daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 28th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #101
Cyril
Particle XLR8R

Likes (Received): 4220

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
well i do write for this site and a few magazines and newspapers also, im an admin.

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=792
The architect firm is not Morphis but Morphosis

Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #102
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 12363

so it is. lol.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 12:25 AM   #103
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Here is a larger version of the main rendering:

Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 12:27 AM   #104
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13285

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneshm View Post
well ....i think ....this is onee hell of a building from the french .....cmon guyss.......this building is soo unique .......i guess ....londoners are gettin a bit problem from this master piece...but...truly Paris has always given somethin exciting to see,and something different ....like this ....being an ASIAN i have no link to any of the countries,butt ......i dont see london lookin that gr8 ,.....in comparison to paris comin future for skyscrapers.....La defence is a one view skyline...wheras for london`s skyline,start makin a 360degree spin ....naaa.....buttttttttt london`s in the race for [email protected]@
Really articulate.
Old November 28th, 2006, 12:33 AM   #105
randolph

Likes (Received): 1398

This tower is absolutely fantastic! Darn those Frenchies they've done it again!
randolph no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 12:33 AM   #106
tinou

Likes (Received): 0

haha!! Paris remains the same...this is a silly answer! La Défense is not even situated in Paris but in the suburbs...people don't usually come to Paris to visit La Défense, will they??

I kinda like that tower although it looks weird...but I was thinking about the old Jean Nouvel's project, "The Endless tower" (1989) which was like a roll.So we had a cube (The Arch), a wave (The Cnit) and a roll (The Signal)...how clever!

What I really like in the two last Paris' project are the environmentalist conception : wind turbines on top, two claddings for cooling the buildings, etc..." Hopefully these two (Morphosis and Generali) will create a basis for the future of "green architecture".

On the other hand, I don't find they really look like "landmarks" though...but future will tell us how people perceive that kind of architecture.

One more thing : Lobby on the 9th floor? Well, it's pretty innovative but street life is supposed to happen on the ground level...and as you may know, when it's higher than the ground level, it's generally meant to be a failure (e.g. Front de Seine in Paris)...maybe I'm wrong since it's one single building which is aimed to be a landmark...

All comments are allowed here, either they are for or against the tower...but with arguments! ;-)
tinou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 12:53 AM   #107
Mekky II
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

Oh yeah, children of today will like it in 20 years ...

A mix of ...

This
vvv

This
vvv

And this also
vvv

Well, at least in France, we love those stuffs now, congratz SNCF
vvv

The small one with hairs will grow and bring the new skyscraper in Paris... ahahah !

"See you in 2012"

Last edited by Mekky II; November 28th, 2006 at 12:58 AM.
Mekky II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 12:58 AM   #108
SimLim

Likes (Received):

Its nice. not the best but lovely all the same.
Old November 28th, 2006, 01:11 AM   #109
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1355

I like the organic design, but I don't know if it will look good in reality. It depends on the type of glass used for the facade. And the columns at the base look so unstable. I hope they are just looking like this
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 01:12 AM   #110
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1548

Its alright. The base could use some improvement.
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 02:12 AM   #111
JGG
LONDON - Westminster

Likes (Received): 2

This is a fantastic design and - depending on the execution - may set a new benchmark. I love the crown: rather than one single peak some "hair" flying in the wind: extremely organic, fluid and understated. I absolutely love the huge square in front of it: at least some space to admire this tower. And finally I adore the escalators going into the building - some CDG T1 flash-back (nick-name "vacuum cleaner" instead of signal tower - or would that be too disrespectful for a Paris skyscraper?). It fits in very well with the rest of LD and in fact elevates all of LD to a new level. Congrats Paris! I am lookig forward to seeing it in real.
JGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 02:25 AM   #112
Phobos

I don't know what to say about this project :S
It's one of the craziest thibgs I have ever seen...
Old November 28th, 2006, 03:19 AM   #113
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 13

Hehe, who would of guessed this thread would turn into a Paris V London slanging match, eh?

As for the Tower, there are certain aspects that i like about it, such as the base (which i like a lot) and how the cross bracing and structural supports seem to be visible through the glass.

But overall I'm not too keen on the amorphous blob look, it doesn't soar enough, and certainly doesn't look like its 300m tall. And i actually find the crown to be quite repulsive...it looks like the wispy hair you would see on the chin of a pre-pubescent teenager.

I think it could be a case were the finished structure will end up looking a lot better than the renderings....which, aren't the best quality to be honest, and as such, probably don't do the building justice.
Old November 28th, 2006, 04:42 AM   #114
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6323

Yer, it is typical that it has It has sorta turned into a Paris/London comparisson thread....and I must point out that it wasn't started by someone from London, it was that random idiot 'bread n butter' back on p3 that commented on 'British forumers', even when a great number of the people who have criticised it haven't been British....if you can't accept (justfied) criticsm, don't come on the forum!!

For me, this isn't about London, it isn't even about Paris, it is simply about looking at a proposed skyscraper design and judging its quality, then, if needs be, comparing it to other examples of better/worse proposals of the same nature.

This business of comparing to to the Eiffel tower is absoluetly riddiculous!! You cannot start comparing every building to the Eiffel tower in an effort to defend the proposal because people don't initially like it. There comes a point where you have to accept that people maybe don't like it because it doesn't look good!! And I notice a lot of people who are sticking up for the tower are saying things like "it will look great in 20/30 years" which I find really funny, as they are clearly admitting they they themselves do't actually like it.

Lol, who knows, yes in 20 or 30...heck, maybe 50 years, it may look like the greatest thing since sliced bread, but right now, at the present time, it just looks like a desperate attempt to be something special. And to those idiots out there who may respond in such a manner, let me get the first word in and say I have no grudge or bitternesss or jealousy to Paris at all. As a two-time visitor and admirer of Paris, and as a fellow European, I have a vested interest in how the city looks, and what is built there, because after all, Paris has standards to maintain. If this had been a proposal in Dubai, I wouldn't have commented on it, because they are just throwing skyscrapers up like so much graffiti, with little or no attension to detail, but with it being in Paris, I am very concerned, especially as it is meant to be a flagship project. I mean, if it was smaller, it would be ok, but the size it is means it will stick out like a sore thumb on a well manicured hand!!

I think, deep down, most Parisians, if they are being brutally honest with themselves, would admitt that this isn't what they might have been hoping for in their new supertall to rival LBT or the Shard...

But hey...if you like it, all power to you, far be it from me to encourage you to take off those rose-tinted glasses!! All I can say is, I am just glad it is not being built near me!!

I will say no more on the subject!!

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 04:49 AM   #115
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit Slim View Post
Yer, it is typical that it has It has sorta turned into a Paris/London comparisson thread....and I must point out that it wasn't started by someone from London, it was that random idiot 'bread n butter' back on p3 that commented on 'British forumers', even when a great number of the people who have criticised it haven't been British....if you can't accept (justfied) criticsm, don't come on the forum!!

For me, this isn't about London, it isn't even about Paris, it is simply about looking at a proposed skyscraper design and judging its quality, then, if needs be, comparing it to other examples of better/worse proposals of the same nature.

This business of comparing to to the Eiffel tower is absoluetly riddiculous!! You cannot start comparing every building to the Eiffel tower in an effort to defend the proposal because people don't initially like it. There comes a point where you have to accept that people maybe don't like it because it doesn't look good!! And I notice a lot of people who are sticking up for the tower are saying things like "it will look great in 20/30 years" which I find really funny, as they are clearly admitting they they themselves do't actually like it.

Lol, who knows, yes in 20 or 30...heck, maybe 50 years, it may look like the greatest thing since sliced bread, but right now, at the present time, it just looks like a desperate attempt to be something special. And to those idiots out there who may respond in such a manner, let me get the first word in and say I have no grudge or bitternesss or jealousy to Paris at all. As a two-time visitor and admirer of Paris, and as a fellow European, I have a vested interest in how the city looks, and what is built there, because after all, Paris has standards to maintain. If this had been a proposal in Dubai, I wouldn't have commented on it, because they are just throwing skyscrapers up like so much graffiti, with little or no attension to detail, but with it being in Paris, I am very concerned, especially as it is meant to be a flagship project. I mean, if it was smaller, it would be ok, but the size it is means it will stick out like a sore thumb on a well manicured hand!!

I think, deep down, most Parisians, if they are being brutally honest with themselves, would admitt that this isn't what they might have been hoping for in their new supertall to rival LBT or the Shard...

But hey...if you like it, all power to you, far be it from me to encourage you to take off those rose-tinted glasses!! All I can say is, I am just glad it is not being built near me!!

I will say no more on the subject!!
I'm with you, Jack. You've conveyed exactly what I'm thinking.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 05:08 AM   #116
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3670

I'm not saying it's ugly. It's just too radicle to be a beauty,..

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 05:42 AM   #117
VikkyD
Yip-Eyey-Kie-Ay

Likes (Received): 1

It's Disgusting! Paris is the most beutiful city in the world, and this gigantic amorphic blob is going just SIT on what USED to be known as beautiful architecture.

Now, i'm not opposed to modern archtiecture, as a metter of fact i love it.. and actually, i'd quite like this building... almost ANYWHERE else... BUT paris! it just doesnt suit the area... i can go for some interesting juxtaposition, like at the Luvre, with Iempei's Pyramid.. but.. THIS... is a monstrosity
VikkyD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 06:10 AM   #118
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 805

This is quite an amazing design, reminds me a little of a sea cucumber.

Are Parisians supportive?
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 07:13 AM   #119
Kartoff

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Cat View Post
This is quite an amazing design, reminds me a little of a sea cucumber.

Are Parisians supportive?
I don't think that most of Parisians will be.
But they just need time, Thom Mayne isn't a newbie at all, he does know what he's doing. I'm sure it's going to become a real appreciated landmark in the future years.
Kartoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 07:52 AM   #120
Good

Likes (Received): 595

This project should not be compared with the Eiffel Tower, but with the Pompidou Center. A project which was audacious and bold at its time, people couldn't believe that such a "beautiful" city like Paris could throw this monster in its historical core, Parisians were insulting the architects, insulting the building, making sarcastic or desesperate comments... Now it is a famous landmark and in all the architecture books. I know people that still think it has nothing to do in Paris... Out of the modern buildings in Paris, the Pompidou center is probably the most radical: a factory-like shape, bright colours, transparent stairway on the facade, a total shock when it emerged in the medieval center of Paris, and at the same time it created a nice public square linking different Parisians neighborhood.
This Morphosis tower will play the same role: a whatever-like shape, an outside stairway generating a new kind of public space offering new vista points over la Défense, a total contrast between its organic and animal turgescence and the geometric and rigid architecture of la Défense. And it will create new links between different la Défense areas (Faubourg de l'Arche, CNIT, Grande Arche), whereas now we just have a collection of towers.
In the skyline the tour Signal's effect will probably be very deceptive, uninteresting, or even ugly. No way it can compete with the photogenic lines of the Shard in London for instance, or the visually elegant design of Bishopgate. But from the streetlevel, it will blow all current built/proposed/approved buildings away!!! The experience for the passer-by will be absolutely astonishing, when seeing this glassy monster emerging like a living substance from the ground and the surrounding buildings. The most fascinating and stunning piece of architecture ever: not elegant, not pretty, not sharp like so many "classy" towers growing everywhere, even with high quality (NY, London, Madrid, Chicago, Moscow, etc) but audacious, new, revolutionary: the first time organic architecture is applied to a skyscraper!!!
As a Parisien, I am very very happy this kind or architectural event happens one again in Paris, like the Pompidou Center did.
Good no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
la défense, paris, paris skyscrapers