daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 21st, 2007, 04:54 AM   #1681
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

I think it's safe to say, the reason USA '94 had the highest attendance numbers, because it had very large stadia across all venues. The WC could probably be hosted on the moon with those same size stadiums & still get the same attendance numbers.

That's not taking away anything from the '94 tournament drew though. I just think it could draw the same amount of people just about anywhere if the capacity is there.

Last edited by Wezza; February 21st, 2007 at 05:04 AM.
Wezza no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:43 AM   #1682
london lad

Likes (Received): 2251

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggeorge View Post
optimistic that must be it, go to ebay type in la galaxy beckham, tickets are being sold for over 1000$, go to the bmo field on this forum and look at how many season ticket holders there are..ya im optimistic, business and the running of business is what north americans do best, you will see the best players will come the north america, watch and see, mls within the next 10 years will be in the top 3 leagues in the world, go look at toronto fc's roster there is some quality players there and as the league grows the cap will be higher and higher each year allowing players to make more then more players will come, players go to the money, ie figo, quatar, delgado quatar, batistuta quatar, rivaldo oly, for the most part the players want money and they will get it in the usa, as for a world cup bid could austrailia support 8, 50 000 seat plus stadiums because by 2018 or whatever there will be a bigger increase for bigger stadiums and you know the usa could host a world cup in a few states, soooo
Or could it be US Soccer is so starved of stars that they will pay good money to see a player well past its prime. Sorry but I think many wont share your optimism- since US94 & the formation of the MLS afterwards , quite a few years now how come the MLS has hardly grown & is still very much a minor league or world terms?? Isn't the Mexican league the most successful in North America.
london lad no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2007, 01:11 PM   #1683
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

In fairness, the Americans tried the 'big bang' start to their league in the 70s, it didn't work, so they came back by building slowly.
Attendances at MLS may not be spectacular, but they are building steadily - never stadiums are being built (and often filled), and the game WILL continue to grow over there, because as most of us know - it's the greatest sport on Earth.

Whether it will ever challenge the established sports is unlikely, but there's a lot of room for it to garner a healthy following. By 2022 I would think it would be capable of hosting a World Cup Finals entirely within dedicated 'soccer' stadiums - a prospect which would definately interest FIFA, and challenge any bid from China, Australia, etc.

Niceness out of the way, whilst I understand the financial gains to be made by importing the likes of David Beckham, I do hope they don't believe that it's going to raise the standard of their game to world class levels. I hear that Harry Kewell may be the next 'big name' (read, 'burn out') set for the MLS - if so, they better make sure that whoever he signs for has a top notch medical department and a very comfy physiotherapy table.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2007, 01:17 PM   #1684
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
I think it's safe to say, the reason USA '94 had the highest attendance numbers, because it had very large stadia across all venues. The WC could probably be hosted on the moon with those same size stadiums & still get the same attendance numbers.

That's not taking away anything from the '94 tournament drew though. I just think it could draw the same amount of people just about anywhere if the capacity is there.
Not forgetting that one of my best mates was working for an advertising agency in LA on the day of the World Cup Final, and was given 20 tickets to 'get rid of' - and couldn't find anyone who was willing to give up their afternoon in return for a FREE ticket to the final. He ended up attending the game with his boss and 18 tickets in his pocket!
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2007, 01:31 PM   #1685
dunwyn

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
I love your enthusiasum mate. Kudos for that. But seriously man, MLS top 3 leagues in the world??? LOL

P.S. Going by your logic, by 2018 or so, if every host country would to have to have 8 50,000+ seat stadia, that wouldn't leave too many eligible countries.
During the last WC in Germany it was evident that the organisers could have sold multiple times more tickets if the stadiums were bigger. In the future could we see temporary stadiums supplimenting the current stadiums? Stadiums that could hold 100,000 but would be demolished later.
dunwyn no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2007, 03:47 PM   #1686
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunwyn View Post
During the last WC in Germany it was evident that the organisers could have sold multiple times more tickets if the stadiums were bigger. In the future could we see temporary stadiums supplimenting the current stadiums? Stadiums that could hold 100,000 but would be demolished later.
FIFA are keen on the World Cup 'legacy', a finals tournament leaving magnificent stadia behind to continue to serve the football community. I seem to remember some fuss about demolitions or lack of use of stadiums in Japan/Korea (not sure, someone here will know the full story though).

I would think that temp stadiums would cease to be costworthy if they were required to come up to the standards FIFA requires - which would pretty much kill them off.

I can't see the logic in building a 100k seater for 50 million, using it for 4 or 5 games, then tearing it down again - but then again, they're doing something similar for the Olympics in London, so who knows!
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:07 PM   #1687
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by *England* View Post
i know what your saying jack and they wouldn't of been included, im not cussing their country for the fun of it or to be nasty im just stating facts, and i think this is when a country like australia deserved it, but no, fifa would rather australia win or lose to a period when its due back to europe.

my only problem is the african government say they dont have a problem, and if their attitudes dont change come 2010 then it will be people like you saying how the hell did the wc end up there, seems to me you all think its ok as long as the fans will be ok, and thats just wrong.

all its doing is helping England win the 2018 bid because after africa and brazil they will need England to make up the lost revenue.

