daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 2nd, 2009, 01:24 AM   #961
mehmetantalya
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

another tower from tom mayne/morphosis for the city of shenzhen !
une autre tour de tom mayne pour la ville de shenzhen !
mehmetantalya no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2009, 01:45 AM   #962
Aiacos
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tmk View Post
If this is the future of skyscrapers, I might just as well jump out the window.

And a common lie in this thread is that "french hated Eiffel tower". That is not true, many of them loved it and that's why it wasn't demolished.
Aiacos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 01:50 AM   #963
skyscraper100
>:

Likes (Received): 32

very unique, modern and artistic, it will surely fit in Paris.. this is not ugly at all, they designed it well
skyscraper100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:05 AM   #964
Taiki24
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiacos View Post

And a common lie in this thread is that "french hated Eiffel tower". That is not true, many of them loved it and that's why it wasn't demolished.
I think that is more of a case of misinformation, for contemporary critics of the time did seem to dislike it quite vehemently. Of course, this has no reflection on the feelings of the general populace of the city, but that isn't something that could be known so easily unless one is a local or has studied the topic more extensively. Either way, I don't think that anyone can dispute the fact that an overwhelming majority of the population likes it now!
-The art of dancing stands at the source of all the arts that express themselves first in the human person. The art of building, or architecture, is the beginning of all the arts that lie outside the person; and in the end they unite.

-Havelock Ellis, The Dance of Life (1923)
Taiki24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:10 AM   #965
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7192

I've been avoiding to comment on this one because I don't want to offend anyone. However, I must say that I find this one repulsing and ugly. I'm really sorry but I was expecting better projects for Paris.

It's ok to be creative and artistic but I wouldn't want a skyscraper in my city that resembles a genetically modified pinneapple.

Last edited by PortoNuts; July 2nd, 2009 at 03:23 AM.
PortoNuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:22 AM   #966
Taiki24
Ars longa, vita brevis

lol, I don't think you're offending anybody who doesn't have a stick up their arse. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Even though I do like it, the genetically modified pineapple comparison is spot on.
-The art of dancing stands at the source of all the arts that express themselves first in the human person. The art of building, or architecture, is the beginning of all the arts that lie outside the person; and in the end they unite.

Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:24 AM   #967
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7192

Good to know that there are still forumers tolerant to other opinions.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:53 AM   #968
GeoDude
GeoDude

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiki24 View Post
I think that is more of a case of misinformation, for contemporary critics of the time did seem to dislike it quite vehemently. Of course, this has no reflection on the feelings of the general populace of the city, but that isn't something that could be known so easily unless one is a local or has studied the topic more extensively. Either way, I don't think that anyone can dispute the fact that an overwhelming majority of the population likes it now!
actually. i do know quite a bit about it. i studied parisian world fairs and exhibitions from 1889 to 1937, including the construction of the eiffel tower for the 89 fair. the public and critics were outraged. some called it a "giant smokestack." in fact, the city would not give funding for the project so gustave had to fund it himself. in turn, the city had to sign a contract giving him all tickets sales for the first 20 years in operation. he got back his money the first year and for the subsequent 19 years received a MAJOR profit. the city screwed up on that one. however, before the year 1909, when it was to be demolished, the city changed its mind because the gov and the people said they could no long imagine paris without it. and so it stayed. obviously i don't know exact numbers, but a very large percentage were not happy with the design AT FIRST. most wanted a column of some sort (i cant find a picture of it online, but lets just say thank God it wasn't built.) i think paris and the rest of the world the tower has remained. it really is an icon.

so this is why i think that people should not be afraid of such a distinctive tower like the tour phare. who knows how iconic it could become. maybe i am just more accepting of idiosyncrasy and change in terms of skyscrapers. but i think looking to the past and applying it the future can be very constructive for our thoughts and perceptions. of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
GeoDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:17 AM   #969
Taiki24
Ars longa, vita brevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoDude View Post
actually. i do know quite a bit about it. i studied parisian world fairs and exhibitions from 1889 to 1937, including the construction of the eiffel tower for the 89 fair. the public and critics were outraged. some called it a "giant smokestack." in fact, the city would not give funding for the project so gustave had to fund it himself. in turn, the city had to sign a contract giving him all tickets sales for the first 20 years in operation. he got back his money the first year and for the subsequent 19 years received a MAJOR profit. the city screwed up on that one. however, before the year 1909, when it was to be demolished, the city changed its mind because the gov and the people said they could no long imagine paris without it. and so it stayed. obviously i don't know exact numbers, but a very large percentage were not happy with the design AT FIRST. most wanted a column of some sort (i cant find a picture of it online, but lets just say thank God it wasn't built.) i think paris and the rest of the world the tower has remained. it really is an icon.

so this is why i think that people should not be afraid of such a distinctive tower like the tour phare. who knows how iconic it could become. maybe i am just more accepting of idiosyncrasy and change in terms of skyscrapers. but i think looking to the past and applying it the future can be very constructive for our thoughts and perceptions. of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Thanks for the information! I had no idea that Eifel had to fund the tower on his own. Its always nice to see somebody posting extremely well researched information. And I agree wholeheartedly with your opinion/statement in the second paragraph of your post.

Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:05 AM   #970
mehmetantalya
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

The architect of this fabulous tour phare is Thom Mayne Pritzker Prize 2005 ! please ! an american architect one of the greatest architects in the world ! To be able to appreciate this magnificence it is necessary to have a brain !
mehmetantalya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 06:20 AM   #971
QuarterMileSidewalk
Laissez-Faire Forever!

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiki24 View Post
contemporary critics of the time did seem to dislike it quite vehemently. Of course, this has no reflection on the feelings of the general populace of the city,
It occurred to me that many modern film reviewers seem to work that way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
It's ok to be creative and artistic but I wouldn't want a skyscraper in my city that resembles a genetically modified pinneapple.

Now, has there been any news on when construction is meant to begin? I would suspect that this tower is potentially going to be one of the more expensive projects in the Paris region right now... How is the economy affecting it?

Last edited by QuarterMileSidewalk; July 3rd, 2009 at 06:27 AM.
QuarterMileSidewalk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #972
Sparxter
Student ROC Bouwkunde

Likes (Received): 6

I think the building is extremely interesting, whatever everybody is saying in this thread, it's no longer a fight between french and english people like in the first 500 posts.

First i thought it was like what i earlier saw on tv. There is no internal structure, no main pole, or concrete center. It is brought to the outside of the building, so inside there is very much space to be used. (please correct me if i am wrong about that)

Then you can see how this external structure is going a little bit over the internal building, I like it. I can see how the steel framework is created.

The more i cam through the posts, the more negative idea i get from this building. I take some rest, go back and look over all of the renders again. It's actually quiet positive now. I like the futuristic idea that is brought into Paris. It's really something that fits into paris.

When i look closer at the building i see it's like a drop of water on a window. Or like a vase cut in half.

This building is so artistic, so perfectly designed. It is really how i think an architect should be.

After i have read all the posts i can conclude that Tour de Phare is like a cloud. So many people seeying so much different objects in it. The more fantasy you have, the better the building looks.

Tour de Phare i one of the first structures on SSC that is very original, i haven't seen one design thats comes close to this one.

So for the people that live in Paris. If i were you, i would be Damn proud.

Also when you read how much de Eifeltower was disliked before it was build and now you see how much people over the world like it. I think in that way this building can be compared to the eifeltower. So many different people, so many different opinions.

Fantastic!

(also would like to thank Cyril, wjfox, thoju75, Metropolitan, Tonio del barrio, Densaga and minato ku for the fantastic Renders, pictures and any other information about this Proposal!)
Sparxter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #973
Orfeo

Likes (Received): 77

interesting. not necessarily good.
Orfeo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #974
Chef.Garantie
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon911 View Post
Although the French have never been keen on change, I think they will have something to be proud of here and will be proud to show this off to the world.
Hence their multiple revolutions and five republics..
Chef.Garantie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 04:26 AM   #975
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

^ The building does resemble a headless corpse, now that you mention the revolution.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #976
chjbolton
chjbolton

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef.Garantie View Post
Hence their multiple revolutions and five republics..
Very good first post!
Old July 12th, 2009, 04:38 AM   #977
QuarterMileSidewalk
Laissez-Faire Forever!

Likes (Received): 11

^I concur! Let the sarcasm roll!
QuarterMileSidewalk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #978
LikeaPen
Abstracted by icons

Likes (Received): 2

Maybe they should have resurrected Henry Moore during the design process.

I think it would look better if it had been made more symmetrical, with the lifted skirt on four sides like an upside-down blossom. (It could be a giant post-modern art nouveau) Is that too literal symbolic.. because I feel the current blob-like design is a bit too nihilist.
LikeaPen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #979
NgelM
Two camels in a tiny car

Likes (Received): 66

this is an awesome building!
"Valencia es infinita" Daniel De Sousa
NgelM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 02:32 AM   #980
Densaga

Likes (Received): 17

new renders :

from Morphopedia , official site of Morphosis (Thom Mayne) architects.

Client: SCI CNIT DEVELOPPEMENT
Size: 1,767,273 gross sq ft / 164,180 gross sq m
Program: Commercial office tower with office space, employee restaurants, public cafés and amenities, panoramic restaurant
Design: 2006 - 2010
Construction: 2011 - 2015
Type: Commercial

Last edited by Densaga; February 11th, 2010 at 02:38 AM.
Densaga no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
la défense, paris, paris skyscrapers