daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 6th, 2007, 10:48 AM   #1921
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

China easily would win an asian bid for the 2022 WC
hngcm no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #1922
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Whether it's 2018 or 2022, if the world cup goes to Asia (as I've said before), it's not going to be a straight showdown between Australia and China.

I guarentee that by then at least one of middle-eastern nations will have sorted themselves out - so don't rule out a bid by the Iraq (unless FIFA rule it out as the 51st state of the USA), the UAE, Saudi Arabia, etc.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #1923
||-GOB-||
I've made a huge mistake.

Likes (Received): 0

I wish I could be optimistic about Australia's chances of getting the soccer WC ahead of China but no matter how many ways you split it 1 billion people will always make you more money than 20 million.
||-GOB-|| no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #1924
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
Whether it's 2018 or 2022, if the world cup goes to Asia (as I've said before), it's not going to be a straight showdown between Australia and China.

I guarentee that by then at least one of middle-eastern nations will have sorted themselves out - so don't rule out a bid by the Iraq (unless FIFA rule it out as the 51st state of the USA), the UAE, Saudi Arabia, etc.
I think it would just be too darn hot to have it in the dead of summer in the ME. Plus, the countries that may be able to pull it off don't real have enough big cities to showcase the event on a national scale.
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:21 AM   #1925
Sparks

Likes (Received): 153

There is no realistic possibility of the Middle East hosting a world cup for the forseable future.

I am not sure how the football culture aka alcohol would blend in with countries like Saudi Arabia, these places have zero experience of policing hundred of thousands of foreign football fans.

As for the UAE, what are they going to do with the stadiums after the WC? There isn't enough people or interest to have one 40,000 seat stadium let alone 12.
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #1926
Benjuk

It's a far out notion - not one I 'expect' to happen, but, the way the Emirates are throwing money at building projects, they way they are promoting their nation, I could see them building a series of stadia along the coast, placing each of them in a separate 'town/city'.

As to heat - All of them 'indoor' with air-con, thus negating the heat issue.

As to crowds - there were white elephants in Korea, there is a big one in Germany, there would be several in Australia if we were to host it, and there would be a few in the Emirates too. I'm pretty sure that the Emirates could make sure the stadiums got used more than for just the world cup to - paying big money to attract concerts, or turning them into huge conference centers, or even pulling all the seats out and turning them into malls of some sort. FIFA are said to not like stadiums that aren't used outside the tournaments - but FIFA are also said to be greedy, money obsessed, b*stards - and there's certainly plenty of money in the Emirates.

As to alcohol - Emirates is not dry (I think). As a comic aside - my mates and I went to the world cup with a flag marked "LOT BEERS" and looked forward to flying it in the Saudi enclosure at Saudi vs Spain... Bit of a let down when I ended up having a beer with a bunch of Saudi's outside the ground!! (I'd post the pictures if I could figure out how).
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:54 AM   #1927
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Would FIFA really go for putting the WC in a nation of five million? Or maybe a few million in the case of the other sheikdoms? What are the sixth and seventh biggest cities in the UAE? Qutar? Kuwait? Pretty small I imagine. The only market that has a variety of cities, potential wealth, and the market size in the Gulf would be Saudi Arabia. And there would BIG social/cultural hurdles to cross to give it any serious consideration.

Plus, even though it has allowed dome stadiums on a few occasions it is something that FIFA generally discourages I think. I think having all stadiums closed in wouldn't really fly. If there were stadiums that were all retractable roof and if weather permitted at night to open them up I could see that being a solution but all domes all the time I just don't see it.

As far as the Emirates go alcohol from I have read can only be purchased at the mega hotels there. Would that be conducive towards the party atmosphere and where public intoxication is still very frowned upon? Plus, I believe some of the Emirates do indeed have a no alcohol policy.
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:04 PM   #1928
Evoluon
Disney Nasty

Likes (Received): 44

A combined Belgium-Netherlands bid for the 2018 World Cup is now firmly in the making. Belgium have already given the go ahead, and at the moment, the Dutch FA are asking the PM for government backing, which shouldn't cause problems. So boys and girls, prepare yourself for a glorious Low Countries proposal!
Evoluon no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:47 PM   #1929
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwakzalver View Post
A combined Belgium-Netherlands bid for the 2018 World Cup is now firmly in the making. Belgium have already given the go ahead, and at the moment, the Dutch FA are asking the PM for government backing, which shouldn't cause problems. So boys and girls, prepare yourself for a glorious Low Countries proposal!
So if Belgium and the Netherlands win the bid, were going to see the powerhouse country of Belgium plying their craft in the biggest stage of them all?? Its embrassing enough having South Africa in there instead of ...(insert decent nation)... playing. Oh and whats next, China???

Seriously, how many shit countries do we want to have in the WC??? Yes i understand we have to expand the game to all corners of the globe but its just plain embrassing seeing 6-0, 9-0 drubbings here and there.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:18 PM   #1930
CarlosBlueDragon
CarlosRedDragon

Likes (Received): 678

2010 : South Africa
2014 : South America
2018 : North America
2022 : Europe
2026 : Asia
2030 : Uruguay for 100years ago back from 1930

I like choose only
2014 : Brazil
2018 : Mexico
2022 : Belgium-Netherlands
2026 : China
2030 : Uruguay
2034 : Australia-New Zealand
2038 : England for end of champions title!!

*** China to Wait until 2026 to Host World Cup by says FIFA vice president!!
CarlosBlueDragon no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:42 PM   #1931
Sparks

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Do they seriously believe they can beat the likes of England and Spain in a bid though?

It's the same when South Africa bid in 2010, the likes of Libya, Egypt and Tunisia bid when they had no hope of beating South Africa.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:28 AM   #1932
Evoluon
Disney Nasty

Likes (Received): 44

Yes, they do actually. Euro 2000 was considered a big succes, and they aim to build on that. FIFA itself was full of praise after the U20 World Cup of 2005, held in the smaller stadiums of The Netherlands. Next month, the Euro Under 21 will be held in The Netherlands too, let's see what it will be like.

Eindhoven has a 4-star stadium, even when the total capacity falls short of the required 40.000 (it has 36.000), and got the 2006 UEFA Cup final. So quite a favour there, where capacity requirements moved to the background a bit. Why could Fifa not consider it at a possible WC bid?

The bid will probably contain:

- Enlarged stadium in Amsterdam (65.000)
- New stadiums in Brussels, Antwerp (50 or 60.000) and Rotterdam (70.000)
- Enlarged stadium in Eindhoven (over 40.000)
- Liege, Alkmaar, Utrecht(?), Brugge going to 40.000

There might not be a Wembley or a Bernabeu around, but they could definitely table a realistic bid!
Evoluon no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:38 AM   #1933
cmc

Likes (Received): 253

South Africa 2010

Brazil 2014

and then....

cmc no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:51 AM   #1934
JimB

Likes (Received): 4786

Quote:
Yes, they do actually. Euro 2000 was considered a big succes, and they aim to build on that. FIFA itself was full of praise after the U20 World Cup of 2005, held in the smaller stadiums of The Netherlands. Next month, the Euro Under 21 will be held in The Netherlands too, let's see what it will be like.

Eindhoven has a 4-star stadium, even when the total capacity falls short of the required 40.000 (it has 36.000), and got the 2006 UEFA Cup final. So quite a favour there, where capacity requirements moved to the background a bit. Why could Fifa not consider it at a possible WC bid?

The bid will probably contain:

- Enlarged stadium in Amsterdam (65.000)
- New stadiums in Brussels, Antwerp (50 or 60.000) and Rotterdam (70.000)
- Enlarged stadium in Eindhoven (over 40.000)
- Liege, Alkmaar, Utrecht(?), Brugge going to 40.000

There might not be a Wembley or a Bernabeu around, but they could definitely table a realistic bid!
A realistic bid, no doubt, in terms of their ability to hold the World Cup in 2018 or 2022.

But it won't come close to competing, purely in terms of stadiums, with England and Spain - both of whom will have far more, far bigger and more iconic stadiums.

Netherlands / Belgium would therefore have to win the vote on other criteria and it is just as hard to imagine them being able to achieve that. For starters, if at all possible, FIFA would far rather award the tournament to one bidding country rather than two. Having joint hosts means losing one qualifying spot and is consequently a last resort option for FIFA in the absence of credible alternatives. Netherlands / Belgium are therefore at a disadvantage before the vote winning process has even started.

There is also the emotional factor. The World Cup won't have been played in the country that gave the game to the world for 52 years, come 2018 (56 years, come 2022). Given that all the other big European countries (barring Russia, which still lacks the infrastructure) have hosted the World Cup in the past 25 years, I'm 95% certain that England will be Europe's choice as the next World Cup host when the tournament returns to our continent.

If Netherlands / Belgium is to stand a chance, they will have to hope that their good infrastructure and good reputation as destinations for visitors count for a disproportionate amount with FIFA executives. But, in that respect, you'd have to say that they aren't significantly better off than England or Spain, if at all.

The only other hope that Netherlands / Belgium has is that they have never before hosted the World Cup. But I don't even think that that will be enough. As already pointed out, England won't have hosted the World Cup for at least 52 years - the best part of a lifetime - and the tournament now is so much bigger and almost completely unrecognisable from the 1966 tournament.
JimB no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:14 PM   #1935
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

I wouldnt want to be up against the poms in a bid. Thats all il say.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:17 PM   #1936
Chimaera

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juddy View Post
So if Belgium and the Netherlands win the bid, were going to see the powerhouse country of Belgium plying their craft in the biggest stage of them all?? Its embrassing enough having South Africa in there instead of ...(insert decent nation)... playing. Oh and whats next, China???

Seriously, how many shit countries do we want to have in the WC??? Yes i understand we have to expand the game to all corners of the globe but its just plain embrassing seeing 6-0, 9-0 drubbings here and there.
A little more respect for Belgium and The Netherlands please. Look at our role in history, our performances in football (okay, I admit, Belgian football is not doing very well at the moment), our central place in Europe (at the very cradle of the European Union), headquarters of international organizations (The Hague, Brussels...), our economy... a good example to show that size isn't everything! Also, Belgium (especially Flanders) and The Netherlands are historically tied.

WC-suited stadium projects, even when there won't be a WC in B/NL in 2018:
Rotterdam: new, 70,000
Amsterdam: expansion of Amsterdam Arena
Bruges: new, 40,000
Antwerp: new, 40,000
Brussels: new, 40,000-50,000
Liège: 45,000
Chimaera no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:54 AM   #1937
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmc View Post
Mexico immediately after Brazil? No chance! They are practically next door to each other on a World map! FIFA will spread out the tournament to Europe, Asia, or Australasia.
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2007, 04:53 AM   #1938
Benjuk

Never in Australasia (so long as Australia are playing in the Asian Fed).

2018 - 2022 will be either Europe then Asia, or Asia then Europe. Either way, it's likely to be England and China (with Australia as outsiders).

For the Aussies, the best hope is victory in the upcoming Asian Cup, then a strong bid to host one of them in the future - big crowds and typically good Aussie organisation, THEN a solid bid for 2018/2022 (whichever is Asian)... For Aussies hopes, I hope 2018 is Europe as it gives the country a few more years to work on stadiums and profile of the game.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #1939
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
A little more respect for Belgium and The Netherlands please. Look at our role in history, our performances in football (okay, I admit, Belgian football is not doing very well at the moment), our central place in Europe (at the very cradle of the European Union), headquarters of international organizations (The Hague, Brussels...), our economy... a good example to show that size isn't everything! Also, Belgium (especially Flanders) and The Netherlands are historically tied.

WC-suited stadium projects, even when there won't be a WC in B/NL in 2018:
Rotterdam: new, 70,000
Amsterdam: expansion of Amsterdam Arena
Bruges: new, 40,000
Antwerp: new, 40,000
Brussels: new, 40,000-50,000
Liège: 45,000
No i wasnt having a go at Holland's on field performance (it speaks for itself really) nor was i having a go at Belgiums rich off-field history.

But what i was really amped about is the amount of 'free tickets' to the World's biggest sporting tournement and especially a celebration of 'the best of the best' of the beutiful game. China, South Africa, Belgium... Seriously cmon? Il hate to be that country that misses out because they had a ridiculous qualifying period.
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:37 PM   #1940
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
Never in Australasia (so long as Australia are playing in the Asian Fed).

2018 - 2022 will be either Europe then Asia, or Asia then Europe. Either way, it's likely to be England and China (with Australia as outsiders).

For the Aussies, the best hope is victory in the upcoming Asian Cup, then a strong bid to host one of them in the future - big crowds and typically good Aussie organisation, THEN a solid bid for 2018/2022 (whichever is Asian)... For Aussies hopes, I hope 2018 is Europe as it gives the country a few more years to work on stadiums and profile of the game.
Well there is no hope of us gunning for any Asian Cup before 15 as we will be booted out before we knew it. So if all goes well, we deliver a kick arse 15 champs and hopefully win the rights to 22 soon after. But were under no illusions at the enormous task ahead.

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup