daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 2nd, 2006, 11:56 PM   #381
Joey313
JOEY

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscraperkid2K4 View Post
It really is one of the most ugliest i've ever seen
me too but in a way it looks nice needs to be fixed

If a tidal wave hits L.A just grab a fake boob for safety.
Joey313 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2006, 12:37 AM   #382
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tmk View Post
It's amazing how a lot of the french forumers say this building is beautiful and the greatest of all, for the sole reason that it won the competition and is unfortunately going to be approved and built
I am willing to bet that ANY tower that would have won the competition would have had the absolute same remarks from both the french forumers lauding it, since they know this is the only chance of getting a tower that barely scrapes the 300m limit, so in fact is not a supertall, and the rest of the forumers from a certain island would, if not all but at least a good portion of them say this tower is ugly.
And that, no matter what tower was chosen.
It's a shame that people protect this tower for the only reason that it's going to be built, and they have realized that like it or not they will be stuck with it.
And deep down, you all hate it, there is no way somebody could wish to have this horror built, not even the fiercest francophobe could wish this plight onto LD.
Again, no matter which of the 10 towers in the competition won the prize, people would still say it's the best thing ever for LD, that is gives out a positive message, and invent themselves how the message it gives out is perfect for LD, and that whole load of bullocks, there's no need to make excuses that people would like it in the long run. But obviously people would, it's because humans are adaptable, you could smell a piece of shit for a whole day and in the end think it's better than roses. But it all comes down to the initial reaction, and that is, "WTF is this crap and how doped up were the people who built it."
This nonsense will scourge LD. Except for the north side, which is amazing, but the south side is among the worst pieces of architecture in the whole world, and I include Genex and all other brutalist buildings in the list
It must be something like your 20th message saying that this tower is aweful, crap, bla bla bla. Your point of view is full well known by now. No need to tell us each and every day that you don't like this tower. And don't interpret what other people think. Thank you.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 12:52 AM   #383
kony

Likes (Received): 1241

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
It must be something like your 20th message saying that this tower is aweful, crap, bla bla bla. Your point of view is full well known by now. No need to tell us each and every day that you don't like this tower. And don't interpret what other people think. Thank you.

Thank you !

i was about to let him know. It's getting tiring to get the same song each and every day, with the same basic arguments over and over...

and I say that knowing i don't like the tower much myself !!
kony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 12:59 AM   #384
3tmk
Rusty Robot

Well somebody needs to keep repeating this otherwise people would start believing those who think this tower is great
Old December 3rd, 2006, 01:05 AM   #385
Cyril
Particle XLR8R

Likes (Received): 4220

It's just a matter of taste. You don't have to force anyone to like or loathe this project. End of the story.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 01:15 AM   #386
3tmk
Rusty Robot

I am not coercing anyone, I am just countering those who argue it's a magnificient non-tower (I do like your term, it fits perfectly), to persuade people this is not as revolutionary as some make it to be, it's just a boring lowrise that's been made a tad bit higher than it should be.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 01:17 AM   #387
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tmk View Post
I am not coercing anyone, I am just countering those who argue it's a magnificient non-tower (I do like your term, it fits perfectly), to persuade people this is not as revolutionary as some make it to be, it's just a boring lowrise that's been made a tad bit higher than it should be.
21st "this tower is crap" message.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 01:21 AM   #388
3tmk
Rusty Robot

aha, but I did not say that this time
Old December 3rd, 2006, 06:11 AM   #389
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1355

This building is far from being boring. Otherwise we wouldn't have a heated discussion about it. Everybody has understood already that this building is not your taste. And what qualifies you about telling other people what's beautyful and what's not? And how can you say that this is the ugliest tower in the world and everybody will hate it, when actually there are many people who like it?

Regarding the back of the building: I think it is ugly. They should modify it (apply more cladding like the rest of the tower). But in general I still think it is a beautyful, unusual (and interesting) tower.
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 06:18 AM   #390
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 507

LOL I am with 3tmk. It's one of the most vile things i have seen. Fixing the back wont cut it, it's like a vomit from every angle.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 07:44 AM   #391
3tmk
Rusty Robot

I am not coercing anyone into believing my views, it's up to everyone to love or hate.
But I am just giving people some pointers, in case they're confused, and can be easily manipulated
Old December 3rd, 2006, 08:07 AM   #392
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 507

I think alot have doned rose-coloured glasses and are blind to the truth in this instance. I know taste is a personal thing, but since when was a blob considered aesthetically pleasing? This thing aint even tacky, it's just grotesque.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 08:12 AM   #393
3tmk
Rusty Robot

The problem is, people are embracing the tower's unaestheticity and saying it is a good thing.
Go figure
Old December 3rd, 2006, 10:42 AM   #394
Good

Likes (Received): 595

@3tmk: Your reactions are childish. You want the tour Phare to be exactly like the tower you had imagined in your dream: a glassy copy paste of American skyscrapers. Can you understand that some people, including me, would have been VERY disppointed if the tower chosen would have been just a soaring pyramid/cylinder/box that you can see growing everywhere in the world? No thanks, Paris deserves something groundbreaking, I dont care about putting one more "real and conservative skyscraper" in Paris.

And I dont have rose-coloured glasses. Do you know that some people still hate the Pompidou center, and would have prefered a classy, elegant, glassy low-rise instead of this couloured and shocking factory? Interestingly, these people use the same "arguments" as you: a museum should be like this and like that, the Pompidou center is ugly and doesn't look like anything, why in other cities do they build discrete and elegant buildings and why do we have to accept this refinery, blablabla. Should we destroy it?
The same goes about the Eiffel Tower. I know people that still dont like it, it doesn't fit in Paris to them, and the shape and materials are "weird". Should we destroy it (as a lot of people in the 1900's would have loved actually...)?

Of course not: these two buildings have shaken the ideas people had about museums and metallic structures. The Morphosis tower will shake the ideas people have about skyscrapers: no a skyscraper is not necessarily a vertical, soaring, arrogant, agressive tower! you can scrap the sky in so many different ways!!!

And no need to speak about beauty, elegance or esthetical criteria in general: all this is subjective, and has been for long criticized and attacked by the concepts of modern and contemporary art along the 20th century.
So wake up, and stop dreaming about 1930's or even 1990's skyscrapers in La Défense: the Morphosis tower makes us enter into the 21th century.

PS And stop telling people they have rose-couloured glasses, I can think by myself and form my own opinion about this tower, I dont need to be treated like a child or an easily manipulated person as you seem to infer, thank you.
Good no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 12:48 PM   #395
eklips

Likes (Received): 5030

Exactly Good
eklips no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 02:47 PM   #396
JBCousin

Likes (Received): 4

This tower is really original, it is different from all others. I love !
Congratulations to Paris !
JBCousin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 03:24 PM   #397
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good View Post
you can scrap the sky in so many different ways!!!
Well, better scrape the sky than scrap it. LOL
Old December 3rd, 2006, 05:19 PM   #398
3tmk
Rusty Robot

Goody Good, I don't mind this tower, however what I do mind is the fact that it's supposed to be, first of all, 300m tall, second of all the new symbol of LD, and third of all, has had so much publicity to convince people that it's magnificient. You tell me that I am childish, but what about the publicity made all over the medias where they spread the Unibail propaganda, to convince exactly those easily manipulated people who, in the end, don't know much about skyscrapers, and just because PPDA said it will be a new landmark they'll all believe him.
I am just countering them. And it's not because it's new that it's good.
Many people liked the idea of fascism when it came out, luckily a few people had the balls to say it like it is, instead of following the trend (I know it's a stupid example but at least it gives you an idea of the situation).

Again, people call it groundbreaking, I don't think so. It is just a poorly made mix. Organic and deconstructism can work together, but Mayne doesn't know how to do it and keep the tower beautiful. You can give it all the meanings in the world, but in the end it's physical beauty that counts, don't believe all that crap about inner beauty and say the tower has personality. Because Josiane Balasko can have a lot of personality but you will never be attracted to her. In the world of architecture, it is only when both mix that it works. Of course it comes down to taste, but when even I, who champions diversity and have a very broad range, cannot digest this nontower as the new symbol of LD, it tells you that this will never work.
On the other hand, if you people still want to send a message that you're queer you're here and you want to be heard, then why not make this a lowrise, or some midrise, put in some corner of LD, and not have to ruin the towers around it.
There are two kinds of ugly and bad. The kind that just brings out the beauty in average towers, or the kind that just brings down everything else around it. This is the second kind. Its fat ass would hide other interesting towers like Framatome, Total or the Grande Arche.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 05:36 PM   #399
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

How about you let other people like what they want. You have your opinions, we have ours.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 05:36 PM   #400
Jamandell (d69)
Skyscraperholic

Likes (Received): 229

I agree with 3tmk
Jamandell (d69) no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
la défense, paris, paris skyscrapers