daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 26th, 2009, 10:46 AM   #941
skyscraper100
>:

Likes (Received): 32

me i love the top, its like a piece of art
skyscraper100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #942
S.T.Y AP

Likes (Received): 626

strange, different!
S.T.Y AP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #943
69Ketchup
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

DIFFERENT BUILDING WILL MAKE PARIS STRANGE.
69Ketchup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 12:33 AM   #944
Taiki24
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Ketchup View Post
DIFFERENT BUILDING WILL MAKE PARIS STRANGE.
Ignoring your odd addiction to Caps lock, I think the word that you are working towards is "unique". In my opinion, the best thing that this decade has given us (besides the integration of the internet so thoroughly into our society) is this new trend rebelling against those annoying cookie-cutter skyscrapers that have been being built since the mid 20th century. In no major city is this as obvious as Paris, a city that is almost universally considered to be an art and culture capital of the world, cursed with architecture completely indifferent to this fact. Paris was at least lucky enough to have the striking Grande Arche built.

Now, developers universally seem to be forsaking the box with a view for something different. Are all of these designs as radical as Tour Phare? No. Some of them are still quite bland. But I think that in a post-burj dubai world, it isn't possible to make the same mark on a skyline by throwing up a 70 story box anymore.

Some people feel that some of this new architecture goes completely overboard, and they have their rallying point in Tour Phare, which my some angles is actually quite grotesque. But it is so unlike anything that has come before, I sincerely hope that it gets built. I know detractors hate seeing the reaction of the general public to this tower compared to that of Tour Eifel, and they might be right. Maybe this tower will still be seen as a blot on the Paris skyline, if it is built, for years to come, like Tour Montparnasse (which, IMO, could look nice with a cladding update). But maybe, just maybe, it will change our view of skyscrapers for ever.
Taiki24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 11:44 PM   #945
Minato ku

Model of Phare tower.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Pictures by Craig Kaplan, flickr
Old June 12th, 2009, 04:30 AM   #946
Taiki24
Ars longa, vita brevis

Absolutely breathtaking, especially the last shot.
-The art of dancing stands at the source of all the arts that express themselves first in the human person. The art of building, or architecture, is the beginning of all the arts that lie outside the person; and in the end they unite.

-Havelock Ellis, The Dance of Life (1923)
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #947
chjbolton
chjbolton

Likes (Received): 75

Can't wait to see it standing tall!
Old June 13th, 2009, 06:52 AM   #948
Aiacos
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

I don't like it
Aiacos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #949
The other Dude

Likes (Received): 10

i also hated it in the beginning, but now when i see the model-pics, i start to like it more and more!
its very diffrent, and even if it turns out to be ugly (but i think it would be fantastic in reality), it still would be interessting and unique. something to look at for minutes, other than all the ugly AND boring towers...
Old June 13th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #950
Taiki24
Ars longa, vita brevis

Exactly how it happened with me. Nice avatar by the way, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is one of my favorite series.
-The art of dancing stands at the source of all the arts that express themselves first in the human person. The art of building, or architecture, is the beginning of all the arts that lie outside the person; and in the end they unite.

-Havelock Ellis, The Dance of Life (1923)
Old June 13th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #951
Matthieu
Administrateur

Likes (Received): 5617

I had the same feeling, at first I hate it but the models make it really exciting.
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:55 AM   #952
QuarterMileSidewalk
Laissez-Faire Forever!

Likes (Received): 11

I agree with the above posts. When they first see it, I think most people's natural, initial reaction to Tour Phare will be something like, "WHAT THE F...?" But as they stare at it, captivated by its monstrosity, they'll begin to appreciate the complex engineering only made possible by modern computing, and Thom Mayne's, ahem, unusual imagination. An unusual building like this could change the popular understanding of the skyscraper, and architecture in general. Paris is home to a great deal of iconic architecture. Most of the city, Tour Eiffel in particular, is emblematic of the 19th century's concept of beauty. Here and there we also find 20th century standouts, ranging from real beauty, to hideously bare functionality. Soon we add Tour Phare to the mix, and I think we'll see that the architecture of the 21st century can be beautiful and functional and ugly and superfluous, and often all at once. It will ask people to hold conflicting notions in mind, and to understand and appreciate, though not necessarily agree with, all of them. I think that if there's anything the Los Angeles School of architects like Thom Mayne and Frank Gehry have re-taught us in this century, it's that beauty can be a function of a building, among others.

Last edited by QuarterMileSidewalk; June 19th, 2009 at 08:29 AM.
QuarterMileSidewalk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 02:32 AM   #953
Feanaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterMileSidewalk View Post
I agree with the above posts. When they first see it, I think most people's natural, initial reaction to Tour Phare will be something like, "WHAT THE F...?" But as they stare at it, captivated by its monstrosity, they'll begin to appreciate the complex engineering only made possible by modern computing, and Thom Mayne's, ahem, unusual imagination. An unusual building like this could change the popular understanding of the skyscraper, and architecture in general. Paris is home to a great deal of iconic architecture. Most of the city, Tour Eiffel in particular, is emblematic of the 19th century's concept of beauty. Here and there we also find 20th century standouts, ranging from real beauty, to hideously bare functionality. Soon we add Tour Phare to the mix, and I think we'll see that the architecture of the 21st century can be beautiful and functional and ugly and superfluous, and often all at once. It will ask people to hold conflicting notions in mind, and to understand and appreciate, though not necessarily agree with, all of them. I think that if there's anything the Los Angeles School of architects like Thom Mayne and Frank Gehry have re-taught us in this century, it's that beauty can be one function of a building, among others.
+1
Old June 15th, 2009, 02:46 AM   #954
3tmk
Rusty Robot

If this is the future of skyscrapers, I might just as well jump out the window.
Thom Mayne is a criminal and a terrorist, he should be tried in an Iraqi court.

The redesigns of the tower have made it more acceptable, but it will remain to be the ugly duckling of them all.
Old June 19th, 2009, 08:21 AM   #955
QuarterMileSidewalk
Laissez-Faire Forever!

Well, nothing like a hideous building to make the good ones look better, right? You see, good architecture needs horrible architecture!

(but I don't think Tour Phare is horrible, personally. Interesting and grotesque, though!)
Old June 20th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #956
69Ketchup
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

Yup I like it now.
69Ketchup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 02:52 AM   #957
Soroban
Ah! Megami-Sama fan

Likes (Received): 33

Ugly, horrible.

Soroban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 03:43 AM   #958
MattTheTubaGuy
Skyscrapers to the stars

Likes (Received): 647

Interesting building. even if it is ugly, there is nothing wrong with building it. The Eiffel tower was considered an eye sore when it was first built, and it was supposed to be temporary. Well it is still there, and has become an icon of Paris.

Complete and T/O Supertalls Map
U/C Supertalls Map
Prep and O/H Supertalls Map
All Supertalls map!

Google Earth map (WIP)

ZZ-II's World Supertalls List

view my buildings made on Maya
MattTheTubaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 05:02 AM   #959
QuarterMileSidewalk
Laissez-Faire Forever!

Precisely. Its uniqueness will make it quite iconic, regardless of peoples' opinions of it. They will all look at it and forever associate it with 21st century Paris.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:27 AM   #960
GeoDude
GeoDude

Likes (Received): 206

many people have been saying this is not the building for paris. i disagree. paris has seen many, very different buildings throughout its history, and nearly all have pissed off the french. why should this one be any different? the french hated the eiffel tower when it was built and insisted that it be torn down. they hated the pompidou, im pei's triangle, tour montparnasse (that one i can see). it seems paris is the perfect city to put in something that is different, despite the reluctance of the french and others to accept it as iconic. plus, it will have a truly amazing viewpoint of paris from the top. i hope the tour phare is built because i think it will be something the french and the world will come to love, even if it takes several decades.

Last edited by GeoDude; June 23rd, 2009 at 07:34 AM.
GeoDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
la défense, paris, paris skyscrapers