daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 26th, 2005, 08:06 PM   #161
Noostairz

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDaBuilder
Oz should do a deal with England at the very least. We let you guys have 2018 as long as you guys let us have 2022.

deal!
Noostairz no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2005, 03:43 AM   #162
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

Now we only have to convince the other 200 FIFA members....

NZ would be up for it, so there is one at least.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2005, 06:24 AM   #163
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Hmmm, I had to stay up all night long to watch the games in 2002, so it be the same for a WC in Oz.......
hngcm no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2005, 10:31 AM   #164
Loopy70

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm
Hmmm, I had to stay up all night long to watch the games in 2002, so it be the same for a WC in Oz.......

poor you. we in OZ have to do that for nearly every major sporting event.

on another topic, ie back to my point earlier, i seriously think Oz will have an issue with stadia. New stadiums will not be built if they cannot be sustained after the WC. Its just not economic. Telstra stadium (beautiful as it is and probably the best in the country) is already a white elephant. 10 WC quality stadia is a big ask for OZ when you compare to the numerous great purpose built stadia in a place like England. Im not convinced the MCG and AAMI will be suitable venues either.

I still think we'll be about 2 to 4 short of what is required.
Loopy70 no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2005, 01:57 PM   #165
BobDaBuilder

Australia 'will host' World Cup
November 28, 2005

LIVERPOOL legend Craig Johnston opened his heart today to end a quarter century of despair and predict a soccer World Cup future for Australia.

In accepting his induction into the Australian Football Federation Hall Of Fame, the 45-year-old said Australia would host the World Cup and possibly also be a winner.

"I've been forgotten, ignored, snubbed and not had any proper recognition until now. I thought it was time to make amends and get involved," Johnston said.

"The world body FIFA loves Australians and its administrators. I told FIFA when Australia was bidding for the 2000 Olympics that we would put on the best Olympics ever.

Politically, it will be very hard but FIFA knows from the past experience of the Olympics and two World Youth finals that if Australia stages the Cup here it will be the best World Cup ever."

"The way we handle sports here is better than anywhere else and I am very confident."

Johnston, who flew to Sydney from the United States to watch the return match against Uruguay, said the skill level of the Australian team was 30 per cent higher than the side he had seen last year.

"It could be the effect of new coach Guus Hiddink who is rated by many as a football genius. But whatever we're doing now is not enough, although the move into Asia will make us better."

"Playing nations like Tonga, The Cook Islands and West Samoa was a drawback but Japan, China and Korea is a step forward."

"Australia had suffered from geographic isolation and rugby league, union and the AFL had captured the minds of the kids. But now with the Socceroos and the A-League we have given them something."

"In previous years there was always a smirk and a giggle when Australian soccer was mentioned but when Terry Venables took over, people don't smirk anymore because they see Australia as a big threat," he said.

Johnston, who described his time at Liverpool as "the worst player in the world's best team" won 13 trophies during his seven years with the English Premier Club.

He also made the shock revelation that he had been approached to manage the Australian team but told the national officials that he preferred a business or advisory role.

"I said no to the offer but also said that I would get them a manager and Terry Venables was the result. That was a big contribution to Australian football."

"My desire is not to manage grown-ups but to mould kids into a better community and better footballers. I'm a passionate and proud Australian living overseas and I've always had this strong wish to give something back to Australia and soccer."

Johnston revealed his Supaskills program now operating in the United States and England had been endorsed by FIFA and leading English authorities.

He said the introduction of the program in England in big cities like London, Birmingham and Glasgow had taken youngsters off the street, reduced crime and obesity and improved discipline.

"My dream is to have more Australian kids playing soccer," he said.

"It's my mission and the future looks very promising but we must work hard. The Socceroos, if they want to win the World Cup, have to remember there's a poorer nation who wants it more."
Old November 30th, 2005, 03:25 AM   #166
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

A great venue for a World Cup!

Sydney's Telstra Stadium packed with 84,000 people during last weeks Australia vs Uruguay.

ExSydney no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2005, 09:57 AM   #167
NavyBlue
Under Construction

Likes (Received): 9

Great place for the opening ceremony...lol

The final at the G
NavyBlue no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2005, 11:42 AM   #168
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

arghh..The Final!..Sydney or Melbourne
now that will be a contest in itself!
Old December 1st, 2005, 12:13 PM   #169
Dean

Likes (Received): 911

lol. i love all the british sooks complaining that a WC wont be any good here coz we are so far ahead of GMT.

the simple fact is that if you want a major event done right, on time and budget, perfectly run, in safe and ultra modern cities then you'd pick Australia everyday of the week and twice on sundays.

any WC staged in Australia will be an improvement on anything ever held previously. and you can take that to the bank.
Dean no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2005, 12:48 PM   #170
BobDaBuilder

^

Have to agree 100%.

In England, it is ridiculously over-priced, and over-crowded.

The stadiums are small and cramped. Don't even try and drive a car to a football match in England there are no car-parks as they have plonked their stadia into their suburban jungles.

Security would be a nightmare, travelling fans would be constantly on guard against the hostile English supporters.

FIFA would have to take everything into consideration and England just cannot compete with what Oz has to offer.

The profits for the World Cup in Australia would be larger for FIFA, not only because all costs would be considerably lower but you could sell the event better into the biggest TV markets on the planet as they are in similar time zones.
Old December 1st, 2005, 01:59 PM   #171
JimB

Likes (Received): 4786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
lol. i love all the british sooks complaining that a WC wont be any good here coz we are so far ahead of GMT.

the simple fact is that if you want a major event done right, on time and budget, perfectly run, in safe and ultra modern cities then you'd pick Australia everyday of the week and twice on sundays.

any WC staged in Australia will be an improvement on anything ever held previously. and you can take that to the bank.
Duh!

There has only been one person who brought up the issue of the time zone and that person is in San Diego.

Who are all these mythical "British sooks" to whom you refer, ya daft ****?

And I don't think that anyone doubts that the aussies would put on a good show. The only problem, as even many aussies concede, is the lack of suitable stadiums.
JimB no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2005, 02:37 PM   #172
JimB

Likes (Received): 4786

Quote:
^

Have to agree 100%.

The stadiums are small and cramped. Don't even try and drive a car to a football match in England there are no car-parks as they have plonked their stadia into their suburban jungles.

Security would be a nightmare, travelling fans would be constantly on guard against the hostile English supporters.

FIFA would have to take everything into consideration and England just cannot compete with what Oz has to offer.

The profits for the World Cup in Australia would be larger for FIFA, not only because all costs would be considerably lower but you could sell the event better into the biggest TV markets on the planet as they are in similar time zones.
Almost 100% wrong!

1. While England is a relatively small country with a relatively large population, we are not unfamiliar with tourism. We count our tourists in the many tens of millions. I think we can probably find room to squeeze in a couple of hundred thousand football fans. And while England may be expensive, it is no more expensive than Japan and, if Japan is considered suitable for the World Cup, then England must be also.

2. The stadiums are bigger and more suited to football than anything that Australia could offer. In fact, of all the countries in the world, probably only Germany, the US and Spain can compete for dedicated football stadia.

3. You may rather have your stadia in some suburban wasteland surrounded by acres of concreted car parks. I prefer stadia that are surrounded by pubs and restaurants and city life. 90% of visiting fans won't have cars with them anyway and those that don't can travel by public transport. After all, we English manage to get to our football matches (in greater numbers than any other country on earth, as it happens) every week for nine months of the year, without our stadia being "blessed" by huge car parks.

4. For all England's previous problems with hooliganism abroad, there have been no such problems within England over the past twenty years. English stadia are far ahead of those of almost every other country because of well organised ticketing policies meaning proper segregation, extensive CCTV at every ground, well trained stewards, and a police force that knows better than any other how to operate at football matches. Besides, you may have missed the World Cup of 2002 when, other than Japanese and South Koreans, there were far more English present than fans from any other nation. We had over 20,000 there. Most other countries took only a couple of thousand. And there was no trouble. Same story in Portugal for Euro 2004. Far more English than any other visiting fans. We had over 70,000 there and again, no trouble, even on the night that we outnumbered the Portuguese in their own stadium (rather like the final of the rugby world cup in Sydney!). If hooliganism is your concern, then Brazil or Argentina or Italy would never get a World Cup these days. And Brazil will get the World Cup in 2014.

Australia would make a fine host of the World Cup. In one or two ways, it could be better than England. In others, though, it is lacking by comparison to England. The main reason, however, why I suspect that England will be favourites for 2018 is that FIFA will be reluctant to take the World Cup away from Europe for sixteen years or more. Europe is its biggest paymaster and has by far the most competing teams. And of the European nations that could hold the tournament, it is England's turn.
JimB no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2005, 03:13 PM   #173
Martuh
×××

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
^

Have to agree 100%.

Gimme ten stadiums that could host WC games in Oz. And I don't mean the Aussie Rules or cricket stadiums where you're ten miles away from the action needing goggles to look. England has at least fifteen WC-able stadiums, in Oz you'd need to build new and improve old stadiums.

Wembley
Old Trafford
Stanley Park
Emirates
Twickenham
St. James Park
Stadium of Light
Stamford Bridge
Villa Park
City of Manchester
Anfield Road
Goodison Park
Elland Road
Hillsborough
Highbury
White Hart Lane
etc
Martuh no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2005, 03:13 PM   #174
Noostairz

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB
Duh!

There has only been one person who brought up the issue of the time zone and that person is in San Diego.

Who are all these mythical "British sooks" to whom you refer, ya daft ****?

And I don't think that anyone doubts that the aussies would put on a good show. The only problem, as even many aussies concede, is the lack of suitable stadiums.
just what i was going to say.

not enough stadiums of an adequate size or purpose-built design.

and seen as the aussie rules seasons runs from march - september (??), there remains real question marks as to whether some of the stadiums will actually be available for a june - july world cup.

it also remains to be seen whether there'd actually be enough public enthusiasm to fill the grounds.
Noostairz no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2005, 03:20 PM   #175
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
How would the costs in Oz be lower? as has been stated you would need to build a number of new stadiums in order to host a WC were as by 2014-18 England will most likely not have to build any espeically for the WC. Unless there are massive changes by 2018 then the biggest TV market for football will remain europe aswell.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2005, 03:22 PM   #176
Madman

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
^

Have to agree 100%.

1) Have you been to many British top-tier stadiums? They are as modern as any in Europe and probably Australia as well

2) We use public transport in Britain to go to major events, acres of carparks filled for a few days a year is hardly sustainable and ecologically quite reckless

3) Our fans are no worse than many other countries, in fact in recent tournaments we have turned out to be some of the best for the size of the travelling fans. Media attention made sure we had top sort that problem out. Besides if you were right wouldnt it be better to have it in England we have very little problems of hooliganism in our leagues (unlike other major countries)

4) We are perfectly situated for the main football markets, tv rights would be far easier to sell from Britain than Australia to the major broadcasters.

Last edited by Madman; December 1st, 2005 at 11:39 PM.
Madman no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2005, 04:28 PM   #177
cianobuckley

Likes (Received): 17

The one in Brisbane is the most suitable. The main problem with all these stadia is that they are all mainly used for other sports rugby and cricket etc. Not that FIFA has a problem with that but they generally like to award the world cup to a country that can develop their football infrastructure like in Japan/Korea as opposed to this bid which would be very similar to USA '94.
cianobuckley no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2005, 05:59 PM   #178
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman
2) We use public transport in Britain to go to major events, acres of carparks filled for a few days a year is hardly sustainable and ecologically quite reckless
Most places here do have a rail line running next to them and there isn't much car parking now that Waverley Park (the mother of all carparks) has been torn down. The MCG's carpark (keep in mind the MCG existed long before cars were conceived and the first railways had just been built) is just a huge chunk of parkland - although half of Melbourne's suburban network travels past the MCG so there's not much of an excuse to drive. The Telstra Dome is right across the road from Spencer St station which is the main terminus for regional trains, as well as all suburban services travelling that way.

In the case of the Commonwealth Games coming to Melbourne in a few months, a ticket entitles you to free public transport so surely they'd do it for the World Cup too.

I can't say that much for other cities, but many of the stadiums were built well before the advent of car travel, so they do have a decent public transport service.

Generally speaking - New South Wales and Queensland have decent rectangular stadiums since rugby is the dominant code of football there (although Brisbane and Sydney have won a 4 AFL premierships between them in the past five years so there's plenty of people jumping on the bandwagon). The rest of the country have stadiums that are anything from perfectly round (MCG) to an elongated oval - due to the lack of a standard size for an Aussie Rules field. Soccer is emerging in these states and in many cases are ahead of rugby, hence Melbourne's proposal which the government seems to be eager to ensure a speedy approval for.

But soccer is breaking new ground in Australia. The whole national body was dismantled and we've got our inaugural season of the new A-League with new clubs and we've seen that places like Melbourne's Olympic Park are simply insufficient.

It's 3am, pardon my incoherence
invincible no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2005, 09:51 AM   #179
Loopy70

Likes (Received): 0

No trouble filling the stadiums in Australia for the WC. There would be huge enthusiasm as Soccer is a big sport here.

At the Rugby WC stadiums were filled to capacity in Perth and Adelaide, and they're not even Rugby states. (Perth will be, but there's no tradition there).

The problem still remains the stadia themselves. There arent 10 suitable now, and i challenge anyone to tell me where the shortfall will be made up.
Loopy70 no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2005, 12:33 PM   #180
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Australia have currently 9 stadia that technically would be up to FIFA standard(modern all seater 40,000++)

Telstra Stadium-83,500
Aussie Stadium-42,000
Sydney Cricket Ground-44,000
Melbourne Cricket Ground-100,000
Telstra Dome-55,000
Suncorp Stadium-53,000
GABBA-42,000
AAMI Stadium-50,000
Subiaco Oval-42,000

BUT in all truth,I think only 5 would probably be considered as certainties...

Telstra Stadium
Aussie Stadium
Melbourne Cricket Ground
Telstra Dome
Suncorp

The other venue would come from
Canberra-Canberra Stadium is currently 30,000.It has plenty of expansion room for an extra 10,000 Temporary seating even

Newcastle Stadium-Again 30,000 currently.Newcastle could permanantly sustain 40,000.

Townsville-In one of the fastest growing areas of Australia,the current venue seats around 25,000.Massive redevelopment would be required

Gold Coast-Similar to Townsville..A new stadium of around 25,000 is to be built,with possibilities of a second tier in the design.40,000 quite possible although long term economics of 40,000 may be difficult.

Perth-There is talk of a 60,000 Stadium for Perth to replace Subiaco.If a World Cup was awarded to Australia,there would be no doubt this would be built.

Adelaide-Unlike Perth,no real demand for a Stadium to replace AAMI.I dont think AAMI is suitable.Maybe upgrade Hindmarsh and use temporary seating to increase to the 40,000.I cant though see Adelaide missing out if we got the nod.

Most countries that are awarded World Cup do go on massive stadium spending sprees to upgrade and build new venues.Australia would be no different.
Also,how many countries around the World have 2 ultra-modern all seater 80,000 + venues??

USA
Australia
Spain(is the Neu Camp considered modern?)
Italy
UK in the near future
??? who else?

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup