daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises

Highrises Discussions of projects under construction between 100-199m/300-649ft tall.
» Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 30th, 2007, 03:09 AM   #21
elliot

Likes (Received): 32

Gorgeous... nice to see the classic temple interpreted in glass/transparency.
elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2007, 03:29 AM   #22
Miso
Bang Bang!

Likes (Received): 0

Beautiful, really beautiful
Old January 30th, 2007, 03:29 AM   #23
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2461

Man, and I thought that Americans blew their wealth on pointless things.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 04:44 AM   #24
Civitas

What is the point in building another religious monument in this century !!

I believe, religion is just another artificial division in mankind like skin colour, caste and even country.

Rs. 600 crore can be spent to build a mega hospital or may be an educational hub. With some amount of planning, it could draw lot of tourist and in the same time it could have positive effect on human civilization.

As per my experience, most religious centers around the world are den of bad people.

I wish one day world will be free from temples, mosques, churches.

Btw, just to clarify, I am hindu and from the same state in India where this super tall temple is planned to be built.
"We reap what we sow. We are the makers of our own fate. The wind is blowing; those vessels whose sails are unfurled catch it, and go forward on their way, but those which have their sails furled do not…. Is that the fault of the wind?" - Swami Vivekananda.
Civitas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 04:48 AM   #25
Jai
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः

Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
^ Surely you must be talking about the Millenium Dome, except that only cost over 11 times more than this entire project, standing lonely, empty and unused by the Thames...

Whereas this entire project will employ tens of thousands in one of the poorest areas of India, singularly save an entire architecture tradition, will bring free state-of-the-art educational opportunities to tens of thousands of children that would not otherwise see the inside of a schoolhouse, generate tourist revenue that will be pumped right back into poverty alleviating social and economic developmental works in India, be a center of science, learning, and above all else an important place of pilgrimage and religious worship to over a billion people.

Yeah, what a waste of money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civitas View Post

I believe, religion is just another artificial division in mankind like skin colour, caste and even country.

Rs. 600 crore can be spent to build a mega hospital or may be an educational hub. With some amount of planning, it could draw lot of tourist and in the same time it could have positive effect on human civilization.

As per my experience, most religious centers around the world are den of bad people.

I wish one day world will be free from temples, mosques, churches
Civitas,
If you're against having religious places of worship in general, you are entitled to your opinion. However, if a religious monument is to be built, better it contribute significantly and continuously to social, economic, education development as well as pushing architectural envelopes as this project does, rather than simply be a monument to hubris.

Your comments very much need to be put in prespective. The temple itself will cost only $20 million dollars in its construction... that's absolutely penuts. The rest of the money goes to developing the surrounding district.

The project designed to generate real economic growth by being a main economic and spiritual catalyist, as well as a charitable works project on a massive scale. This was Prabhupada's original goal for this project when he first announced it in the '70s. ISKCON is very good at building their places of worship in very impoverished areas in order to bring wealth and development. I'm born and raised in Detroit, and I saw with my very eyes how the Bhaktivedanta Cultural Center in Detroit, established in an urban decay wasteland, contributed significantly and materially to the rebirth of what has become some of the most happening real estate in D-town. I've seen them literally give their entire collections, putting their temple in debt, to charity so that the homeless could be fed, and clothes given to needy children. In their later years, major civil rights activists like Rosa Parks used to come to the meet temple and take prasad on a regular basis, as they were so impressed about what they did for the community.

This sheer success at socio-economic empowerment is why the communist government of West Bengal opposes this Temple so much; because development in this region would no joke spell the death of the party.

The influx of tourists and pilgrims to see this project would bring tourism up by 1,000% in 10 years. This will bring over a billion dollars itself to this backwards and impoverished area of India. The Rs. 600 crore ($175 million) for the total project includes the $20 temple, as well as the development of the city around it, including hospitals, universities, schools, and the sheer ammount of infrastructure needed to accomadate so many new travellers. Moreover, they are building, with the help of the Ford Foundation, an examplar charitable foundation with years of experience, knowlege, human assets, and track record for successful anti-poverty reduction schemes, a Village Industries Park that will empower rural industry as well as the logistical network so that the village craftsmen of Bengal, who otherwise be one of the few Indians to loose by globalization, would be able to compete with the world in the production of local craft.

I honestly do not see anything wrong about this project. Sure I have issues with ISKCON's religious philosophy (which I find to be sometimes exclusivist) and organization (with suffers the bane of other organized religions and churches in thier political infighting), but if there is one thing that I can truely say with an open heart, is that ISKCON is damn, damn good at helping out the poor and most destitute. They are far, far more active in India than other religious sects in their social works.

This project is proof of it.

Cheers,
Jai

Last edited by Jai; January 30th, 2007 at 05:33 AM.
Jai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 05:22 AM   #26
*UofT*

Likes (Received): 18

Majestic!!, India needs more of these how long has it been since we saw construction of major iconic Hindu temples?? Most Hindu temples that you hear friends making trips to India were constructed hundreds of years ago..definetly need the modern era continue the old artistic architectural traditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
Actually, if you read close enough you will find that this structure would do wonders for the local area's tourist industry.. On top of that as Jai has already stated Hundreds and thousands will be employed in the actual construction of this temple. Hindu temples require specific detailed hand carvings from almost everything to the basement to pillars all the way to core.. Plus India is a society that values its spiritual fabric, even if your not convinced by the social/economic gains from such a structure how could you argue against the progress of architecural artistic impression in such a spiritual/faith oriented structure?
*UofT* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 05:31 AM   #27
ab041937
Learning Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
To preserve cultural heritage of a nation, its history, mythology & principled values.
"If I were to look over the whole world to find out a country most richly endowed with all the wealth, power and beauty that nature can bestow – in some part a very paradise on earth – I should point to India."

"There is no book in the world that is so thrilling, stirring and inspiring as the Upanishads." (‘Sacred Books of the East’)

- Max Muller, German Scholar
ab041937 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 06:27 AM   #28
Civitas

Jai, there are many ways to generate revenue, tourism and overall develop a poverty ridden region. You can build a Las Vegas or a Disney World ! There are even better ways too.

Some how I cannot accept any form of religious activity. It is my personal opinion. I know lot of people won't agree.

ab041937, look at your signature. Somehow it demonstrates that once upon a time India was best and hindu holy book is one of the best. I strongly feel that this is the problem with any religion. Hindu will say(or think in his mind) Gita/Upanishad is best, muslim will say Koran is final word and Christian will think bible is most sacred. So, religion is finally another way of dividing people. Just my way of thinking. No offense intended.
"We reap what we sow. We are the makers of our own fate. The wind is blowing; those vessels whose sails are unfurled catch it, and go forward on their way, but those which have their sails furled do not…. Is that the fault of the wind?" - Swami Vivekananda.
Civitas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 08:51 AM   #29
Don Omar
Bark twice if in Milwauke

Likes (Received): 36

a little off topic, sorry

but is it just so much more than that.

you cannot make such a bold statement about society and the human condition and justify it with it being just your 'personal opinion.' I think religion is best summed up by Dan Dennett in his TED presentation (yea he is a little crazy but the main idea is important). He says that religion is just like anyother aspect of nature that is used as a tool for humanity and he gives the example of a cow. If you look at the cow today it is no where close to what it was 5000 years ago. Humanity changed the cow through to serve what was needed. Religion or spirituality is apart of the human experience, even if it doesn't fit into the boxes of the three branches of Moses, Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Taoism, or Indigenous beliefs. Even those who do not believe in anything must have some sense of spirituality. It is ironic that Hinduism is the religion in question because it has changed a lot form the days early of the Rig Veda to the diversity it is today.
Given the case of 'the death of God' stated by Friedrich Nietzsche, in which even in the absence of god people still act ethical, thus we do not act morally because of god, but rather we act morally because it is ethical. Even in that sense there is some sense of spirituality.

And please this temple kicks Epcot's ass.

Black, White, New York you make it happen

- Beastie Boys
Don Omar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 10:37 AM   #30
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

Make a disneyland?
how boring and unoriginal is that!?

Thanks for the great info. Jai. But...
How will people get to the last floor? Will it have an elevator? remember, you said no steel...
Old January 30th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #31
Naga_Solidus

Likes (Received): 3

It's ironic that they won't have any steel, after all a significant number of old temples (most notably the Konark temple) feature steel frames. And needless to say, the Mayapur temple will have to withstand a lot more stress than the Konark temple.
Old January 30th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #32
kronik

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Jai, there are many ways to generate revenue, tourism and overall develop a poverty ridden region. You can build a Las Vegas or a Disney World ! There are even better ways too.

Some how I cannot accept any form of religious activity. It is my personal opinion. I know lot of people won't agree.

ab041937, look at your signature. Somehow it demonstrates that once upon a time India was best and hindu holy book is one of the best. I strongly feel that this is the problem with any religion. Hindu will say(or think in his mind) Gita/Upanishad is best, muslim will say Koran is final word and Christian will think bible is most sacred. So, religion is finally another way of dividing people. Just my way of thinking. No offense intended.
I can understand your idealistic viewpoint, but the fact is that religion will always remain in our society. That is what holds society together in any part of the world. Those worlds without Gods, Godless societies are limited only to science fiction and probably will remain there till the next world war, till the next world war destroys us all (unless mother nature decides to do that first).

I am okay with religions propagating their goodnesses, as long as they are not on the streets bent on killing who is not one of their own. Stop with the self-flagellation.
kronik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #33
Jai

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkid View Post
Make a disneyland?
how boring and unoriginal is that!?

Thanks for the great info. Jai. But...
How will people get to the last floor? Will it have an elevator? remember, you said no steel...
Koolkid, that’s a good question! I realize I should have prefaced that point that metal girders wouldn’t be used in the structure of the original temple plan, as it was to be made out of limestone and marble (like the Akshardham temple is in Delhi), however,in this new design, as they are making it with brick and sandstone, I’m not sure if or how the structure is designed. I think though that metal will be used within the building (for exhibits, planetarium, etc.) and for building services (elevators, fire fighting systems, etc.), but not in the monolithic building structure itself.

Hopefully I'll be getting more information on it soon

Cheers,
Jai
Old January 30th, 2007, 11:52 PM   #34
nukey
Somnium Quinti

Likes (Received): 7

Why do people always ask "why didnt the money go on a hospital?" when it is a religious or cultural project, and not when it is a huge and conspicuously expensive mall or sumsuch? Priorities please!!!!!
Old January 31st, 2007, 11:28 AM   #35
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

Thanks jai for your response

It wouldnt hurt to just walk up 35 stories, now would it?.. =D

see ya
Old February 2nd, 2007, 05:07 AM   #36
ab041937
Learning Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
My signature hasn't got any of my own spoken words. Its a quote from a learned scholar regarding what vedas & upanishads taught him. It was his desire to share his views with the world & I am simply carrying the message. But to say that I should roll it back simply coz it gives a feeling of superiority is simply nonsensical. I have put this signature since I believe in it & there is absolutely no harm in that. Religion is a way of life for every individual & there is absolutely no reason why he should shun it be it hinduism, islam, christianity, buddhism. There is absolutely no problem as long as one learns to live within his domain & respect other's. Trouble starts when people try to assert they way of life onto others through coercive means & the number of such individuals is minute compared to the majority of any community. Neutralize those individuals & the problem is solved. But, I don't see why we should stop building temples/mosques & churches simply for the reason that few people believe that it can divide communities.
"If I were to look over the whole world to find out a country most richly endowed with all the wealth, power and beauty that nature can bestow – in some part a very paradise on earth – I should point to India."

"There is no book in the world that is so thrilling, stirring and inspiring as the Upanishads." (‘Sacred Books of the East’)

- Max Muller, German Scholar
ab041937 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #37
VaastuShastra
BANNED

Civitas - any idealism is useless, whether religious or not.

Pragmatism is best. And pragmatically speaking, this will generate jobs and tourism, so why should anyone complain about it? These are private investors, and they can do what they want with their money.
VaastuShastra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:00 AM   #38
RajKhalsa

Wow! That looks great!
RajKhalsa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #39
Jai

It seems that this temple may have a twin in New York State!

American architect wants to construct Indian Vedic Centre
Quote:
Tuesday July 24, 09:13 AM

New York, July 24 (IANS) An American architect who has lived in India for over 30 years wants to build a Indian Vedic Center similar to one being constructed more than 100 km from Kolkata. Alfred J. Valerio wants to start work in December on an ambitious $40-million project, which he described as 'a little smaller than the Vatican', in the Southern Tier area of New York State.

The International Society for Krishna Consciousness, or ISKCON, is building the temple of the Vedic Planetarium on the banks of the Ganges near Navadvip, north of Kolkata. Once completed, the 35-storey complex will be one of the largest religious buildings. The project was made possible by a $40-million contribution by Alfred Ford, great grandson of Henry Ford and heir to the Ford Motors legacy.

Now Valerio, 67, is seeking space and support for a similar cultural project in New York to spread Indian Vedic philosophy. 'I want to do a duplicate here,' Valerio said. 'It will be one of the biggest art projects in history. It would be a cultural, healing, educational and artistic centre.'

The entire project would require 400-500 acres of land, which Valerio hopes to persuade New York State to donate, stargazettenews.com reported.

As Valerio envisions the project, it would contain a museum, a dairy farm, an art museum and a housing development for retirees. It would underwrite scholarships, provide support for representational art, serve free vegetarian meals and offer free education.

'It has to be near a river and have water in the northeast corner running west to east,' he said.

The centre would have gardens, greenhouses and an indoor swimming pool too.

'If I can get a commitment for state land, I'll do a whole business plan on it,' Valerio said. 'It would employ a lot of people, and it would be one of the biggest tourist attractions in New York State.'

Why an Indian cultural centre in an area that has a small Indian population compared with some major cities?

'I'd like to have it in a place where you would not expect it,' Valerio said.

'India has the greatest culture the world knows,' he said. 'This would show the Vedic understanding of all aspects of life and spread the Vedic philosophy.'
Old November 4th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #40
[email protected]
Global Citizen

Likes (Received): 6366

Fantastic looking temple.

I just wish India would also let their skyscraper design be influenced by their traditional architecture.
R@ptor no está en línea   Reply With Quote