daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 23rd, 2007, 04:39 AM   #1521
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

8-21-07

Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:32 AM   #1522
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Likes (Received): 111

Nice pictures. It'll be nice when Trump Tower is rising above the buildings that surround it.
The cladding never fails to impress me.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:45 AM   #1523
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10139

diagram update
Old August 23rd, 2007, 07:20 AM   #1524
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

August 22, 2007

Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:13 AM   #1525
Ch.G, Ch.G

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider1983 View Post
I think my opinion may change once it's built...but cmon that design belongs in Dubai or Shanghai or something, not Chicago. Height is not so much the deciding factor but how well it blends and compliments the surrounding skyline...this building is not only totally isolated, but wouldn't really compliment anything if it were right in the Loop. Only time will tell for me, I'd have to see the finished product.
Logic like this would kill architectural innovation. How did Mies' Lake Shore towers look on the Chicago cityscape when they were first constructed? Like an aberration (albeit a beautiful one). But the rest of the city caught up, and rather quickly; in its wake, the John Hancock and Sears Towers were both erected, and have since become civic icons. How many buildings going up today continue to take their cues from the Miesian vocabulary? And yet, as elegant, as handsome as these latest incarnations are, they are also staid, treading water. Yes, they do create visual continuity and give mid-Century Modernism a makeover for the new millennium (perhaps better realizing the ideals outlined in <i>The International Style</i> than any attempts at Modern architecture since), but the fact remains: they're covering the same ground.

In the Chicago Spire you have a building that at once draws from the city's traditional architectural vocabulary (heavily influenced by Mies and the Chicago School) - geometry, symmetry, modularity, regularity (look at the floorplans, the design... all those elements are present) - and then gives them a little twist, in this case figuratively AND literally (...it was hard to resist). Calatrava's organic dynamism takes in all of the hallmarks of Chicago design principles and then breathes life into them. The result is a structure the exudes nature, that exudes natural form (which is, I think, an often overlooked component of "building green" but I guess that's for another topic). Innovative design at first blush might not always look like what came before it, but what came before it can still be seen in it; you just have to look harder.

Moreover, standing out on the Skyline next to the Sears Tower, CS serves as a counterpart, a progression from strict grid-like rectilinearly to a geometric curvilinearity. This kind of interaction, between the old and the new, an abdicated king and his successor, is as much a part of a balanced and progressive urban fabric as a seamless street wall.

So what will the CS portend? You can be sure that this kind of organic architecture will leave an indelible mark on architects in Chicago and around the world, not to mention the city's public - especially when Jeanne Gang's Aqua Tower goes up alongside it (another rebuke, albeit more subtle, to the "old order"). I'd say expect to see more work like this, even if it's on a smaller scale, in the years after its completion.
Ch.G, Ch.G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 07:24 PM   #1526
Alweron

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
thats a hellva statement coming from a New Yorker! I havent seen all of Trump's buildings, but this one has got to be up there. I just thank God he didnt do it in gold like his Vegas tower. I think Chicagoans would have burned it down as soon as it topped off!
That's propably the case, but as said, Las Vegas is quite different. Golden tower(s) fit(s) there perfectly all tho it's a bit tacky colour to be used in a highrise. There's no way Trump would build a golden tower in the middle of Chicago, which consists of white, black and grey buildings mainly.
Alweron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:46 PM   #1527
harvesterofsorrows
BANNED

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
diagram update
Awesome.
so we can used the height of the cranes to see where the next setback will be.
harvesterofsorrows no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 12:00 AM   #1528
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

I live in River Plaza and I didnt realize it already past us.
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 06:37 AM   #1529
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Taken on 8-23-07:

i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 11:07 AM   #1530
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

looking good
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 11:14 AM   #1531
ames
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

I love to kick u donald trump for this beauty you are the men...................
ames no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #1532
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 2002

Looking very good! This tower is stunning and no, it wouldn't have worked in Chicago with gold glass. There are other colors here in Vegas, The Wynn has cherry-coke tinted glass and The City Center has lime aid glass. Chicago has a more mature, conservative, business quality to it. Concrete-rebar, huh? Pray you never have an earthquake.
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #1533
matt_sbs

Likes (Received): 5

Progressing well
Old August 25th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #1534
KevD
Member since Sept. 2004

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
Love this shot!
Old August 25th, 2007, 07:56 PM   #1535
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Looking very good! This tower is stunning and no, it wouldn't have worked in Chicago with gold glass. There are other colors here in Vegas, The Wynn has cherry-coke tinted glass and The City Center has lime aid glass. Chicago has a more mature, conservative, business quality to it. Concrete-rebar, huh? Pray you never have an earthquake.
The ground under Chicago is very stable, with the worst normal occasional seismic shaking being barely noticeable, much like a train going by. IIRC, the very worst that might be felt there is if/when the New Madrid fault (extreme SE Missouri) explodes again, there will likely be some building sway and stuff falling off of shelves, but only minor to moderate structural damage, in Chicagoland.

I would fear heavy storms (like what hit a couple of days ago) much more than earthquakes in Chicago.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #1536
newyorkrunaway1
Skyscraper Guru

Likes (Received): 8

going great!!! cant wait to see the next step back!
newyorkrunaway1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #1537
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

9 more floors to go
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #1538
Hecago

Likes (Received): 4

So it's about 3/5 done, correct?
Hecago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #1539
DTGeek

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Concrete-rebar, huh? Pray you never have an earthquake.
Actually, in the event of a powerful earthquake, a tall reinforced concrete building is probably one of the safest places you could be. One of the main reasons rebar construction is often preferable to structural steel for thin skyscrapers is that the extra mass and shear walls makes the building more resistant to horizontal swaying from wind, but that also applies to seismic activity.
DTGeek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 06:46 AM   #1540
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTGeek View Post
Actually, in the event of a powerful earthquake, a tall reinforced concrete building is probably one of the safest places you could be. One of the main reasons rebar construction is often preferable to structural steel for thin skyscrapers is that the extra mass and shear walls makes the building more resistant to horizontal swaying from wind, but that also applies to seismic activity.
Earthquakes just don't play fair. The ground moves at the same rate and intensity whether there is a mammoth skyscraper there, or a feather! A mid-sized to strong earthquake would shatter the concrete and the structure would almost explode at the base, taking into account all of that weight! I seriously don't want that ever showing up on the news.
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, chicago, donald trump, trump, trump tower