daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 11th, 2007, 01:15 AM   #341
Daniil N.
Power of creation!

Likes (Received): 4

But for me, nothing ever will be more beautiful and organic than Swiss Re...! Anywhere
Daniil N. no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2007, 02:30 AM   #342
PresidentBjork
In the bog.

Likes (Received): 3366

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
Slow down!
Look at the Spire (two times higher and in my eyes more interesting), Waterview Tower, Moscow Tower...
Maybe the finest and most exiting building in Europe, if you don't count Russia to Europe..., but never the most in the whole world!
But a nice desgin though!!
Oh now, the Moscow tower is just the Shard on steroids.
Old August 11th, 2007, 03:13 AM   #343
Gamma-Hamster
BANNED

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentBjork View Post
Oh now, the Moscow tower is just the Shard on steroids.
Oh now, the Shard is just Russia Tower suffering from impotence

Zefire liked this post
Gamma-Hamster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 05:50 AM   #344
PresidentBjork
In the bog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma-Hamster View Post
Oh now, the Shard is just Russia Tower suffering from impotence
I shall not sink to your level...hmmph *written quivering with rage*

Old August 11th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #345
PresidentBjork
In the bog.

and anyway, excessive steroid use can lead to impotence.

yeah- I know, kinda gone off topic. The metaphor died long ago.
Old August 11th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #346
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 12362

the russia tower does not for example have low iron crystal clear glass planned for it which is one of the most expensive types of cladding you can get. this is the sort of glass they put on the front of a tv screen or make goblets from, it has high resistance to oxidation, brilliant tensile strength and uniform porosity. it will literally be clad from tip to toe in the same glass you make chandeliers out of!

people should be aware that the budget for london bridge tower is £1.2 billion. thats $2.5 billion dollars. it will be the most expensive skyscraper *ever* built anywhere.

anyone who frankly thinks the russia tower will compare to this in anything more than height has little idea of the detail of the designs of both buildings and the m/e and structural engineering within.

the very top crop of london towers coming along - leadenhall, bishopsgate, and this are totally peerless in the sheer quality being used in building them. you can already see that quality with the willis building and swiss re for yourself and it is nothing less than you would expect for what is the single richest place on the planet. these are what billion dollar buildings look like...

people around the world can build whatever the hell they want, they can make them as tall as they want. i dont care. i want buildings designed and built that have a design life of hundreds of years without having to replace the glass like london bridge tower does. you can build a hundred russia towers or poxy supertall apartment blocks in dubai or chicago but you'll never come close to the build quality on these - you cant afford it in those buildings anyway as that market doesnt exist there which can pay those headline rents - so i'll take our design quality over your **** comparisons any day of the week.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 07:16 AM   #347
spotila
SSC Mapper

Likes (Received): 223

woah... easy on there fella.
Old August 11th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #348
Jarenz
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1303

wow, great work of art.... incredible!

Zefire liked this post
Jarenz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #349
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma-Hamster View Post
Nice rant.
Nice comeback Nah, I don't blame you mate. Afterall, you can't argue with the truth.

Edit: Eh? My reply is before his post?

Last edited by Newcastle Guy; August 11th, 2007 at 08:34 PM.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #350
Gamma-Hamster
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
people around the world can build whatever the hell they want, they can make them as tall as they want. i dont care. i want buildings designed and built that have a design life of hundreds of years without having to replace the glass like london bridge tower does. you can build a hundred russia towers or poxy supertall apartment blocks in dubai or chicago but you'll never come close to the build quality on these - you cant afford it in those buildings anyway - so i'll take our design quality over your **** comparisons any day of the week.
Nice rant.

Zefire liked this post
Old August 11th, 2007, 11:10 PM   #351
rugbytommy

Likes (Received): 1

Gothicform for Prime Minister!
rugbytommy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #352
Gamma-Hamster
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
:

Edit: Eh? My reply is before his post?
Even forum mechanisms are against you

Zefire liked this post
Old August 12th, 2007, 04:58 AM   #353
PresidentBjork
In the bog.

I won't go back on my word though.

Look at the finesse and intricate design of the shard, with it's numerous technical innovations similar to those in the Swiss RE. The Russia tower is just a big version of one of those Russian rockets without the Soyuz capsule on top.

Yeah its bigger, well done- I'm sure that'll impress all those with simpler tastes.

ahhh, who am I kidding? - I would have like to see the Shard be a bit a taller, but in design it's still superior.

Last edited by PresidentBjork; August 12th, 2007 at 05:04 AM.
PresidentBjork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 05:04 AM   #354
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1135

glad to see london has some supertalls!!!!!
when will this building start building?
Old August 12th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #355
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

not soon enough.
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 12:31 PM   #356
SmellyHongKongAir
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

is it better for london to remain low rise? for the beauty of the old castles there? but of cos, its beautiful futuristic

Zefire liked this post
SmellyHongKongAir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 11:55 PM   #357
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
the russia tower does not for example have low iron crystal clear glass planned for it which is one of the most expensive types of cladding you can get. this is the sort of glass they put on the front of a tv screen or make goblets from, it has high resistance to oxidation, brilliant tensile strength and uniform porosity. it will literally be clad from tip to toe in the same glass you make chandeliers out of!

people should be aware that the budget for london bridge tower is £1.2 billion. thats $2.5 billion dollars. it will be the most expensive skyscraper *ever* built anywhere.

anyone who frankly thinks the russia tower will compare to this in anything more than height has little idea of the detail of the designs of both buildings and the m/e and structural engineering within.

the very top crop of london towers coming along - leadenhall, bishopsgate, and this are totally peerless in the sheer quality being used in building them. you can already see that quality with the willis building and swiss re for yourself and it is nothing less than you would expect for what is the single richest place on the planet. these are what billion dollar buildings look like...

people around the world can build whatever the hell they want, they can make them as tall as they want. i dont care. i want buildings designed and built that have a design life of hundreds of years without having to replace the glass like london bridge tower does. you can build a hundred russia towers or poxy supertall apartment blocks in dubai or chicago but you'll never come close to the build quality on these - you cant afford it in those buildings anyway as that market doesnt exist there which can pay those headline rents - so i'll take our design quality over your **** comparisons any day of the week.
whooooaaaa there buddy. dont bring chicago into this, please
Old August 12th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #358
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Yep. The bigger version can be admired in Moscow soon.
/\...so this is presumably the quote that brought on that response.
Old August 13th, 2007, 12:26 AM   #359
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
I agree, London is the skyscraper architectural capital of the world and everything else being built is just commie blocks on steriods in comparison . You're also right that the Shard is 100% quality, that glass is beautiful!
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 12:26 AM   #360
PresidentBjork
In the bog.

Coincidence? - I think not!

Pesky Russians up to their old tricks! I wouldn't be surprised that every skyscraper in Moscow is in fact some sort of disguised missile.

Whilst the gentleman's option is this

Last edited by PresidentBjork; August 13th, 2007 at 12:32 AM.
PresidentBjork no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
32 london bridge street, london, london bridge tower, renzo piano, southwark, the shard, the shard of glass