daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 29th, 2006, 04:33 AM   #181
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Image captured from France3 evening news. This is how the "tour signal" will look from the southwest. Shocking isn't it? Don't worry though, nobody ever looks at La Défense from the southwest. You'd have to be standing in Nanterre town center to have this view. In the middle ground to the right you can see the back of the Grande Arche.

brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2006, 04:35 AM   #182
A.J.

Likes (Received): 0

interesting
A.J. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 04:45 AM   #183
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 507

This tower looks like a christmas ornament gone wrong, or a tower thats just had the top bitten off by godzilla. Not the type of image we should be perpetuating in such an iconic and tall building. Sorry guys, it's beyond foul. I don't like it at all and I think it looks unfinished and deconstructed. Certainly not something I would expect for Paris. It's just to quirky and not very fashionable. I don't know how anyone could call it beautiful, it's thickset, quite fat and just a big unusual chunk. I'd call it cute maybe which means interesting but ugly. I can't believe some of you like it. It will ruin the Paris skyline.

It's one of the most grotesque designs of recent times IMO.

Last edited by Avatar; November 29th, 2006 at 10:22 AM.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 04:46 AM   #184
3tmk
Rusty Robot

Honestly that tower is so weird, and this is even weirder... the top doesn't look similar at all, and where is that smaller structure on the bottom, it seems to be hidden
Old November 29th, 2006, 05:04 AM   #185
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Cat View Post
This is quite an amazing design, reminds me a little of a sea cucumber.

Are Parisians supportive?
I don't know if they are supportive, but they are certainly paying attention. According to one forumer on the French forum, on Tuesday morning at St-Lazare train station (the Paris equivalent of Victoria train station in London or Shinjuku train station in Tokyo) "hundreds of people were riveted" (says he) to the article presenting the tower in "20 minutes", the free commuter newspaper.

On Tuesday night all the major French TV stations talked about the tower in their evening news. The very serious Le Monde newspaper published a full page about the tower on Monday evening.

The world is also paying attention it seems. Media from Australia to England to America are talking about the tower:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...07-663,00.html
http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/...476204854.html
http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/article2021223.ece
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6191132.stm
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nation...kyscraper.html
http://www.forbes.com/business/manufact … 10036.html
Among others...
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 05:22 AM   #186
steph35
piéton

Likes (Received): 1530

(before anything sorry for my english )

i simply like it , the basement, the top, all parts of this tower are
simply unique and so differents that what have been made before in la défense, if that isn't a signal, what is it?

- the basement is enormous, it will be built above 2 levels of roads, above one level of train line, and above a pedestrian area, it will look like a giant bridge

-the tower is compare to a pregnant woman, that's not me saying this, it's the boss of unibail... well why not, one century after the "iron lady", nickname of eiffel tower, we will have the "pregnant lady" in paris... because here in france it's not big dicks that inspire architects, but it's the natural beauty of women ( of course it's a joke ), but it's a real source of inspiration in our history, so why changing this

-the hairy roof that choked many people is (imo) one of the most important part of the signal, it's like a tree that will indefinitely grow up to touch the sky, a signal of the rebirth of la défense, that will never stop to grow, not like in the past, to the max 185 meters tall, but now and in the future an appeal to go higher,...

to finish i find it's a good and a great signal and i'm proud that it take place in my country, in my continent, and finally on our earth!
Old November 29th, 2006, 08:01 AM   #187
archstudent
not student anymore

Likes (Received): 2622

shit! thats architectural masterpiece
archstudent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 08:09 AM   #188
Brendan

Likes (Received): 23

Not bad, not bad at all. Well done Paris.
Brendan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #189
KevinFromTexas
~TexasBlues~

Likes (Received): 6

This thread's already got a lot of info about this building, but I thought I'd add this as well.

From the Austin American-Statesman
http://www.statesman.com/business/co...bizbriefs.html

BUSINESS DIGEST
U.S. architect's design is picked for Paris building.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

PARIS — U.S. architect's design picked for Paris building

Developers selected a design by an award-winning American architect for a bold new building powered partly by the wind.

Dubbed the Lighthouse, the 984-foot-high skyscraper will be designed by Pritzker Prize winner Thom Mayne and erected at La Defense, a complex of office towers in a business district west of Paris where many of France's major corporations are headquartered.

The building is set for completion in 2012.

Rendering:

UNIBAIL-MORPHOSIS
Thom Mayne's design for a 984-foot-high skyscraper will rise over Paris when it is competed in 2012.
KevinFromTexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 11:18 AM   #190
Kartoff

Likes (Received): 0

I don't like the use of "lighthouse" because it's not the right translation of "Phare".
In "Tour Phare", it's an adjective, which should be translated "Key Tower".
Kartoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #191
Cyril
Particle XLR8R

Likes (Received): 4219

I think that Thom Mayne purposedly made a structural parallel with the Eiffel Tower. Those steel feet are quite reminiscent of the Grande Dame's feet, aren't they?
Old November 29th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #192
BMXican

Likes (Received): 5

gawd, what a building

certainly europe's most ambitious skyscraper project - I just love it.
BMXican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 11:37 AM   #193
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

These posts prove my point wrong. People either seem to hate it or love it, a clear sign of a groundbreaking piece of architecture in the making
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #194
JGG
LONDON - Westminster

Likes (Received): 2

I don't understand why people don't like the top, I think it is a fantastic feature. Firstly, it makes the tower look as "perpetually rising, perpetually under construction, reaching for the sky". Secondly, it is something completely innovative compared to any other skyscraper peak, and it remains elegant. Thirdly, wind turbines are not necessarily beautiful or interesting (now that you see them everywhere), so them being hidden (or at least the attention being drawn away from them) by this steel construction is good. Fourthly, it looks a little like a modern interpretation of the ornamental tops of so many catherdral towers.

If I had to rate the differnt parts I would say, the base 10/10 (just unrivalled), the top 8/10 and the middle section 5/10. Why such a low note for the middle section? Firstly because I think these renderings may be a bit misleading. I doubt the cladding will be sufficiently transparent to allow you to see the frame behind it. Secondly, it seems a little akward from certain angles. Thirdly, there are still parts I am not sure about, like this spike on the left elevation (what is this by the way?)

But all in all it looks like a fantastic tower. Now what will be the nickname? It has got to have a name a little more playful than Tour Signal (makes me think of toothpaste) or Tour Phare (too bourgeois). Why not "l'apirateur"? It seems suck up people, no?

Anyway, this tower shows that some Europen cities, Paris and London at the front, have decided not to go the direction of many cities in Asia, the Middle East or even closer to home, Moscow, where all that seems to matter is height. I believe that this new development may erase the Tour Montparnasse stigma in Paris and France, as the Gherkin did for London.

Finally, when constructed, this tower will send a powerful message to the world in that in will contradict the perception of Paris as the "sleeping beauty" or the big "open air museum". I believe the building has all the ingredients of being truely iconic and can be a powerful symbol for the 21st century Paris.
JGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #195
JP

Likes (Received): 14

other proposals will be published during an exhibit organised from 15/01 to 04/02 in la Cité de l'Architecture (Trocadéro), a new museum for now in progress, entirely opened in march 2007.
JP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #196
Galactic Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMXican View Post
gawd, what a building

certainly europe's most ambitious skyscraper project - I just love it.
I think you should take a look at Moscow and maybe you will change your mind. This is certainly not the most ambitious ... It's only of average height and size. I still think the design is revolting regardless of the semantics sprouted in its defence, it appears much like damaged goods and to me the design lacks cohesion.

Last edited by Avatar; November 29th, 2006 at 01:00 PM.
Old November 29th, 2006, 01:19 PM   #197
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar View Post
I think you should take a look at Moscow and maybe you will change your mind. This is certainly not the most ambitious ... It's only of average height and size. I still think the design is revolting regardless of the semantics sprouted in its defence, it appears much like damaged goods and to me the design lacks cohesion.
I'm sorry Avatar. I fully understand that you hate the design, but that building is far more ambitious than anything which is under construction in Moscow.

The only building which could be compared to that one is the Russia Tower, which is twice taller, but its design is a lot less innovative. You may reject it, but not considering it as ambitious is a bit of bad faith.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #198
Galactic Ruler

Sorry I class Russia Tower as far more ambitious ... it's not really a show of bad faith either. Each to their own. I just don't see the merits of this tower.

Mangled blue turd ... comes to mind.

Last edited by Avatar; November 29th, 2006 at 02:53 PM.
Old November 29th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #199
Matthieu
Administrateur

Likes (Received): 5616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartoff View Post
I don't like the use of "lighthouse" because it's not the right translation of "Phare".
In "Tour Phare", it's an adjective, which should be translated "Key Tower".
Yeah, "Phare" here isn't a "lighthouse" but "something that is easily remarquable and take the lead". I assume the newspaper either could not translate it in a single word or that the translator simply sucked with French.
Old November 29th, 2006, 02:06 PM   #200
Bigben838

Likes (Received): 2

I really dislike the top of the building!

Tags
la défense, paris, paris skyscrapers