NEWS
Spending boost for safety and security
Cape Town, South Africa
21 February 2007 03:07
The safety and security budget is set to increase to R43,6-billion by 2010.

According to the 2007 estimates of national expenditure, tabled by Finance Minister Trevor Manuel in Parliament on Wednesday, by that year there will be 190 000 police officers patrolling South Africa's streets.

The document shows safety and security spending rising from R35,9-billion in 2007/08, to almost R43,6-billion in 2009/10. The 2006/07 safety and security budget was R32,5-billion.

"In this year's budget [2007/08], we are allocating an extra R2,4-billion to the police to further expand police numbers and invest in technology and forensic equipment," Manuel told MPs in the National Assembly.

The 2007/08 budget also catered for an improvement in police salaries.

To improve court capacity, reduce case backlogs and modernise the administration of justice, the Department of Justice's budget has been increased to R8,5-billion.

The Correctional Services Department was allocated R10,7-billion in 2007/08, a R1,5-billion increase over the previous year.

Manuel said that while the government recognises the seriousness of crime, law enforcement agencies will not halt criminals if they do not get support from communities.

"Effective crime fighting depends on partnerships between our law enforcement agencies and communities.

"Through community police forums, all citizens have the opportunity to contribute towards making their communities safer," he said. -- Sapa
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:11 AM   #1688
Wezza
©

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
Not forgetting that one of my best mates was working for an advertising agency in LA on the day of the World Cup Final, and was given 20 tickets to 'get rid of' - and couldn't find anyone who was willing to give up their afternoon in return for a FREE ticket to the final. He ended up attending the game with his boss and 18 tickets in his pocket!
Serious?? That's madness!!
Wezza no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:16 AM   #1689
Wezza
©

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
Niceness out of the way, whilst I understand the financial gains to be made by importing the likes of David Beckham, I do hope they don't believe that it's going to raise the standard of their game to world class levels. I hear that Harry Kewell may be the next 'big name' (read, 'burn out') set for the MLS - if so, they better make sure that whoever he signs for has a top notch medical department and a very comfy physiotherapy table.
Noooo, Harry!! Don't you dare go to MLS!!!...... He's better than that. I hope this time when he comes back from injury, he can stay healthy.

dunwyn: You're right, they could've sold more tickets had they been available. Just ask the aussie fans!!!
Wezza no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:29 AM   #1690
Benjuk

Quote:
Noooo, Harry!! Don't you dare go to MLS!!!...... He's better than that. I hope this time when he comes back from injury, he can stay healthy.
No, he's finished. Four years of more or less constant injuries, one after the other, he'll never be the player he used to be - and if he wants to earn big money (which seems to be his desire), a move to the US is the only realistic shot he has.

Quote:
dunwyn: You're right, they could've sold more tickets had they been available. Just ask the aussie fans!!!
A Spanish fan offered me 500 euros for my ticket to Spain vs Saudi, when I said no, he said, "Name your price"... All of the 'major' footballing nations were heavilly represented in Germany. It might be different in the US, China, Australia, South America, etc., as not as many Europeans would travel. Polish, Croatians, etc., whilst short on cash, could easilly jump in the car and drive up to Germany, watch the match, then drive home - to the extent that we watched Germany vs Poland with a few thousand Polish fans who had driven over the border to watch the game on the big screen in Nurenberg (despite the game taking place on the other side of the country).
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:59 AM   #1691
Wezza
©

He won't go to the USA. Mark my words. If he gets transfered, Tottenham look likely.

Anyways....I'm going off topic.

You're right, there might not be as many travelling fans in a country like Australia, USA etc. I would think by now, WC tickets would all still sellout no problems. Take Sydney Olympics for example, they didn't have too much trouble selling out most events there.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:33 AM   #1692
Benjuk

Quote:
Serious?? That's madness!!
True story. Of course, it might have been different had he ventured to one of the more hispanic areas of LA (where football is king) - but he was trying to give them away in one of the business districts and then outside the ground. World Cup fever obviously hadn't spread to the point that guys were rocking up to the venue without tickets in the hopes of finding a chubby cockney with free tickets.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 08:34 AM   #1693
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

The US is a different country today as far as soccer goes and immigrant population. Would be a different WC.
rantanamo no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:58 PM   #1694
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
USA bid.......... here's a list floating around.....

-Zone 1, groups A, B
Northeast: New York (New Giants Stadium 75k), Boston (Foxboro 68k), Philadelpia (Lincoln 68k) (no d.c. due to width issue, though were it the right size Fedex would be a shoe in)
-Zone 2, groups C, D
Midwest: Chicago (New Soldier Field, 61k), Kansas City (Arrowhead 79k), St. Louis (EJ Dome 66k) (poss. swap for Ford Field in Detroit here)
-Zone 3, groups E, F
South: Dallas (New Cowboy Stadium, 80k), Houston (Reliant 70k), New Orleans (Superdome 72k) (there are some other options here too, incl. a number of SEC/big 12 college stadiums, the alamo dome, etc)
-Zone 4, groups G, H
West: Phoenix (UofP- 72k (expanded)), Los Angeles (Rose Bowl, 90k+), San Diego (New NFL Stadium, (plans only at current), 75k)

Can't say I would agree with your choices. Kansas City while a great AF stadium I am not sure is the right market or venue for a WC match. And any domes I think would be a non-starter with maybe a few exceptions. I also don't see how one can leave out important metro's like San Fran.

I would go

Zone 1 -
- Gillette Stadium (Boston)
- NY Giants Stad.(NYC)
- FedEx Field (Wash DC. they have held soccer there before so I don't see why not),
- Lincoln Fin.Field (Philly)

Zone 2
- Dolphin Stadin (Miami) soon to be rehabbed
- Reliant Stad. (Houston)
- new Cowboy stad. (Dallas)
- Invesco Field (Denver)

Zone 3
- Soldier Field II (Chicago)
- Paul Brown Stadium (Cinncy) or Heinz Field (Pittsburgh)
- Ford Field (Detroit) yes, a dome, but hosted in 94 and lets in natural light)
- Lucas Oil Stadium (Indy)
(If the NFL Vikings get a new stadium I would likely replace Minneapolis for one of the last three)

Zone 4
- Qwest Field (Seattle)
- New San Fran 49ers stad. (San Fran) in the works.
- New SoCal NFL stadium (LA or S.D) likely either rehabbed Rose Bowl or LA Col.)
- University of Phoenix Stadium (Phoenix)
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 02:05 PM   #1695
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
He won't go to the USA. Mark my words. If he gets transfered, Tottenham look likely.

Anyways....I'm going off topic.

You're right, there might not be as many travelling fans in a country like Australia, USA etc. I would think by now, WC tickets would all still sellout no problems. Take Sydney Olympics for example, they didn't have too much trouble selling out most events there.
The Brits and the English tend to be the most represented, fan wise at most international events.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 03:22 PM   #1696
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Likes (Received): 126

Is it safe to say that more people will come to Australia, USA then to places like China, Arab countries??
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:10 PM   #1697
nyrmetros

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Can't say I would agree with your choices. Kansas City while a great AF stadium I am not sure is the right market or venue for a WC match. And any domes I think would be a non-starter with maybe a few exceptions. I also don't see how one can leave out important metro's like San Fran.
KC has to be considered because of the Legacy of Lamar Hunt and his contribution to US soccer over the past 40 years. Without Lamar Hunt, there is no MLS, there is no significant national team, and we are not discussing hosting 2018. Plus the stadium in KC is undergoing major upgrades the next few years.

FIFA no longer has problems with domed stadiums. There was 1 in Germany.

You could substitute San Diego with San francisco if you like.

FedEx Field in DC has held soccer games there, however it has been mentioned that if a FIFA sanctioned mens event were to be held, the field would have to be widened. FIFA obviously didn't care about the women playing a WC game there. Wideneing the field there might involve ripping out portion of the lower stands. Not happening.

And the one thing you forgot to take into account is fan travel. The US is bloody massive compared to other countries that have hosted, and our rail network is lacking. Flying is expensive. Therefore you have to take into account that not every great city with a great stadium will get a game solely based on logitstics.

Check out the Amtrak routes for the cities and stadiums I listed, as opposed to your list. This is not a criticism on your list, but rather it's what FIFA told us after WC '94 if we were to ever host the tournament again.

In addition the magic number for hosting cities appears to be around 12.

Last edited by nyrmetros; February 22nd, 2007 at 05:18 PM.
nyrmetros no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:21 PM   #1698
nyrmetros

Likes (Received): 19

Here is the Amtrak map

http://virtualatdp.berkeley.edu/lrn/.../amtrakMap.gif

nyrmetros no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:23 PM   #1699
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Zone 1 -
- Gillette Stadium (Boston)
- NY Giants Stad.(NYC)
- FedEx Field (Wash DC. they have held soccer there before so I don't see why not),
- Lincoln Fin.Field (Philly)

Zone 2
- Dolphin Stadin (Miami) soon to be rehabbed
- Reliant Stad. (Houston)
- new Cowboy stad. (Dallas)
- Invesco Field (Denver)

Zone 3
- Soldier Field II (Chicago)
- Paul Brown Stadium (Cinncy) or Heinz Field (Pittsburgh)
- Ford Field (Detroit) yes, a dome, but hosted in 94 and lets in natural light)
- Lucas Oil Stadium (Indy)
(If the NFL Vikings get a new stadium I would likely replace Minneapolis for one of the last three)

Zone 4
- Qwest Field (Seattle)
- New San Fran 49ers stad. (San Fran) in the works.
- New SoCal NFL stadium (LA or S.D) likely either rehabbed Rose Bowl or LA Col.)
- University of Phoenix Stadium (Phoenix)
That's a very impressive list, with quite new stadiums and vast capacities.

My personal favourites are Invesco field, Qwest field, University of Phoenix Stadium and Reliant stadium.
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:05 PM   #1700
KiwiBrit
There's only one United

Likes (Received): 12

Yep!
KiwiBrit no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup