daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 30th, 2006, 12:56 AM   #281
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

from that view it does look about 140m compared to T42...

Anyway, back to the Tour Signal this discussion is getting seriously side tracked lol
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2006, 12:56 AM   #282
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Densaga View Post
Lol , and what about your walkie talkie ?
See this thread for my views on that. I've made it very clear how much I detest 20 Fenchurch Street. To me, it's the most inappropriate proposal in Europe, much worse than your Tour Signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
not again pleaaaaaaaassse. As a moderator you should NOT behave this way.
Oh, I see... so I'm not allowed to create renderings or express my opinion on a piece of architecture because I'm a moderator. Well, since you're all so incapable of taking any criticism, I'll stay out of this thread. You're welcome to that ridiculous tower.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 12:59 AM   #283
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

There is nothing wrong with Will's behaviour in this thread, or anywhere TBH. He is allowed to show how the building would look in another skyline for comparison, it is all part of the debate. I find seeign towers in different locations interesting and good for assesing impact on a wider scale
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 01:02 AM   #284
volare
Jetsetter

Location: santiago cl - hermosillo, mx - santa barbara ca -denver, co (por un tiempo)
Likes (Received): 3

Looking good, congrats to Paris and the french people!
Old November 30th, 2006, 01:14 AM   #285
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Re: height (in answer to 3tmk), there is new information on the French forum, but people are posting messages so quickly here that I haven't had time to talk about it yet, plus true information is soon lost in a sea of messages.

So, let's bold things a bit to make it more solemn.

News about the tower's height:

According to recent developments on the French forum, it seems the tower will be definitely taller than 300 meters, and in fact I reckon it should be around 320 meters (give or take a few meters)!!!

Several French forumers looked at the renders and models carefully (the ones shown on French TV evening news), and it appears the tower will have between 71 and 75 floors (most probably 75). This means that roof height should be around 300 meters. Don't forget, however, that the "tour signal" will be built on a concrete slab which is itself 10 to 20 meters above the natural soil (I think it's closer to 20 meters than to 10 meters). So including the hair and the concrete slab, we get a height around 320 meters if not a little bit more.

As I said earlier, we'll probably know the exact height only when the building permit is issued, but from what I've read on the French forum it looks promissing. It's stange though that they didn't focus their PR on "the tallest tower of western Europe". Probably this is because French people are adverse to tall buildings, so they prefer to remain elusive about the actual height.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 01:18 AM   #286
Cyril
Particle XLR8R

Likes (Received): 4220

French Unibail CEO said the tower would be one of the tallest of "continental Europe", which is rather weird because London's 2 supertalls will be around 300m as well.
Old November 30th, 2006, 01:23 AM   #287
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
French Unibail CEO said the tower would be one of the tallest of "continental Europe", which is rather weird because London's 2 supertalls will be around 300m as well.
Like I said, in London or Moscow developers and politicians do their best to hype their towers, in Paris it's the opposite. Go figure!

If this tower had been announced in London, Ken Livingstone would have rushed to the media and said that this iconic, vibrant, bla bla bla tower will be the TALLEST tower of Europe (forget Russia) and is a shining example of London's whatever whatever. In Paris the mayor's office released a statement yesterday saying they are unhappy with the building of new towers in La D?fense, period. Sigh...

Last edited by brisavoine; November 30th, 2006 at 01:32 AM.
Old November 30th, 2006, 01:23 AM   #288
eklips

Likes (Received): 5026

Too bad the Generali tower will hide part of it from the champs elys?es...
eklips no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 01:42 AM   #289
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual View Post
Too bad the Generali tower will hide part of it from the champs elys?es...
Well, the Arc de Triomphe is built at the top of a hill, hence at street level on the Champs-Elysees I'm not sure we would see any tower at all actuallly.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 01:46 AM   #290
Chrispic

Likes (Received): 513

Lol, the war between French and English, between those which love this tower and those which hate it!

For my part, I was disappointed enough in my initial reaction, hot, but now, I appreciate it more and more, I would even say that I love it To say that this tower is ugly, it's exaggerated.

IMO, Phare represents the tower of anticipation, that of the years 2030/2050, who is super class, who is connected to all and everything, who rises in the sky... She looks like the city of Atlantis (Stargate) or the architecture of Alderaan (Star Wars).

Well, a very unique tower, can't wait to be in 2012...
Old November 30th, 2006, 01:47 AM   #291
JP

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tmk View Post
exactly, it's all because the media decided to pay attention to it. They would have done the same thing to any other tower that would have won the Phare competition, it's all good PR from EPAD.
And they've decided to brainwash the people with this monstrosity and make them think that it's beautiful and original and interesting and something to be proud of, while the whole world is watching in disgust.
Once they manage to get the Parisians to think of it as part of their city, they'll defend it with tooth and nail, even though deep down they know it's nothing more than a big piece of molten poo.

But it seems to me like they are trying to avoid talking about Generali, also I am worried that EPAD will force Generali to downsize their tower, because I think it will look more imposing, higher, and eventually be a real signal for LD, and they're probably jealous they couldn't do it, even with all the marketing stint they're trying to pull off

I don't think so. A part is true. Because of communication any project would have so much sense as Mayne's proposal. But I think that form give something more. It's a mix of two mains current of Architecture with deconstructivist forms (the base) and organic ones. It's something until now unseen in such dimension... so...
JP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 01:50 AM   #292
Henry_W

Likes (Received): 0

Hello all this is my first post

Umm I think the design is great! Its always nice to see high profile environmentally friendly buildings going up.

I know some people may think that the design is a bit crazy, but that makes it even more iconic for the Parisian skyline- looking forward to hearing more about it!
Henry_W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 01:56 AM   #293
Matthieu
Administrateur

Likes (Received): 5617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry_W View Post
Hello all this is my first post

Umm I think the design is great! Its always nice to see high profile environmentally friendly buildings going up.

I know some people may think that the design is a bit crazy, but that makes it even more iconic for the Parisian skyline- looking forward to hearing more about it!
Welcome to the last battleground of the Conquest and the Hundred Years' War .
Old November 30th, 2006, 02:05 AM   #294
3tmk
Rusty Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
Re: height (in answer to 3tmk), there is new information on the French forum, but people are posting messages so quickly here that I haven't had time to talk about it yet, plus true information is soon lost in a sea of messages.
That's what I wonder, because on that diagram with the Eiffel Tower, I don't think the height is counted from the ground, but from the dalle... who knows, we don't have an official height yet, it's just around 1000 feet, around 300 meters...

JP, exactly, it's nothing original than pieces and parts of other towers put together.
I understand it is original to make this mix of deconstructionist and organic architecture, and it just so happens that those are the two styles I tend to dislike, but had this architect had some talent, he could have used the best of the two, instead we got the worst of the two, and this is important: IMO
But the problem is, if they wanted it to be a real signal, it should be a signal that most people could see and immediately recognize, instead many people see it and wonder "what the hell were they thinking?", then say it's nice because it's a big tower.
But this is the one tower that I wish could never be built, and I am part of the few who do not dislike the Genex. Tells you how much this pushes my buttons
Old November 30th, 2006, 02:14 AM   #295
JP

they don't recognize it now, but further? Do you think Eiffel Tower was in 1888, before its construction recognized as we do it for now, in 2006? and what about Beaubourg? about Swiss Re?
Why we should build something recognizable at present and not for tomorrow? It's a bet for sure... that much more exciting than to apply our current aestetical values.
Old November 30th, 2006, 02:16 AM   #296
Matthieu
Administrateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
and what about Beaubourg?
I don't like it, not everything that's original is beautiful. Beaubourg is probably my most disliked modern structure along the Millenium Dome.
Old November 30th, 2006, 02:23 AM   #297
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tmk View Post
But the problem is, if they wanted it to be a real signal, it should be a signal that most people could see and immediately recognize, instead many people see it and wonder "what the hell were they thinking?", then say it's nice because it's a big tower.
You're focussing way too much on this Thom Mayne's tower. This is just an appetizer. The main course will come after the presidential election next May when Jacques Chirac leaves office and they can finally launch the long-awaited 400 meters tower to the left of the Grand Arche. On the renderings issued by La D?fense Authority (EPAD), the tallest skyscraper has always been to the left of the Grande Arche (i.e. opposite Thom Mayne's tower).

Last edited by brisavoine; November 30th, 2006 at 02:34 AM.
Old November 30th, 2006, 02:33 AM   #298
Matthieu
Administrateur

Resurrect the Tour Sans Fins who gives a toss if it's a old design? It's just damn good.
Old November 30th, 2006, 02:44 AM   #299
JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthieu View Post
I don't like it, not everything that's original is beautiful. Beaubourg is probably my most disliked modern structure along the Millenium Dome.
Did I say it?

I never told about beauty. It's a fact of taste. Red is not more beautiful than yellow. It's only your opinion. You can share it, but anybody won't discuss it. Too many people here are just trying to change mind and taste. If Beaubourg is ugly, it's up to you,but it can't be a truth.
When I refer to Beaubourg, I only mean the role of this building in history of Architecture, the unanimous recognition.
Recognition doest signify the recognition of its beauty...
Old November 30th, 2006, 02:53 AM   #300
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
Any nickname yet?
The bulb?
The fat lady exhibiting it?s right steel frame leg to shock and not to please ?
The outrageous curvilinear marmite?
The standing top of the range potato?
The Mixed bean?
The liquifying pot pourri?
The Blue Turd!

Tags
la défense, paris, paris skyscrapers