SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Fotos Antigas de Angola | Pre War Angola Photos

340K views 518 replies 67 participants last post by  Lino 
#1 ·
Angola was such a beautiful place before the war. Very nice and well-planned cities. It desserves its own thread. Although most of us weren´t born when all these pictures here where taken, I will try to capture the pre-war era! Let´s all hope and pray that this country gets rebuilt quickly and efficiently! :) Most of the pictures date back to the late 60´s and 70´s!

THE CAPITAL LUANDA

cinema complex

a hypermarket in the eraly 70´s:)

buildings under consruction

public garden

a school/university

public garden:cheers:

....TO BE CONTINUED

See less See more
#17 ·
City of Malange

public garden in Malnge:cheers:

Banco do Angola in Malange

chamber of commerce in Malange

entry to another parc in Malange

one hospital in Malange

airport of malange

more street scenes

nice café in front:cheers:

school in Malange

more streets scenes

cinema in Malange

#38 ·
i agree with your overall argument but as africans we will be well adviced to learn the good things about how our colonial masters developed our respective countries and stop running down the infrastructure and looting all the money through corruption etc and as usual 50 years down the line, blame it on our colonial masters.

#19 ·
Sure infrastructure was better etc however we shouldn't look back on colonial times as if they were better. It is without doubt the darkest era in african history.
Sims, yes you are pefectly right that we shouldn´t look back but Angola before that bloddy war was a place of massive potential! I WANTED TO PORTRAY IT TO THE FORUMERS AND BEYOND because I do think that few people knew that there were nice cities and towns outside Luanda. Some of those beautiful cities have been literally wiped off the surface now! And that really pains to see (I saw pics of Kuito and Huambo and it is heart-breaking). One cannot deny the fact that Angola lost more than 30 years in development, reconstruction efforts have to be enormous! And don´t forget if those cities are rebuilt, what a potential for tourism. Tourists flock to South America to see those old buildings, they could also come to Angola some time in the future. Angola culture, Portuguese remnants, and the projects that are going up and will go up in the future, a great and varying landscape...it all adds diversity to Angola, to my mind! And if well marketed it could be a fantastic money-spinner! it could also be a place for the ad and film industry....ohh, I am just dreaming!:)

PS: Honestly said, I cannot think of any country outside South Africa that had SO MANY well-planned and beautiful cities in sub-saharan Africa in the 60´s and 70´s.
LET´S ALL HOPE AND PRAY THAT ANGOLA GETS REBUILT QUICKLY!:) I HATE WARS!!! If all this mess hadn´t taken place, how would have Angola looked today, just imagine?!

#26 ·
some car racing photos
:cheers:

Here are some photos of car racing and the circuits and autodromes, there were two in Angola. photos are mainly taken in 60´s and 70´s . (two autodromes: one in Luanda that opened in 1972 and one in Benguela).

Benguela´s autodrome

Luanda car race

Luanda´s autodrome

..when it was built in the early 70´s

some car racing in Angola´s provinces (like in Huambo, Lobito, Novo Redondo and Namibe)

PS: it would really be nice to see an African "Michael Schuhmacher" from Angola some time in the future!:lol: Hopefully the car racing sports will be revived in the years to come!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.