't really make any sense at all, and would screw up the entire system that football has been built up around for decades! Sure, the weather might be better for the league season, but that would be about the only advantage!

http://football.guardian.co.uk/break...266565,00.html
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old December 11th, 2006, 08:03 AM   #1470
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Gioяgos] View Post
Lol funny post.
Glad you realised the Seriousness.
Old December 11th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #1471
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Lol. i wouldn't get too worried about what Verbal Kint says, he's done nothing but troll since he arrived at this forum.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old December 11th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #1472
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:

I have never heard anyone from FIFA or UEFA hint that they want the European leagues to be played from Feb to Nov. It wouldn't really make any sense at all, and would screw up the entire system that football has been built up around for decades!
Either you havent been paying attention, or....Well, actually you just havent been paying attention...

FIFA President sugested this in a recent interview with Kicker magazine. Of couse this isnt the first time he has done so, so I guess we can forgive you for not paying to much attention to him....

http://www.squarefootball.net/articl...e.asp?aid=3967
cphdude no está en línea  
Old December 11th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #1473
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphdude View Post
Either you havent been paying attention, or....Well, actually you just havent been paying attention...
Actually, it would appear that you haven't been paying attension; if you had read my last comment, you'd see that I did actually acknowledge the error in my earlier post, and that I was aware of Blatter's suggestion.

Old December 11th, 2006, 06:21 PM   #1474
kamilo
MUSE

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juddy View Post

Then Australia won't host a WC. As simple as that.
Old December 12th, 2006, 04:45 PM   #1475
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilo View Post
Then Australia won't host a WC. As simple as that.
Its still a Long, long time away Mate.
You never Know, stanger things have happen.
Old December 14th, 2006, 03:00 AM   #1476
Maxflax

Likes (Received): 0

I belive China will be the likely hosts for the 2018 WC, it's going to Asia and they have the stadiums already. If for some reason it will go to Europe my bet is on England.
Maxflax no está en línea  
Old December 14th, 2006, 05:59 AM   #1477
Sparks

Likes (Received): 153

China don't have the stadium yet. You can't play a world cup in country where virtually every pitch will have an athletics track around it.
Old December 14th, 2006, 07:54 AM   #1478
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4637

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxflax View Post
I belive China will be the likely hosts for the 2018 WC, it's going to Asia and they have the stadiums already.
No: WC 2018 will take place in Europe
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer está en línea ahora  
Old December 14th, 2006, 08:08 AM   #1479
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomer View Post
No: WC 2018 will take place in Europe
Do you have an inside source? I'd like to think that countries have to bid and go thru an application process before the WC is awarded.

Calvin W no está en línea  
Old December 14th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #1480
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
China don't have the stadium yet. You can't play a world cup in country where virtually every pitch will have an athletics track around it.
Plenty of stadiums in China without running tracks (although the biggest ones do have them). There were running tracks around a good number of the German stadiums (of the 5 I went to, Nuremberg, Berlin and Stuttgart all had tracks).

As to the AFL's influence on an Aussie bid - if Australia is to make a serious bid for the finals, then they would have to make it with as few AFL/Cricket venues as possible. We've gone over this numerous time on the board, AFL venues are not ideal for football - just like stadiums with running tracks are less than perfect. FIFA raises it's standards at each successive world cup, so by the time a 2022 (most likely Asia bid time) comes around it's likely the requirements will be for 'soccer focussed' stadiums. We just have to hope that the A-League continues to grow at it's current rate and that all of the clubs need (and have) large stadiums by the time a bid comes up.
Benjuk no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup