daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old March 19th, 2007, 12:55 AM   #1881
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

footprints on the moon...hahahah
Mo Rush no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2007, 01:11 AM   #1882
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6296

Sorry to keep going off track here with the moon thing ( ) but a thought just occured to me: with the gravity up there imagine what the record for keepy-uppy would be!!

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2007, 01:38 AM   #1883
KiwiBrit
There's only one United

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrio415 View Post
Ah but did usa really go to the moon?
You've got a very valid point marrio. I like the way the American flag seems to be fluttering in that picture. Quite an achievment for a planet with no atmosphere!
KiwiBrit no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #1884
antigr12
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
public imposture with expensive useless moving big cocks
antigr12 no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2007, 11:31 PM   #1885
AleksIII
Mexico Bicentenario 2010

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
I don't think so!
Old March 20th, 2007, 02:06 AM   #1886
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
nope
Old March 20th, 2007, 04:51 AM   #1887
IHaveNoLegs
No Fat Chicks

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiBrit View Post
You've got a very valid point marrio. I like the way the American flag seems to be fluttering in that picture. Quite an achievment for a planet with no atmosphere!
The astronauts were moving the flag into position, causing motion. Since there is no air on the Moon to provide friction, these movements caused a long-lasting undulating movement seen in the flag. There was a rod extending from the top of the flagpole to hold the flag out for proper display. The fabric's rippled appearance was due to its having been folded during flight and gave it an appearance which could be mistaken for motion in a still photograph. The top supporting rod of the flag was telescopic and the crew of Apollo 11 found they could not fully extend it. Later crews did not fully extend this rod because they liked how it made the flag appear. A viewing of the videotape made during the Moonwalk shows that shortly after the astronauts remove their hands from the flag/flagpole, it stops moving and remains motionless. At one point the flag is in view for well over thirty minutes and it remains completely motionless throughout that period (and all similar periods).

the wind sure is blowing that flag around

btw really off topic

Last edited by IHaveNoLegs; March 20th, 2007 at 07:40 AM.
IHaveNoLegs no está en línea  
Old March 20th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #1888
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoLegs View Post
The astronauts were moving the flag into position, causing motion. Since there is no air on the Moon to provide friction, these movements caused a long-lasting undulating movement seen in the flag. There was a rod extending from the top of the flagpole to hold the flag out for proper display. The fabric's rippled appearance was due to its having been folded during flight and gave it an appearance which could be mistaken for motion in a still photograph. The top supporting rod of the flag was telescopic and the crew of Apollo 11 found they could not fully extend it. Later crews did not fully extend this rod because they liked how it made the flag appear. A viewing of the videotape made during the Moonwalk shows that shortly after the astronauts remove their hands from the flag/flagpole, it stops moving and remains motionless. At one point the flag is in view for well over thirty minutes and it remains completely motionless throughout that period (and all similar periods).
The voice of reason. I always get scared when conspiracy theories about the moon landing get going.

Anyway, back on topic... The Moon, not Mars, for 2034. Either that or Morocco... You tell me which you think is most likely!
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old March 20th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #1889
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
The voice of reason. I always get scared when conspiracy theories about the moon landing get going.

Anyway, back on topic... The Moon, not Mars, for 2034. Either that or Morocco... You tell me which you think is most likely!
Lets not forget they also faked the photos of the moon landing, OK no more off topic Comments
Old April 10th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #1890
ccfc-4-life
Play up Sky Blues

england will get the 2018 wc for sure, after they were dinied the 2006 wc, the home of football cant get dened again !
ccfc-4-life no está en línea  
Old April 10th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #1891
dallasburg
GO RANGERS!!

Likes (Received): 1

australia would be a good idea, but maybe its lack of soccer only stadia could hurt it. i think england would be the best bet and plus... it hasnt held a wc in the recent past either.
Old April 11th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #1892
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfc-4-life View Post
england will get the 2018 wc for sure, after they were dinied the 2006 wc, the home of football cant get dened again !
Well done - it takes magnificent concentration to manage to spell 'denied' wrong two different ways in the space of one statement.

'Home of football' should have nothing to do with it - quality of facilities and popularity of the game is what it should be about. As previously stated, England has one of the best arrays of either completed or planned stadia in Europe, coupled with huge interest in the game and, by 2018, a 52 year gap since the last finals were staged there.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old April 11th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #1893
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasburg View Post
australia would be a good idea, but maybe its lack of soccer only stadia could hurt it. i think england would be the best bet and plus... it hasnt held a wc in the recent past either.
Transport a major issue too. It's a long drive from Townsville to Melbourne, even longer from 'anywhere' to Perth. Trains aren't exactly going to make it much easier, which leaves planes... Even if they 'regionalised' the groups, you'd still end up with fans having to travel great distances to get to and from games in Perth (assuming the other games in their group would have to be played in Adelaide?).
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #1894
The Gazmon

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
Transport a major issue too. It's a long drive from Townsville to Melbourne, even longer from 'anywhere' to Perth. Trains aren't exactly going to make it much easier, which leaves planes... Even if they 'regionalised' the groups, you'd still end up with fans having to travel great distances to get to and from games in Perth (assuming the other games in their group would have to be played in Adelaide?).

Hehe... Townsville to Melb? 3 days? 1 day TWNS to BRIS. 1 BRIS to SYD and 1 SYD to MELB.

Hehe... not so far...haha... you could do one side of Europe to the other quicker than that.

The US geographically is as big as Australia, how did they cope with travelling fans?
The Gazmon no está en línea  
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #1895
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

I've driven from Townsville to Canberra in under 23 hours, straight through, by myself. It is far quicker to drive the inland route, though it wouldn't be recommended for foreign tourists, pretty easy to get lost.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old April 12th, 2007, 06:08 AM   #1896
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gazmon View Post
The US geographically is as big as Australia, how did they cope with travelling fans?
Easier for US to 'regionalize' groups, also a lot more airlines and a better road network. Someone previously posted a selection of venues for the US based on ease of access by rail - looked pretty impressive.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 12:59 AM   #1897
ccfc-4-life
Play up Sky Blues

personally i reckon england will defo get the 2018 wc, the birthplace of the sport hasnt hosted a wc since the famous year of 1966...too long!
ccfc-4-life no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 05:21 AM   #1898
Benjuk

My original point on this thread was that there was no way Australia would be used as an 'emergency' stand-in for the World Cup Finals in 2010 or 2014, etc.

The very respectable Mr Blatter concurs...

"LONDON, April 30 (Reuters) - FIFA president Sepp Blatter has told the BBC that football's world governing body has contingency plans in case South Africa cannot host the World Cup in 2010.

Blatter's comments to BBC TV's Inside Sport programme due to be broadcast on Monday night, were reported on the BBC website on Monday.

'Other countries are ready to organise the World Cup', Blatter is quoted as saying although he implied they would not be needed.

He tells the programme that the United States, England, Mexico, Japan and Spain would be ready to step in, adding: 'definitely we have a possibility to go somewhere else if something happens.

'It was the same case in Germany. Something can happen. A natural catastrophe or whatever, a big change in society - everybody against football."

No mention of Aussie Aussie Aussie. Maybe Iemma and the Aussie media will get the hint now. If 'we' want it here, we're going to have to build the stadiums and bid for it.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:56 AM   #1899
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Interesting, considering this news item is doing the rounds:

Australia On 2010 Standby

Apr 30 2007 22:33
FIFA president Sepp Blatter has said Australia or England could still host the 2010 World Cup.
South Africa are set to host the tournament in three years' time.

It would be the first time the event has been staged on the African continent, but there were reports of delays in stadium construction work which threatened hopes of the tournament being staged there.

The sport's world governing body remain confident that all necessary facilities will be ready in time but Blatter clearly feels FIFA need to keep options open in case there are any unforeseen problems, and listed Australia as one country which could step in.

Asked if England or Australia were fall-back options should the South African organisation falter, Blatter told the BBC's Inside Sport programme: "Yes, but there are other countries that are ready to organise tomorrow morning or in two days, or two months, a World Cup. The United States of America, and Mexico, they can do it, Japan, they can do it. They have enough stadia.

"You say England can do it, and I am sure. Spain, they can do it. There is a lot of countries, but they don't need to be ready."

The English FA has said they are ready to step in if needed, but their willingness to make themselves available in an emergency is understandable considering Blatter does not favour a European bid for the 2018 tournament.

FIFA will make a decision on which continent stages the event later this year but Blatter favours a World Cup in Asia, which could include Australia now they are part of the Asian Confederation.

"Personally, I think that we should maintain a rotation," Blatter said.

"At least with four continents. To take North and South America as one continent, Europe, Africa and Asia. This would mean that the next World Cup after 2014 would go to Asia."

Copyright (c) 2007 Press Association

Personally, i wouldn't want it here in 2010, i'd rather wait til we have the correct stadia & not have to use cricket stadiums at some cities.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:23 PM   #1900
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

On an interview for 'Inside Sport' last night (BBC1), FIFA president announced he wanted to continue the rotation policy for continents, so pretty much confirmed that the 2018 World Cup would go to Asia... So China looks the best bet at the moment.
Gherkin no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup