daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 12th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #1221
MissyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jex7844 View Post
Hi there Charlotte,

As long as = 'du moment que' .

France is not used to copying other nations when it comes to architecture, so don't worry.

Shard is a beautiful building, but honestly I prefer Phare a lot more for many reasons (organic shape, one of a kind, amazing cladding, several different faces). Although some people criticize its design, I'm fairly sure that it will be Paris's new pride after the Eiffel Tower, once built it's gonna be a fantastic new kind of building to gaze at. It will be so iconic...

Regarding the footbridge, let's wait for the Elections to take place...Kossowski has been using this 'pretext' to show his electors how involved he can be regarding their 'welfare'...

That's a common behaviour...things are likely to evolve positively once the elections over. Furthermore, it doesn't change anything as 2 appeals need to be cleared before starting works. As mentioned in a previous post, the Court's decision will be known late 2012. Therefore, we must wait & see.
Je vous remercie pour la correction. Je l'apprecois beaucoup.

in my views, Shard although a great building, will be outdated and looking rather bland and boring after a decade has passed as this hype will sure be over. But Phares on the other hand, will be a trend setter, like I said the YSL or C. Lacrois among the many skyscrapers. It has a form, a certain unique look and feel to it and an eye catcher, not specifically because of it height, but more so because of the elegance, the curves, the rather sophisticated look. This is one that will become a new highlight on city's skyline. Shard, I love it too, yet I already find it quite bland.

Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #1222
Josh
City Geek

I really like this tower, hope it will be built soon.

Overall, some nice looking scrapers proposed or under construction for Paris.
Josh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #1223
Boriska
zététicien complotiste

Likes (Received): 4824

Somebody have some news ?
Boriska no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #1224
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Likes (Received): 2916

Appeals: verdict to be known on 11 may

Quote:
Le tribunal administratif de Cergy-Pontoise (Val-d'Oise) rendra le 11 mai sa décision concernant les recours déposés par des élus et riverains contre le projet de construction de la tour Phare dans le quartier d'affaires de La Défense, à l'issue d'une audience mercredi.
The Tribunal administratif de Cergy-Pontoise will return its verdict on 11 May regarding the 3 appeals against the construction of the Tour PHARE in La Défense's district. The appeals come from nimbies & elected characters.

Fingers crossed...

http://www.cbanque.com/actu/29979/la...-la-tour-phare

ps: many thanks to Krapulax for this valuable information...

Last edited by Jex7844; April 28th, 2012 at 11:49 PM.
Jex7844 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #1225
tonttula

Likes (Received): 180

Stumbled on the name of this tower today, and oh man is this awesome.

If this gets build, the overall shape is the best of any skyscraper there is IMO. Some very nice projects for La Défense, including those new cladding projects to freshen up some of the older towers.

Last edited by tonttula; April 29th, 2012 at 01:01 PM.
tonttula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 02:08 AM   #1226
italiano_pellicano
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2010

wow amazing
italiano_pellicano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 02:12 AM   #1227
italiano_pellicano
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2010

looks very very nice
italiano_pellicano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 05:24 AM   #1228
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Man, that looks difficult to build!
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 07:33 AM   #1229
gusgazman

Likes (Received): 641

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
No more than Versailles...
Old April 29th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #1230
singoone
€ Scraping the sky €

Likes (Received): 666

The best project in Paris yet. Awesome.
singoone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #1231
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Indeed, it's gonna be a real technical challenge to build PHARE, particularly owing to its location (see article below!)

Quote:
The Tour Phare is a highly innovative tower destined for construction in La Défense. Marty Doscher, Founder and Director of SYNTHESIS Technology Integration and formerly Technology Director at design studio Morphosis, has carefully crafted this arresting building whose cavernous atrium bears its structural bones for the world to see. The asymmetric silhouette of tower swells slightly near its base to incorporate a Grand Hall, tapering as it rises into a mass of wind turbines on the roof. A high performance double skin permits a flood of natural light but reduces solar heat while creating a memorable aesthetic presence in a busy urban environment.

Located on a small site crowded with others’ imaginative architectural concepts, the Tour Phare met numerous design challenges head on. Doscher explains: “The tower emerges from its irregular site, defined by a neighbouring motorway and a rail link, and bisected by an existing pedestrian walkway. It is located between the 1989 Grande Arche de la Défense and the 1958 CNIT building, the former exhibition hall of the National Inter-University Consortium for Telecommunications, with an architecturally significant glass façade, designed by Jean Prouvé.”

In reaction to the complex intrusions that impinged upon the Tour Phare’s footprint, a hybrid structural solution was formed. Resting on a tripod base, the tower comprises one splayed structural leg, two habitable legs (the Trapezium to the west, and the East Building) and a pavilion volume to transform the existing public plaza. At the building’s base rests a 24m wide by 28m tall void to be utilised as an urban gateway, however this unusual design solution was not without its troubles.

Project Architect, David Rindlaub furthers: “Early on, the building core was concrete and the rest of the structure was steel. In this configuration the concrete foot was integral to the structural integrity of the tower. Ultimately the tower structure changed to almost all concrete except for the steel diagrid structure of the grand hall. Because of the added stiffness provided by the additional concrete structure, the concrete foot ultimately became non-critical to the structural integrity of the main tower.

“The concrete foot is necessary however to reduce horizontal movement (sway) in the tower to allowable levels for the comfort of the building users. This change importantly accelerated the anticipated construction schedule because the main concrete tower can be built ahead of the installation of the steel grand hall diagrid.”

When faced with multifaceted design challenges, architects and engineers regularly turn to design technology to aid the creative process. Morphosis began working with 3D modelling software in the mid 90s and now uses BIM for the technical design of every project. When questioned on the positive ramifications of the software, Doscher explained: “Initially, the impetus was the management of complex design geometries, but the benefits are now recognised as two-fold.

“One, computational techniques afford the exploration of more options for geometries and patterns. Two, computational techniques enable the feedback from builders to become encoded into the design tools (that which governs the economy of making becomes captured in the design logic), so that as options are explored, there is a built-in measure of constructability.” In terms of this particular scheme, Doscher elaborated: “The design technology certainly reduced the size of the design team required to handle the immense quantity of information required to fully understand the design and execution of the project.”
Many thanks to everyone for their interest!
Old April 29th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #1232
MissyC

I ll be in Paris next weekend again and can't choose between Hilton LD so I can take a few pics for you guys or for Radisson Trocadero.

Looks lovely if being built. Then I will always stay in LD.
Old April 29th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #1233
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Just follow your heart Charlotte...

ps: It looks like your enthusiasm has diminished since your previous post (#1209)...
Old April 29th, 2012, 07:20 PM   #1234
cloud32

Likes (Received): 67

Hmmmm, I dunno about this... I like the design overall (especially the cladding!), I just think its possibly too bulky and the bottom is too complicated with all the different shapes going on...
cloud32 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #1235
MissyC

Quote:
Just follow your heart Charlotte...

ps: It looks like your enthusiasm has diminished since your previous post (#1209)...
LOL if I would follow my heart, I would buy one of the rooms at Shangri-La hotel or at Pullman Paris Tour Eiffel and always sit there, stare out of the window with my mouth open and never need to eat or drink.

If you just could know the magnitude of my obsession with Eiffel Tower.

Hey, let's meet too if you are in Paris.
Old May 4th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #1236
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Old May 4th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #1237
vitamin R

Likes (Received): 378

I love this design! Very sleek, modern and organic.
vitamin R no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #1238
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Court's decision expected tomorrow...

CF---> Post #1224

Fingers crossed...
Old May 12th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #1239
RandomNameTag
Skyscraper fan

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
CF---> Post #1224

Fingers crossed...
It's now the 12th. Was the decision delayed?
RandomNameTag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #1240
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

I suppose so mate... I'll update the thread as soon as I've got news.

@CharlotteJ: funny post , I personally am keen on the Eiffel Tower too...sorry but we can't meet as I don't live in Paris...

Last edited by Jex7844; May 13th, 2012 at 12:22 AM.
Jex7844 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
la défense, paris, paris skyscrapers