daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 20th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #1661
Q-TIP

Likes (Received): 2

That 'rule' has been around since 1994 USA world cup. Makes sense too. Why some megacities could just profit from hosting 3-4 venues.

Either way, I think Australia should concentrate on the 2022 bid.

Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #1662
Q-TIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggeorge View Post
by 2018 or whatever there will be a bigger increase for bigger stadiums and you know the usa could host a world cup in a few states, soooo
Not sure if that will be fair to most countries, if FIFA is interested in spreading the game to new economies, increasing the minimum capacity to say 50 000 will not make most host countries bid financially feasible. Latin american countries will suffer greatly, and lets not forget to respect which country has won the most titles? Surely, money-mad USA will be superceded by a new superpower China by 2018!
Old February 20th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #1663
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

I love your enthusiasum mate. Kudos for that. But seriously man, MLS top 3 leagues in the world??? LOL

P.S. Going by your logic, by 2018 or so, if every host country would to have to have 8 50,000+ seat stadia, that wouldn't leave too many eligible countries.

Last edited by Wezza; February 21st, 2007 at 10:47 AM.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #1664
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyBlue View Post
I've been told many times (mainly by Englishmen) that FIFA won't allow two stadiums in more than one city (eg. Melbourne & Sydney), but reading this thread it seems as thou the rules are different for England.

Is there any such rule and could someone please provide a link???
The guideline is actually along the lines of: 8 stadiums across 7 cities (as a minimum), once aditional cities are added to the bid, 2nd stadiums can be added to cites.

In other words:
Sydney (Aussie, Telstra)
Melbourne (MCG)
Brisbane (Suncorp)
Adelaide (new stadium)
Perth (new stadium)
Newcastle / Wollongong (new stadium)
Gold Coast / Townsville (new stadium)
Canberra/Hobart (new stadium)

THEN you can include - Melbourne (Dome)

Certainly possible, but can you imagine the Fed & State governments getting together to put adequate support behind a bid for the finals? Victoria can't even figure out what they need for their own 'little' football ground (planning a 20000 seater for a club averaging 31000) - God knows what it would be like if they had to build 5 of them!

Whereas, England can go...
London (Wembley, Emirates)
Manchester (Old Trafford)
Liverpool (Stanley Park)
Newcastle (St James)
Sunderand (Stadium of Light)
Birmingham (Villa Park)
Leeds (Elland Road - with minor modifications)
Sheffield (Hillsborough - with minor modifications)
THEN they can add Manchester (City of Manchester) to sweaten the bid, rather than to make up the numbers.

Last edited by Benjuk; February 20th, 2007 at 11:23 AM.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old February 20th, 2007, 12:40 PM   #1665
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk
Certainly possible, but can you imagine the Fed & State governments getting together to put adequate support behind a bid for the finals? Victoria can't even figure out what they need for their own 'little' football ground (planning a 20000 seater for a club averaging 31000) - God knows what it would be like if they had to build 5 of them!
Yes, the governments would all have to try and work together to make it work. But i'm sure if a bid does get put forward, we'd see some new stadia about the country.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old February 20th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #1666
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 359

After some thought lets all get behind England/Uk for 2018. They do deserve a World Cup as it has been years since the last. Plus they do have a decent list of stadiums currently available and would be even better by 2018.

Also no offence to any of you but it would shut up a few people who moan and groan about everyone else hosting but not them.

So if my vote counts England/Uk for 2018. Not that my vote means jack shit!
Calvin W no está en línea  
Old February 20th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #1667
Juanl
ba doom tsh

Likes (Received): 8

I value quality over quantity Mr."only six posts" And sorry if your limited knowledge of World cup bids has rendered you incapable of fathoming the fact that England were unable to progress further than the first round in there bid to host the 2006 world cup.
Juanl no está en línea  
Old February 20th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #1668
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin W View Post
After some thought lets all get behind England/Uk for 2018. They do deserve a World Cup as it has been years since the last. Plus they do have a decent list of stadiums currently available and would be even better by 2018.

Also no offence to any of you but it would shut up a few people who moan and groan about everyone else hosting but not them.

So if my vote counts England/Uk for 2018. Not that my vote means jack shit!
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #1669
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 28

OH NO!!

Quote:
U.S. to bid for 2018 World Cup

NEW YORK (AP) - The United States intends to bid for the 2018 World Cup, hoping to return soccer's quadrennial championship to the country that produced the highest attendance in the event's history.

''A lot of things make it attractive. In U.S. soccer many things have happened over the last couple of decades: the success in '94 is a great starting point and everything since then,'' U.S. Soccer Federation president Sunil Gulati said Tuesday.

''All of the reasons FIFA chose the U.S. in '94 have been validated: the growth of sport in the U.S. has been terrific since then; the number of potential venues in the U.S. has grown exponentially since then; world class stadiums; infrastructure; growth of the game; we're much more involved in the international soccer scene than 20 years ago.''

Gulati said the federation's board planned to discuss the idea with its members at its annual general meeting this weekend in Los Angeles, and form a committee to go forward.

''I think we can put on a spectacular event,'' Gulati said. ''Obviously it would be a big boost for the sport, as it is in any country that hosts the World Cup.''

FIFA chose the United States in 1988 to stage the 1994 World Cup, drawing rebuke from many who thought the country did not deserve the tournament because of its relative lack of history in the game and that it would be poorly attended.

However, the tournament drew a record 3.5 million for the 24-team, 52-game event, a mark that still stands despite the fact that the World Cup increased immediately after 1994 to a 32-team, 64-game competition.

The 2010 World Cup is scheduled for South Africa. Brazil and Colombia are interested in hosting the 2014 tournament, which is assured under a rotation policy of being in South America that year.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has said that if South America was not able to present a viable bid, the world body would look north.

''This is about 2018,'' Gulati said. ''Of course we'd be open to looking at 2014 if that were the case.''

Gulati also dismissed any notion of positioning the United States to replace South Africa, which many critics have said will not be ready to stage the event in three years.

''I firmly believe all systems are go for South Africa,'' he said. ''This has absolutely nothing to do with 2010. Our only concern for 2010 is that our team qualifies and does well when we get there.''
I was just wondering, would you all prefer USA for 2018 or Canada for 2018?

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:11 AM   #1670
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

If USA get the World Cup in 2018, i think UEFA should breakaway from FIFA because then u know for definate that FIFA is an organisation with major corruption.

THEY JUST HOSTED IT IN 1994!!! AND SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED.
Selfish if u ask me, and Canadian Chocho i would prefer England lol, but seriously out of the two options i'd say Canada
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:12 AM   #1671
SimLim

Likes (Received):

Im not bothered either way. I obviously prefer Canada, but either way the US are'nt going to get it and niether are Canada so ... its which ever one of your FA's want to waste money.

Juanl - maybe if you actually spoke properly with real words, there would'nt be a mis-understanding.

It seems only the British and Germans know about the words health and safety.

Quote:
Man Utd fans in Lens crush scare

Manchester United fans were involved in a security scare during the Champions League tie against Lille amid scares they were being crushed in the stands.

A problem erupted 15 minutes into the match at Lens' Stade Felix-Bollaert, with some fans being pushed against the 10-foot-high metal security fences.

Fans reacted angrily, prompting riot police to fire tear gas into the stand.

However, after two fans, one an elderly woman, were lifted over the barriers to safety, the unrest was quelled.

Television reports suggested the gates at the back of the stand had been opened by police to allow Red Devils supporters with tickets for the home section of the stadium to sit with their own fans.

United had expressed concerns about the basic facilities at the ground before the match.

The club was surprised Lille were allowed to move the game to the compact 42,000 stadium in northern France rather than a larger, more modern venue like the Stade de France.

Manchester United secretary Ken Ramsden revealed the club would meet with Uefa and Football Association officials after the game to discuss the incident.

Old February 21st, 2007, 12:12 AM   #1672
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

Both countries should bid against Brazil for the 2014 World Cup. It's not like the USA lacks stadia, so it may as well grab the tournament asap. 2018 is surely a European year, so we might see USA bid against Australia for the 2022 (crikey that's ages away) World Cup.
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:46 AM   #1673
Benjuk

If USA bid for 2018 they will be fighting FIFA's wish to keep the tournament moving - at the Finals level FIFA considers North and South America to be 'The Americas', and as 'The Americas' have already been selected as hosts of 2014...

As to whether I'd prefer the USA or Canada as hosts - I've never been to Canada, so I'll say I'd prefer them to get it. I honestly believe 2018 will be England - but 2022 will be a huge scrap, with Asia, Africa and the Americas all wanting it back.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2007, 01:38 AM   #1674
nyrmetros

Likes (Received): 19

USA bid.......... here's a list floating around.....

Zone 1, groups A, B
Northeast: New York (New Giants Stadium 75k), Boston (Foxboro 68k), Philadelpia (Lincoln 68k) (no d.c. due to width issue, though were it the right size Fedex would be a shoe in)

Zone 2, groups C, D
Midwest: Chicago (New Soldier Field, 61k), Kansas City (Arrowhead 79k), St. Louis (EJ Dome 66k) (poss. swap for Ford Field in Detroit here)

Zone 3, groups E, F
South: Dallas (New Cowboy Stadium, 80k), Houston (Reliant 70k), New Orleans (Superdome 72k) (there are some other options here too, incl. a number of SEC/big 12 college stadiums, the alamo dome, etc)

Zone 4, groups G, H
West: Phoenix (UofP- 72k (expanded)), Los Angeles (Rose Bowl, 90k+), San Diego (New NFL Stadium, (plans only at current), 75k)
nyrmetros no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2007, 01:38 AM   #1675
nyrmetros

Does anyone know the AMtrak connections to each of these cities? Obviously the northeast is covered with Amtrak Acella.
Old February 21st, 2007, 01:49 AM   #1676
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

The problem i get with a US bid is that the world cup wud never engulf a country like that, its not a proper celebration of football, like you would see in places like Germany and England where everything(literally) is aimed at the tournament and the whole country is invloved. even in KoreaJapan they went mad for the tournament, u neva got that feeling about USA 94, it was like the average american couldnt give a toss.
Old February 21st, 2007, 01:56 AM   #1677
carlspannoosh

Likes (Received): 744

I reckon The 2018 World Cup will probably be played in virtual reality or maybe even on another planet .
carlspannoosh no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2007, 02:08 AM   #1678
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2715

After sseing so many new projects in Spain
Nou Camp 98,000
Bernabeu 80,000
Valencia 75,000
Sevilla 65,000
Sevilla II 65,000
Madrid II 57,000
Bilbao 50,000-55,000
San.Sebastián 43,000
Zaragoza 42,000
Barcelona II 41,000

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2007, 02:36 AM   #1679
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd View Post
The problem i get with a US bid is that the world cup wud never engulf a country like that, its not a proper celebration of football, like you would see in places like Germany and England where everything(literally) is aimed at the tournament and the whole country is invloved. even in KoreaJapan they went mad for the tournament, u neva got that feeling about USA 94, it was like the average american couldnt give a toss.
True then, but times have changed. I know me telling you that doesn't mean much..... but it has. You would not beleive the reception the FIFA WC would get in this country in 2018......

Yes we had senators trying to derail USA '94 because soccer was a communist sport..... but times have changed in this country in terms of soccer support. We have actual soccer fans, an actual league, actual soccer stadiums, and a media that sent a record number of reporters to Germany.

Sure, England would probably pull off the mother of all modern WC's..... not arguing that.... But USA 2018 would be right up there....
Old February 21st, 2007, 03:07 AM   #1680
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
True then, but times have changed. I know me telling you that doesn't mean much..... but it has. You would not beleive the reception the FIFA WC would get in this country in 2018......

Yes we had senators trying to derail USA '94 because soccer was a communist sport..... but times have changed in this country in terms of soccer support. We have actual soccer fans, an actual league, actual soccer stadiums, and a media that sent a record number of reporters to Germany.

Sure, England would probably pull off the mother of all modern WC's..... not arguing that.... But USA 2018 would be right up there....
Good post, i thought some1 would just go off on 1.

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup