daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 27th, 2009, 12:50 AM   #6161
SilentStrike

Likes (Received): 192

yes, in that photo harbourside doesnt even look that bad.
SilentStrike no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2009, 06:12 AM   #6162
whoami

Likes (Received): 8

chill up. another one from MF.

the roof was almost done last year

whoami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 06:30 AM   #6163
Caravaggio
Caravaggio

Likes (Received): 54

Another great edifice for Hong Kong is now coming to completion.By the way the pics are great,specially th ones taken from afar.I hope building like the ICC could be going up in LA but that will probably not happen anytime soon.
Caravaggio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #6164
ruip3dr0silva
Rui Silva

Likes (Received): 2

Taken 23 October by me

image hosted on flickr
ruip3dr0silva no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #6165
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

Sweet shot!!! How high is the mountaintop you were on?
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 02:27 AM   #6166
Krattle

Likes (Received): 12

Victoria Peak at its tallest is not much taller than ICC.
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #6167
deepblue01

Likes (Received): 66

Hmm, my brother will be going to HK in early Nov, hope the sky will be more clear by then so that he can take nice pics
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #6168
Ribarca

Likes (Received): 3274

There is good news for him. Skies are pretty clean now. Time for some new shots.

Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #6169
stefanguti

Likes (Received): 1223

Ribarca, in what tower did you live? From where did you take your photos of Central?

Vienna Public Transport Thread

Austrian Subforum
stefanguti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #6170
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17832

Ritz-Carlton plans return to Hong Kong as the world's tallest hotel
28 October 2009
South China Morning Post

Luxury hotel chain The Ritz-Carlton will return to the city next year following the closure of its Hong Kong branch in Central last year.

Mark DeCocinis, its regional vice-president for the Asia-Pacific region, told a press briefing in Hong Kong yesterday that the new six-star hotel would open in Kowloon in December next year.

It will occupy the top 17 floors of the 118-storey International Commerce Centre (ICC), making it the tallest hotel in the world.

The hotel will offer 312 guest rooms, ranging from 50-square-metre deluxe harbour-view rooms to 365-square-metre suites. It will also feature bars, restaurants, a club lounge, a spa and a ballroom set to be the city's second largest.

DeCocinis said the hotel aimed to be "a new social centre in Hong Kong", and room rates would be set "at the top level" compared to other hotels in the city.

He said he expected occupancy rates of about 70 per cent during the first year of operation. "We have many very loyal guests following us. Many corporate business travellers are waiting for Ritz-Carlton to come back," he said.

The chain will also open a new hotel in Krabi, Thailand, later this year, and one in Pudong, Shanghai, in April.

DeCocinis said he was optimistic about the high-end hotel market in the region as economies recovered.

"We know the business in Hong Kong and mainland China is playing very well," he said. "The business travellers are coming back now. And we also expect there will be more leisure travellers as well."

The hotel chain operates 73 hotels around the world and is developing more than 30 new hotels and residential projects.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #6171
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

It won't be the same though.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #6172
[email protected]
Global Citizen

Likes (Received): 6367

Some photos I took last weekend.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
R@ptor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #6173
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

just beautiful . hk needs more supertalls like this beauty.
Old October 30th, 2009, 02:13 AM   #6174
shenzhixian

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinarulez View Post
just beautiful . hk needs more supertalls like this beauty.
Yup, I wonder what the next supertall for HK is going to be after ICC is finished. Hopefully they will buildit right away just as Shanghai did when they started Shanghai Centre right after the completion of SWFC.
shenzhixian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 02:35 AM   #6175
Krattle

With 7 supertalls, more than any city in the world, I don't think they'll be getting too many more of them soon.

Although it would be totally awesome if they did. They need to prevent Dubai from getting the title of most supertalls in one city; that'll probably be impossible, though, considering Dubai is going to have 20 supertalls by 2012.

I think Hong Kong has more *quality* supertalls than Dubai, though. In general I've not been pleased with Dubai architecture, but I love Hong Kong's ICC, IFC, and Bank of China Tower. Just my opinion...

Last edited by Krattle; October 30th, 2009 at 02:45 AM.
Old October 30th, 2009, 02:48 AM   #6176
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

I hope there isn't an oversupply already since there have been.... how many?

3 supertalls build in the last 5 years? Nina Tower, One Island East and ICC. HK builds when there is *real* demand.

But with the land prices the way they are... you never know.

The world record price per sq. foot was recently set in Hong Kong, where Developer Henderson Land Development said it had sold a deluxe duplex in the Mid-Levels district on the lower slopes of the city's exclusive Peak for the equivalent of $9,100 (U.S.) per square foot

In comparison, a London flat by the Thames would fetch £2,000 pounds ($3,200) per square foot, while an apartment overlooking New York's Central Park would go for $4,000 per square foot.

...well a small price to pay for paradise I say!
Old October 30th, 2009, 03:26 AM   #6177
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krattle View Post
With 7 supertalls, more than any city in the world, I don't think they'll be getting too many more of them soon.

Although it would be totally awesome if they did. They need to prevent Dubai from getting the title of most supertalls in one city; that'll probably be impossible, though, considering Dubai is going to have 20 supertalls by 2012.

I think Hong Kong has more *quality* supertalls than Dubai, though. In general I've not been pleased with Dubai architecture, but I love Hong Kong's ICC, IFC, and Bank of China Tower. Just my opinion...
Hong Kong's property market is more or less demand driven, and it's tall buildings are out of necessity - lack of land, more than anything else. This is a different case compared to most cities around the world, which build skyscrapers not because of a lack of land, but the inherent efficiencies brought by sky scrapers once a city reaches a certain size.

Dubai is on the other extreme of the skyscraper spectrum. They have a city of barely 2 million people, and is speculating on future demand when building the skyscrapers. Of course, they claim that many of their flats, etc are bought up already, but I'm not an expert on Dubai, yet I highly doubt the demand for them is actual rather than generated by the rich. I can see them becoming another enclave/winter home for the rich though. It remains to be seem if such a large scale of development can be sustained, though.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 03:34 AM   #6178
quanghuynhchung
CENTRAL - Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 8

Wow! another new born of Hong Kong! It's Topping out!! I love this tower and it is huge!
quanghuynhchung no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 04:16 AM   #6179
Krattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
Hong Kong's property market is more or less demand driven, and it's tall buildings are out of necessity - lack of land, more than anything else. This is a different case compared to most cities around the world, which build skyscrapers not because of a lack of land, but the inherent efficiencies brought by sky scrapers once a city reaches a certain size.

Dubai is on the other extreme of the skyscraper spectrum. They have a city of barely 2 million people, and is speculating on future demand when building the skyscrapers. Of course, they claim that many of their flats, etc are bought up already, but I'm not an expert on Dubai, yet I highly doubt the demand for them is actual rather than generated by the rich. I can see them becoming another enclave/winter home for the rich though. It remains to be seem if such a large scale of development can be sustained, though.
Yeah, this is what I heard about Hong Kong. I remember reading something about how all the land developers in Hong Kong interact so that they know just how much demand there is and they really don't build unless they know they can fill the building. I'm also unsure about Dubai...so many of their buildings target rich people, but how can there be that many rich people in the world who want to move to Dubai?
Old October 30th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #6180
skyscraper03

Likes (Received): 44

Congratulations, a new supertall building for HongKong.
This one is really tall, btw...
skyscraper03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 austin road west, centre, commerce, hong kong, icc, international, kowloon, union square