daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old February 26th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #1721
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...
 
Its AlL gUUd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London
Posts: 6,017
Likes (Received): 296

Err no i dont thinks so, austrailia is not ready to step in for 2010 it isn't ready by miles!
__________________
I T S Y
Its AlL gUUd no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #1722
Mo Rush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28,964
Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maciek View Post
No chance... if it was to be moved from RSA then australia will get it no doubt, but it wouldnt matter because they wont move it full stop
hahaha.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 12:27 AM   #1723
Benjuk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 920
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maciek View Post
No chance... if it was to be moved from RSA then australia will get it no doubt, but it wouldnt matter because they wont move it full stop


Here we go again.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 12:34 AM   #1724
Benjuk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 920
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juddy View Post
Remember, we are not getting anything until 2022.
Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Brisvegas would look after themselves no worries.
Adelaide is an ideal location due to the fact their basically a train ride away from Melbourne and you can also say to Sydney as well.
Hobart should be able to get the scapes from Melbourne and Adelaide (i mean crowds can get to Hobart easily).
Gold Coast should have a pretty decent stadium in 15 years with the Titans and AFL team their. And that place is going gang-busters in growth and tourists right now.
Which leaves a smaller town such as Wollongong, Newcastle, Central Coast team. Hopefully the NRL can sustain its growth and a bigger stadium is built in any of these locations. Im sure these places will be prepared for the tourist onslaught in 15 years time.

So i dont see Australia having a problem in having a mass influx of tourists. Im just more worried about the stadiums (That MCG pic just proves the point). But we are Australia after-all and we will sort our shit out.

Hope so.

I was having a look around on Google Earth last night, and it occured to me that whilst Newcastle's ground can be extended, they'd do better to build a new one near the docks/rail yard. There's a huge area there which appears derelict - they could build a big station right next to it to service trains from Sydney and Brisbane.

Adelaide would need a new stadium, Hindmarch can't be extended as it's boxed in. As I suggested elsewhere, they could redevelop Santos (Athlectics) Stadium into a 50k stadium with a sunken tier of seating and pitch, then after the finals 'fill in' the whole and lay the athletics track over that - leaving them with a 35k athletics/football stadium.

Your gaff in Perth would be the killer for transport though. They'd have to be a venue, but you are so remote from the rest of the country. I can imagine building one football stadium, but where would you put the other to get around the 'one stadium per city' rule? The solution I suspect (and a killer for Melbournites and Sydneysiders, which has to be a good thing) would be to make Perth the two stadium city and cave on the 'no AFL venues' idea, let them use the new soccer stadium AND the new AFL stadium.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #1725
nyrmetros
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,274
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
Lets say the USA holds a World Cup in 2022 or 2026, do you think as the current case is today, or any recent trends, that it would be of more interest to Americans than in 1994?
The WC could be held tomorrow in the USA and it would just smash all previous records for everything.... It is a relevant event now in Amerika.
nyrmetros no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 01:31 AM   #1726
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...
 
Its AlL gUUd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London
Posts: 6,017
Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
The WC could be held tomorrow in the USA and it would just smash all previous records for everything.... It is a relevant event now in Amerika.
still it feels like some manufactured tournament where everything is about money when it is staged in the USA. i'd rather not have another 'Coca Cola World Cup' so soon, although i agree it is the only country which can host the world cup on short notice(apart from recent hosts ofcourse).
__________________
I T S Y
Its AlL gUUd no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 01:38 AM   #1727
>Sanchez<
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maastricht
Posts: 199
Likes (Received): 0

I hope either Spain or England get it. Hopefully not Australia or China.
>Sanchez< no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #1728
nyrmetros
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,274
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd View Post
still it feels like some manufactured tournament where everything is about money when it is staged in the USA. i'd rather not have another 'Coca Cola World Cup' so soon, although i agree it is the only country which can host the world cup on short notice(apart from recent hosts ofcourse).
Every sporting event in Amerika feels manufactured because of all the sponsor money involved. Honestly, the only 2 major championships that still feel pure are the Stanley Cup, and MLS Cup.

