daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > Angola > Fotografia > Angola em imagens

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 8th, 2009, 02:34 AM   #81
MargaridaDeSa'Sawyer

Likes (Received): 0

Fantastic photos that remind me of the olden days when I was growing-up in the unforgetable country of Angola!

Mr Mathias Offodile, what a fantastic selection of photos from the olden days of Angola history!
I really loved the opportunity to view those photos, it was a good reminder of my years as a youngster living and growing up with my Portuguese family in that fantastic country in the 60's & 70's.

If possible I would love to see many more photos from Angola.

Some examples will be of the following:
_ Colegio Augusto Gil ("Ensino Primario"/ a Primary education institution a few streets away from the "Hospital Militar de Luanda");
_ Images from "Bairro da Terra Nova" (photos near the front & back of the "Military Police" barracks / fotos perto da frente & por tra's do quartel da Policia Militar);
_ Images of "Rua Gago Coutinho" (in the "Bairro da Terra Nova", where we lived for many years);
_ Images of the "Hospital Militar de Luanda" (where my late father worked for a while, and we also end-up passing our last days in Luanda, in refuge until our departure to the airport in 1975);
_ Images of the airport of Luanda (o aeroporto de Luanda);
_ Images of "Estrada de Catete";
_ Images of the well-known newspaper na Estrada de Catete (Sorry, I have forgotten de name of the newspaper, I think it's name had just 3 or 4 letters);
_ Escola Preparatoria (I've forgotten de name, but I think it was not far from the technical institute);
_ Images of Liceu D. Guiomar de Lencastre (also known as the "Liceu Feminino" that I did attend in 1974 and 1975);
_ Instituto Tecnico de Luanda;
_ Images of the beautiful "Ilha do Mussulo" (various parts of the island and also the vessel that did the transfers between the shores in the Luanda side and the arrival wharf in the Mussulo Island);
_ Images of "Barra do Quanza" (images around that famous area of the restaurants by the water);
_ Images of "Barra do Dande" (near the river, and also images from the beach on the ocean-side); etc.

And also other examples of photos outside de Luanda:
_ Images from any of the waterfalls (examples: "Barragem de Cambambe", "Barragem de Salazar");
_ Images of Mocamedes (showing the original and magnificent plant & flower native to the Mocamedes & Namibia Deserts, the "Welwitschia Mirabilis";
_ The location of Viana (and any images between Luanda and Viana - where we did traveled so often);
_ City of "Salazar";
_ City of "Dondo";
_ images of "Caxito"; etc.

Or any other photos of Angola (from the olden days & also current ones).
It will be fantastic to view more photos of other areas of Angola (but especially of Luanda), to remind me again of the many areas I had the opportunity to see while living and growing-up in Angola as a youngster with my Portuguese family, until I was 14 years old (from 1962 until the independence from Portugal in 1975).

Now I live in Australia with my own Australian/Portuguese family, but I really miss those years growing-up in Angola until 1975.
I look forward to view more amazing photos of that really fantastic country that I still miss so much, and that I'll never forget those lovely years growing up in that beautiful African country.
I hope I can re-visit one day, but until then I'll be very happy to see more photos!

Kind Regards,
Margarida de Sa'-Sawyer
MargaridaDeSa'Sawyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 8th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #82
mbanzacongo

Likes (Received): 9

Margarida eu tenho uma pergunta para ti
voce nasceu e viveu algum tempo da tua vida em Angola
Do you not see your self as a Angolan? why do you say (Portugese family)
your a white Angolan Africana branca your the same as us
whey are black and mulat but that wil not say that we are more angolan than you you are angolan to

ps its not a atack its just a question why ok
Old August 6th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #83
Lost Cosmonaut
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

A cidade da Angola colonial eram melhores que a maioria das cidades brasileiras de hoje em dia.
Lost Cosmonaut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #84
agostinho

Likes (Received): 136

Dear Margarite, some places you are talking about, changed for better but, the most of them for bad and others simply don't exist anymore.algúns simplesmente não existem mais. you'd better keep on looking for them at internet to remind you your past there. é melhor ires continuares a procurar por elas na net.enfim, consequencias da guerra. unless you just want to deal with the present, you might tough be surprised by the positive, some are still there. vai pesquisando e talvez tenhas sorte. um abraço.
agostinho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #85
popa1980

Likes (Received): 1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanzacongo View Post
Margarida eu tenho uma pergunta para ti
voce nasceu e viveu algum tempo da tua vida em Angola
Do you not see your self as a Angolan? why do you say (Portugese family)
your a white Angolan Africana branca your the same as us
whey are black and mulat but that wil not say that we are more angolan than you you are angolan to

ps its not a atack its just a question why ok
I actually found a very interesting book on google which surveyed white Angolans in the 60s and found out which percentage of them considered themselves Angolan or Portuguese. I'll try and find it for you. Very intersting read.
popa1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #86
aleddd

Wars are very usefull: How could gouvernements get soldiers to enforce their policies without them? And how could weponry industry exist without wars? And how could the powerful shape the peoples at their will without the "defence of our country" or of "our religion" or "our superior cultural values"???
Yes, war is a very usefull excuse to curb and keep exploiting the peoples...!
aleddd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #87
dangermouse

I've just managed to find a DVD of a 1970s Angolan promotional film called

Angola - No Outro Lado do Tempo

Anyone else seen / heard of this production??
dangermouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #88
angolanchico

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
I've just managed to find a DVD of a 1970s Angolan promotional film called

Angola - No Outro Lado do Tempo

Anyone else seen / heard of this production??
yes!!
angolanchico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #89
baersworth

Thanks for the photos. People like us in Asia have little chance to see how African countries look in the old days. Those are the evidence of how beautiful African countries could be, if they live in peace and under proper management. Though in the old colonial days, the native Africans would not have a fair share of the wealth of their own country and those beautiful places may mainly be enjoyed by the whites. However, if politics are put aside, seeing those old photos do show those countries have a lot of potentials.
baersworth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #90
Matthias Offodile

Likes (Received): 1733

hrrm excuse me but Angola is rebuilding, baersworth!

please have a look at the other threads
Matthias Offodile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 01:18 AM   #91
Teresa Lacerda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Offodile View Post
Angola was such a beautiful place before the war. Very nice and well-planned cities. It desserves its own thread. Although most of us weren´t born when all these pictures here where taken, I will try to capture the pre-war era! Let´s all hope and pray that this country gets rebuilt quickly and efficiently! Most of the pictures date back to the late 60´s and 70´s!

THE CAPITAL LUANDA

cinema complex

a hypermarket in the eraly 70´s

buildings under consruction

public garden

a school/university

public garden

....TO BE CONTINUED
Senhor Matthias: agradeço todo o esforço feito para colocar aqui estas fotos de Angola. Nasci em Angola mas ainda não voltei lá. Talvez um dia o faça...

Teresa Lacerda
Teresa Lacerda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 11:06 PM   #92
Lucky Lukas

Likes (Received): 1

What a fantastic set of photos. I've never been to Angola in my ilfe but I feel nostalgic! It reminds me a lot of Lourenco Marques - another place I've never been to.

Margarida - why don't you go back and see for yourself?
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:29 PM   #93
Matthias Offodile

Various Luanda pics from 1950s to early 70s

Courtesy of anolaxyami.com
Old February 5th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #94
Matthias Offodile

Quote:
Mega Tourism & Leirsure project (Mussolo 75):

several five star hotels
a tower with viewing platform and "sky bar" and revolving restaurant
international golf courses
a mega shopping mall
small chalets
markets for integration of local communities
two boutique hotels (funny that boutique hotels already existed in the early 70s)
the world famous - if not the best clinic- Mayo clinic (directly from Germany)...google for it if you don´t believe me
an aqaurium
a marina
an amphi-theatre for performances
a zoo,
numerous public tropical gardens
a landing dog for British-style hovercraft which would have connected Luanda with Mussolo in less than 10 minutes...
partial views of the project...a bit faded ..conceived in 1968 ..should have been completed in 1975

maquete do complexo de mussulo

Vista parcial da maquete

Hotel de luxo (5 estrelas) com 308 quartos

Torre com piso giratório

perspectiva de uma unidade residencial

clube naval e marina

vista área da maquete de mussulo, 1968

Sede social tropical, em forma de oásis, com piscina para crianças.

