daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 4th, 2006, 09:30 PM   #441
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Well, to be honnest, I'm not sure that a less imaginary feeling, a more accurately-designed "head", would have really been of a great taste in the middle of LD...

Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #442
Cyril
Particle XLR8R

Likes (Received): 4219

It can look like this too..

Old December 4th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #443
thoju75
DAMNED

Likes (Received): 3

You begin to be boring 3tmk...
I read this thread since its beginning and the only thing we can remember is how you hate this tower. That's ok but why not giving us more constructives argues to have a real discussion with the other forumers?
thoju75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 05:36 AM   #444
some_stupid_nut

Likes (Received): 3

I remember hearing that the reason Paris doesnt have more tall skyscrapers was because of one mess of one when they started. I dont remember which one they were referencing. I dont see how this is going to kickstart the building of skyscrapers in Paris again. It will probably do the opposite; make them more dislike skyscrapers.

I dont like this tower, but I have to admit, I like the base. I like how it seems to integrate the plaza into the tower.
Old December 5th, 2006, 05:45 AM   #445
tanzirian

Likes (Received): 491

Not an example of French good taste.

Given me Tour Sans Fin any day.
tanzirian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 06:05 AM   #446
Danzin
Danielz - xdanielz

Likes (Received): 16

Nice project!!!
Danzin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 12:52 PM   #447
Metropolitan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_stupid_nut View Post
I remember hearing that the reason Paris doesnt have more tall skyscrapers was because of one mess of one when they started. I dont remember which one they were referencing. I dont see how this is going to kickstart the building of skyscrapers in Paris again. It will probably do the opposite; make them more dislike skyscrapers.

I dont like this tower, but I have to admit, I like the base. I like how it seems to integrate the plaza into the tower.
Well, I know Paris is an administrative mess, but I'll try to explain things this way: Let's imagine that NYC is only Manhattan, and that each of the outer boroughs are divided in 40 fully independent municipalities. Well, that's exactly the way Paris is organized.

When we say that we don't build skyscrapers in Paris, we talk about the very core of the city (a bit like Manhattan for New York). However, there's a large skyscrapers district which developps since the 60's right at the border with the city (to continue with my analogy, let's say at the entrance of Brooklyn from Manhattan). That skyscrapers district is not the tallest in height, but it's by far the largest concentration of skyscrapers in Europe.

In a small area representing less than 1 square-mile, we can find currently over there 12 buildings above 150 m and 38 buildings above 100 m. Two other skyscrapers of 180 m are currently under construction, and many towers from 200 m to 300 m are approved. However, that small area isn't located in Paris, but is built at the borders of three municipalities known as Puteaux, Courbevoie and Nanterre (each being very small in area, the average municipality in the Paris area represents 2 square-miles, there are 400 of them in the contiguously built-up area).

Here is a picture (not the prettiest but whatever) of the district nowadays:

And here's a rendering on which have been added all the approved projects (there are more to come):

Old December 5th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #448
JGG
LONDON - Westminster

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
It can look like this too..

JGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 09:43 PM   #449
Metropolitan
BANNED

Here is a picture of Morphosis location site in 1961 after the construction of the CNIT. Apparently, the suburban rails which are below Morphosis are built on a viaduct, they aren't underground ! Actually, the esplanade is built above the railway viaduct, making it "feel" underground.

The land in this area is a real mess, with highways, suburban lines, RER lines and metro lines everywhere. It's amazing to build a tower above all this. The architect decided to partially uncover the suburban rails so that we could see trains getting through below the feet of the tower. This will undoubtedly be impressive.

Old December 5th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #450
Matthieu
Administrateur

Likes (Received): 5617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitan View Post
Here is a picture of Morphosis location site in 1961 after the construction of the CNIT. Apparently, the suburban rails which are below Morphosis are built on a viaduct, they aren't underground ! Actually, the esplanade is built above the railway viaduct, making it "feel" underground.

The land in this area is a real mess, with highways, suburban lines, RER lines and metro lines everywhere. It's amazing to build a tower above all this. The architect decided to partially uncover the suburban rails so that we could see trains getting through below the feet of the tower. This will undoubtedly be impressive.
I like this idea a lot.
Old December 5th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #451
dom

Likes (Received): 9

Paris deserves better than this. They should build the Tour Sans Fin that was cancelled in the mid-90s instead. A shocker.
dom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 10:06 PM   #452
Fabb

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the design will change eventually.
Are you sure or are you hoping ?
Sounds like the latter.

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; June 13th, 2007 at 12:28 AM.
Fabb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #453
Betrayer
te extraño Valparaíso

Likes (Received): 206

c'est très different, mais je l'aime....c'est super
Betrayer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 12:05 AM   #454
Metropolitan
BANNED

I'm sorry Fabb, my question was more innocent than you assume it was. I'm really sorry if I offended you.

Remember that all that story about that tower isn't that serious after all.
Old December 6th, 2006, 01:02 AM   #455
Thorstein

Likes (Received): 0

I don't want to add anything else, except that I like this architecture too. Its curbs remind me of those we can find on Chrysler Building. It is very sensual, actually. Very personnal feeling.

The best render would be in 3D, so that we can see the real impact of this tower on La Defense's skyline.
Thorstein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 01:21 AM   #456
3tmk
Rusty Robot

thoju, if you look back at my 50 messages, you can see that I explain in almost all of them, in a new way, what I think of the tower. On the other hand very few people have said why they like it.

Now I apologize for overemphasizing my point, but behind the substance, my messages were a show for exactly the people who keep saying how great this tower is without trying to acknowledge its flaws, not only as a tower, but also in its environment.
But once again, I have never coerced somebody into disliking the tower, I am just presenting my view, albeit it might be done ad-nauseum, but it is important for visitors to be presented with a counterpoint to all the optimism around here
Old December 6th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #457
eusebius
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Ha, 3tmk, you might be the last person to apologize. I like this design pretty much for the reasons that you object to it.

It's like a Mrs Koolhaas design to me.
eusebius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 04:13 PM   #458
Cyril
Particle XLR8R

Likes (Received): 4219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
Are you sure or are you hoping ?
Sounds like the latter.
The design WILL surely slightly evolve/change imo. On the whole the building will remain what we can see now but some details are likely to change (the top hairstyle for instance).
You all should bear in mind that the project is "at schematic design" level, which makes me think that some further (even minor) updates will come later. The construction of the building is due to begin in 2009. So it's 2 more years on the drawing boards. Something fairly different is bound to come out of it. Don't you think so?
Old December 6th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #459
eusebius
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Will the construction allow for changes to be made to the top after its completion?

I wouldn't be surprised that after 10 years, 'they' will come to the notion that windmills aren't really a good idea and solar panels will be tried.

and then, another ten years later, the latest 'truc écolo' will be installed.
eusebius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #460
Metropolitan
BANNED

Quote:
The design WILL surely slightly evolve/change imo. On the whole the building will remain what we can see now but some details are likely to change (the top hairstyle for instance).
You all should bear in mind that the project is "at schematic design" level, which makes me think that some further (even minor) updates will come later. The construction of the building is due to begin in 2009. So it's 2 more years on the drawing boards. Something failrly different is bound to come out of it. Don't you think so?
True. I just want to emphasize what you have already said, which is that the changes should remain minor.

The building will remain the same, over all. Otherwise, there's no point in organizing a contest to determine a winning design. Personally, I'm not sure I would actually like it to evolve much, I like it that way... and I would bet that in front of it, once built, people will like it more than in looking at a paper sketch.

Tags
la défense, paris, paris skyscrapers