daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 12th, 2006, 03:56 AM   #21
Harkeb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

tower 2 will seriously damage Dubai's skyline.
The headquarters of Mr Burns (Holmer Simpson's Boss)?
Harkeb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2006, 04:35 AM   #22
frank gerry

Likes (Received): 0

i like the first one with only one tower that twin tower may not fit with the Dubai skyline better keep it in the drawing boards
frank gerry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 04:45 AM   #23
harsh1802
MAVerick

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by harberk View Post
tower 2 will seriously damage Dubai's skyline.
The headquarters of Mr Burns (Holmer Simpson's Boss)?

The first one looks terrific.....but i think it would be better if we look at more renders of the second one and then pass the judgment on it.

Webcams Thread / Hyderabad Cityscapes

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins
harsh1802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 04:45 AM   #24
Brendan

Likes (Received): 23

First = great.

Second = Ugly, as do most of Dubai's buildings look.
Brendan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 05:10 AM   #25
SaRaJeVo-City
BANNED

Likes (Received): 17

first one is awesome, second one starts out great but as it gets to the tumor it just turns from WT...into WTF!
SaRaJeVo-City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 07:33 AM   #26
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4206

I like the second one more. Looks alive.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 08:26 AM   #27
Captain Howdy

I agree with whoever said the second one looks like it has a big tumor growing out of its side scary
Captain Howdy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #28
Dubaiwonders

The first is prety good but the second is really a nightmar
Old December 13th, 2006, 12:31 AM   #29
[email protected]
Funk Master

Likes (Received): 5

Go for the 1st, because the second render does not look like duba´ style
Old December 13th, 2006, 03:23 AM   #30
tbor
Registered ol' fart

Likes (Received): 451

The first one is utterly forgettable.

The second one is weird, but at least we would have something to b!tch about on this forum for a while.
tbor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 03:26 AM   #31
rj2uman
Maker of Lumpia

Likes (Received): 7

LOL I love all the comments. But have to ask not why they would add those bulbous additions. But what are they for? Offices? Skybridges? Observation? If they don't have a special purpose (not just a general one) I agree they are horrible.
Old December 13th, 2006, 03:31 AM   #32
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threehundred View Post
The second building looks like it has leprosy.

The first one is nice though.
it looks like some kind of necrophiliac leprosy
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 05:22 AM   #33
Daireon
The lunatic is in my head

Likes (Received): 5555

Even though the first one is great, i'd go for the second one. It's so original and ...weird! I want to see it built. I've never seen something like that, and as someone has already said, we need more renders to give a final judgement.
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #34
KB

Likes (Received): 6805

How dare do they publically display sex in that second building?

I like the first one though.
KB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 08:52 PM   #35
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbor View Post
The first one is utterly forgettable.

The second one is weird, but at least we would have something to b!tch about on this forum for a while.
Sort of agree with this, which is why I'm not too fond of either proposal. The first looks good by itsself but doesn't fit into the context (dwarfs all the szr towers) and doesn't have much that's special about it.
The second is not boring and definitely makes a statement but goes a tad too far. Some people like to compare architecture with sculpture or some other art but it really is not the same. Why? Because if you make something ugly people will go to the museum and either say "yuck" or "hmm, interesting" or "wow, what a change from the norm" but once they leave the museum everything is back to normal. With a building, especially a tall one the general public will have to endure your piece of shit for decades and there's no escaping it. I know if I was a kid this thing would scare the shit out of me, I could easily imagine a kid walking out of the DIFC metro station and seeing this tower above them and start crying their eyes out )
In art you don't have to care what everyone else thinks but in architecture you DO because you design your building for the general public and is to be used by them, etc.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #36
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

A recent article:

The world's first zero-carbon emission tower could be built in Dubai, Construction Week has learned.

Atkins Middle East is currently working on the design of the building, which will be located in Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC).

Lee Morris, senior architect, Atkins Middle East, said that the tower is in the early stages of design.

"We are working on a potential project for DIFC and are looking at it having zero-carbon emission. The tower would produce its own power - enough to counter the energy use of the building. Now that would be a huge goal."

He added: "It is conceptual, but it has been given a piece of land, and it has been approved by HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum [vice-president and prime minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai]."

In order to achieve its ultimate design, Morris said that Atkins will focus on the tower's orientation, the increased thermal insulation of the building, along with high-volume photovoltaic cells.

The company is also looking into integrating wind turbines on the building.

"It will be expensive - it has to be because the technology we are going to be using is probably a couple of years away from the mainstream," said Morris.

According to Morris, the move to build an iconic building that is sustainable reflects a growing change in Dubai.

"Once you get this groundswell it is going to be awesome and will be hard to resist. The Dubai government has signed the Kyoto protocol, so it has made a commitment to engage on this. And as the country and development matures, particularly as it is a young society, and it is this same society that will bring in views on this kind of thing, I think the next few years will see a sea change."

Atkins' sustainable building projects in the region include the Bahrain World Trade Centre, which uses wind turbines to generate up to 15% of the building's energy, and the Trump Tower on Palm Jumeirah, which has vertically mounted solar panels to generate energy as well as pipes running through the external skin of the building, which heat water.

Other buildings in the emirate that have made strides towards going ‘green' include Wafi City's district cooling plant, which in January achieved the Gold Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) status, the first accreditation of its kind in the Middle East.

Atkins also have a proposal for another tower in DIFC so it refers to one of these two, one of which is the really weird one:

malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 12:54 PM   #37
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 5448

The second atkins tower is fantastic, the first one however should go see a doctor about that.
Old February 14th, 2007, 01:14 PM   #38
Tricky

Likes (Received): 150

I agree with the 99% of the posts in here who say that

- the 1st tower is great, but
- the 2nd just sucks
Old February 14th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #39
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

i like both
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #40
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

IMO The first one looks like a copy of the Burj and the second one is just plain ugly. Dubai needs something geniune! And a skyscraper that doesnt have a 200-300m spire just to acquire the title of Tallest Building for tourism...

如果希腊国民继续信阴谋论,外资救世主的,不为自己的行为负责, 他们会灭亡。

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。

Last edited by WhiteMagick; February 14th, 2007 at 03:08 PM. Reason: spelling
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote