daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old August 27th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #6321
Metalus
Registered User
 
Metalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 102
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
It was supposed to be originally, the Trump was supposed to be the world's tallest building. But after 9/11 they scaled it back, fearing no one would want to live in something taller than the Sears tower. It's still magnificent though, the pictures don't do it justice up close. Believe me, it looks plenty tall in person from that view.
Was there a final height on the original plans or rendering?
Metalus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #6322
Eric Offereins
The only way is up
 
Eric Offereins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 68,662
Likes (Received): 28210

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
I still like the view from the river the most.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #6323
The_Bazz_92
Registered User
 
The_Bazz_92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cesenatico
Posts: 316
Likes (Received): 3

Are the surroundings going to take some more time to be completed?
The_Bazz_92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #6324
Onn
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The United States
Posts: 1,544
Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalus View Post
Was there a final height on the original plans or rendering?
No, it never made it into the plans. They originally announced the Trump in early 2001, with the tallest building in mind. But the design didn't come out until well after 9/11. They already scaled it back by then. There is a little something about it on Wikipedia, second paragraph.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_I...Tower_(Chicago)
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #6325
i_am_hydrogen
muted
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,080
Likes (Received): 203

Taken today:
image hosted on flickr
__________________
flickrgallery
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:26 AM   #6326
t_george
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 95
Likes (Received): 8



t_george no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:46 PM   #6327
carloseguis
auriverde de corazon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: cartagena de indias
Posts: 705
Likes (Received): 0

i like this project
__________________
se˝ores yo soy del real cartagena.......porque el real
es un sentimiento que se lleva en el corazon.........
carloseguis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 12:57 AM   #6328
friendsofthecity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,929
Likes (Received): 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Taken today:
image hosted on flickr
The image is not available.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 01:00 AM   #6329
friendsofthecity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,929
Likes (Received): 690

Donald Trump has always been a successful investor.This project is a testament to that during this financial crisis.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 02:30 AM   #6330
spectre000
Moderator
 
spectre000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 7,906
Likes (Received): 5171

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendsofthecity View Post
Donald Trump has always been a successful investor.This project is a testament to that during this financial crisis.
I'd say Trump is a survivor/comebacker more than anything, he's filed for bankruptcy twice afterall. And while this building is nearly complete, it's hardly a runaway financial success. The hotel is doing okay, but the condominium portion is a disaster right now.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #6331
t_george
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 95
Likes (Received): 8

9-03







t_george no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #6332
christos-greece
Moderator!
 
christos-greece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 173,948
Likes (Received): 240903

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3885881745/
__________________
Urban Showcase: Athens Kalamata Trikala Thessaloniki
Cityscapes: Paris Barcelona Dubai, U.A.E. Monte Carlo, Monaco
General photography: Castles of France - Chateau de France and, since May of '08: Greece!
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #6333
Assemblage23
▄bereinstimmend
 
Assemblage23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: GDL
Posts: 4,909
Likes (Received): 8103

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
I'd say Trump is a survivor/comebacker more than anything, he's filed for bankruptcy twice afterall. And while this building is nearly complete, it's hardly a runaway financial success. The hotel is doing okay, but the condominium portion is a disaster right now.
Are the sales doing that bad?
__________________


Wichtige ─nderungen beginnen immer mit ganz neuen Perspektiven.

-
Assemblage23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #6334
Dubai Skyscraper
Moderator
 
Dubai Skyscraper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Speyer, Germany
Posts: 11,972
Likes (Received): 2609

completed already?
Dubai Skyscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 11:41 PM   #6335
spyguy
Expert
 
spyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,916
Likes (Received): 97


Jess Loughborough/ flickr
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 12:10 AM   #6336
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast
 
cbotnyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 2,560
Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assemblage23 View Post
Are the sales doing that bad?
last I heard (some time ago) the building was 75% sold. However there were many resales on the market offered for less than the remaining 25%.
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 02:07 AM   #6337
spectre000
Moderator
 
spectre000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 7,906
Likes (Received): 5171

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
last I heard (some time ago) the building was 75% sold. However there were many resales on the market offered for less than the remaining 25%.
They pre-sold about 75% of the condos. But I've read in the news only about 30% have actually closed. Which is pretty evident if you look at the building at night, only a handful of windows in the higher floors are lit. Many units are being marketed now as rentals.

On the plus side, the hotel appears to be doing well.



This blog post below is from January 5, so it's quite a bit out of date, but it really doesn't matter, the market hasn't changed for the better in the last 8 months. It gives a nice overview of what's going on sales-wise. Keep in mind the number of units for sale that it quotes has increased dramatically over 2009. So the situation is even worse now than it was in January.

http://www.liveandplayinchicago.com/...chicago-tower/

Last edited by spectre000; September 5th, 2009 at 05:40 AM. Reason: added article link
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #6338
wrabbit
Registered User
 
wrabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,162
Likes (Received): 5

9/4

image hosted on flickr
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 10:50 AM   #6339
droneriot
Urban Hermit
 
droneriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cydonia Mensae
Posts: 4,664
Likes (Received): 2622

More updates of the base construction please!
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #6340
EnDleSsWaLtZ
Registered User
 
EnDleSsWaLtZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago, La Grange IL
Posts: 457
Likes (Received): 22

Spyguy, I darn near wet my self from the photo you posted! Amazing picture!
EnDleSsWaLtZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
adrian smith, chicago, donald trump, trump, trump tower

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu