daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 11th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #4961
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240669

2 days for the spire (Saturday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
Is named after John Hancock,
famous for his prominent signature on the United States Declaration of Independence
Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
Hm... that's the Building "Hancock". I knew it from Chicago pics but i didnt knew the name of it

Thanks btw folks
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #4962
jhalsey

Likes (Received): 181

John Hancock ia also the name of a large insurance company I believe. There is anothyer John Hancock Centre in Boston.
jhalsey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 07:17 PM   #4963
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

I just learned that Donald Trump might build nearby or a supertall tower in downtown Seattle. Here is the brief information and rendering of it. http://www.djc.com/news/re/12001060.html

Sorry to be off topic but thought you guys might be interested to learn about it.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #4964
UniversalDiablo

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
I just learned that Donald Trump might build nearby or a supertall tower in downtown Seattle. Here is the brief information and rendering of it. http://www.djc.com/news/re/12001060.html

Sorry to be off topic but thought you guys might be interested to learn about it.
very nice! i like the top in this one, maybe an observation area?
UniversalDiablo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #4965
CrazyAboutCities

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalDiablo View Post
very nice! i like the top in this one, maybe an observation area?
Me too. I am not sure about observation area... Seattleties and I just learned about proposed Trump Tower in Seattle today. Here is little more information about this proposed tower, http://www.alpertinternational.com/seattle.htm
Old December 11th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #4966
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

december 11th: Trump trying to get city's final okay for spire installation this weekend

The spire atop Donald Trump's Chicago tower, the tallest building in America since Sears Tower, could be lifted into place by a helicopter this weekend, but only if city and federal officials give final approval, an executive who works with the New York City developer said Wednesday.

Trump_tower_3 The installation would likely start at 8 a.m. on Saturday and could last for one or two days, depending on how quickly construction progresses. The Chicago River, located just south of the 92-story hotel and condominium tower, could be closed while the Wabash Avenue Bridge could be opened, in effect shutting down traffic on the north-south street that adjoins the skyscraper, according to the Trump executive.

"We keep getting closer and closer," said Andrew Weiss, executive vice president of the Trump Organization, in a telephone interview from New York. "If anyone is unhappy or doesn't like it, it kills the whole thing." He said meetings are being held with a variety of city officials and that the discussions will continue Thursday, with Trump hoping to get the city's ultimate okay.

The installation already has been delayed several times--once, Weiss revealed, because city officials were not happy with a plan to allow the helicopter to land in the open space between the Trump tower and the Wrigley Building in order to refuel. Plans now call for a different kind of helicopter to refuel off-site and return to the skyscraper for additional installation work.

To avoid another postponement, Weiss said, Trump still must cross several hurdles, including sign-offs from the city's police and fire departments, a Federal Aviation Administration inspection of the helicopter and an interview with the helicopter pilot. "This guy's like the surgeon with the gloves," the executive said.

The spire measures 227 feet and eight inches high and is made of three-legged sections of steel covered in fiberglass. Once it is installed, the Trump tower will rise to a height of 1,361 feet, making it the second tallest building in Chicago--and the nation--after the 1,451-foot Sears Tower.

New York's Empire State Building is 1,250 feet tall.

The bottom of the spire already is built and protrudes above the skyscraper's roofline. The remaining sections of the spire were lifted into place by a construction crane and now sit on the roof, "standing like soldiers in a row," Weiss said. The helicopter will pick up the sections, one at a time, and hover over the spire. Construction workers will be sure that the sections are properly aligned and will then bolt them into place.

Asked about the weather forecast for Saturday and Sunday, Weiss said: "It's going to be in the high 30s, mixed clouds and sun." Referring to the construction workers, he said: "These guys have to stand up there--partially inside the spire with their heads sticking out. If it's snowing and raining and it's slippery, it's just not conducive for working safetly."

Officially known as the Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, the skyscraper was designed by Adrian Smith of the Chicago office of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill. Smith has since left Skidmore to start his own firm.

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....pire-atop.html
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #4967
zenzibart

This image of the John Hancock building in Chicago is left-right reversed.
zenzibart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 11:48 PM   #4968
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

the spire installation tommorow??? thats exciting but it still should depend on the weather.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #4969
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
the spire installation tommorow??? thats exciting but it still should depend on the weather.
Saturday morning, and yeah weather permitting.

work continues on the river front plaza....

cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #4970
CrazyAboutCities

It look like it is hard to get work done when it is covered by snow.
Old December 12th, 2008, 02:20 AM   #4971
Reinsdorf Sucks
Seven Costanza

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenzibart View Post
This image of the John Hancock building in Chicago is left-right reversed.
Yea I noticed that too. I couldn't figure out where it was taken from exactly because of that.
Reinsdorf Sucks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 04:58 PM   #4972
Sandeman
everything's looking up

Likes (Received): 1

Installing the Trump's Spire Tomorrow??? Permit is ready.

Blair Kamin with the update...although Tom Skilling is calling for heavy winds that will probably cause further delays...

Trump spire installation appears on track for Saturday
The helicopter installation of the spire atop Donald Trump's Chicago tower looks to be nearing final approval, with city officials expected to formally issue a permit on Friday, an executive who works with the New York real estate developer said Thursday.

"The actual permit has been printed but not yet delivered," Andrew Weiss, an executive vice president with the Trump Organization, said Thursday night in a telephone interview from New York. City officials are expected to bring the permit to the site of the 92-story hotel and condominium tower on Friday, he said.

Asked if there are any hurdles that could block the installation, Weiss said: "Not to my knowledge." However, he explained that the helicopter, which is parked at Midway Airport, must be inspected Friday morning. "As of right now," he added, "there's still a few loose ends that don't appear to be a cause for alarm."

The weather also could be a factor. Forecasts call for windy weather on Saturday and powerful south winds, 17 m.p.h. to 36 m.p.h., on Sunday.

The spire installation has been delayed three times, once because city officials balked at a Trump plan to let the helicopter refuel in the open space between the Wrigley Building and the skyscraper. instead, the helicopter will fly off-site to refuel.

The installation is expected to begin at 8 a.m. Saturday and could last for two days, depending on how quickly the work progresses. See my post from yesterday on how the installation is supposed to be done. http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/theskyline/
Sandeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #4973
Sandeman
everything's looking up

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
2 days for the spire (Saturday)

Thanks for the info

Hm... that's the Building "Hancock". I knew it from Chicago pics but i didnt knew the name of it

Thanks btw folks

Great shot of Chicago in the late 70's/early 80's. When noticing the beautiful Pamolive Building behind the Hancock has the "Playboy" sign on it (at that time the home of the Playboy Headquaters), I remembered when I discovered Playboy magazines as a boy... That building ALWAYS made me smile. (and still does)
Sandeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #4974
christos-greece
Moderator!

Very nice pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
It look like it is hard to get work done when it is covered by snow.
Its very hard indeed...
There is possibility pure concrete to freeze from low temperatures...
Old December 12th, 2008, 07:35 PM   #4975
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

I would so appreciate anyone who will be taking photos tommorow and post it here. In freezing weather...
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #4976
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Nice graphic from the Trib

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....8/12/post.html
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 01:44 AM   #4977
spire1000
watchin you from above...

guess theres only 19hrs and 15 minutes left until the spire goes up(wheater permitting).maybe ill get some pics

always here for help

Last edited by spire1000; December 13th, 2008 at 01:52 AM.
spire1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 02:04 AM   #4978
skyperu34
TRUXILLO del PERU !!!

Likes (Received): 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrabbit View Post
From Sunday 12/7:

What a pic !!!!!!! I fall in love with this angle !

PD: Waiting for spire, too...

Diseño, arquitectura, arte y naturaleza en:

skyperu34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 03:26 AM   #4979
juandie

yeahhhh!!! me too.... the new building back of the old structures... amazing!!!
Earth Hour, 20:30!
Remerber is our world, our home!
U can changed the world just turning off the lights
juandie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #4980
christos-greece
Moderator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
This graphic is great! Thanks for posting it...

Tags
adrian smith, chicago, donald trump, trump, trump tower