daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises

Highrises Discussions of projects under construction between 100-199m/300-649ft tall.
» Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #41
Jai
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः

Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
Likes (Received): 79

Here are a couple more renderings for the temple that I'd forgotten to post:

Jai no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:23 AM   #42
Jai
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः

Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
Likes (Received): 79

I've found more photos of the Second Proposed Design for the Sri Mayapur Temple and surrounding Vedic Village. I'll quote from my original post:
Quote:
Second design:

After much debating, the Temple was once again redesigned to reflect the ancient city of Dvaraka, Krishna's capital city, which according to legend was so diverse and beautiful in its architecture that it was said to have inspired the various temple traditions of India:

Also added to this design was the conception of the Vedic Village that would surround the Temple, where traditional craft and industry would be promoted, allowing villagers in one of the poorest parts of India educational, economic and cultural opportunities, as well as the concept of using the river as it has traditionally been, a highway used to ferry pilgrims back and forth from holy sites. Hence a harbor was also planned.

The views of the redesigned Temple above to a larger scale than the very first rendering, which just consisted of the central island above. While the Temple itself hasn't changed much, the massive courtyard was redesigned to feature gardens and landscaping. Surrounding the main temple would be the Temple complex itself, which would contain exhibition centers, schools, monestaries and the like. The Vedic Village would surround this.

Just like the popular conception of Dvaraka encompassing north, south, central, east and west Indian temple architecture, this redesign is a very unique melding of all styles. The main tower iself is representative of the east Indian Bengali/Assamese architecture in its body, while the spire at top is from Orissan styles. The Temple's podium and main building design is based on traditional north and west Indian architecture, while western Rajasthani and Kashmiri inspired havelis (halls) would ring the building. The plan of the Temple compound evokes Deccan and coastal Southern traditions, while the Gopurams (pyramidal gates) are very much in the Southern tradition.

All in all, it was a fascinating plan, and, had it been the final plan, would by far be the largest and most comprehensive "blended" architecture temple design. I personally liked this plan the best. Unfortunately, detailed renderings of it were never made, as it hadn't gone much past the conception stage when it was changed once again.

-=----=---=--
The overall design of the Temple at this stage was done by Architect Ganesh Ramachandran, at the Mayapur Master Plan office in Bangalore:

^ From the above two drawings, it is evident that that the Vedic City master plan is inspired by the sprawling temple cities of South India, with its layout, walled compounds, and water gardens

^ You can clearly see the fusion of Indian architectural styles in this temple proposal. The central, north Indian inspired main temple, and the south Indian inspired Gopurams (pyramidal temple gate towers) ringing outer walls

Cheers,
Jai
Jai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 12:49 PM   #43
SSCwarrior

Likes (Received): 569

Sorry to bump a 10 year old thread but this one is almost complete. I guess this is where all of ISKCON's donated money is going to but at least no public funds were used (other than trunk infra i guess but that benefits the whole town)

SSCwarrior no está en línea   Reply With Quote