daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 17th, 2006, 12:27 AM   #1521
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SPIRES View Post
England will easily have 10 x 50k stadiums by 2018

Already Built

Manchester - 76,000
London (Wembley) - 90,000
London (Arsenal) - 60,000
Newcastle - 52,000

Planned New ground

Liverpool - 60,000

Planned extensions of present ground

Birmingham (Villa) - 51,000
Sunderland - 65,000

Only 3 more would be needed these would probably be Leeds, Sheffield and Bristol out of all these grounds the only ones that could be seen as possibly unsustainable would be Bristol.
Would St James Park be used? It's a pretty ugly stadium. I think if England got it in 2018, there would be other stadia with enough capacity by then. Or would it be essential that Newcastle was a host city?
Wezza no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2006, 01:09 AM   #1522
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin W View Post
Canada could easily have 12 stadiums 50 000+ by 2018
BC place 60 000
CommonWealth stadium 60 000+
Olympic Stadium 60 000+
Rogers Centre 55 000+
McMahon 50 000+
Taylor Field 50 000+
Canad Inns Stadium 50 000+
Ivor Wyne Stadium 50 000+
Frank Clair Stadium 50 000+
Griffith Stadium 50 000+
TD Waterhouse Stadium 50 000+
Rouge et Orange Stadium 50 000+
Halifax Commonwealth Stadium 50 000+
St John's Memorial Stadium 50 000+

So we could do as good as you!
Come on, you surely can't be serious!!

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea  
Old December 17th, 2006, 01:11 AM   #1523
Canadian Chocho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
Would St James Park be used? It's a pretty ugly stadium. I think if England got it in 2018, there would be other stadia with enough capacity by then. Or would it be essential that Newcastle was a host city?
Thank you!! I like Newcastle and all but SJP is ugly.

1 2 3
Old December 17th, 2006, 04:42 AM   #1524
Sparks

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
What are you on about?

How is it ugly and how would that effect whether it would be used or not? It will go on facilities and size. St James' Park is currently the third best in England on both of those aspects. You can be certain that additional improvements will be made before 2018, likely an expansion to around 60,000, and yes it will be essential that Newcastle is a host city.

How many people in the ground or watching a match on TV will see St James' from the air? The only thing that is out of place is the east stand roof and that will be one of the things that gets a facelift in the coming years.

It's uniqueness is something that is attractive both for it's location and it's design. I wouldn't want a country full of identical bowl venues.

Last edited by Sparks; December 17th, 2006 at 05:15 AM.
Sparks está en línea ahora  
Old December 17th, 2006, 08:02 AM   #1525
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chocho View Post
Come on, you surely can't be serious!!
Why not every other possible bid in this thread is a work of fiction. Why can't Canada have their own dream.

As for the original coment I made. I said COULD, not WILL. After all anything is possible.
Calvin W no está en línea  
Old December 17th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #1526
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
FIFA currently only allow one host city to have more than one stadium...
That requirement would just lead to a waste of a perfectly good stadium in many cases. The other problem with Australia is that there aren't that many cities and to spread them out would probably make matches less accessible. For example, if Newcastle hosted a match, most of the spectators would be going through Sydney anyway.

It would be silly to miss out on a bid because of a technicality like this rather than being outbid by another country based on merit.
invincible no está en línea  
Old December 17th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #1527
Gerardogt

Likes (Received): 268

IT WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE ARGENTINA AND CHILE(THE MOST DYNAMIC LATIN AMERICA ECONOMY) HOSTING THE 2014 WORLD CUP!!!!!, IN LATIN AMERICA OUR BLOOD IS FULL OF FOOTBALL PASSION.....
Gerardogt no está en línea  
Old December 17th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #1528
Mesh22

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juddy View Post
Then we Have a massive problem. There is no way in Hell the AFL, a Billion Dollar Organisation will bring forward its schedule if its players are at risk. Do you seriously expect Athletes to run around in 35+ plus heat for 110 minutes. I think Not.

Also there is no way in Hell, the AFL is going to put its competition on hold just to suit Soccers needs. If the World Cup is going to be played in May, June, July etc... the AFL will have to play the first half of the year, go on holidays for a month and then come back in the exact same shape and level of skill as when they left. Never gonna Happen. The AFL doesnt take Christmas breaks or whatever as we dont need to.

Im not saying the AFL is any bigger or more powerful than FIFA. Thats just absurd. But to tell the AFL to do this and that is a bigger problem than u think.

The AFL can be pretty nasty if things dont go their way, they played a big role in smudging Melbourne's bid for the 96 Olympics against Atlanta in the late 80's.

I think Australia is more than capable, Telstra Dome was at capacity at the last Melbourne Victory game (54,000), which is more than can be said for many AFL games there.
Mesh22 no está en línea  
Old December 17th, 2006, 11:40 AM   #1529
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardogt View Post
IT WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE ARGENTINA AND CHILE(THE MOST DYNAMIC LATIN AMERICA ECONOMY) HOSTING THE 2014 WORLD CUP!!!!!, IN LATIN AMERICA OUR BLOOD IS FULL OF FOOTBALL PASSION.....
They don't have the stadia needed.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old December 17th, 2006, 11:58 AM   #1530
Martuh
×××

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
FU. St. James' is one of the most beautiful ánd unique stadiums in the world.
Martuh no está en línea  
Old December 17th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #1531
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
What are you on about?

How is it ugly and how would that effect whether it would be used or not? It will go on facilities and size. St James' Park is currently the third best in England on both of those aspects. You can be certain that additional improvements will be made before 2018, likely an expansion to around 60,000, and yes it will be essential that Newcastle is a host city.

How many people in the ground or watching a match on TV will see St James' from the air? The only thing that is out of place is the east stand roof and that will be one of the things that gets a facelift in the coming years.

It's uniqueness is something that is attractive both for it's location and it's design. I wouldn't want a country full of identical bowl venues.
As much as I dislike Newcastle (being from Sunderland myself), I wouldn't think for a second that St James' Park wouldn't (or shouldn't) be used as an important part of the English bid. It's a fantastic stadium, and in terms of 'entertaining' visitting supporters from around the world, Newcastle would be a fantastic location (for one thing, it has a natural area for the 'fanpark' on the town moor).

That said, they can't expand the Milburn Stand due to the listed houses behind it, and expanding the other stand (formerly Gallowgate, no idea what they call it now) would be a bugger as the land behind it is very tight.

Personally I don't see any need for expansion in order for the ground to play a part in the England bid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP
FIFA currently only allow one host city to have more than one stadium...
Not true. FIFA's requirements are that a MINIMUM of 8 stadiums over 7 cities. If a bid were made which included 10 over 7 cities - with 3 cities each having 2 stadia and the remaining 4 cities having 1 each, it would not have a negative effect on FIFA's decision. It's all about the spread of fixtures across the nation.

So, there would be no problem with Melbourne and Sydney having 2 stadiums each - so long as Australia could come up with 5 other cities capable of supporting 40k stadia, they'd be okay. (Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth... Struggling here... Woolongong, Newcastle, Canberra, Hobart, etc. - bit of a stretch).
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old December 17th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #1532
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

St. James's Park would certainly be used, it has some of the best fans in the country and Newcastle is a great city. I won't start to cross my fingers for Sunderland's stadium being used though, as what the hell will supporters visiting the city do when they aren't at a football game?
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old December 17th, 2006, 02:52 PM   #1533
kenny_in_blue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Im suprised you actually think any other country have a fair chance against China, its the most interesting bid with out a doubt financially and thats what football is all about these days.
kenny_in_blue no está en línea  
Old December 17th, 2006, 03:05 PM   #1534
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesh22 View Post
The AFL can be pretty nasty if things dont go their way, they played a big role in smudging Melbourne's bid for the 96 Olympics against Atlanta in the late 80's.

I think Australia is more than capable, Telstra Dome was at capacity at the last Melbourne Victory game (54,000), which is more than can be said for many AFL games there.
The Thing is, if FIFA really want Australia to get the WC, then they have to scedule it during the Warmer months. Say in Feb-March or at the tail end of September-October. Therefore a deal with the AFL can be organised properly and people will actually come to Australia in gorgious weather.... what Australia (especially Perth and oh we better exclude Melbourne cause somehow im thinking their weather is going to let me down) is known for. Like do you expect tourists to come and enjoy two winters in a row??? Come On...

If Australia ever gets the WC it wont be in the months of May June July.
Old December 17th, 2006, 03:07 PM   #1535
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny_in_blue View Post
Im suprised you actually think any other country have a fair chance against China, its the most interesting bid with out a doubt financially and thats what football is all about these days.
Maybe China should use some of that financial power on its provery levels and FIFA might warm to it. But yet again somehow u have a valid point.
Old December 17th, 2006, 03:33 PM   #1536
Canadian Chocho

Quote:
McMahon 50 000+
Taylor Field 50 000+
Griffith Stadium 50 000+

That's where you went wrong. especially the ones in red, these are small uiv stadia that have like 8 000 capacity max.

1 2 3
Old December 17th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #1537
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6296

Quote:
I know other people have responded to this comment, but I also would like to vent my feelings! St James Park is one of THE greatest stadiums you could wish to find, and it's bloody beautiful! It has got a spectacularly elegant floating glass roof, amazing tiers that are right in front of the pitch, and such a great history! Its uniqueness and quirky look really do seperate it from your average 'bowl' stadium.

The only people who don't like it are people who only see 'bowl' design stadiums as being great, the people who don't appeciate the history-filled passionate stadiums like SJP that have been built on and added to over the years to create true character, instead of the typical manufactured and replicated jargon pumped out these days for stadiums!!

I would MUCH MUCH MUCH rather watch football in this stadium then I would in the countless number of athletics stadums used in just about every previous WC, which may have been bowl designed, but put the fans so far away from the pitch that they could get better views watching it on tv! And, no offense to teh Australian bid here or anything, but I would MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer to watch football in SJP then I would in those cricket stadiums!!

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim está en línea ahora  
Old December 17th, 2006, 03:40 PM   #1538
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin W View Post
Canada could easily have 12 stadiums 50 000+ by 2018
BC place 60 000
CommonWealth stadium 60 000+
Olympic Stadium 60 000+
Rogers Centre 55 000+
McMahon 50 000+
Taylor Field 50 000+
Griffith Stadium 50 000+

So we could do as good as you!
As much as I would love t see my fellow countrymen get the chance to host a WC, we just don't have the stadiums at the moment, the capacities you have mentioned there are quite out of whack! And most are ill suited to playing football in and would need much regeneration. Even though the USA has hosted a WC not too long ago, I can see them getting another WC before Canada.

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim está en línea ahora  
Old December 17th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #1539
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juddy View Post
The Thing is, if FIFA really want Australia to get the WC, then they have to scedule it during the Warmer months. Say in Feb-March or at the tail end of September-October. Therefore a deal with the AFL can be organised properly and people will actually come to Australia in gorgious weather.... what Australia (especially Perth and oh we better exclude Melbourne cause somehow im thinking their weather is going to let me down) is known for. Like do you expect tourists to come and enjoy two winters in a row??? Come On...

If Australia ever gets the WC it wont be in the months of May June July.
well its june july or nothing. unless the year is 2022 and the european league season has drastically changed its aug-may timetable.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old December 17th, 2006, 10:18 PM   #1540
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chocho View Post
That's where you went wrong. especially the ones in red, these are small uiv stadia that have like 8 000 capacity max.
I can dream? no where in World Cup bidding does it say you have to have the facilities in place before you bid. Seriously what else would they use? BMO? not unless you add 30 000 seats. So why can't a stadium in Saskatoon, London, Halifax, St John's, etc be renovated expanded.

No where in my original post did it say these stadiums are currently available. For all of you who have missed it I said COULD not would. Big difference.
Calvin W no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup