daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 19th, 2006, 09:42 AM   #1561
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
FIFA already scrapped the rotation after 2014, it was just meant to get South Africa and Brazil the WC.

After that it should be...

2018- Europe
2022- Rest of World
2026- Europe
2030- Uruguay
2034- Rest of World
2038- Europe
2042- Rest of World
2046- WW III

And South Africa is going along fine for 2010.

If 2014 goes to anybody else, Mexico and the USA will be first in line to host it.
Uruguay??
Wezza no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 19th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #1562
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6296

Lol, I understand your surprise. People have only been suggesting Uruguay for 2030 becasue it would be symbolic, to celebrate the 100 year anniversary of the competition. But I can assure you that Uruguay will not be hosting in 2030, or for that matter, ever again...unless it is somehow roped into a joint bid (but FIFA are really not gonna tollerate joint bids after too long). Uruguay's hay day has been and gone, it's football stadiums are of a very poor quality, and its team is a far far stretch from the team that won the 1930 and 1950 WC.

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim está en línea ahora  
Old December 19th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #1563
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juddy View Post
Mate i think were on different pages although i agree with ya. Do we expect FIFA to conduct some behind the scene agreement??? No, thats just plain unethical. But what i was trying to say however is that if FIFA can forge some special relations with the FFA in regards to growing the game here, then why not. However this will all start with how well the A-league goes, as you have pointed out.

Australia can hold an Outstanding WC, thats no question. The only question is how much FIFA wants the WC to go to Australia in front of countries such as Morroco, China etc.
You need to re-arrange the statement... Not "if FIFA can forge some special relations with the FFA", should be, "if the FFA can forge some special relations with FIFA". The biggest problem being that Australia has nothing that FIFA wants (as demonstrated by the 2006 qualification flip-flop, "you've got a direct path to the finals, oops, no, South America don't like that idea, you've got a half-spot again".

If FIFA wants to grow the game they would surely rather take it to China (population 1.2 billion) than Australia (population 20 million). ALL other nations have the advantage of boosting the profile of the game in their area, whilst an Australian competition only really raises the profile of the game in Australia itself (although the time-zone would help China/Japan, etc.).
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old December 19th, 2006, 03:03 PM   #1564
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
"major problems"?
Mo, not inferring that your boys will have major problems - I was saying that in order for Australia to have a chance of getting the finals, tournaments in South Africa and Brazil would have to have major problems, thus encouraging FIFA to go for the 'safe option' of a nation known for hosting major events, etc.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old December 20th, 2006, 03:50 AM   #1565
johnz88
polska88

Likes (Received): 0

No offense but you have to take another look at BMO field. It may look nice and is good enough for Canada, but in reality it is far away from a world class or even good enough to host anything above a junior competition or mls. It is a stell structure that has some brick around the outside. If there would be any idea of haveing the World Cup in NA Canada wouldn't be seen as a real option, at least not at the moment. USA on the other hand could host the world cup if it was to be in 6 months.
Old December 20th, 2006, 04:22 AM   #1566
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin W View Post
BMO would never be used not with Rogers Centre a mile or two away.Easier to put in a truf field in the stadium instead of adding 30 000 seats.

As for TD Waterhouse. It has as much potential to expand as BMO, but it at least would serve a different market.

But like I said we won't have to worry about it in our life time as Canada and the WC are as likely as living on Mars.
Are you talking about the real World Cup or the actual U-20 World Cup next year in which BMO will be home to the opening and final game. Make up your mind.

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea  
Old December 20th, 2006, 02:20 PM   #1567
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
You need to re-arrange the statement... Not "if FIFA can forge some special relations with the FFA", should be, "if the FFA can forge some special relations with FIFA". The biggest problem being that Australia has nothing that FIFA wants (as demonstrated by the 2006 qualification flip-flop, "you've got a direct path to the finals, oops, no, South America don't like that idea, you've got a half-spot again".
I think we've gain alot of Respect from FIFA with our performance both on and off the park in Germany. This will be furthur enforced with the continual growth (as we suspect) of the A- League. However were a million miles away still from being FIFA's love child. So no special agreements, favours, what-ever for the short- term.

Quote:
If FIFA wants to grow the game they would surely rather take it to China (population 1.2 billion) than Australia (population 20 million). ALL other nations have the advantage of boosting the profile of the game in their area, whilst an Australian competition only really raises the profile of the game in Australia itself (although the time-zone would help China/Japan, etc.).
True and not to mention their willingness to build stadiums left right and centre through their emerging economy. It might be because im biased or whatever but i just dont see the point in China spending all those money when the most of their population is in the shitter.

Just wondering mate, with the WC being in a relatively Western Country, do you think FIFA will award it again to another one, in Australia or will it be the likes of China.
Old December 21st, 2006, 12:56 AM   #1568
Benjuk

Quote:
It might be because im biased or whatever but i just dont see the point in China spending all those money when the most of their population is in the shitter.
Same could be said of many other bids - South Africa, Brazil, etc. (ducking down and protecting my head after saying that)

Quote:
Just wondering mate, with the WC being in a relatively Western Country, do you think FIFA will award it again to another one, in Australia or will it be the likes of China.
I'm positive it'll come round this side of the planet again one day - I'd love it to be Oz (and a hell of a bid COULD be put in if the A League keeps growing), but feel it'll be China... And let's not rule out a joint Nauru/Tuvalu bid

Oh, with regards to your sig... It's not Juddy that Leigh Matthews was talking about - it's Bec Twigley.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old December 23rd, 2006, 08:58 PM   #1569
SimLim

Likes (Received):

I think people are missing the most obvious point here. England are the biggest set of travelling fans to any world/european tournament. All home games would be played at 90,000 Wembley stadium. We would'nt even need 4 50,000+ seater stadiums to host a world cup because only 8% of all tickets go to each countries FA. Last year 13 teams had to send tickets back to FIFA after being unable to sell them.

England has the highest density of major stadiums in the world. A country the same size as the state of iowa in America has dozens of 40,000+ stadia. Wolverhampton a city 8 miles away from Birmingham has plans to increase capacity by 16,500 to well over 45,000. This is on top of Birmingham Citys new complex and a almost guranteed future expansion of both the Hawthorns and Villa Park to 40 and 50k respectively. Manchester United will see thier stadium reach close to 90k within the next 12 years, Bolton could also see a possible upgrade. Stoke have looked into expansion, as have Reading and Bristol City.

I think people are trying to grasp a reason as to why England should'nt get the 2018 world cup because as most here know, its more or less guranteed. England is more prepared now then Brazil will be in 2013 for the 2014 world cup.

East and West Midlands could host a European Championship on its own if we just built the City of Birmingham Stadium or Expanded Villa Park to 50k+ which WILL happen with Randy Learner at the helm.

Old December 23rd, 2006, 09:58 PM   #1570
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6296

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimLim View Post
I think people are missing the most obvious point here. England are the biggest set of travelling fans to any world/european tournament. All home games would be played at 90,000 Wembley stadium. We would'nt even need 4 50,000+ seater stadiums to host a world cup because only 8% of all tickets go to each countries FA. Last year 13 teams had to send tickets back to FIFA after being unable to sell them.

England has the highest density of major stadiums in the world. A country the same size as the state of iowa in America has dozens of 40,000+ stadia. Wolverhampton a city 8 miles away from Birmingham has plans to increase capacity by 16,500 to well over 45,000. This is on top of Birmingham Citys new complex and a almost guranteed future expansion of both the Hawthorns and Villa Park to 40 and 50k respectively. Manchester United will see thier stadium reach close to 90k within the next 12 years, Bolton could also see a possible upgrade. Stoke have looked into expansion, as have Reading and Bristol City.

I think people are trying to grasp a reason as to why England should'nt get the 2018 world cup because as most here know, its more or less guranteed. England is more prepared now then Brazil will be in 2013 for the 2014 world cup.

East and West Midlands could host a European Championship on its own if we just built the City of Birmingham Stadium or Expanded Villa Park to 50k+ which WILL happen with Randy Learner at the helm.
Good post! I agree with pretty much all of what you've said there, especially about England being better prepared to host a WC right now then Brazil will be in 6 years time!

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim está en línea ahora  
Old December 24th, 2006, 03:21 AM   #1571
kinggeorge

Likes (Received): 0

to anyone who thinks canada can actually host a world cup in 2018 with the stadiums they have now is crazzy i got to school in london so i go to all the football games and td waterhouse is small like 8000 to eexpand it to 40 000 would not be hard you would have to basically start from scratch cause there is only bleachers but london nor the university could support a stadium of anything over 15000
kinggeorge no está en línea  
Old December 24th, 2006, 03:30 AM   #1572
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimLim View Post

and more prepared than south africa is for 2010
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #1573
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

From looking at 2010 World Cup websites, and similar threads, South Africa is certainly on the up and I really look forward to the tournament. It could be on par with, say, USA or French World Cups.
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #1574
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Oh, and this thread better last until 2018 I have a horrible feeling Spain will be the dark horse in this race...
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2007, 03:13 AM   #1575
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gherkin007 View Post
Oh, and this thread better last until 2018 I have a horrible feeling Spain will be the dark horse in this race...

I've had the same feeling myself - but I suspect that Spain having held the finals in 1982, compared to England's 1966, would swing it back in our favour. That said, I've said for some time that England's preparedness is probably our worst enemy - we are the perfect stand-by in case of problems in South Africa, Brazil, or any other potential host (established national love of the game, European time zone for TV, stadia already in place, etc.), so I sometimes fear that FIFA won't give us the finals in order to always have a desperate and willing fall-back.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2007, 11:08 AM   #1576
Llanfairpwllgwy-ngyllgogerychwy-rndrobwllllanty-siliogogogoch
Brabantse nights are long

Llanfairpwllgwy-ngyllgogerychwy-rndrobwllllanty-siliogogogoch's Avatar

Likes (Received): 5

If St-James was completely like this and not just half it would be twice as impressive !!!!!!
Llanfairpwllgwy-ngyllgogerychwy-rndrobwllllanty-siliogogogoch no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #1577
Gherkin
actual gherkin

^Unfortunately there are plenty of listed (historically important) buildings right next to the ground. They could expand to around 60,000 by building over a nearby road, but this would prove costly and fans would rather the money be spent on new players. If all the stands were that size, St. James' Park would rival the San Siro in Milan
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2007, 12:32 PM   #1578
Llanfairpwllgwy-ngyllgogerychwy-rndrobwllllanty-siliogogogoch
Brabantse nights are long

Llanfairpwllgwy-ngyllgogerychwy-rndrobwllllanty-siliogogogoch's Avatar

Likes (Received): 5

still it is a sweet stadium, love it
Llanfairpwllgwy-ngyllgogerychwy-rndrobwllllanty-siliogogogoch no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:34 PM   #1579
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Rumour mongers speak of a 90,000 capacity of Old Trafford by 2018 and this is entirely feasible - big club, lots of money, plenty of fans, and room for expansion!
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:15 PM   #1580
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

Benelux all the way baby!

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup