daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 16th, 2007, 01:11 AM   #1621
*England*
Who Dares Wins

Likes (Received): 0

come on avens your thick as poo and your swearing is what, making up for big words you dont know?

you people are all thick if you cant see my point, i didn't even say they couldn't host it, infact i think it will be good anywhere in the world, my main point is their government doesn't care about whats going on in their own country, thats ignorant, not me.

maybe you should all stick to talking about metal structures!
*England* no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2007, 01:11 AM   #1622
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avens View Post
You ignorant wanker. South Africa is a fantastic country and one of the most popular holiday destinations in the world. Yes it does have problems, but where in the world doesn't? The problems you've so delicately highlighted are normally found in the inner city ghettos (where every single country in the world suffers similar problems) or the townships.

I lived there for a year and nothing like that happened to me. Both my parents were born and raised in the country and they've come out of it ok. Neither of them were raped & I'm pretty sure neither were murdered. That's after living there for 20 years. My grandparents still live there and none of that's happened to them either, after being there 50 years. I'll admit there were a couple of robberies (my mother's house was robbed once and the shop she worked at was also robbed once).

Your comments were a ******* disgrace on a forum which normally encourages people to understand more about the rest of the world and not to make judgements based on stereotypes. The horrible thing is I want the same thing as you do (England 2018), but the way that you've tried to argue our case will not win any votes.
I honestly wonder if he has travelled. Surely his comments/outburst is not consistent with someone who has seen the world, learnt about cultures, been changed by exploring and travelling. It seems things all went horribly wrong at some point. thats not an attack but from where I stand i can't see any other reason to feel the need to rubbish another country to promote the bid of your own country, a bid which im fully in support of.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2007, 01:17 AM   #1623
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by *England* View Post
thats a lot of assuming your doing there, my point is thats a lot of murders rapes and thieving going a day for a country hosting the biggest sporting event in the world, they aint my figures thats what was on news just the other day, and when their government was asked about the 60 murders a day they responded "i dont think we have a problem"

thats not even mentioning the 100s of people in a taxi caught in traffic that end up with a gun in their face made to hand over their wallets, and guess what the next world cup wont be much better cos it will be in brazil!

after the world cup goes to these 2 countries football will need the next world cup in England to get its good reputation back, so roll on 2018.

and as for the rugby and cricket world cups their is just no comparison to the fifa wc, pardon the phrase but its just not cricket!
yes its a lot of assuming, but is that now exactly what you are doing? assuming that stereotypes regarding RSA are true, assuming stadia are crap? which stadia? the proposed world cup stadia? the existing excellent facilities of newlands, kings park, and others not even being used as world cup venues.

which stadia are crap? which cities are crap?
cape town? ranked a top five tourists destination for how many years now? durban? tropical jewel and one of our best kept secrets
joburg? economic powerhouse of africa
bloemfontein?rustenburg, host to tri-nations matches,PE? nelsruit and its kruger national park?

since u feel so strong about how pathetic RSA is, please be more specific.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #1624
Mo Rush

Quote:
come on avens your thick as poo and your swearing is what, making up for big words you dont know?

you people are all thick if you cant see my point, i didn't even say they couldn't host it, infact i think it will be good anywhere in the world, my main point is their government doesn't care about whats going on in their own country, thats ignorant, not me.

k now ure just ramlbing,not even addressing the points made by avens, well how can you? u've never been to south africa. how can you comment on the massive investment gvt has made in the country over the last ten years?

this is where it ends for me. I thought perhaps you had some reasonable backing behind your outburst, but unfortunately not.

other forumers, feel free to entertain him/her.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2007, 01:20 AM   #1625
Avens

Quote:

I'm not the one refering to the 'African Government'. Just in case you're still unsure, Africa is a continent, made up of many countries which each have their own government.

If you're point was that the South African government doesn't care about what's going on in their own country, then why did you not even hint at that in your original post? All you did was regurgitate some tired old stereotypes that all uneducated British, American or Australian schoolkids have of South Africa. And those are the ones that realise that South Africa is actually a country. I'm surprised you didn't mention anything about mud huts actually, I hear that one a lot.

Liverpool FC
Avens no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #1626
*England*
Who Dares Wins

your all banging on about my outburst, its not an outburst im just pointing out it was big news on tv just a week ago, and how it could affect the wc, and if they can get it then Englands 2018 bid should be a walk in the park.
*England* no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #1627
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit Slim View Post
Yes, I can explain that. Paris didn't lose the Olympics (despite what you may have heard) because they had hosted the WC in 98, they lost it because London's bid and especially the presentation of the bid was better the Paris', simple as that.

As 'ItsAllGood' has already said, lots of countries have hosted olympics and world cups closer together then 2012-2018, so that isn't really a good arguement for London not getting the WC in 2018. Also, the Olympics is a completely different sporting organisation to the football WC, and therefore no bearing will be had on FIFA with regards to England having the 2012 Olympics, because it is a seperate entity.

It just so happens that England haven't hosted the WC sisnce 1966, and haven't hosted the Olympics since 1948, so it is no real suprise then that the two should come along together in the future, given that both are due a return to Isles!

This comment is uncalled for man, and grossly out of order. South Africa HAD to be given a chance to host the WC, becasue under the previous rotation system they would never have been included, and they had to outbid other countries in the process as well you know, they weren't just handed it.

Of cours ethe stadiums arn't go to be in place like in England, that is precisisly why FIFA are keen to have a WC there, to help regenerate the sport in that area and build up the infastructure in the poorer regions. This talk of muderers and rapes and whatnot is an outdated stereotype from what I've heard, much like the hooliganism problem in England. Sure, it's not gonna be free of it, but it shouldn't be a big casue for concern!

I'm sure Mo and others will speak up for their nation better then I can though!

south africa came within one vote of germany, has undergone two fifa inspections during both the 2006 and 2010 bids, and the technical results were the same, if not better with the 2010 bid. it even beat england.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2007, 01:34 AM   #1628
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austraarabian View Post
Australasia isn't an issue...
If Sydney wanted the world cup 2moro and lobbied for it, i think they would get it. No1 ever says no to Sydney, its the chosen city. When it comes to brand recognition Sydney is number 1 so that shouldnt be a problem.

Stadiums shouldn't be an issue...
Sydney's telstra stadium would be upgraded to some "worlds biggest" title, There is the SCG, Aussie Stadium and then you have the rest of Australia's stadiums. And by 20XX there will be more stadiums and interest in the game. It all depends on when the NSW govt. decides to lobby for it... Ill keep you all posted; however I know that China may be the bigger rival, not Europe. NSW Premier Morris Iemma did discuss hosting as early as 2014; however explained an obstacle and said if not 2014 than 2018. I don't think there were any intentions of going 2022, but we'll see.
Sydney can't bid/lobby for the world cup - the finals are awarded to a country not a city. The winning country needs at least 7 cities with suitable stadiums - can you name 7 Australian cities capable of supporting a 40-50k stadium? And remember that FIFA has no need to bend rules to accomodate Straylia, there are numerous nations capable of putting in a great bid - why settle for a country that can't meet the bid specifications when they could have Spain, England, Italy, Holland, USA, China, etc.

I'd LOVE the finals to come to Australia, but thinking that an Aussie bid in 2018 would have a chance against a bid from one of the major European nations is dreaming. 2022 - AFTER Europe have had it, will be a good time to bid. If Straylia do bid for 2018 it will to gain experience rather than with any realistic expectation of winning.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2007, 01:44 AM   #1629
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avens View Post
You ignorant wanker. South Africa is a fantastic country and one of the most popular holiday destinations in the world. Yes it does have problems, but where in the world doesn't? The problems you've so delicately highlighted are normally found in the inner city ghettos (where every single country in the world suffers similar problems) or the townships.

I lived there for a year and nothing like that happened to me. Both my parents were born and raised in the country and they've come out of it ok. Neither of them were raped & I'm pretty sure neither were murdered. That's after living there for 20 years. My grandparents still live there and none of that's happened to them either, after being there 50 years. I'll admit there were a couple of robberies (my mother's house was robbed once and the shop she worked at was also robbed once).

Your comments were a ******* disgrace on a forum which normally encourages people to understand more about the rest of the world and not to make judgements based on stereotypes. The horrible thing is I want the same thing as you do (England 2018), but the way that you've tried to argue our case will not win any votes.
Fantastic post. Puts a bit more reality into things. I know quite a few South Africans and the only bad thing they have to say about the country is that they've had to leave to to 'positive' discrimination. Law and order, etc., not an issue so long as you stay out of the ghetto - much the same as in the US.

The best thing about SA getting the finals is that the world will be able to change it's perceptions about the country - in much the same way as an awful lot of English supporters will have changed their perceptions of Germany in 2006 (I for one, due to a lifetime of stereotypes, never expected the German's to be so welcoming, humorous, friendly, etc., or for their country to be so beautiful). Roll on 2010.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #1630
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrio415 View Post
i'll give austarilia one thing they didn't do bad for a bunch of convicts i mean inmates sorry i meant criminals err prisioners.
We sure did. But hows your jails going mate? Full sign taken off yet?

Quote:
Bow down to to the mother land you aussies we will take the 2018 world cup and we will regain the ashes from you in 2009.Now your best players have gone your days are numbered.
Bow down? You would know about bending over in major sporting events wouldnt you. As for 09.... how about 5-0??
Quote:
We proved that in the recent one day finals and your downfall has started.can you tell i'm not a fan of austrailians.
You played well for 5 games. Il give you that. But please come back to me after the WC ok.
Quote:
God save the queen and manchester 02 was one of the best commonwealth games in it's history unlike that city in oz that hosted the 2006 games whats that city called err can't think now was it errinsborough no sorry melbourne
Manchester was one of more ordinary Comm games. And thats been widely agreed. Banging of water drums. What the??? And your bagging Melbourne, sorry mate... try again.
Quote:
what a stupid time to have the games at three o'clock in the morning,Don't you know us brits get up around eight in the morning inconsiderate gits next time think of the time gifference ok don't make the same mistake again you should cater for your mother land.
Sorry next time we should get Hackett to win hes golds at 3 in the morning for ya ok. Sounds good for ya champ?

In trying to avoid making this thread another ENG vs AUS bitch fight, i will forget that this bloke is a troll and that hes contribution to SSC is non existent. But back on topic. I do believe England will win the rights. Like it just makes sense. But be assure that if us Aussies do bid, were gonna put up a Gallipoli like fight.
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #1631
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juddy View Post
In trying to avoid making this thread another ENG vs AUS bitch fight, i will forget that this bloke is a troll and that hes contribution to SSC is non existent. But back on topic. I do believe England will win the rights. Like it just makes sense. But be assure that if us Aussies do bid, were gonna put up a Gallipoli like fight.
Lambs to the slaughter? No disrespect, but whilst the diggers demonstrate enormous bravery and heroism, there's no reason to want your FA to put up a fight comparable to that... How about something a little more effective, like Kokoda? Plucky little guys putting up an against the odds fight and coming out on top...

Aussie should stick to 2022 - take on the Chinese, etc. Give AFL a few more years to continue it's metamorphasis into soccer, and soccer another few years to catch on properly. Just have to get A-League franchises opened up in Canberra, Wollongong, Hobart, etc., so that a couple more stadium sites can be developed.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2007, 10:24 AM   #1632
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
Lambs to the slaughter? No disrespect, but whilst the diggers demonstrate enormous bravery and heroism, there's no reason to want your FA to put up a fight comparable to that... How about something a little more effective, like Kokoda? Plucky little guys putting up an against the odds fight and coming out on top...
Yep i agree. My bad.

Quote:
Aussie should stick to 2022 - take on the Chinese, etc. Give AFL a few more years to continue it's metamorphasis into soccer, and soccer another few years to catch on properly. Just have to get A-League franchises opened up in Canberra, Wollongong, Hobart, etc., so that a couple more stadium sites can be developed.
When you say stick to 22, are you saying that we should bid only for that WC? Like wouldnt it make more sense by bidding for the 18 WC even if weve got little to no chance of winning. Like the way im thinking, if Australia doesnt bid, someone else will and then they can show how wonderful or shithouse their country is.
Old February 18th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #1633
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juddy View Post
When you say stick to 22, are you saying that we should bid only for that WC? Like wouldnt it make more sense by bidding for the 18 WC even if weve got little to no chance of winning. Like the way im thinking, if Australia doesnt bid, someone else will and then they can show how wonderful or shithouse their country is.
I think I said on another thread somewhere that Straylia should maybe bid in 2018 for the experience, but that they should understand that the chances of them winning wouldn't be good.

That said, I'm all for the idea of not entering any fight you don't think you can win.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #1634
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

I hope Spain will host it, but it will probably be in England. I was quite surprised to hear that the last and only WC in England was in 1966. They have already have most of the stadiums, many fans and the distances are very short.
I hope Spain can get the EC 2016 because there probably won't be another WC in Europe until 2030.

3ds Max Script to create stadium stands for given c-values

my stadium designs (all WIP / unfinished...)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

lpioe no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #1635
matherto

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
your all banging on about my outburst, its not an outburst im just pointing out it was big news on tv just a week ago, and how it could affect the wc, and if they can get it then Englands 2018 bid should be a walk in the park.
of course we're gonna bang on about your outburst because it showed you up as nothing more than an idiotic, ignorant ****. You can't make comments like you did unless you have grounds to do so. If you're saying there's rape, robberies and so on, have you actual first hand proof to show it? And if anything, those comments sound exactly the same as the stereotypical comments about Liverpool (one of our host cities, should we win the right to host 2018).

you honestly shouldnt have 'England' in your name, makes forumers from around the world look down on us.
matherto no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #1636
SimLim

Likes (Received):

Brum's 55,000 city stadium still on track

Quote:
I'll bring world cup to Brum Feb 18 2007

By Graham Hill

DAVID Sullivan has revealed: I want to bring the World Cup to Blues... and beat Villa to it!

Birmingham City co-owner Sullivan is pushing Blues' claim to stage World Cup matches if England are awarded the tournament in 2018.

Despite constant speculation that he will sell his share in the club, Sullivan still has huge ambitions for Blues - and that includes the World Cup.

Sullivan, pictured, insists Blues' proposed 55,000-seater stadium in Saltley will be chosen as a World Cup venue, edging out Villa Park in the process.

Despite the failure of the Super casino bid for the site, which would have included a new stadium, Blues have remained in talks with the City Council.

And now Sullivan has claims that a new Birmingham City stadium could form part of England's bid to stage the World Cup 11 years from now.

"When the World Cup comes to England, hopefully in 2018, there will be matches at the City of Birmingham Stadium," said Sullivan.

"Villa's stadium may not be big enough or good enough if we get our ground.

"The City Council have said they are committed to building a new football stadium for the city. I think we'd be looking at five years from now at the earliest. But things are happening and I would imagine something could be announced in the next six months."

New Villa chairman Randy Lerner only has the capability at the moment to increase his ground's capacity to 50,000. Villa have been mentioned in the FA's outline plans to bring the World Cup to England but Sullivan is confident Blues can muscle in with their new facilities - as long as they get the go-ahead to build.

Sullivan also believes a new stadium is the answer to the club's pricing policy which has caused so much friction among fans.

"We want a 55,000-capacity stadium - then we can do deals that would fill it," he said. "We could do so much to help the working-class core support.

"I hope we'll have lots of £5 games so people will come. It's all a possibility."

Old February 19th, 2007, 02:49 PM   #1637
Juanl
ba doom tsh

Likes (Received): 8

All this talk about England's hosting of the 2018 event makes it seem as though it's a foregone conclusion that they've one the bid twelve years before the main event. All they need is a half decent bid from Spain or Italy, ignoring the events of recent weeks, and they'll be out six love. I for one would much rather spend a month in sunny Spain than dull England where the only culture lies in mushy peas!!!

And as for Australia's chances... Can anyone of you imagine watching football on a cricket field. I certainly can't.

I wouldn't doubt South Africa's ability to host a magnificent World Cup nor listen to the comments of our president. South Africa will be more than ready. A world cup, after all, isn't remembered for the stadia it was played in but for the people who played in them!

Football is renowned for being the beautiful game and it is the typical ignorance which regularly accompanies comments from yobs like *England* that makes me question the success of a football tournament held there.
Juanl no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2007, 02:59 PM   #1638
SimLim

Likes (Received):

Very true. In Britain it rains 30 days a month. The sun is blocked by a thick smog of cannabis smoke and the only food on offer is mushy peas due to bird flu, foot and mouth and mad cow disease.

Spain the country thats give us ... err

Seriously, drop the attitude. How bitter do you want to sound?

Old February 19th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #1639
SimLim

Likes (Received):

As for Australia's chance? well, at least they play football how it should be played ... standing up.

I suspect they will sell out every game aswell like the English. The likelyhood of Spain or Italy doing the same is very, very slim.

Old February 19th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #1640
Benjuk

Were Spain or Italy to bid against England, it would be a very interesting competition.

Italy, I think, would be out of the picture very soon (reputation has been tarnished by the match fixing scandles and crowd troubles in excess of anything in England over the last decade, plus they had the tournament in 1990)... But Spain vs England would be a good match up (as demonstrated elsewhere on the forums).

As for Australia - they're not ready yet in terms of stadia, but if and when they ever get to host the finals, they'll do a fantastic job. The people here are the kind who love to jump on a bandwagon and boast about seeing the 'soccer' world cup, etc. All they have to do is catch onto the need for 'rectangular' football stadiums, then find another city or two capable of supporting a large stadium, then build them.
Benjuk no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup