daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old August 15th, 2007, 03:12 AM   #1441
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers
 
ZZ-II's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Ingolstadt in Bavaria
Posts: 33,504
Likes (Received): 6525

yes, 3 towers of the new WTC-complex will be far over 300m tall.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2007, 04:55 AM   #1442
MDguy
Registered User
 
MDguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,671

i took this 2 weeks ago so its old, but Ill post it because its kind of a different viewpoint

image hosted on flickr


and heres another one from 2 weeks ago

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by MDguy; August 15th, 2007 at 06:04 AM.
MDguy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #1443
spyguy
Expert
 
spyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,916
Likes (Received): 97


jatherton
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #1444
punkerz123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 45
Likes (Received): 0

wow looks so pretty
punkerz123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #1445
Mr. Alloy
Modulator
 
Mr. Alloy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 419
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagophotoshop View Post
its true. 3-15 is all parking. spots start at $40,000 each.
So the whole first section of the building, where the floor plan is the largest, is going to be completely a car park...

That's by far the stupidest design feature of a new world-class building I've ever heard of! That's going to be really ugly, it means anyone afraid of heights can't work in the building, because there isn't any office space near the ground, and what happens if cars go out of popularity? I'm not talking about in the next ten or twenty or fifty years, but I'm sure Trump is planning on having this thing around for a while.
__________________
Counting down the days to Jan. 30, 2009!

(Or Dec. 30, 2008. Whatev.)

Guess the final height of the Burj Dubai and get a shiny plaque!
Mr. Alloy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #1446
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast
 
cbotnyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 2,560
Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Alloy View Post
So the whole first section of the building, where the floor plan is the largest, is going to be completely a car park...

That's by far the stupidest design feature of a new world-class building I've ever heard of! That's going to be really ugly, it means anyone afraid of heights can't work in the building, because there isn't any office space near the ground, and what happens if cars go out of popularity? I'm not talking about in the next ten or twenty or fifty years, but I'm sure Trump is planning on having this thing around for a while.
Parking is completely necessary for such a large building, and there is no office space in this building, it is all hotel and condos. So your concern about people being afraid of heights is absurd.

And if cars do go out of use in 50 years, it would not be hard to transform those floors into usable space.
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #1447
Phoenix10123
Registered User
 
Phoenix10123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 54
Likes (Received): 1

wow can i juss say downtown is really not that big
Phoenix10123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #1448
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast
 
cbotnyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 2,560
Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix10123 View Post
wow can i juss say downtown is really not that big
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #1449
harvesterofsorrows
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 642
Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
What does he mean?
harvesterofsorrows no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 04:22 PM   #1450
zee
Jelly Bean!!
 
zee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: B'burn/ L'pool
Posts: 2,438
Likes (Received): 17

that the downtown isnt that big
zee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #1451
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast
 
cbotnyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 2,560
Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeshanney View Post
that the downtown isnt that big
first of all, that is way wrong, and what does that have to do with anything?
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 05:09 PM   #1452
Mr. Alloy
Modulator
 
Mr. Alloy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 419
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
Parking is completely necessary for such a large building, and there is no office space in this building, it is all hotel and condos. So your concern about people being afraid of heights is absurd.

And if cars do go out of use in 50 years, it would not be hard to transform those floors into usable space.
Okay, I forgot that there's no office space in this building. However, it still seems like a bad use of the space, when parking could just as easily be underground or in an adjacent lot. If floors 3-15 are being used for parking, they could alternatively use 5 or 6 underground levels, larger than the footprint of the building, plus some parking in the first two or three above-ground levels.

I guess there's no point in getting worked up about it, but if I were the architect, I'd have made different choices.
__________________
Counting down the days to Jan. 30, 2009!

(Or Dec. 30, 2008. Whatev.)

Guess the final height of the Burj Dubai and get a shiny plaque!
Mr. Alloy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #1453
prelude91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago...Soon to be Washington D.C.
Posts: 1,240
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix10123 View Post
wow can i juss say downtown is really not that big
Well it is the second largest CBD in North America
prelude91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #1454
Mr. Alloy
Modulator
 
Mr. Alloy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 419
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
first of all, that is way wrong, and what does that have to do with anything?
He (or she) might be commenting on the amount of parking also... Dunno.
__________________
Counting down the days to Jan. 30, 2009!

(Or Dec. 30, 2008. Whatev.)

Guess the final height of the Burj Dubai and get a shiny plaque!
Mr. Alloy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #1455
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast
 
cbotnyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 2,560
Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Alloy View Post
Okay, I forgot that there's no office space in this building. However, it still seems like a bad use of the space, when parking could just as easily be underground or in an adjacent lot. If floors 3-15 are being used for parking, they could alternatively use 5 or 6 underground levels, larger than the footprint of the building, plus some parking in the first two or three above-ground levels.

I guess there's no point in getting worked up about it, but if I were the architect, I'd have made different choices.
There are 2 or 3 levels of parking under Wabash. 3-15 is a bit much, but its something that simply had to be included. But like you said, no point in getting worked up about it.
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #1456
Phoenix10123
Registered User
 
Phoenix10123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 54
Likes (Received): 1

all im saying is i dont look that big from above now. omg that building is like gorgeous. um yeah
Phoenix10123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 05:53 PM   #1457
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast
 
cbotnyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 2,560
Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix10123 View Post
all im saying is i dont look that big from above now. omg that building is like gorgeous. um yeah
oh ok I understand now.
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #1458
Muse
Supernature
 
Muse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,590
Likes (Received): 32

So he's saying it doesn't look that big to him.

Well, it's not even 1/2 way up to roof yet.

Looks great so far!

...

Last edited by Muse; August 15th, 2007 at 06:47 PM.
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #1459
prelude91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago...Soon to be Washington D.C.
Posts: 1,240
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
So he's saying it doesn't look that big to him.

Well, it's not even 1/2 way up to roof yet.
He was saying Downtown Chicago doesn't look that big to him
prelude91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #1460
Muse
Supernature
 
Muse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,590
Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
He was saying Downtown Chicago doesn't look that big to him
OK. That is even funnier.

...

Last edited by Muse; August 15th, 2007 at 07:22 PM.
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
adrian smith, chicago, donald trump, trump, trump tower

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu