daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 9th, 2010, 01:20 AM   #3721
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedferret View Post
Height isn't everything.
Indeed.

I can't speak for anybody else, but personally I would give this tower the same praise and attention and still call it just as much of an iconic building if it wasn't going to be the tallest building in Europe, or if it wasn't going to be the tallest building in the EU for a while, or even if it wasn't even going to be the tallest building in London. Why? It is an iconic design, a masterpiece of architecture, simple as that.

This may be hard to believe for some who get too caught up in height competitions, but on this forum it happens a lot, actually, if you pay attention. The Infinity Tower in Dubai for example - similar height as the Shard btw - gets showered with praise and attention, and is frequently considered an iconic building despite the fact that it is in the same city is the MUCH taller Burj Dubai, and despite the fact that even in its direct neighbourhood it has a good number of significantly taller projects. Why the praise, then? It is an iconic design, a masterpiece of architecture, simple as that.

We could go around the whole world with this. Other notable examples include the Beekman Place in New York City, again practically surrounded by far taller projects, yet receiving heaps of praise. Aqua in Chicago, quite obviously surrounded by some of the world's most famous supertalls, again receiving tons of praise for its unique and iconic design. Why does the Pearl River Tower in Guangzhou receive so much praise when it is right next door to the huge West Tower and the recently started - even more huge - East Tower? Again, you guessed it, it's the design. And on and on and on I could go. The bottom line remains simple. The London Bridge Tower receives the praise and attention it receives for a reason. It is an iconic design, a masterpiece of architecture, simple as that.
droneriot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2010, 01:34 AM   #3722
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1640

Quote:
Originally Posted by howelee View Post
just look at the main page of supertalls in construction around the world, it is not difficult to find that the Shard is nothing.
Imo the only tower project in the world of comparable beauty is the Tower Verre in New York, which hasn't started yet. Many supertalls UC around the world are uninspiring, and a fair few are positively ugly.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 03:08 AM   #3723
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7208

Some people don't undertstand what a 310 metres tower is in a European city.
Old September 9th, 2010, 04:16 AM   #3724
howelee

Likes (Received): 9

this is 'skyscrapercity', and we are in the 'supertalls' forum, if you guys think the design is more important than height, you can just pick up any 3-story building in Rome or Athens and claim it is the best tower in the world.

Also, I don't see why the design of Shard is superior to other supertalls like Shanghai center, Infinity tower...
howelee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 04:23 AM   #3725
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7208

Not being superior in design does not make it lower or worse either.
Old September 9th, 2010, 07:27 AM   #3726
marrio415

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
this is 'skyscrapercity', and we are in the 'supertalls' forum, if you guys think the design is more important than height, you can just pick up any 3-story building in Rome or Athens and claim it is the best tower in the world.

Also, I don't see why the design of Shard is superior to other supertalls like Shanghai center, Infinity tower...
The shard is classesd as a supertall if it's nothing jump from the top of it when it's built and let me know how tall it is thank you
marrio415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 07:36 AM   #3727
ghost101

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:

Being compare to the Shanghai Center is a major complement to the Shard. I'm not sure what you are trying to say. If a tower isn't better than the Shanghair Center it isn't deserving of praise?

Next to no towers currently being built you could argue as being better than the Shanghai Center.

Infinity tower on the other hand, meh.
Old September 9th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #3728
Turbosnail

Likes (Received): 266

Turbosnail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #3729
cristof

Likes (Received): 69

just EPIC ...for London and Europe
cristof no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #3730
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13285

Quote:

WTF.
Old September 9th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #3731
paujuu
VD at Huge Inc.

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
WTF.
second that
paujuu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #3732
Turbosnail

Likes (Received): 266

howelee - you are positively mental. You need help.. or banning.

image hosted on flickr

The Shard of Glass Sept 2010 by Fred Dawson, on Flickr
Turbosnail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #3733
Project Director
Jungle

Likes (Received): 101

for me, if its a real game changer, like its the current tallest in its city its the deal, take this example http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1125, its like the shard ,in that, its a game changer.

PD.
Old September 9th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #3734
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 799

The webcam is doing weird again

Old September 9th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #3735
Apoc89

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:

I agree. Screw design, quality, and context. The only thing that matters when judging skyscrapers is height, height, and nothing but height. All discussion related to the merits or demerits of skyscrapers should be stopped, because the number next to the thread title is the only thing of any value in such a debate. So if an 830m version of Guy's Hospital was ever built, it would be undoubtedly be a superior skyscraper to the Burj Khalifa.

Apoc89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #3736
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Likes (Received): 2200

Well, being a skyscraper fan from Athens (call it a contradiction in terms!!! ) allow me to make an incision here by saying that in my view, in terms of design the shard is one of the top five supertalls under construction today worldwide and the best by far within Εurope. Some may counter this argument by referring to the talls and supertalls in Moscow, however the existing ones in Moscow still need a key structure to make a difference within a collection of good but not outstanding designs, with the exception of the federation tower whenever it tops out, that is... An additional threat to the shard may be the new Paris supertalls but this will be an issue towards the second half of the decade if you asked me.

In addition, it is a common secret that for obvious reasons the height of European skyscrapers may never even come close to the ones in Asia and the Middle East, not to mention the fact that until recently, it was not even comparable to the ones in North America. However, there are towers which received many accolades despite their limited height by North American standards. The Pirelli skyscraper in Milan for instance constituted a much stronger architectural icon back in the 1960s compared to many of its north American counterparts.

In conclusion, I believe the shard will become a very strong and recognisable icon within London's skyline and will positively define this part of the city for the years to come.

Last edited by gm2263; September 9th, 2010 at 04:01 PM.
gm2263 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #3737
waddler
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
this is 'skyscrapercity'
Woohoo! Seriously? I had no clue you shouldn't have
Quote:
and we are in the 'supertalls' forum
Jesuuuuus!!! Now that's what I call a revelation! I wouldn't have known this if it wasn't for you
Quote:
if you guys think the design is more important than height, you can just pick up any 3-story building in Rome or Athens and claim it is the best tower in the world.
Oops-a-crazy, I think he's actually on to something here! Maybe it's us! In fact we're really bad, bad users...picking up any common 3-storey building and claiming it's the best tower in the world instead of talking about a real supertall, like for instance the highest tower in the EU , just saying! Our lack of common sense is unprecedented. O please great master of everything, show us the right path, illuminate our poor underdeveloped medieval brains with your boundless and all too abundant over and above wisdom, that's on the verge of overflowing onto our tiny, mediocre and sub-mediocre brains
waddler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #3738
SeregaRUS

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
Imo the only tower project in the world of comparable beauty is the Tower Verre in New York, which hasn't started yet. Many supertalls UC around the world are uninspiring, and a fair few are positively ugly.
Yes, The Shard is really beautifull skyscraper, one of the most beautifull, I think. But there are a lot of other towers with comparable beauty. It is impossible to select the best of them.

And what about Russia Tower?
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=396624
It is for sure the most beautifull disign I have ever seen. I hope it will be build.
SeregaRUS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #3739
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 230

The Russia Tower is really good, but compared to the Shard, its not as good - but it's not far off.
Old September 9th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #3740
RobH

Likes (Received): 10349

Looking at his posting history, this is the same **** who wrote earlier in the thread "The construction progress of this tower is another indicator that Britain has become a second/third class country".

Stick him in the brig, simple.
RobH está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
32 london bridge street, london, london bridge tower, renzo piano, southwark, the shard, the shard of glass