daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 20th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #401
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myster E View Post
The Southwark Towers actually look decent in those photos, especially with the reflective glass.
i wish they were gonna get rid of the Guy's Hospital Tower

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #402
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

I just realized this tower is the only one with a nickname on the supertalls page! the novelty of skyscrapers is really just hitting London, and I think this is proof. 'the pinnacle', 'gherkin', and now, 'the shahd'.
Old August 20th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #403
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

The Shard was actually coined as an insult by EH and the schemes opposers. (Yeah, they aren't very good at insulting things lol). It became popular and blew up in their faces, in fact it became so popular that the official name of the tower became 'Shard/London Bridge'
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #404
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

thanks for the crane photos, cant wait to get started.
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 09:59 AM   #405
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 12363

indeed EH said something like "a shard of glass stabbed through the heart of london". most people didnt think "shard of glass" was very negative, infact shards of glass tend to be quite beautiful to look at, only dangerous to hold.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 03:06 PM   #406
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

The problem with EH is (and they can deny this all they want, it's true) they just can't accept modern buildings that are visible on the skyline... That goes for The Shard, Bishopsgate, Heron and 20 Fenchurch Street. Leadenhall also. I have heard alot of people here say they were happy with Leadenhall, but going through the planning documents I discovered their opposition to the scheme when it was proposed. Atleast they didn't take it to a P.I though...
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #407
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13285

These next few weeks were meant to be crucial, but things are looking terrible for this project. I'm starting to give up hope of it ever being built.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delay for UK’s tallest tower as backers struggle for funding
James Rossiter

The timetable for completing the Shard of Glass, intended to be Britain’s tallest building, has been put back by at least a year to 2012 as its backers struggle to secure finance.

The owners of the New London Bridge House project, a 1,016ft skyscraper, had aimed to secure about £350 million this summer to fund construction, but City concern about the financial credibility of Simon Halabi, the one-third owner, had made it hard to gain finance, sources said, as had a souring debt market.

Mr Halabi is thought to be sitting on a £150 million loss after buying the Esporta fitness chain this year for £470 million, only for Société Générale, his main bank lender for the purchase, to put the holding company into administration this month.

A source close to the Shard project said: “There is the problem of Halabi. Esporta is not helping the financing. The reality is people are asking: ‘Has he got the money?’ But this is a more fundable deal than most. Orginally it was planned for 2010. It may take a couple of years longer. If there is finance in the autumn and it goes up by 2011 it can be completed in 2012. The earliest is 2012. No one anticipated the time over planning inquiries and Mr Halabi.”

The Shard project is owned by the Halabi Family Trust, CLS, a property company, and Sellar Property Group.
Old August 27th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #408
CrazyMac
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002 View Post
These next few weeks were meant to be crucial, but things are looking terrible for this project. I'm starting to give up hope of it ever being built.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delay for UK’s tallest tower as backers struggle for funding
James Rossiter

The timetable for completing the Shard of Glass, intended to be Britain’s tallest building, has been put back by at least a year to 2012 as its backers struggle to secure finance.

The owners of the New London Bridge House project, a 1,016ft skyscraper, had aimed to secure about £350 million this summer to fund construction, but City concern about the financial credibility of Simon Halabi, the one-third owner, had made it hard to gain finance, sources said, as had a souring debt market.

Mr Halabi is thought to be sitting on a £150 million loss after buying the Esporta fitness chain this year for £470 million, only for Société Générale, his main bank lender for the purchase, to put the holding company into administration this month.

A source close to the Shard project said: “There is the problem of Halabi. Esporta is not helping the financing. The reality is people are asking: ‘Has he got the money?’ But this is a more fundable deal than most. Orginally it was planned for 2010. It may take a couple of years longer. If there is finance in the autumn and it goes up by 2011 it can be completed in 2012. The earliest is 2012. No one anticipated the time over planning inquiries and Mr Halabi.”

The Shard project is owned by the Halabi Family Trust, CLS, a property company, and Sellar Property Group.
For ****s sake, when your on a downer about any project you just love to post the good news dont you.

Until you hear something from the developers themselves and not base your mood on another rumour, why dont you just STFU....

Zefire liked this post
CrazyMac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #409
Devil May Care
Professional Idiot

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMac View Post
For ****s sake, when your on a downer about any project you just love to post the good news dont you.

Until you hear something from the developers themselves and not base your mood on another rumour, why dont you just STFU....
Woah! I bet folk in Timbuktu can hear your cage rattling. Take it easy
Old August 27th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #410
Jamandell (d69)
Skyscraperholic

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:

That was completely uncalled for.

Will was just posting the news article. He (like me) has been very optimistic about this project...only today have we suddenly been hit by the probability that this won't be built.
Jamandell (d69) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #411
the sock

just hope they get the funding.
Old August 27th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #412
Jamandell (d69)
Skyscraperholic

Likes (Received): 229

Time for us SSC'ers to create a "Shard Fund" methinks

...if only we were millionaires
Jamandell (d69) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #413
nukey
Somnium Quinti

Likes (Received): 8

Are we gona get a big fat glass box instead of the shard that is cheaper to build and easier to fill?

Old August 27th, 2007, 07:05 PM   #414
PresidentBjork
In the bog.

Likes (Received): 3367

Depressing........

This Halabi character sounds like a real greasy so and so, guess he's in good company though in London's financial centre.

Man, something has to be done about these types, buying up huge pointless debts just so they can sell it of to a bank and get that big fat juicy transaction fee.

This con-man capitalism is getting uggg-ly
They **** up the financial markets and now on top of that it looks like we won't get our shard.
Old August 27th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #415
marrio415

Likes (Received): 22

lets all put into our minds that it aint getting built that way anymore set backs and it won't hit as hard.God damn halabi
marrio415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #416
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

Quote:

I suspect a pm is coming your way me ladddio.
Zenith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 03:33 PM   #417
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60767

posted by DarJoLe in the UK Forums:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
AJplus.co.uk
Published 28 August 2007 at 11:32, updated 11:40
Renzo’s backers rubbish rumours of delay to Shard

The group behind Renzo Piano’s London ‘Shard’ scheme has strongly denied rumours the project will be delayed by more than a year.
A report in yesterday's The Times claimed Piano’s much-anticipated ‘Shard of Glass’ scheme would be delayed until 2012 at the earliest because of one of the project’s backers faced funding problems.

However, the story has been rubbished by a Sellar Property Group spokesman, which is one of the main parties delivering the 310m-high development.

The spokesman said: ‘I don’t know where they got the story from, but it’s simply not true. The scaffolding is going up as we speak and once that has happened the existing building [Southwark Towers] will be demolished. Everything is progressing as planned.’

The Times had reported that Simon Habali, a one-third owner of the Shard, had found it hard to secure funding for the project due to him ‘sitting on a £150 million loss’ after buying the Esporta fitness chain for £470 million earlier this year.

The article added that Habali, Sellar and CLS – another property group – hoped to raise £350 million over the summer to finance the project, but this had not transpired and so the scheme would not be completed ‘until at least 2012’.

However, according to Sellar Property, the completion date remains at 2011.

by Richard Vaughan
Old August 28th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #418
PresidentBjork
In the bog.

Likes (Received): 3367

So, after one thing we hear a completely different story.

I've got to be honest, this project is starting to irritate me.
Old August 28th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #419
the sock

i suppose until demolition starts we just dont know.
Old August 28th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #420
Myster E

Likes (Received): 73

I'm being optimisitc about this project, it will happen no matter who decides to be negative or stir pessimism onto the forum.
Myster E no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
32 london bridge street, london, london bridge tower, renzo piano, southwark, the shard, the shard of glass