daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 20th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #5481
The Terminator

Likes (Received): 7

Personally I think most of those public housing thingies either need to be torn off or be revamped and be more colourful or something. Though we should at least keep maybe 5 "classic" public housing estates so that it keeps the flavour of what hong kong was before.
The Terminator no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #5482
D.D.
BANNED

Likes (Received): 39

wow, i love that shot from ribarca
D.D. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #5483
Corporate.slave
Mister

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninov View Post
Increasing wealth from close to far

Yeah but the guys close to the picture got a swimming pool. I think.

Just out of curiosity, is there like a rivaly, between the two sides of the harbour? Like in London for an example?
hoo di hoo di yip hoo di yip hoo

Last edited by Corporate.slave; July 20th, 2009 at 08:47 PM.
Corporate.slave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #5484
blue_dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate.slave View Post
Just out of curiosity, is there like a rivaly, between the two sides of the harbour? Like in London for an example?
Many times, I've heard Kowloon being referred to as the dark side. I am certain there are people on HK island that never leave, aside from going to the airport!
blue_dragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #5485
spicytimothy
...::HK.:.:.:.LA::...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_dragon View Post
Many times, I've heard Kowloon being referred to as the dark side. I am certain there are people on HK island that never leave, aside from going to the airport!
I have NEVER EVER heard of that sort of talk. Maybe back before the tunnels opened.
Old July 21st, 2009, 01:04 AM   #5486
european

Likes (Received): 25

haha my friend lives there she told me something similar too.
european no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 03:01 AM   #5487
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytimothy View Post
I have NEVER EVER heard of that sort of talk. Maybe back before the tunnels opened.
When I used to live in Tai Koo and was in secondary school, I ventured out to Kowloon about once every three months, if that... There was simply no reason to go - the Island had everything I needed.

When I started going to PolyU for university (but still lived in Tai Koo), I only went to Kowloon when I had to - i.e., for classes.

All my other activity was more or less on the Island side.

There are plenty like me - I don' think it's the dark side, but a need to go to Kowloon doesn't really arise.

If you're working and living on the Island, there really isn't much of a need to venture out to the other side frequently - certainly more than four or five times in a month (unless you frequently meet your relatives/friends who are living there).

And these days, dare I say it, Kowloon is much the same thanks to rapid development.

Last edited by _00_deathscar; July 21st, 2009 at 04:46 AM.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 09:44 PM   #5488
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

There's a mentality that the harbour is some sort of "barrier." Although nowadays it's so narrow, transit fares are still higher to cross it, and people usually don't cross unless there is something on the other side that they need to get or see, like a certain store or some people.

It's the same with many regions of HK due to its natural geography. I'm from the Northwest New Territories which is isolated by a mountain range, and I don't really go out to Kowloon or HK Island that much, except for visiting relatives and friends. I really have everything I need in Yuen Long in terms of facilities and leisure.

Basically, it's easy to cross harbours and mountains with buses, trains and cars, but the tunnel fares add up.
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:37 PM   #5489
caelus

Likes (Received): 5

About the "darkside" statement, i think part of it is true, especially in the 90's, Kowloon is where most of the low income group reside, and the rich guys stay in HK island, the financial center of HK. Naturally, crime rate in Kowloon is higher than HK island, the place where many illegal business operates. This is also where the minorities reside.
caelus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:44 PM   #5490
skyscraper100
>:

Likes (Received): 32

oh, never heard of that, did the icc changed the story? or still the same?
skyscraper100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 02:38 AM   #5491
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
When I used to live in Tai Koo and was in secondary school, I ventured out to Kowloon about once every three months, if that... There was simply no reason to go - the Island had everything I needed.
Every member of my family in HK lives on the Island side. They very rarely go to Kowloon for fear of getting lost. Even after living in Hong Kong for over 50 years, they still don't know all the roads in Kowloon and will avoid traveling cross harbour if possible. I think this reality is true for many people who live on the Island side.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 06:21 AM   #5492
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybean View Post
Every member of my family in HK lives on the Island side. They very rarely go to Kowloon for fear of getting lost. Even after living in Hong Kong for over 50 years, they still don't know all the roads in Kowloon and will avoid traveling cross harbour if possible. I think this reality is true for many people who live on the Island side.
It's just interesting to see how majority of HKers can live within such a small footprint, usually only a few miles or less than <10km radius but still find everything you need for living, working and playing.

Every morning when I drive to work, it's a 13 mile or 21km commute, takes about 30 minutes. In the NA standard, that's pretty close by, and just an average American's commute time. But then when I start thinking what does it means to put the same distance in HK, it's like travelling from Aberdeen all the way to Tai Po/Fanling area. By HK standard, it is super far away!!!!
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:00 AM   #5493
deej

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
It's just interesting to see how majority of HKers can live within such a small footprint, usually only a few miles or less than <10km radius but still find everything you need for living, working and playing.

Every morning when I drive to work, it's a 13 mile or 21km commute, takes about 30 minutes. In the NA standard, that's pretty close by, and just an average American's commute time. But then when I start thinking what does it means to put the same distance in HK, it's like travelling from Aberdeen all the way to Tai Po/Fanling area. By HK standard, it is super far away!!!!
Yep, and a 1-hour commute is considered really long. And to think I used to be able to walk to work...

You raise a good point, EricIsHim. I tend to gravitate to the areas where I live or work. When my office was at Times Square, I'd typically hang out in CWB -- even on weekends. Now, it's mainly Central.

Going back to the 'dark side' comment, I've only lived on HK Island. Except to go to a concert at the cultural centre or maybe eating at a restaurant in Kowloon, there really wasn't any need to cross the harbor.

Regardless, many of my friends believe there's a noticeable difference between people living on the HK side and those on the Kowloon side. Whether it's psychological, I can't say, but I've had friends visiting HKG from other countries who have noticed this as well.
deej no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 03:58 PM   #5494
pookgai

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by deej View Post
Yep, and a 1-hour commute is considered really long. And to think I used to be able to walk to work...

You raise a good point, EricIsHim. I tend to gravitate to the areas where I live or work. When my office was at Times Square, I'd typically hang out in CWB -- even on weekends. Now, it's mainly Central.

Going back to the 'dark side' comment, I've only lived on HK Island. Except to go to a concert at the cultural centre or maybe eating at a restaurant in Kowloon, there really wasn't any need to cross the harbor.

Regardless, many of my friends believe there's a noticeable difference between people living on the HK side and those on the Kowloon side. Whether it's psychological, I can't say, but I've had friends visiting HKG from other countries who have noticed this as well.
Interesting comments. As someone who loves both HK Island and Kowloon, I must say that alot of HK people don't fully appreciate what each district offers and many people just stick to routine. I have many friends who live on the Island that would only frequent CWB or Central. I even had friends who have never been to Mong Kok or Sham Shui Po and would swear by Wanchai Computer Centre! From experience, most of the HK bargains can be found in Kowloon (generally in Mong Kokand Sham Shui Po for electronics and consumer goods) but most of the high end, more diversified stores are located on HK Island in Central (Soho/LKF etc.) and CWB.

When it comes to food, both sides of the harbour have thier pluses.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Pictures of ICC I took this week whilst I was in HK:

^ ICC from IFC

^ ICC from IFC

^ Closeup from The Peak

^ From The Peak

^ From The Peak

^ Now Everybody Say "Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

And a couple of bonus pictures for your HK fix!

^ 2IFC, Centre and K11 (a.k.a. Hanoi Rd) closeup

^ BoC, CKC, AIG
pookgai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 04:15 PM   #5495
-shogun-

Great pics everyone, cheers! Here are some I took last week:

Last edited by -shogun-; July 22nd, 2009 at 04:30 PM.
-shogun- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 05:01 PM   #5496
Ribarca

Likes (Received): 3335

The last reflection shot I'll post.

Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:12 PM   #5497
spicytimothy
...::HK.:.:.:.LA::...

These reflection shots are crazy good! Nice job.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:33 PM   #5498
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Likes (Received): 2829

Beautiful shots, guys! Very nice work indeed.
Parisian Girl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 02:37 AM   #5499
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

That's the first time I've seen the Hanoi Road lighting scheme from the fat side Very nice updates.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:21 AM   #5500
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookgai View Post
When it comes to food, both sides of the harbour have thier pluses.
For 'Western' food, Kowloon is smacked right up like a bitch. Doesn't have much to offer in that way apart from Tsim Sha Tsui.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 austin road west, centre, commerce, hong kong, icc, international, kowloon, union square