daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 15th, 2007, 04:56 PM   #1601
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1103

Quote:
I seriously doubt we (Australia) could win the 18 bid
hey, if there's something us Aussies like doing, it's screwing the Brits. That's enough motivation for 2018.
Walbanger está en línea ahora  

Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #1602
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Could anyone explain me why England "should get it" only 6 years after the Olympics in London whereas Paris didn't get the Olympics in 2012 supposedly because it already had the World Cup 14 years before ??!!?!
Metropolitan no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #1603
GreenwichSE10
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

because no other country deserves it more
GreenwichSE10 no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #1604
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitan View Post
Could anyone explain me why England "should get it" only 6 years after the Olympics in London whereas Paris didn't get the Olympics in 2012 supposedly because it already had the World Cup 14 years before ??!!?!
do u even know ur sporting history? lots of countries have hosted olympics and world cups so close together. some examples include Munich Olympics in 1972 and the Germany world cup in 1976? USA 94 and Atlanta 96? theres some others but i cant remember
Old February 15th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #1605
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Some people are forgetting that UEFA actually in all honesty is more powerful then FIFA without UEFA theres is no FIFA or World Cup, most of the competing nations and member countires are European, European football is by far the most popular and gets the most viewers and crowds. It is just silly to think that Europe can go 16 years without a world cup!!
Old February 15th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #1606
marrio415

Likes (Received): 22

i'll give austarilia one thing they didn't do bad for a bunch of convicts i mean inmates sorry i meant criminals err prisioners.Bow down to to the mother land you aussies we will take the 2018 world cup and we will regain the ashes from you in 2009.Now your best players have gone your days are numbered.We proved that in the recent one day finals and your downfall has started.can you tell i'm not a fan of austrailians.God save the queen and manchester 02 was one of the best commonwealth games in it's history unlike that city in oz that hosted the 2006 games whats that city called err can't think now was it errinsborough no sorry melbourne what a stupid time to have the games at three o'clock in the morning,Don't you know us brits get up around eight in the morning inconsiderate gits next time think of the time gifference ok don't make the same mistake again you should cater for your mother land.
marrio415 no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2007, 09:26 PM   #1607
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd View Post
Some people are forgetting that UEFA actually in all honesty is more powerful then FIFA without UEFA theres is no FIFA or World Cup, most of the competing nations and member countires are European, European football is by far the most popular and gets the most viewers and crowds. It is just silly to think that Europe can go 16 years without a world cup!!
Europe is not only England.

Poland has never hosted the World Cup. Same goes for the Netherlands. Why shouldn't they got their chance too ?
Metropolitan no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #1608
KiwiBrit
There's only one United

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Europe is not only England.

Poland has never hosted the World Cup. Same goes for the Netherlands. Why shouldn't they got their chance too ?
No ones saying Poland, the Netherlands or anyone else can't bid for the 2018 WC! I'd be surprised if the Poles of Dutch did though. They would probably start with hosting the Euro finals first and taking it from there.

Quote:
Australasia isn't an issue...
If Sydney wanted the world cup 2moro and lobbied for it, i think they would get it. No1 ever says no to Sydney, its the chosen city. When it comes to brand recognition Sydney is number 1 so that shouldnt be a problem.
Got to admire this blokes optimism! The main problem with your post is a World Cup is hosted by a COUNTRY and not just a city. So I guess someone will be saying no to Sydney

This Aussie bidding for a WC is getting a little out of hand. Lets look at the facts. I personally think Australia would put on a bloody good tournament, but has some major flaws. I know we've gone over them before but let's look again. Stadiums are going to need to be built/upgraded. The time difference. The tournament will be played in your Winter. And the legacy to a population of what 20 million.

Whereas some one like China. They would start to build 10 new stadiums tomorrow if need be. The time difference is better for the larger TV markets. And they are the largest untapped footballing market left with a population of what, 1.2 billion people.

I do think 2022 will be going to Asia, I just don't think it will be going to 'a land down under' unfortunately.
KiwiBrit no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #1609
*England*
Who Dares Wins

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austraarabian View Post
Australasia isn't an issue...
If Sydney wanted the world cup 2moro and lobbied for it, i think they would get it. No1 ever says no to Sydney, its the chosen city. When it comes to brand recognition Sydney is number 1 so that shouldnt be a problem.

Stadiums shouldn't be an issue...
Sydney's telstra stadium would be upgraded to some "worlds biggest" title, There is the SCG, Aussie Stadium and then you have the rest of Australia's stadiums. And by 20XX there will be more stadiums and interest in the game. It all depends on when the NSW govt. decides to lobby for it... Ill keep you all posted; however I know that China may be the bigger rival, not Europe. NSW Premier Morris Iemma did discuss hosting as early as 2014; however explained an obstacle and said if not 2014 than 2018. I don't think there were any intentions of going 2022, but we'll see.
no one says no to sydney cos your country doesn't play fair in bids and gets events thanks to back handers, as we all saw for 2000 olympic bid, you might stand a chance if blatter is still there come 2010 as he's the most corrupt person at fifa, but i see him gone very soon.
*England* no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:12 AM   #1610
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

I think it's between England and Spain for 2018. China is very attractive but I think FIFA will advise them to bid for 2022 instead. With 2010 in Africa nd 2014 in South America (Brazil?) methinks FIFA will want to bring football back to the big money of Europe.

Australia has zero chance. It's not a football country, has a small population, and there's a time zone issue too.
Monkey no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:19 AM   #1611
*England*
Who Dares Wins

makes me laugh a country like England has to even make a bid when a country like south africa gets the competition, they got crap stadiums and the ones that are good aint built yet and thats not even mentioning the rapes, murders, robbery all happening, any fan that goes there will either not come home cos you'll be one of the 60 killed a day or come home poor cos you been robbed or you'll get home nice and early thanks to getting raped and end up with aids for your trouble.
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:24 AM   #1612
*England*
Who Dares Wins

as for china they'll have little chance of hosting anything when everyone comes back from their olympics with lung problems from all the pollution in their cities.
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:25 AM   #1613
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by *England* View Post
makes me laugh a country like England has to even make a bid when a country like south africa gets the competition, they got crap stadiums and the ones that are good aint built yet and thats not even mentioning the rapes, murders, robbery all happening, any fan that goes there will either not come home cos you'll be one of the 60 killed a day or come home poor cos you been robbed or you'll get home nice and early thanks to getting raped and end up with aids for your trouble.
you obviously have not been to south africa, i also assume you're not one of the thousands of english tourists that visit south africa en masse every year, i also assume that ignorance has been eating you up for ages, i also assume that you were not one of the thousands of english fans/spectators who attended both the rugby and cricket world cup.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:29 AM   #1614
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

I was one of those English tourists a few years ago, and that's certainly the case People's stereotypes of South Africa will be blown away after the World Cup.
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:34 AM   #1615
ale26

Likes (Received): 17

I love it how people think Canada is so incapable of hosting a WC. If it were in a year or two, we couldn't do it..but hello, its in 12 years..and if people think it's too expensive for Canada, thats totally wrong, i saw someone wrote an average cost for a WC is about 5-6 billion $..well the Canadian Government just spent about 4 billion dollars on 4 huge boeing military planes and Toronto Pearson airport was built (another 4-5 billion) so don't think Canada has no money. And Canadians do like soccer..When Italy won the world cup, Toronto had one of the largest after parties in the world on St. Claire Street outside of Italy..
ale26 no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #1616
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6300

Quote:
Yes, I can explain that. Paris didn't lose the Olympics (despite what you may have heard) because they had hosted the WC in 98, they lost it because London's bid and especially the presentation of the bid was better the Paris', simple as that.

As 'ItsAllGood' has already said, lots of countries have hosted olympics and world cups closer together then 2012-2018, so that isn't really a good arguement for London not getting the WC in 2018. Also, the Olympics is a completely different sporting organisation to the football WC, and therefore no bearing will be had on FIFA with regards to England having the 2012 Olympics, because it is a seperate entity.

It just so happens that England haven't hosted the WC sisnce 1966, and haven't hosted the Olympics since 1948, so it is no real suprise then that the two should come along together in the future, given that both are due a return to Isles!

Quote:
This comment is uncalled for man, and grossly out of order. South Africa HAD to be given a chance to host the WC, becasue under the previous rotation system they would never have been included, and they had to outbid other countries in the process as well you know, they weren't just handed it.

Of cours ethe stadiums arn't go to be in place like in England, that is precisisly why FIFA are keen to have a WC there, to help regenerate the sport in that area and build up the infastructure in the poorer regions. This talk of muderers and rapes and whatnot is an outdated stereotype from what I've heard, much like the hooliganism problem in England. Sure, it's not gonna be free of it, but it shouldn't be a big casue for concern!

I'm sure Mo and others will speak up for their nation better then I can though!

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:45 AM   #1617
*England*
Who Dares Wins

thats a lot of assuming your doing there, my point is thats a lot of murders rapes and thieving going a day for a country hosting the biggest sporting event in the world, they aint my figures thats what was on news just the other day, and when their government was asked about the 60 murders a day they responded "i dont think we have a problem"

thats not even mentioning the 100s of people in a taxi caught in traffic that end up with a gun in their face made to hand over their wallets, and guess what the next world cup wont be much better cos it will be in brazil!

after the world cup goes to these 2 countries football will need the next world cup in England to get its good reputation back, so roll on 2018.

and as for the rugby and cricket world cups their is just no comparison to the fifa wc, pardon the phrase but its just not cricket!
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #1618
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Quote:
Thats harsh dude, give em a chance.
Old February 16th, 2007, 01:00 AM   #1619
*England*
Who Dares Wins

i know what your saying jack and they wouldn't of been included, im not cussing their country for the fun of it or to be nasty im just stating facts, and i think this is when a country like australia deserved it, but no, fifa would rather australia win or lose to a period when its due back to europe.

my only problem is the african government say they dont have a problem, and if their attitudes dont change come 2010 then it will be people like you saying how the hell did the wc end up there, seems to me you all think its ok as long as the fans will be ok, and thats just wrong.

all its doing is helping England win the 2018 bid because after africa and brazil they will need England to make up the lost revenue.
Old February 16th, 2007, 01:05 AM   #1620
Avens

Quote:
You ignorant wanker. South Africa is a fantastic country and one of the most popular holiday destinations in the world. Yes it does have problems, but where in the world doesn't? The problems you've so delicately highlighted are normally found in the inner city ghettos (where every single country in the world suffers similar problems) or the townships.

I lived there for a year and nothing like that happened to me. Both my parents were born and raised in the country and they've come out of it ok. Neither of them were raped & I'm pretty sure neither were murdered. That's after living there for 20 years. My grandparents still live there and none of that's happened to them either, after being there 50 years. I'll admit there were a couple of robberies (my mother's house was robbed once and the shop she worked at was also robbed once).

Your comments were a ******* disgrace on a forum which normally encourages people to understand more about the rest of the world and not to make judgements based on stereotypes. The horrible thing is I want the same thing as you do (England 2018), but the way that you've tried to argue our case will not win any votes.

Liverpool FC
Avens no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup