daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 4th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #1601
Sexas
Whole Other Country
 
Sexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 735
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alweron View Post
Was that some kind of commercial campaign to fly an (new?) Airbus near those towers? That's one hell of a risk to fly there, above the city and near the towers. It's possible those pics have been photoshopped.

The plane looks quite small near the towers.
it is part of the Asian Aerospace 2007, I want to see 787 flying!
__________________
Communication is Inevitable, Irreversible & Unrepeatable. Be Warn!
Sexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #1602
EricIsHim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,397
Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alweron View Post
Was that some kind of commercial campaign to fly an (new?) Airbus near those towers? That's one hell of a risk to fly there, above the city and near the towers. It's possible those pics have been photoshopped.

The plane looks quite small near the towers.
There is no photoshopped; it would have taken days to photoshopped all those pictures.

This is an demonstration flight of the new A380 as part of the the Asian Aerospace 2007 Exhibition opening ceremony currently being held in Hong Kong from Sept 3 through Sept 6. (More information: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=512044)

The flight was monitored by Airbus as well as the Hong Kong Civil Aviation in every aspect. It was planned with aid of computer simulation more than a month ago. The flight was very restricted and to be occurred only if only the weather condition was allowed to provide a safe flight in between towers and mountains. There was suppose to be another (second) demonstration flight again this morning in Hong Kong, but was cancelled due to bad weather.
__________________
EricIsHim
My PhotoBucket
EricIsHim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #1603
vader11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 133
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboveday View Post
Hell yeah,2IFC is only 1m thinner then your favorite skyscraper SWFC.
IMO i think SWFC is thinner than 2IFC because it is taller and the upper part is actually thinner than 2IFC.
vader11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #1604
potipoti
El de los aurones
 
potipoti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madrid
Posts: 8,667
Likes (Received): 13266

those pics are incredible!!!
potipoti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #1605
Skymyhusband
French dwarf
 
Skymyhusband's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,848
Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader11 View Post
IMO i think SWFC is thinner than 2IFC because it is taller and the upper part is actually thinner than 2IFC.
SWFC footprint is a square ~58m and IFC's a square ~57m.

The top is thinner yes, but ~80m wide
Skymyhusband no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #1606
superchan7
EOS 40D
 
superchan7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Jose, CA, USA / Hong Kong, China
Posts: 2,098
Likes (Received): 23

For the skeptics of the A380 pictures, here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdjZO01kRpA
__________________
I speak English / 我講中文 / Ich spreche deutsch / 3y3 5p34k L337
superchan7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #1607
Shenpen
Registered User
 
Shenpen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboveday View Post
These are taken by "progress" @ dchome.net


Could someone pm me ProGReSSī mail addy or pm him mine on dchome.net please?
Shenpen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:32 AM   #1608
vader11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 133
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymyhusband View Post
SWFC footprint is a square ~58m and IFC's a square ~57m.

The top is thinner yes, but ~80m wide
In terms of radio, SWFC would be thinner.
I like 2IFC more than SWFC personally.
vader11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #1609
Skymyhusband
French dwarf
 
Skymyhusband's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,848
Likes (Received): 60

In term of ratio, I think?

Those buildings are not radio masts
Skymyhusband no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #1610
Aboveday
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Unidentified
Posts: 1,177
Likes (Received): 11

Some pics which are taken on the flight by goodman888 from dchome.net.



Aboveday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #1611
Jude12
Architecture Student
 
Jude12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Manila - Sydney - Hong Kong
Posts: 3,074
Likes (Received): 43

2IFC is soo damn big!.
Jude12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #1612
Gattberserk
Smith
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 376
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude12 View Post
2IFC is soo damn big!.
And to actually imagine someone plan to build the 1128m bionic tower there... how amazing it will be if it become real? lol
__________________
WORLD TALLEST STRUCTURE


Kingdom Tower of Jeddah
Gattberserk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 04:27 PM   #1613
_00_deathscar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,047
Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gattberserk View Post
And to actually imagine someone plan to build the 1128m bionic tower there... how amazing it will be if it become real? lol
By 'there' I presume you don't mean on the site of the 2-IFC?

I don't think it'll ever happen (well not for the forseeable future, and not in Hong Kong in any case) - which is a shame.

Also, Hong Kong has a rule whereby building heights may not exceed the mountains nearby - ICC was probably the last supertall of any great height you'll see in Hong Kong for a few years yet (although the Gateway Tower in Wan Chai at 450m would have been prominent, but that proposal crashed)
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #1614
EricIsHim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,397
Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
By 'there' I presume you don't mean on the site of the 2-IFC?

I don't think it'll ever happen (well not for the forseeable future, and not in Hong Kong in any case) - which is a shame.

Also, Hong Kong has a rule whereby building heights may not exceed the mountains nearby - ICC was probably the last supertall of any great height you'll see in Hong Kong for a few years yet (although the Gateway Tower in Wan Chai at 450m would have been prominent, but that proposal crashed)
2IFC for sure is the last one to be that scale in Central area; and OIE is the last one to be that scale in the "supetall" section to be appear on HKI.

There may still be some other "supertall" building in Kowloon, but probably won't be at ICC scale.
__________________
EricIsHim
My PhotoBucket
EricIsHim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #1615
Alweron
Registered User
 
Alweron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 247
Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
Also, Hong Kong has a rule whereby building heights may not exceed the mountains nearby - ICC was probably the last supertall of any great height you'll see in Hong Kong for a few years yet (although the Gateway Tower in Wan Chai at 450m would have been prominent, but that proposal crashed)
Why do they have a rule like that? I don't see any reason for that. And why wouldn't they build more less than 500-meter-high towers, if that's the 'magical limit'? If it's forbidden to build mountain-high towers, why not only a little bit smaller than those are allowed in the future?
Alweron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #1616
SimFox
Registered User
 
SimFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,823
Likes (Received): 441

After 9/11 shots like that really send chill down the spine:
SimFox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #1617
_00_deathscar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,047
Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alweron View Post
Why do they have a rule like that? I don't see any reason for that. And why wouldn't they build more less than 500-meter-high towers, if that's the 'magical limit'? If it's forbidden to build mountain-high towers, why not only a little bit smaller than those are allowed in the future?
So the towers don't overpower what actually makes Hong Kong beautiful - the hills behind it. Perhaps not a main reason (hkskyline can shed light on that), but perhaps a factor regardless.

Where would they build them? There's not much, if any, free space.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #1618
Alweron
Registered User
 
Alweron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 247
Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
So the towers don't overpower what actually makes Hong Kong beautiful - the hills behind it. Perhaps not a main reason (hkskyline can shed light on that), but perhaps a factor regardless.

Where would they build them? There's not much, if any, free space.
Hmm, that's possible. They'll find some space by demolishing some old one or just by spreading towards the mountains (which I doubt. I'm sure they want to keep them intact). Why not also add some height to already existing towers if more space is needed?
Alweron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #1619
vader11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 133
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymyhusband View Post
In term of ratio, I think?

Those buildings are not radio masts
Yes, I mean ratio. That's a typo.
vader11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #1620
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...
 
gladisimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SF, FC, HK
Posts: 2,525
Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alweron View Post
Hmm, that's possible. They'll find some space by demolishing some old one or just by spreading towards the mountains (which I doubt. I'm sure they want to keep them intact). Why not also add some height to already existing towers if more space is needed?
Economics. It's not to say that something like that won't happen, but I imagine costs of renovating or expanding currently existing buildings or demolishing buildings that are sound to build bigger ones is not economically viable.

There are tons of old buildings in HK, especially on the Kowloon side, that await demolishing and redevelopment. Companies can take those chances to add offices there. I imagine HK Islands skyline will not change dramatically in the near future (as it has in the past 40 years).

I do retain the hope that it does, however, I want to see it evolve, tear down the old ones and build new ones!
__________________
I left my <3 in HK

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
1 austin road west, centre, commerce, hong kong, icc, international, kowloon, union square

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu