daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which Concept Do You Prefer? And Your Reasons?
Eighth Wonder's Harry's Island 25 56.82%
Kerzner's Atlantis Sentosa 13 29.55%
Genting's Resorts World @ Sentosa 6 13.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 8th, 2006, 11:49 AM   #21
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

Breaking news: Genting wins the bid!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #22
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Likes (Received): 6

Yup... Just received the news too!

- Regardless of race, language or religion, to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity & progress for our nation.
Lastresorter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #23
pedang
One Malaysia

Likes (Received): 83

OMG
Old December 8th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #24
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Genting International-Star Cruises consortium lands Sentosa integrated resort project
By Wong Siew Yong, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 08 December 2006 1737 hrs

SINGAPORE: The Genting International-Star Cruises consortium has aced the Sentosa integrated resort project.

The result, just announced by Deputy Prime Minister Professor S Jayakumar at a news conference, came as no surprise as analysts had picked Genting as a frontrunner right from the start.

Its $5.2b Resorts World At Sentosa will leverage on international brand names like Universal Studios, which will design 16 new rides specially for the resort.

Besides the Universal Studios theme park, there will also be 3 other water-themed attractions, including a surf pool.

Visitors will be able to observe some 700,000 fish species in one of the world's largest oceanariums.

Genting's proposal also includes six hotels and a spa with over 1,800 rooms for both leisure and business travellers.

Earlier, market watchers had picked Genting as a favourite to win due to its Asian experience.

The resort is expected to attract 10 million visitors and generate $15 billion in tourism receipts by 2015.

The Sentosa integrated resort is expected to be ready in 2010. - CNA /dt
Old December 8th, 2006, 12:09 PM   #25
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Likes (Received): 6

Get ready to see Genting's shares to soar

- Regardless of race, language or religion, to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity & progress for our nation.
Lastresorter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 01:21 PM   #26
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

Aside for the architecture, I love Genting!
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 01:31 PM   #27
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone View Post
Aside for the architecture, I love Genting!
Yeah....to be frank, it has the most features and components compared to the other 2......too bad architecture only 20% of the overall score.....
Old December 8th, 2006, 01:46 PM   #28
redstone
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03 View Post
Yeah....to be frank, it has the most features and components compared to the other 2......too bad architecture only 20% of the overall score.....
8th Wonder's ideas sound good in the short run, but I doubt it will be good in the long run, like the artificial volcano, cooking and football schools.

My own personal summary:

Genting.
Asian experience, tropical climate experience. Most world famous theme parks are located at temperate climates. Attractions, viable in the long run, family and fun orientated. Also a global concept Universal Studios. For architecture, a pleasing design. But design can be improved. Graves reminds me of Aldo Rossi. Especially that building which looks like Hotel Attraction by Gaudi, I don't like that.

Kerzner.
Great architecture, sure to be a global icon. I believe it's one of Gehry's biggest works. But design is too overpowering, especially the sails.. Gehry could had opted for a less overpowering design, much like Dancing Building in Prague instead of something like Guggenhiem Bilbao. No comments on the attractions, but the idea to house whale sharks is not good. The beaming of "futuristic robotic creatures" on the "Sails" is also a bad idea.

Eigth Wonder.
No comments on architecture. Vera Wang's Hotel and wedding boutique? Pele football school? Culinary school? I don't think it will work in the long run, and the attractions are based on a person, and the concept... will just not work in the long run. As for the artificial volcano, I also doubt it will work.

Last edited by redstone; December 8th, 2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old December 8th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #29
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
8th Wonder's ideas sound good in the short run, but I doubt it will be good in the long run, like the artificial volcano, cooking and football schools.

My own personal summary:

Genting.
Asian experience, tropical climate experience. Most world famous theme parks are located at temperate climates. Attractions, viable in the long run, family and fun orientated. Also a global concept Universal Studios. For architecture, a pleasing design. But design can be improved. Graves reminds me of Aldo Rossi. Especially that building which looks like Hotel Attraction by Gaudi.

Kerzner.
Great architecture, sure to be a global icon. I believe it's one of Gehry's biggest works. But design is too overpowering, especially the sails.. Gehry could had opted for a less overpowering design, much like Dancing Building in Prague instead of something like Guggenhiem Bilbao. No comments on the attractions, but the idea to house whale sharks is not good. The beaming of "futuristic robotic creatures" on the "Sails" is also a bad idea.

Eigth Wonder.
No comments on architecture. Vera Wang's Hotel and wedding boutique? Pele football school? Culinary school? I don't think it will work in the long run, and the attractions are based on a person, and the concept... will just not work in the long run. As for the artificial volcano, I also doubt it will work.
Perhaps they could bring the Kerzner concept to the Southern Islands...
Old December 8th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #30
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

More details of the winning bid....

The winning elements in Genting's Resorts World at Sentosa
Posted: 08 December 2006 1945 hrs

The bid by [email protected] Bay Pte Ltd, a Joint Venture Company between Genting International & Star Cruises (“Genting”) to develop the Integrated Resort (IR) on Sentosa, has been described an excellent IR development that will strengthen Singapore’s overall appeal to visitors, positioning Sentosa and Singapore firmly as a top-of-mind, fun and exciting family destination.

In a news release, the Singapore Tourism Board said that the bids received from Genting, Kerzner CapitaLand Integrated Resorts Pte Ltd and Eighth Wonder Pte Ltd underwent rigorous evaluation of both the qualitative and quantitative factors, and Genting had submitted the best proposal overall.

The Resorts World at Sentosa design is a collection of resorts within a resort so visitors can have a multi-resort experience.

The anchor family leisure attractions include The Universal Studios Singapore Theme Park, The Quest Marine Life Park, The Equarius Water Park, The Maritime Xperiential Museum, and other entertainment offerings located along FestiveWalk.

Universal Studios will have its largest theme park in Asia at Resorts World at Sentosa offering 22 attractions within seven themed worlds, of which 16 will be specially designed for Singapore.
It will be developed at the east side of the IR site, using the theme “Ride the movies” and the attractions will be comparable to those found in Universal Studios Orlando and Islands of Adventure.

There will be seven themed worlds within Universal Studios Singapore namely: Waterworld, Lost World, Egypt, Super Hero City, Back Lot-The Big Apple, Hollywood Boulevard and Cartoon Studios.

Key highlights include the all-new “Journey to Madagascar” attraction and the Dreamworks Digital Animation Studios which will showcase the cutting edge of movie-making and real-time animation.

Resorts World at Sentosa will also offer other family entertainment experiences such as Quest Marine Life Park an oceanarium spanning 8 hectares with the largest single marine tank in the world, a 6.5 million gallon Whale Shark Lagoon, and interactive dolphin habitat, operated by the world-renowned Dolphin Quest.

Other attractions include the 1.3 hectares Equarius Water Park which is a water theme park custom-designed to integrate with the hillside terrain of Sentosa and a Maritime Xperiential Museum set at the waterfront.

This is expected to be the world’s first maritime silk route museum, dedicated to the subject of the maritime silk route between East Asia and the Middle East and will house the world’s first historical research centre dedicated to the subject. There will also be exhibits such as a full-scale glass replica of an ancient trading ship, a 360-degrees multimedia motion shipwreck theatre as well as live performances by acrobats on-board the ‘Bao Chuan” (Zheng He boat).

There will also be entertainment along the retail, dining and entertainment precinct of FestiveWalk, three public amphitheatres: The ShowPlace, an open-air 2,150 seat public amphitheatre; The Bull Ring, a 6,300 seating capacity amphitheatre; and Imagineering, a 1,714 seating capacity theatre which provides a magical dreamlike show with water, light and visual effects.

Visitors will also be able to catch the Crane Ballet, a showcase of multi-media moving art with choreographed animatronic crane dances nightly at the Festivewalk, with colourful streams of light, water and fire, all in sync with music and enhanced with video images on giant LCD screens.

Resorts World at Sentosa will also feature a resident show – ‘Le Vie’ (Life)which is put together by members from the same creative team behind the Cirque du Soleil blockbusters such as ‘KA’ and ‘O’ in Las Vegas.

There will be a total of six hotels offering 1,830 rooms including a first-in-the-world hotel - Hotel Michael - designed by award-winning architect, Michael Graves.

In addition, there is the ESPA Spa centre, offering programmes for wellness and self-improvement as well as 42 private ESPA Villas.

Visitors will also be able to be entertained at signature gourmet restaurants with Masterchefs such as Alain Fabregues, Alan Wong, Scott Webster, Marlon Abele-MARC Group, Gary Kunz, Harlan Goldstein, Susur Lee, Luke Mangan and Don Pintabona.

STB said the overall composition of buildings, form and massing responds well to the existing fabric of Sentosa.

The architecture is human scale with a village-like festive ambience. The site is well laid out, providing visitors with a clear visual orientation to key attractions and facilities.

What made the Resort devlopment attractive was the responsiveness to the tropical climate with extensive use of water, landscaping and materials such as stone and wood.

Most of the major attractions are designed with canopies, covered walkways and landscaped features to enhance visitors' experience in all-weather condition and there's been attractive night lighting to highlight the architectural features of the individual buildings and character of different zones.

There will be meeting facilities to host approximately 12,000 delegates in 3 key venues, namely; 1,600 theatre-style seating Le Vie Showroom / Plenary Hall , a 7,300 theatre-style seating Ballroom and 22 Meeting Rooms capable of hosting more than 3000 people.

In addition, there are seven indoor venues as well as 10 outdoor incentive venues.

There will also be flagship concept retail stores including new retail brands not currently in Singapore such as Bershka, Stradavarius, Cortefiel, Promod, as well as The Universal Store and Hamleys toy store. cna/sf
Old December 8th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #31
redstone
Lurker

Sounds exciting, but til now I still don't know the exact boundaries of the project and which buildings will be demolished for it.
Old December 8th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #32
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Sounds exciting, but til now I still don't know the exact boundaries of the project and which buildings will be demolished for it.
The current ferry terminal and the previous Asian Village will be replaced by Genting's Resort world and Universal Studios.....
Old December 8th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #33
redstone
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03 View Post
The current ferry terminal and the previous Asian Village will be replaced by Genting's Resort world and Universal Studios.....
Will there be a new ferry terminal?
Oh, and the huge forested area? Hope no historica buildings would be put at risk.
Old December 8th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #34
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Will there be a new ferry terminal?
Oh, and the huge forested area? Hope no historica buildings would be put at risk.
Dun think so.....no need for a ferry terminal as Sentosa Express will have a station at the Integrated Resort....
Old December 8th, 2006, 02:28 PM   #35
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Genting "ecstatic" over winning bid for Sentosa IR
Posted: 08 December 2006 2013 hrs

Ecstatic, extremely delighted, very excited and honoured.

The Genting International-Star Cruises Consortium used these choice words to sum up their feelings on the Friday evening announcement by the Singapore government that the Genting consortium had won the tender to develop the Sentosa Integrated Resort.

In a news release the Genting International-Star Cruises Consortium
said that it was ecstatic that Singapore accepted its proposal to develop Resorts World at Sentosa.

“We are extremely delighted to have been chosen and are very excited and honoured to be entrusted with the great task of taking Singapore’s tourism sector to the next level,” said Lim Kok Thay, Chairman of Genting International and Star Cruises.

“We have the means and ability to shift the paradigm of tourism here and look forward to contribute to the next chapter of Singapore’s tourism success story.”

Resorts World at Sentosa, will be launched by early 2010 and Lim said “The Consortium promises to deliver an integrated resort that
Singaporeans will be proud of, one that will contribute significantly to the local economy and community.”

“In three years, visitors will experience first-hand Resorts World at Sentosa,
the global tourism icon that we envision it to be. It will change the face of tourism in the region. We are confident that by 2010, Resorts World at Sentosa will attract 15 million visitors.”

Genting has committed a development investment of S$3.85 billion.
Together with the land price and other associated capital costs, the total investment by Genting is S$5.2 billion. Genting is expected to generate about $2.7 billion to Singapore’s annual Gross Domestic Product and about 30,000 jobs throughout the economy by 2015. cna/sf
Old December 8th, 2006, 02:29 PM   #36
JoSin
\Attituded\

Likes (Received): 226

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh no..very sad. I like harry island. ARH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant eat for many days already.

JoSin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 02:29 PM   #37
Magician
Hellexpress

Likes (Received): 129

Genting wins!!!
Old December 9th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #38
TopperCity

Definitely the Eighth Wonder's Harry's Island!!!
TopperCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 06:52 AM   #39
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

I think perhaps this thread has to be closed or merged.....since it has been annouced that Genting wins.....
Old December 9th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #40
jhae

Likes (Received): 0

wahh I WAS VERYVERY dissapointed, saddened acctually that genting won and not Harry's island or Kerzner..
these two showed what is the TREND for achitectural wonder.. being bold, innovative and DARING...
hrrr.. ehhe genting also joined in a competion for singapore.
the skypark idea that won, and gentings bid lost BWAHAHA..
i think thier concepts are REALLY boring(no offense.. but..ok relax)... but conventional persae..

this is such a sad news.. grrr.. just because of the universal studios package... huuhuh!!
*cries a river*

going back to the achitechtural wonders..
all of them have a possibity of being built on asian grounds..
hehe just hated that theres not that much achitectural thing in genting's design..
the idea of kerzner's daring stuctures are magnificent very Themed..
much as well the building designs for HARRY's island!! the best.. they offered
several looks for each themes.. and plus a good place to RELAX..
wehh with genting.. it seemed like another theme park just sprouted.. ok.. duh...
genting's designs are just done nothing looked new... sigh.. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
just hated the pannel wehh PEACE.. i just wished that theres a peoples consent..
like what is being done in canada.. lolz i'm such a design FREAK..
the only thing that would make me like thiers would probably
Oh well must accept what they have decided coz it's the singaproeans who will fund it
and not ours.. ^__^

Last edited by jhae; December 9th, 2006 at 05:52 PM.
jhae no está en línea   Reply With Quote