daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 28th, 2007, 12:22 PM   #1741
||-GOB-||
I've made a huge mistake.

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
Geelong is considered a seperate city to Melbourne, so i don't see a problem with having a stadium there? Not sure about Perth having 2 stadiums though? They can't even get their arse into gear & build 1, let alone 2! lol
A ~40,000 seat rectangular stadium in Geelong would be a white elephant surely.

And Benjuk, if there was a WC I'd bet the house that the GC would host a few games, especially if you're going to include Townsville, Wollongong and Hobart.
||-GOB-|| no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #1742
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Geelong is considered a seperate city to Melbourne, so i don't see a problem with having a stadium there? Not sure about Perth having 2 stadiums though? They can't even get their arse into gear & build 1, let alone 2! lol
I suggested Geelong as a way of having a second stadium 'close' to Melbourne, rather than on the grounds that Geelong have any need for it.

As for Perth - agreed. But a lot of arses are going to have to get in gear if Australia wants to host in 2022, if they are serious about 2018 they REALLY need to shift up a bit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ||-GOB-|| View Post
A ~40,000 seat rectangular stadium in Geelong would be a white elephant surely.
True. But I think that's true of just about any venue outside of Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane at the moment.

Quote:
And Benjuk, if there was a WC I'd bet the house that the GC would host a few games, especially if you're going to include Townsville, Wollongong and Hobart.
Agreed on Gold Coast - except for the need to spread the tournament locations - if Brisbane and Townsville were in, it would make three venues in QLD. I'm dubious about Sydney, Wollongong AND Newcastle all getting in as well. The other problem is, Gold Coast is currently building a new 30k stadium which has no facility to be expanded to 40k - for them to get a 40k stadium AS WELL as the 30k seems a little over the top. This is why I've suggested that the FFA and State Governments should be encouraging 40k stadiums NOW if they want to host 2018/2022 later.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #1743
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
No matter what, were gonna build 2. Its been said so by 99% of the WA population who know a thing or two.

Its kinda obvious that the WA governemnt is friggen slow. Your top 3 Sporting teams have membership lists from 35-45000 people, but the biggest stadium holds 43000. And no render or anything close to starting yet. Go Figure.
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #1744
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
I suggested Geelong as a way of having a second stadium 'close' to Melbourne, rather than on the grounds that Geelong have any need for it.
Would we develop the cats ground or build something from scracth? Oh and the airport is not an airport, rather a shed with big parking spots for plans. So major redevelopments of the airport is needed (persuming not everyone is going to drive or train it down, rather fly in directly from perth, adelaide,etc).

Quote:
As for Perth - agreed. But a lot of arses are going to have to get in gear if Australia wants to host in 2022, if they are serious about 2018 they REALLY need to shift up a bit!
We'll have the newest stadium by the time the WC comes around. Just sadly half the current Eagles and Dockers players would be retired by then.

Quote:
True. But I think that's true of just about any venue outside of Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane at the moment.
Western Force arent doing too bad.

Quote:
Agreed on Gold Coast - except for the need to spread the tournament locations - if Brisbane and Townsville were in, it would make three venues in QLD. I'm dubious about Sydney, Wollongong AND Newcastle all getting in as well. The other problem is, Gold Coast is currently building a new 30k stadium which has no facility to be expanded to 40k - for them to get a 40k stadium AS WELL as the 30k seems a little over the top. This is why I've suggested that the FFA and State Governments should be encouraging 40k stadiums NOW if they want to host 2018/2022 later.
We have to remember that the Criket WC will be on in 15 (another reason to rule us out of the 18 bid, as we can not and will not develop the stadiums to Fifas needs). Although its going to be a shared event with the mob next door, grounds like the MCG, telstra, new Perth stadium, will be circular until then. What happens after that is another story.

Mate, i love your work and hopefully we get some serious news in the near future.
Old February 28th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #1745
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
I'm not sure that there is no facility to be expanded? I actually think this stadium is being built so it is capable of expansion TBH.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old February 28th, 2007, 02:59 PM   #1746
||-GOB-||

Quote:
I'm not sure that there is no facility to be expanded? I actually think this stadium is being built so it is capable of expansion TBH.
Yeah, in the Skilled Park thread I think there was a general consensus that it wouldn't be a hassle to expand it to ~40,000.
Old February 28th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #1747
Benjuk

Quote:
Yeah, in the Skilled Park thread I think there was a general consensus that it wouldn't be a hassle to expand it to ~40,000.
Looking at the renders it looks pretty boxed in on all sides. It it's expandable though, great - it'll help any bid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juddy View Post
Would we develop the cats ground or build something from scracth? Oh and the airport is not an airport, rather a shed with big parking spots for plans. So major redevelopments of the airport is needed (persuming not everyone is going to drive or train it down, rather fly in directly from perth, adelaide,etc).

We have to remember that the Criket WC will be on in 15 (another reason to rule us out of the 18 bid, as we can not and will not develop the stadiums to Fifas needs). Although its going to be a shared event with the mob next door, grounds like the MCG, telstra, new Perth stadium, will be circular until then. What happens after that is another story.
I'd say that the 2015 Cricket WC is irrelevent. The FIFA bid should stand on it's own two feet - with rectangular stadiums rather than jerry-rigged ovals. Best of all facilities, etc.

For the same reason, I'd advocate building a new stadium for Geelong rather than messing around with Skilled Stadium.

If you love my work, how about this...

Canberra Stadium (formerly Bruce Stadium)

To... Gwangju Stadium. I think it would work.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old February 28th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #1748
||-GOB-||

Quote:
Looking at the renders it looks pretty boxed in on all sides. It it's expandable though, great - it'll help any bid.
I don't know what renders you've seen but here's an actual shot of the construction site. There'll be plenty of room if they need to expand.

This pic is from late last year (they've got the stands up now) but there aren't any newer aerial shots to show.
Old February 28th, 2007, 06:53 PM   #1749
nyrmetros

Likes (Received): 19

Sepp Blatter wants USA for 2018

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slu...=afp&type=lgns
nyrmetros no está en línea  
Old February 28th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #1750
Martuh
×××

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
BS.

Quote:
In comments that cast doubt on England and Australia's chances of winning the 2018 finals, Blatter said he wanted to extend the current system under which the World Cup is rotated between Africa, Asia, Europe, North, Central America and the Caribbean, and South America beyond 2014.
This is what Blatter said

Quote:
That would make the United States, which has already declared its interest in hosting the 2018 tournament, the best-placed country with the Asian confederation, which now includes Australia, next in line.
And this is what the writer makes of it.

bad journalism.
Martuh no está en línea  
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:05 PM   #1751
Riise

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
Nice try mate! He never said he wanted America to host it, just a CONCACAF nation.

Blatter: 2018 may head to Americas

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has warned there is no guarantee that the 2018 World Cup will be held in Europe - putting a question mark against hopes England would host that tournament.

Blatter was meeting Chancellor Gordon Brown and sports minister Richard Caborn with a possible World Cup bid at the top of the agenda.

But the FIFA president has raised the prospect of the 2018 tournament either being held in North America or Asia - and the USA, China and Australia have also indicated their intention to bid.

FIFA's executive committee will decide in December on whether the World Cup should continue to rotate to different continents or if it should be open to all bidders.

Blatter told a media briefing in London: 'The executive committee must take a decision whether the rotation should include all the confederations in which case the 2018 World Cup should be in CONCACAF (north and central America).

'They could also decide that the Americas should be considered as one and then rotation would go to Asia.

'It may also be that the majority of the FIFA executive committee where you have eight European representatives (out of 24) can find the 13 votes needed (for the World Cup to return to Europe).'

Blatter said his personal inclination was for rotation to continue to North America, with the USA, Mexico and Canada all capable of hosting the tournament.
Old March 1st, 2007, 12:23 AM   #1752
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Blatter is the biggest idiot in FIFA he just wants to get the votes to stay as president, idiot doesn't even know anything about football. UEFA should put their foot down, Europe can't go 16 years without a world cup, thats ridiculous!! especially when considering Europe makes up half the teams in the tournament.
Old March 1st, 2007, 12:31 AM   #1753
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd View Post
Blatter is the biggest idiot in FIFA he just wants to get the votes to stay as president, idiot doesn't even know anything about football. UEFA should put their foot down, Europe can't go 16 years without a world cup, thats ridiculous!! especially when considering Europe makes up half the teams in the tournament.
Blatter remains in power at FIFA only because of his 'special relationship' with minor members of the CONCACEF federation - it's natural that he would 'big up' their hopes for a finals tournament.

At the moment, it appears that Europe is the natural 'go' for 2018. In Europe it's hard to argue against England as hosts for 2018. That being the case, there's very little chance for Blatter and his mates to get those lucrative 'gifts' and do all that preparatory travelling UNLESS he 'opens the bidding up' to the whole world or one of the more 'generous' federations. He's just guarenteed himself tip top hotel accomodation, gifts, etc., for the next six years anytime he goes to China, Australia, the USA, Canada, etc., etc.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:26 AM   #1754
TohrAlkimista

Likes (Received): 886

Blatter represents the bad aspect of football.
TohrAlkimista no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:22 AM   #1755
nyrmetros

Likes (Received): 19

i'm just the messenger of bad journalism. Now when's that god damn journalism grad school gonna accept me already? effers......
nyrmetros no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:29 AM   #1756
camzano

double post
camzano no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:31 AM   #1757
camzano

australia 2018 be there
camzano no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:43 AM   #1758
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by camzano View Post
australia 2018 be there
i dont think so
Old March 1st, 2007, 03:16 AM   #1759
Benjuk

Looks like buildings to the 'south', a main road to the 'west', not sure about 'east', looks like there are lights to the 'north' indicating more buildings.

This link also indicates buildings around the stadium...

http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=280

That said, having looked again, maybe it's designed so that the roof can come off and a second tier of seats be added right around - assuming the second tier wasn't too deep, I would imagine that the stadium footprint wouldn't need to be expanded that much, and another 15 seats wouldn't be impossible.

Bring it on!
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2007, 03:46 AM   #1760
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Looks like buildings to the 'south', a main road to the 'west', not sure about 'east', looks like there are lights to the 'north' indicating more buildings.

This link also indicates buildings around the stadium...

http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=280

That said, having looked again, maybe it's designed so that the roof can come off and a second tier of seats be added right around - assuming the second tier wasn't too deep, I would imagine that the stadium footprint wouldn't need to be expanded that much, and another 15 seats wouldn't be impossible.

Bring it on!
This is my theory. As long as the foundations are strong enough to support it, i can't see why it couldn't be done.
Wezza no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup