daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 19th, 2010, 04:33 AM   #6401
fatshe

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninov View Post
Nice capture of the eclipse!
Thank you~
fatshe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #6402
Stevebag

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteek_1976 View Post
i can't believe i'm noticing for the first time that the tower leans inward about halfway up.. hmmm....neat!!!
Oh my goodness you are right. I have always thought the 'leaning in' you refer to is entirely due to the narrowing of the facade as it approaches the top of the tower; the facade itself goes straight up, only the corners are cut into by the narrowing facade; that it looks like the tower 'leans in' only from certain angles, namely looking up from directly below the tower.

Then I drew straight lines on some pictures...

Last edited by Stevebag; January 19th, 2010 at 12:04 PM.
Stevebag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #6403
Stevebag

Last edited by Stevebag; January 19th, 2010 at 12:04 PM. Reason: delete
Stevebag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:14 AM   #6404
Ribarca

Likes (Received): 3270

I didn't post a pic for a while. Hope you like this one from 11 november last year.

image hosted on flickr

Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 04:17 PM   #6405
Aboveday

Likes (Received): 11

ICC Observation Deck to open in fourth quarter of 2010
360-degree view from the city's tallest building
International contest to name new Hong Kong attraction

21 January 2010

The observation deck in International Commerce Centre (ICC) will open in the fourth quarter of 2010. The deck will be on the 100th floor of Hong Kong's tallest building, giving visitors a 360-degree view of the enthralling cityscape. The deck will cost over HK$100 million. The observation deck operator is calling on creative minds around the world to enter an ICC Observation Deck naming contest and come up with a name that reflects the significance of this landmark project. Details of the contest were announced today.

Present for the announcement were SHKP Vice Chairman & Managing Director Raymond Kwok, Hong Kong Tourism Board Chairman James Tien, Sun Hung Kai Real Estate Agency Executive Director Jimmy Wong, ICC Observation Deck General Manager Elaine Tsui, and naming contest judges Ben Au-Yeung, Kan Tai Keung, Lee Kam Hon and Michael Wu.

Many of the world's great cities have observation decks that offer visitors a view from on high. The ICC Observation Deck on the 100th floor will be the highest in Hong Kong and give visitors a 360-degree, mesmerizing view from the center of town at 393 metres above sea level. The beauty of Victoria Harbour in daytime and the lights of the glittering metropolis at night will leave a lasting impression of the vitality of Hong Kong.

The deck will have advanced facilities and innovative multimedia exhibits that showcase Hong Kong's development and unique lifestyle and culture. There will also be a visitor centre with tourist information that will make it an ideal starting point for visitors looking for the best that Hong Kong has to offer. Advanced telescopes and MP5 audio-visual guided tours in four languages will point out local landmarks and surrounding areas. There will be fine restaurants on the 101st floor where patrons can admire the dazzling view while indulging in delectable food and wine.

Raymond Kwok said "Hong Kong is home to SHKP, and in keeping our belief in 'Building Homes with Heart' we are dedicated to building a better Hong Kong and promoting the city's economic advancement. The Kowloon Station development is a key integrated project that will enhance Hong Kong's long-term prosperity. At the heart of the development is ICC – Hong Kong's most prominent landmark. Its observation deck will offer the highest vantage point in Hong Kong allowing visitors a breath-taking panoramic view of the entire city. The opening of the ICC Observation Deck in the fourth quarter of 2010 will give a new impetus to Hong Kong tourism and let visitors experience the energy of this vibrant city. I am confident this landmark development will be a big contribution to Hong Kong."

James Tien said "As the tallest building and latest landmark in Hong Kong – ICC – together with Two ifc on the opposite side of Victoria Harbour, will make Hong Kong's already famous skyline even more stunning than ever. Every year, Hong Kong receives close to 30 million visitors, many of whom are eager to enjoy our spectacular harbour views from various vantage points of the city. The observation deck of ICC, which offers magnificent 360-degree, bird’s eye view of the city up on the 100th floor, as well as a range of facilities, will certainly give visitors a unique experience. Along with the entertainment options in the vicinity of Kowloon Station, visitors can enjoy a different experience of Hong Kong. Upon the opening of the observation deck in the fourth quarter of this year, the HKTB will promote this unique attraction to our visitors."

The Kowloon Station development is a new landmark in Hong Kong featuring commercial, residential, cultural and recreational elements in one location. The observation deck will be a key attraction along with the high-end Elements shopping mall, luxury serviced suites in The HarbourView Place, prestigious residences The Cullinan and The Arch and international Ritz-Carlton and W hotels. The deck will complement the hospitality facilities and the Kowloon Station project, and it is connected to various modes of public transport including the MTR, Airport Express and cross-border and local buses. This accessibility allows visitors to travel conveniently around Hong Kong and across the border.

Naming contest

People around the world are invited to enter a contest to name the ICC Observation Deck. They should apply their creativity and come up with Chinese and / or English names that are emblematic, memorable and evoke Hong Kong's beauty and the world-class ICC. Entries should be submitted by 5 March 2010 via the dedicated web site. The winners will be among the first at the opening of the observation deck and will receive travel packages and admission to other noted observation decks in Shanghai, Taipei and Tokyo. Prizes will include roundtrip air fare for two from Hong Kong and accommodation for two nights. See www.shkp-icc.com/odeck for more information.

ICC Observation Deck

The observation deck will be on the 100th floor of ICC, the tallest building in Hong Kong. At 393 metres above sea level, it will be the highest observation deck in Hong Kong. It will cover around 30,000 square feet and offer 360-degree views of the territory and its famous harbour. It will have multi-media exhibits describing the history and culture of Hong Kong. The deck will be part of the Kowloon Station development, along with grade-A office, a high-end shopping mall, luxury residences and serviced apartments and international hotels. Kowloon Station is Hong Kong's commercial, cultural and transportation hub, and the ICC Observation Deck will complement the hospitality facilities in the area to enhance the experience of visitors to Hong Kong. It is set to open in the fourth quarter of 2010.

SHKP

Sun Hung Kai Properties has had a focused business strategy since it went public in Hong Kong in 1972. The company has a seasoned team of management professionals striving for business success and high standards of corporate governance. Its solid foundation and leadership have made SHKP one of the largest developers in Hong Kong. The company believes in 'Building Homes with Heart', and its trusted reputation for quality products and service has earned high praise from leading local and overseas publications and financial institutions.

- END -

Source:
http://www.shkp.com/en/scripts/news/...?press_id=4043

Related web site
ICC Observation Deck

Last edited by Aboveday; January 21st, 2010 at 04:25 PM.
Aboveday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 05:27 PM   #6406
Ribarca

I can't wait till that deck opens. I will be there a lot!

Old January 21st, 2010, 05:44 PM   #6407
waltwhitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
1/16

amazing pics!

Last edited by waltwhitman; January 21st, 2010 at 10:53 PM.
waltwhitman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:31 PM   #6408
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca View Post
I can't wait till that deck opens. I will be there a lot!
believe me, i'm amoung the first people there!
Old January 21st, 2010, 09:55 PM   #6409
Assemblage23
▄bereinstimmend

Likes (Received): 8098

Too bad the Ob-deck will be located 90 meters below the real height of this supertall.

Wichtige ─nderungen beginnen immer mit ganz neuen Perspektiven.

-
Assemblage23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 10:09 PM   #6410
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Wow, a rare Aboveday sighting!

The observation deck will be spectacular. It will offer the best view of Hong Kong island. Most other free observation decks only face Kowloon from Hong Kong island.

Maybe someone here can think of an interesting name. Hey, you get a free plane trip to Hong Kong.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 10:49 AM   #6411
Ribarca

What about "We are sorry for the smog" as the name. Then again I don't need to win tickets to go to Hong Kong.

Old January 22nd, 2010, 01:16 PM   #6412
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca View Post
What about "We are sorry for the smog" as the name. Then again I don't need to win tickets to go to Hong Kong.
you go on vacation first, and get the flight back to HK for free.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:41 PM   #6413
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17802

1/17

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #6414
mysteek_1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebag View Post
Oh my goodness you are right. I have always thought the 'leaning in' you refer to is entirely due to the narrowing of the facade as it approaches the top of the tower; the facade itself goes straight up, only the corners are cut into by the narrowing facade; that it looks like the tower 'leans in' only from certain angles, namely looking up from directly below the tower.

Then I drew straight lines on some pictures...
I also thought it was the narrowing but then i've looked in many pictures and it seems so subtle that it's almost imperceptable.<hope i spelled that right> Anyone know for sure?
mysteek_1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #6415
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50781

image hosted on flickr
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 05:03 PM   #6416
Wuhy_9

Likes (Received): 20

Amazing, Is it a real photo or photoshoped?
Wuhy_9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #6417
The Terminator

Likes (Received): 7

it's probably a flight simulator lol
The Terminator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #6418
SirAdrian
♥ Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 49

They've come a long way since i last played one, great city detail.
SirAdrian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #6419
BlackLukes

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAdrian View Post
They've come a long way since i last played one, great city detail.
It should be a payware addon.. you don't get that definition for free

Milan StreetView - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
BlackLukes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 01:33 AM   #6420
Cativo

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasis-Bangkok View Post
image hosted on flickr
FSX with FlyTampa Hong Kong Scenery? I should get that.

Tags
1 austin road west, centre, commerce, hong kong, icc, international, kowloon, union square