This would have been better, less artificial and bigger than South Africa´s Sun City Complex which was built in the 70s as well.

Quote:
ENGENHARIA - URBANIZAÇÃO

MUSSULO 75

Memória descritiva do complexo turístico, na península do Mussulo, em Angola.

Estudos realizados em 1971 pela Tecnitur — Técnica, Gestão e Promoção de Empreendimentos Turísticos, S. A. R. L. (LISBOA) sobre a evolução das tendências dos principais países geradores de turismo e de outros que, a prazo relativamente curto, virão a situar-se nessa categoria, conduziram à conclusão que a África Austral, com predominância dos territórios situados na costa ocidental, detêm um potencial de captação turística invulgarmente importante.

Por razões que forçam a ter em conta situações geográficas e humanas, e a considerar portanto, características climáticas e ecológicas, bem como a existência de atractivos naturais múltiplos, e logo, todo o contexto étnico, cultural e inter-racial, sendo este último de marcada expressão de favorável co-existência, foi a Tecnitur, levada a concluir através dos seus estudos que Angola é no aspecto turístico o território mais privilegiado de toda a costa africana acima referida.

Era de esperar, e assim se veio a verificar, que as competentes autoridades centrais e provinciais dariam todo o apoio e facilidades tendentes a permitir a promoção, num espaço de tempo relativamente curto, da construção de um complexo turístico em Angola, que logo na sua fase inicial dificilmente poderá ter paralelo em todo o continente africano.

Para a execução de tão ambicioso projecto, que apesar da sua arrojada concepção, deve obedecer inflexivelmente a uma harmoniosa integração em relação às características do local de implantação, a Tecnitur concluiu, dos estudos prévios, que a implantação ideal para esse complexo turístico se situaria sobre uma área de 120 hectares na extrema norte da Península do Mussulo.

A excelência da zona cuja escolha foi então, para o efeito, preconizada, deve-se não apenas à sua já conhecida e apreciada beleza natural e às suas características de potencial recreativo, mas ainda muito particularmente pela sua proximidade da cidade de Luanda — centro urbano em expansão altamente acelerada — servida por porto marítimo e aeroporto dimensionados em escala internacional e isenta de restrições naturais a uma futura ampliação.

Vista parcial da maquete

Por escritura notarial, de 27 de Junho de 1972, foi criada a Sociedade Turística do Mussulo, S. A. R. L., com sede em Luanda.

Será esta Sociedade, na qual a Tecnitur detém 51 do capital, que executara nos moldes previstos o «Complexo Turístico do Mussulo», assegurando-se através dum «Plano Director» — cuja execução foi confiada pela Comissão de Turismo da Corimba à Tecnitur — de um ordenamento da região, afim de evitar a destruição maciça da sua beleza natural através da proliferação anárquica de núcleos de tipo indesejável, atraidos pela proximidade dum grande centro turístico.

Estima-se o investimento total em cerca de 1.200 milhões de escudos, sendo as seguintes as peças integrantes do complexo:

Hotel de luxo (5 estrelas) com 308 quartos, 13 suites simples, luxo e presidencial, tendo todas as dependências de apoio, tais como cabeleireiro, barbearia, lavandaria, bares, «boite», salões de conferências, salas para banquetes, restaurantes, piscinas, lojas, 4 «courts» de tenis, mini-golf, sala de jogos, saunas para cavalheiros e senhoras.

Hotel Classe A (4 estrelas) com 200 quartos com as respectivas dependências de apoio incluindo, cabeleireiro, barbearia, lavandaria, bares, «boite», sala de conferências, salas para banquetes, restaurantes, piscinas, lojas, 3 «courts» de tenis, sala de jogos e saunas.
Hotel de luxo (5 estrelas) com 308 quartos

Aquatel composto de 50 unidades «aqua-home» de 34 com possibilidades de ampliação para 100 unidades e os necessários apoios de terra em edifício próprio, compreendendo restaurante, «snack-bar», bares, piscinas para adultos e crianças, posto de abastecimento de combustível, lavandaria, etc.

Torre com piso giratório para restaurante de luxo, com bar-boite, restaurante e terraço no topo.
Possibilidade de fazer no andar térreo um grande restaurante popular com «self-service» que dará apoio aos banhistas que eventualmente afluam àquela zona.
Torre com piso giratório

Restaurante ao ar livre, tipo marisqueira-churrasqueira com comidas típicas e características da região, com a particularidade de provocar aglomerações isentas de preocupação de indumentária.

Clube Naval, situado em local extremamente privilegiado, com um grande ancoradouro em frente da baía e dispondo das seguintes instalações:

- Sede social tropical em forma de oásis
, com piscina para crianças. Terá também portaria e zelador; salões de estar, play-ground, etc. O Club disporá para alugar de equipamento e embarcações adequadas a pesca desportiva, caça submarina, ski-aquático, vela, «motor-boating», etc.

Centro comercial composto de 8 células
rectangulares com características individuais, dispondo cada uma, de lojas moduladas para vários tipos de comércio, discotecas, bares, etc., ficando incorporado numa dessas células um cinema.

Micro-mercados. Cada um destes micro-mercados consta de uma pequena instalação que servirá de apoio directo aos residentes locais,
o mesmo acontecendo com o mercado de alimentos frescos.

Edifícios para utilização em alternativa como Aparthotel ou apartamentos privativos:

- 70 unidades de dois pisos que funcionarão como simples habitações moduladas, subdividindo-se, em 9 unidades independentes. Cada grupo terá um apartamento para governante, copa, rouparia, uma piscina, «courts de ténis, play-ground e jardins.

- Cerca de 300 «bungalows» de tipos diferentes, oferecendo o máximo de conforto e privacidade e localizados em face ao mar.
perspectiva de uma unidade residencial

Aquário
para exibição de peixes da fauna submarina tropical local e de outras regiões quentes do globo, no qual será também instalada uma piscina para golfinhos amestrados.

Mini-zoológico de aves, bem enquadrado dentro do arranjo paisagístico do complexo, reunindo as mais vistosas aves dos climas quentes.

Anfiteatro para folclore angolano, complementado com pequeno museu etnológico integrado em aldeamento nativo característico da região.

4 cais públicos, sendo um exclusivo para o Club Naval e outro para o Aquatel.

clube naval e marina

O transporte entre o complexo turístico e a costa nas imediações de Luanda, será feito por embarcações de tipo Hélicraft (tempo do percurso cerca de 10 minutos), prevendo-se também unidades deste tipo para excursões pela costa, incluindo a reserva de caça da Quissama situada apenas a poucas dezenas de quilômetros de distância e fàcilmente alcançável por mar ou por terra.

Clínica de Diagnóstico especializado tipo «Mayo»:

Aproveitando a situação geográfica do empreendimento, sua dimensão e características, sua proximidade da cidade de Luanda e ainda por razões de ordem vária, decidiu a Sociedade Turística do Mussulo instalar no seio do seu complexo uma Clínica de Diagnóstico altamente especializado. qualitativamente equiparável à DKD,(Deutsche Klinik für Diagnóstik) de Wiesbaden-Alemanha. Os estudos para a concretização deste objectivo foram já confiados ao Prof. Alfred Dõttl, que é autor do estudo da famosa «DKD» a qual também dará o seu «Know how» à Clínica de Diagnóstico do Mussulo, que se prevê vir a ser a de maior nível técnico de todo o continente africano e que como tal não deixará de atrair pessoas provenientes dos países vizinhos para além da população de Angola. O valor do seu apoio ao corpo clínico de Angola será inestimável e o projecto mereceu por parte das autoridades o mais caloroso e entusiástico apoio.

Foi ainda prevista para uma fase futura uma grande construção circular para jogo, cinema, sala de conferências, salões de festa, etc. O prazo previsto para a construção total do empreendimento é de 5 anos, prevendo-se, porém, que a maior parte possa estar concluída até fins de 1975, motivo pelo qual a Imprensa, que com interesse tem seguido as fases preliminares do nascimento deste complexo, já o designa por «Mussulo 75».
Source: http://www.lolocornelsen.com.br/enge...%20mussulo.htm

PS: Plans existed to upgrade Luanda/Angola to a top tourism destination in the world with cruise ships arriving from far away. And a lot of room for expansion in the future ...due to the independence chaos this project never materialized which would have placed Angola instantly on the world tourism map and would have made the country pretty famous (beyond plain business tourism)..Bear in mind we are talking of early 1970s...at that time no "Dubais, Shanghais", or glitzy Asian metropolisis existed...even tourism in famous Thailand was almost non-existent at that time.

The effect of such a project would have been staggering....it reminds me a bit of the Riveria project in Abidjan in the 1970s

Hopefully, it can be revived in the future...of course a more modern version, we are no longer in the 70s...but still this project called "Mussolo 75" is awe-inspiring, no doubt about it
Old July 19th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #95
Matthias Offodile

The viedo shows Sá da Bandeira/Lubango in the early 1970s...I never knew that there was real big industry back then in this part of the country.

the video also show nightlife, many angles of this fabulous quaint city (ground level and air)...and a lot of agro-industry...I can´t believe that this was 40 years ago!

Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:12 AM   #96
popa1980

Matt, you need to stop this obsession with the past. Btw, did you notice anything in common about the people in the nightclub, all the people driving the racing cars, all teh people riding horses? Then do you notice something in common about all the poor people doing menial farm labour? Thats your wonderful pre-independence times in a nutshell......
Old July 22nd, 2010, 04:48 PM   #97
evany
skxawng by tsu'tey

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by popa1980 View Post
Matt, you need to stop this obsession with the past. Btw, did you notice anything in common about the people in the nightclub, all the people driving the racing cars, all teh people riding horses? Then do you notice something in common about all the poor people doing menial farm labour? Thats your wonderful pre-independence times in a nutshell......
dude why you keep coming here and hatin on us?who call you here?let matt do is work...you like a stone in somebody's shoes...this is not Oasis...where you from anyway???because you are tryin' so hard to put Angola down...but guess what you are not going to make it...MANGOLE KUIA BUEEEEE hater
evany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 05:25 PM   #98
popa1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by evany View Post
dude why you keep coming here and hatin on us?who call you here?let matt do is work...you like a stone in somebody's shoes...this is not Oasis...where you from anyway???because you are tryin' so hard to put Angola down...but guess what you are not going to make it...MANGOLE KUIA BUEEEEE hater
Please stop this ghetto English. I dont know why its become so popular amongst the diaspora. Especially amongs the Angolans I meet in the UK. Why is this?

Last edited by popa1980; July 22nd, 2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 12:56 PM   #99
Matthias Offodile

Popa1980,

you can never contribute to this or other threads in a meaningful way.....and it speaks volumes. Come on, little boy...go and give it up.

Btw, I thought you were toruing South America...You have a lot of time visiting this and other threads.

But maybe this is just one of your constant lies.

Popa1980, is a shameless hypocritical person that has a problem with certain countries. I have been following this guy´s posting for years now.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 12:58 PM   #100
Matthias Offodile

Quote:
Originally Posted by popa1980 View Post
Please stop this ghetto English. I dont know why its become so popular amongst the diaspora. Especially amongs the Angolans I meet in the UK. Why is this?
Alone this sentence speaks volumes of what you think about Angolans.

Moreover, we don´t you speak in Portuguese which you claim to be able to master well.