daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 29th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #201
1LONDONER

Likes (Received): 55

HIDEOUS!
1LONDONER no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #202
3tmk
Rusty Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGG View Post
Anyway, this tower shows that some Europen cities, Paris and London at the front, have decided not to go the direction of many cities in Asia, the Middle East or even closer to home, Moscow, where all that seems to matter is height. I believe that this new development may erase the Tour Montparnasse stigma in Paris and France, as the Gherkin did for London.
Here's the deal, I have always liked the TM, and to be honest, I would rather have a second giant 300m version of the TM than this. Anyplace Anytime
If they wanted a green tower, why did they not build a copy of the BoA tower here in NYC? It's crystallized, that's how every tower should be, not look like some dough being melted.
This is the one tower that needs to be destroyed before it damages the world.
And here's why it doesn't compare with the Eiffel Tower. The tour Eiffel is mostly known for its height, location, and structure.
300 meters in the 19th century, honestly, of course that forces respect. The location, it's around 6 storied buildings, so you can see it everywhere. The structure, the pyramidal shape is always a winner, and in this case it was curved enough to appear part of the skyline.
In this case, it's none at all. That tower may barely touch the 300m limit with its pubic hair. Then the location is in the middle of other towers, so it won't look as majestic as they wish it could, and honestly, it's better that it's in a cluster to try to hide it as much as possible. And last but not least, the structure is hideous, organic heavily curved towers are just a fad that will just die out in a few years but Paris will be stuck with this piece of crap forever.

And don't get me wrong, I love the industrial feel of Beaubourg and it's one of my favorite structures in Paris, but again, it doesn't compare with this morphosis.

The problem is, Parisians have never seen what a real skyscraper should be like, and they'll look at this and like idiots they'll think it's the best thing since sliced butter.
And I can't believe that 3 days after its announcement this tower makes me this mad, I don't think I could ever accept it.
Old November 29th, 2006, 05:28 PM   #203
7t

7t no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 06:50 PM   #204
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

I'm sure the more artistic of you can do a better job but this is my reaction to this design:

Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 06:54 PM   #205
decapitated

Likes (Received): 2098

Ugly, very modern and futuristic and probably cool but ugly.
decapitated no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #206
caw123
Hit the north!

Likes (Received): 3

It's fantastic.

"Manchester is located in the center of Lancashire plain in northwestern England like a big circle theatre."
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #207
bnmaddict

Likes (Received): 21

2 days after it was presented on this thread, this is how this scraper is appreciated:
- Most French forumers like it
- 9 British forumers like it and 16 hate it
- 29 non British or French forumers like it and 8 hate it

Last edited by bnmaddict; November 29th, 2006 at 07:18 PM.
bnmaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:13 PM   #208
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13284

On SSP the majority of people hate it -

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=120901

They have good taste over on that forum.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #209
spenster

Likes (Received): 11

I am from london and I LOVE it. It is one of the most stunning modern structures I have seen. Good for you Paris. And why do you love to mock a fellow european city, you londoners. If you want to mock something try the USA with it's constrant trail of comercial crap from it's music, politics religous nuts and buildings.
spenster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:18 PM   #210
bnmaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002 View Post
On SSP the majority of people hate it -

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=120901

They have good taste over on that forum.
Do you mean that I should put the americans apart from the non-British non-French too?
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #211
InfoAddict
China is back!

Likes (Received): 0

OMY, what the heck is that?I'm ******* loving it! its not architecture, its installation art!
InfoAddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:25 PM   #212
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

There are ALOT of haters on there!
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:36 PM   #213
BenL

Likes (Received): 4

I'm undecided. The bottom of the tower is superb and appears to be one of the best on any skyscraper but at times I think it looks awkward and the stuff on the top is a bit messy. I don't think it's hugely attractive and it looks far less the pinnacle than the Generali tower. That said, it's very original and certainly a step in the right direction for La Defense which needs some inventive, new architecture. A step towards the City of London cluster-style skyscraper design and away from the American skyscraper format of Canary Wharf. Good to see that a truly great historic city is architectually adapting.
BenL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:45 PM   #214
JGG
LONDON - Westminster

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnmaddict View Post
Do you mean that I should put the americans apart from the non-British non-French too?
No, just make a category "anglo-saxons" . Read that thread, and you will realize the British forumers are actually rather kind when it comes to the Tour Signal.

But don't worry, many non-French like the design. I really believe it will grow on people. I think it is a powerful icon for Paris facing the 21st century. And at least it does not leave people indifferent, either you love it or you hate it.

By the way, nobody has yet been able to give me any insight on what that spike is in the middle of the tower on the left elevation. Do you know?
JGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:47 PM   #215
jef

Likes (Received): 5

I do not like it. The design is just poor an unaesthetic. With Generali, Paris has proposed the two worst new skyscrapers I've seen recently. Therefore I would like to know what the other proposals are.

PS: I am not a Brit.
jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:51 PM   #216
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenL View Post
A step towards the City of London cluster-style skyscraper design and away from the American skyscraper format of Canary Wharf.
I know you were talking about style, but still, La D?fense has 11 towers above 150 meters, whereas the City of London has only 2 (Swiss Re and Natwest). Let's keep a sense of proportion here.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:57 PM   #217
bnmaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef View Post
I do not like it. The design is just poor an unaesthetic. With Generali, Paris has proposed the two worst new skyscrapers I've seen recently. Therefore I would like to know what the other proposals are.

PS: I am not a Brit.
Actually, I was hesitating so I didn't count you among the British nor the non-British... In fact, I didn't took your appreciation into account, Jef.
Old November 29th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #218
JGG
LONDON - Westminster

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
I know you were talking about style, but still, La D?fense has 11 towers above 150 meters, whereas the City of London has only 2 (Swiss Re and Natwest). Let's keep a sense of proportion here.
BenL was not talking about who has the most or the biggest, he was talking about the style. And I agree with him that the Tour Signal sets on uniqueness and originality, as for instance the Gherkin, rather than on the American square box model. The problem of skyscrapers in Paris and particularly LD until recently has been that none of them were really outstanding. No surprise maybe with the competition of the Eiffel Tower, but the current recladding of some of the towers and an iconic Tour Signal will completely modify LD.
JGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 08:24 PM   #219
jef

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnmaddict View Post
I didn't count you among the British nor the non-British
I am something hybrid indeed as I am fluent in English, French, Flemish/Dutch, and German in addition to some local dialects. But who cares about our ethnic group ? . Re. Signal, I would have preferred something derived from e.g. Granite or T1.
jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 08:34 PM   #220
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1355

I don't have a problem with the top. It is different than other tops.
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
la défense, paris, paris skyscrapers