Last edited by nyrmetros; February 27th, 2007 at 04:58 PM.
nyrmetros no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #1729
Benjuk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 920
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd View Post
still it feels like some manufactured tournament where everything is about money when it is staged in the USA. i'd rather not have another 'Coca Cola World Cup' so soon, although i agree it is the only country which can host the world cup on short notice(apart from recent hosts ofcourse).
I have to say, over in Germany last year I could have sworn I was at the Budweiser-Emirates-Mastercard-FIFA World Cup Finals. Everything was stamped with those brands.


With regard to a US bid, the staggering number of stadiums available make me think that FIFA should, for one tournament only, double to number of teams taking part in the finals. It would 'only' require one extra knock-out round to be played. It really would be a World Cup if you have 64 teams rather than 32, and would give football it's best chance to simply explode all over America.

I've no doubt that the next time the US gets the finals they will do an excellent job, and it will be more of a success than last time - I just believe, at the moment, that there are some countries that can do a good job hosting and have waited longer than since 1984 to get it (back).
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #1730
Lancer17
BANNED
 
Lancer17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico
Posts: 105
Likes (Received): 1

Mexico has the worst stadiums... im so embarrased, because the other stadiums has very perfects stadiums.
Lancer17 no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:03 AM   #1731
Wezza
©
 
Wezza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Townsville
Posts: 8,861
Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juddy View Post
Remember, we are not getting anything until 2022.
Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Brisvegas would look after themselves no worries.
Adelaide is an ideal location due to the fact their basically a train ride away from Melbourne and you can also say to Sydney as well.
Hobart should be able to get the scapes from Melbourne and Adelaide (i mean crowds can get to Hobart easily).
Gold Coast should have a pretty decent stadium in 15 years with the Titans and AFL team their. And that place is going gang-busters in growth and tourists right now.
Which leaves a smaller town such as Wollongong, Newcastle, Central Coast team. Hopefully the NRL can sustain its growth and a bigger stadium is built in any of these locations. Im sure these places will be prepared for the tourist onslaught in 15 years time.

So i dont see Australia having a problem in having a mass influx of tourists. Im just more worried about the stadiums (That MCG pic just proves the point). But we are Australia after-all and we will sort our shit out.
You forgot North Queensland. I'm sure Townsville would be in the bid. The city is already bigger than Kaiserslauten, which hosted matches in Germany.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 08:08 AM   #1732
Benjuk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 920
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
You forgot North Queensland. I'm sure Townsville would be in the bid. The city is already bigger than Kaiserslauten, which hosted matches in Germany.
No disrespect Wezza - there's a double edged sword with Townsville. FIFA like to have the bid spread as widely around the country as possible, but they also like excellent mass travel ability. I can imagine it would be a nightmare to try and get 25-30k fans from Sydney to Townsville, and accomodate them overnight. I had a look at Dairy Farmer's on Google Earth last night, and one positive thing is that there's certainly enough room to expand/totally rebuild the stadium on it's present site.

Kaiserslautern, whilst relatively small, is quite close to a number of cities with good communications links and accomodation. On the other hand, it was the least impressive of the venues I went to.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 08:11 AM   #1733
Benjuk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 920
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer17 View Post
Mexico has the worst stadiums... im so embarrased, because the other stadiums has very perfects stadiums.
You've had two world cups, don't be embarrassed. I'm sure that if an opportunity came along to host the finals, Mexico would spring up 8 or 9 top notch and f*cking huge venues very quickly - just look at how quick Venezuela have updated their facilities!
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #1734
hngcm
Registered User
 
hngcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,644
Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer17 View Post
Mexico has the worst stadiums... im so embarrased, because the other stadiums has very perfects stadiums.
The infrastructure is there, Mexico wouldn't need to build new stadiums, just update many stadiums.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #1735
Wezza
©
 
Wezza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Townsville
Posts: 8,861
Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
No disrespect Wezza - there's a double edged sword with Townsville. FIFA like to have the bid spread as widely around the country as possible, but they also like excellent mass travel ability. I can imagine it would be a nightmare to try and get 25-30k fans from Sydney to Townsville, and accomodate them overnight. I had a look at Dairy Farmer's on Google Earth last night, and one positive thing is that there's certainly enough room to expand/totally rebuild the stadium on it's present site.

Kaiserslautern, whilst relatively small, is quite close to a number of cities with good communications links and accomodation. On the other hand, it was the least impressive of the venues I went to.
I do realise this, i was only using it as an example. Of course, we need to remember that if we do get the nod to host the WC, it would be more than likely 2022 rather than 2018. That's 15 years down the track, infrastructure will be improved by then. I believe there will be more airlines flying, Townsville is also well placed to receive passengers by rail etc.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #1736
Benjuk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 920
Likes (Received): 2

I reckon Australia's capability to host the 2022 finals will be sealed one way or the other in 2010 - when they expand the A-League. If they don't add at least four new franchises then I'd say it's over before it begins.

If Canberra, Hobart, Townsville and Wollongong all join, then there will be a need for improved stadiums, and if they are going to do it then, they may as well do it 'right' and build stadiums either at 40k, or easily extendable to that size.

As may be obvious, I'm now getting more than a little obsessed by the potential for 2022. I've got Google Earth shots of all the potential host cities, I've picked out (currently) available sites for new stadiums, and cheapish stadium construction concepts - at this rate I'll be able to do the bid for the FFA!
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #1737
Wezza
©
 
Wezza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Townsville
Posts: 8,861
Likes (Received): 968

The Townsville A-League bid is well advanced. I'd go as far as saying that they will definitely be in the league before 2010. Maybe as early as next year, depending on whether the NZ franchise manages to see the light of day or not. As discussed before, the Stadium in Townsville would be easily expanded/upgraded.

Canberra is also well placed for an A-League team, the stadium would also be an easy expansion.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #1738
Benjuk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 920
Likes (Received): 2

So, by my reckoning - it's...

Sydney
Newcastle
Wollongong
Melbourne
Perth (x2)
Brisbane
Townsville
Hobart
Canberra
Adelaide

That's 11 'venues' - of which 9 would have to be built/extended at fairly high cost (even for a basic stadium).

If they are going to have to build so many, it might be an idea to twist the 2 venues per city rule by building something in Geelong too (otherwise Victoria has one stadium to NSW's 3). Geelong would be an easy trip by car or train for anyone in Melbourne AND has it's own local airport at Avalon.

Having tossed 2 or 3 $b at building that lot, they may as well build a couple of smaller stadiums in Darwin and Alice, just to keep the NT happy - and stage some pre-finals friendlies/warm ups there - to convince FIFA that the whole country is involved!!
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old February 28th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #1739
invincible
Lurker
 
invincible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,804
Likes (Received): 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
Damn, you can't even see the ball from up there.
The view is better when viewed with a human eye rather than through a wide-angle lens.

The back row is quite far up, but people manage to watch cricket from up there.
invincible no está en línea  
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:07 AM   #1740
Wezza
©
 
Wezza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Townsville
Posts: 8,861
Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
So, by my reckoning - it's...

Sydney
Newcastle
Wollongong
Melbourne
Perth (x2)
Brisbane
Townsville
Hobart
Canberra
Adelaide

That's 11 'venues' - of which 9 would have to be built/extended at fairly high cost (even for a basic stadium).

If they are going to have to build so many, it might be an idea to twist the 2 venues per city rule by building something in Geelong too (otherwise Victoria has one stadium to NSW's 3). Geelong would be an easy trip by car or train for anyone in Melbourne AND has it's own local airport at Avalon.

Having tossed 2 or 3 $b at building that lot, they may as well build a couple of smaller stadiums in Darwin and Alice, just to keep the NT happy - and stage some pre-finals friendlies/warm ups there - to convince FIFA that the whole country is involved!!
Geelong is considered a seperate city to Melbourne, so i don't see a problem with having a stadium there? Not sure about Perth having 2 stadiums though? They can't even get their arse into gear & build 1, let alone 2! lol
Wezza no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu