daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 15th, 2006, 07:46 PM   #481
jef

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
The article confirms that the tower will be 300m high ... It will probably be only a matter of meters between the Generali Tower and the tour Phare to get the title of tallest western European skyscraper.
In Western Europe the tallest will be Shard London Bridge: 306m+4m spire.
In Europe, the tallest will be in Russia.

Re. Unibail, I reckon they will go ahead spec.
jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #482
BMXican

Likes (Received): 5

in western europe the tallest will be tour generali with 318m.

(but no one cares about the tallest in western europe. what counts is the tallest in europe....)
BMXican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #483
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Some news about the tower in the New York Times.
Quote:
A Defiant Architect’s Gentler Side

By ROBIN POGREBIN
The New York Times
Published: December 19, 2006

LOS ANGELES — Can it be that Thom Mayne, the architect of confrontation, has gone soft?

His acclaimed design for Paris’s tallest office building, chosen on Dec. 1, is an elegant silhouette draped in a diaphanous skin, a far cry from the sharp corners, violent eruptions and fragmented forms that led some to call him the architect of dislocation.

“I’ve shown a softer side; my wife is really teasing me,” Mr. Mayne, 62, said in an interview at Morphosis, his firm in Santa Monica. “The sensuousness of Paris found its way into the project.”

He likened the building, the Phare Tower, to a “layered dress” or a woman’s slip. “The skin becomes primary, the body secondary,” Mr. Mayne said. “It becomes metabolic, the skin. It moves.”

The centerpiece of a rethinking of La Défense, a coldly received office district on Paris’s western outskirts, his eco-friendly tower seems to rise organically from its base, sloping gently upward before peaking in delicate fragments that will serve as wind turbines.

Mr. Mayne triumphed over some of the hottest architects in the world in this competition: Jacques Herzog and Pierre de Meuron; Rem Koolhaas and Jean Nouvel. In The New York Times, Nicolai Ouroussoff commended the choice, calling the tower “a work of sparkling originality that wrestles thoughtfully with the urban conflicts of the city’s postwar years.”

Mr. Mayne said the building was still a work in progress; he spent only three months on his design entry before submitting it. While the surface is currently perforated stainless steel, for example, he said it might be something else entirely by the time he is finished. He said he had enlisted a fashion photographer to shoot the site over an extended period, photographing it at different times as he revolved around it, so Mr. Mayne can get a sense of how the light shifts throughout the day and seasons.

“I’m not sure what will happen,” he said of the design, speaking with his usual intensity.

“I produce something, attack it, it moves, it changes, it responds to the nature of that critique,” he continued. “It happens reiteratively till we’ve exhausted the idea. Then it’s complete, it’s done. I’m not done. I just started.”

While his forms may have changed then, his methodology apparently remains consistent: He breaks things down before figuring out how to put them together; he upends traditional expectations. For his hulking Caltrans District 7 headquarters in Los Angeles, housing the state agency that oversees the city’s freeway system, Mr. Mayne rejected the downtown area’s standard towers and plazas in favor of a vast urban lobby carved through its core. To eerie effect, he created a perforated metal facade whose mechanized panels open and close, transforming the structure’s highly animated face as day gives way to night.

At the Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art in Manhattan, where he designed a new engineering school and art studios, Mr. Mayne defiantly played off the ponderous 19th-century Foundation Building across the street, creating a hivelike glass atrium in which students can be viewed crossing back and forth between labs and studios.

Last year when he captured the Pritzker Prize, the profession’s Nobel, he was saluted for carrying the rebellious spirit of the 1960s and a “fervent desire for change” into his practice, “the fruits of which are only now becoming visible in a group of large-scale projects.”

Of course there are always the commissions that got away, like the redesign of Rutgers University’s flagship campus in New Brunswick, N.J. (Enrique Norten won last week), and the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in Manhattan, to be designed by Richard Rogers.

Perhaps most stingingly, Mr. Mayne was dumped (his term) last year, in his own backyard, from the ambitious Grand Avenue project, a retail-commercial development by the Related Companies in downtown Los Angeles. (He was replaced by Frank Gehry.)

In response to such setbacks, Mr. Mayne is preparing to open a New York office so he can physically be more front and center for potential clients. (He said he also plans to split time between there and Los Angeles.) And despite his brash reputation, Mr. Mayne said he has long since realized that diplomacy is a requirement.

He said: “Do I provoke as a method of investigation? Of course. That’s the essence of architecture. Do I do it with gusto? I do. At the same time, do I listen? My clients would tell you I’m a farm boy from Tipton, Ind.” (Born in Waterbury, Conn., he moved to Tipton as an infant.)

“I enjoy working with people,” he said. “I understand that as a necessity. And clearly that’s something that develops as you get older. And I’ve grown into that.”

Still, that role has been something of an adjustment for an architect who founded Morphosis in 1972 in opposition to the typical forms of contemporary architecture, which in his view failed to address the dislocations in modern society. The same year, he helped found the Southern California Institute of Architecture, with the goal of fostering critical thinking about the profession.

“I have an image of myself — drawing, provoking, conceptualizing,” he said. ”I’m in some sort of space between the investigative world of academia and the world of architecture. All of a sudden now I’m in a position of authority.”

But Mr. Mayne worked with what some might consider one of the most conservative clients of all: the United States government. He designed three projects under the General Services Administration’s program to promote “design excellence” in architecture, including a federal office building in San Francisco; a federal courthouse in Eugene, Ore.; and a satellite station for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration outside Washington.

“Obviously, those are buildings that require negotiation,” he said. “I couldn’t be too bad.”

Mr. Mayne said he had to parse even the smallest detail on these projects, though he had come to accept such detailed back-and-forth as routine. With the courthouse, for example, he spent an inordinate amount of time on the perforated metal privacy panels that attach to the judge’s benches.

“We had probably four meetings on the color, the height, the diameter,” Mr. Mayne said. “Multiply that times a thousand, and that’s what the project was.”

“It’s called maturity, I guess,” he added. “It’s not facility because you’re probably born with facility. You’re increasing your accessibility to options.”

As the options have multiplied, so has his workload; Mr. Mayne continues to log long hours with no respite in sight. “In architecture you arrive so late,” he reflected. “I look at doctors, lawyers I know, and they’re all buying boats and bailing out at 62. My career is just getting started.”

He and his wife of 25 years, Blythe, are not intent on amassing creature comforts: they live in the same 1,400-square-foot house where they raised their children, now 23 and 19.

“Now that I’m making money, I don’t want anything,” he said. “The part that changes is, I’m building an institution. I’m institutionalizing my studio and building a sophistication.”

Strange as it is to hear this former outsider talk about “institionalizing,” Mr. Mayne also insisted that he had not lost his maverick zeal. Part of his responsibility as an architect will always be telling it as he sees it, he maintained, not telling clients what they want to hear.

“I fought violently for the autonomy of architecture,” he said. “It’s a very passive, weak profession where people deliver a service. You want a blue door, you get a blue door. You want it to look neo-Spanish, you get neo-Spanish.

“Architecture with any authenticity represents resistance. Resistance is a good thing.”
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 06:02 PM   #484
Cyril
Particle XLR8R

Likes (Received): 4217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Mayne
While the surface is currently perforated stainless steel, for example, he said it might be something else entirely by the time he is finished
Like a pregnant woman, this tower is still in gestation. It sounds like it will change (a lot).
Old December 20th, 2006, 01:28 AM   #485
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Picture of Thom Mayne and his tour Signal in La Défense.

brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #486
TONIO DEL BARRIO

Likes (Received): 1

TONIO DEL BARRIO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #487
TONIO DEL BARRIO

Old January 18th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #488
TONIO DEL BARRIO

Old January 18th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #489
TONIO DEL BARRIO

Old January 18th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #490
Matthieu
Administrateur

Likes (Received): 5604

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONIO DEL BARRIO View Post
It looks good from this angle, very good.
Old January 18th, 2007, 08:02 PM   #491
Matthieu
Administrateur

Likes (Received): 5604

Am I reading well or on these models it's said 350m tall?
Old January 18th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #492
Fabb

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthieu View Post
Am I reading well or on these models it's said 350m tall?
... from sea level.
The actual height is 287 m, "hair" included.
Fabb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #493
TONIO DEL BARRIO

The hight is not the most important thing in this buildings. It is really a new buildings in La Defense, modern, ambitious and different with all skyscrapers like the Tower Generali (315 meters)
Old January 18th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #494
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6524

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONIO DEL BARRIO View Post
The hight is not the most important thing in this buildings. It is really a new buildings in La Defense, modern, ambitious and different with all skyscrapers like the Tower Generali (315 meters)
"The hight"...height
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 01:46 AM   #495
_docomo

Likes (Received): 0

I love it because its so different and unique. Its far from your typical design and its iconic. Hate or love it, its out there and you will never forget it
_docomo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 01:12 AM   #496
oscyrkorso
Informality required

im sorry my dear frenchies but....i totally dislike this "tower"...for real it looks like an amorph potato with roots on the top.and all those visible metal-structures are pretty ugly.

Well of course it will mean new standards and a new concept of building but being 300 m tall...i consider it too risky!i would have done that but with a 100m tower,not with the one which is gonna be the tallest building in the city,visible from every point .

Anyway we have to wait till its built and see the result,but so far...
Old January 20th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #497
brunob
USA until further notice

Likes (Received): 19

Well... you said amorphous? Morphosis i answer. Geddit? the Architect's practise name says it all.

As for the 'visible metal structure', love or hate it, it's a hot fashionable architectural feature right now, and it's going to last for a little longer methink.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 11:13 PM   #498
Gandhi
Newland

Likes (Received): 4

why that design? ...is really different, ..i´m not an architect or engineer, but this design...i can´t underta?nt the concept...somebody explain me please?
Old January 22nd, 2007, 11:22 PM   #499
brunob
USA until further notice

Likes (Received): 19

Read thru the thread. The answer is there somewhere, from the architect's own words.
Alternatively, there are hints and tidbits abouts what the idea behind the design is, in post #483.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 11:33 PM   #500
Knatterton

I just love it!! Brilliant Design...the French love experience, and that one rules!! Who loved the Eifel-Tower, before it was built? I want to see this tower in Paris!!
Knatterton no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
la défense, paris, paris skyscrapers