daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 21st, 2010, 09:43 PM   #4561
bukowski_jr

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
There's another core setback if I'm not mistaken.
Isn't it the case that the core has now reached it's full height? As CULWULLA's image showed, at the 67th floor it goes from concrete to metal further up.
bukowski_jr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2010, 09:57 PM   #4562
RichW1
In Pursuit Of The Future

Originally Posted by brisavoine
Great news today: the demolition work to make way for the 337m (1,106 ft) Hermitage Towers will start on January 3, 2011. It's the start of a new era for La Défense and Paris!

Look at the above from the Paris forums :S erm......oh shit?!!
RichW1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 09:58 PM   #4563
hvtopiwala

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichW1 View Post
Great news today: the demolition work to make way for the 337m (1,106 ft) Hermitage Towers will start on January 3, 2011. It's the start of a new era for La Défense and Paris!

realllly loving hte pictures in this thread...used some of them for background on my desktop
hvtopiwala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 09:59 PM   #4564
RichW1
In Pursuit Of The Future

We in London really will have to find somewhere in the future where flight paths do not allow the Shard to be the tallest structure forever more! I suspect this may take decades if it happens at all, which although I'm in love with the Shard is seriously disappointing with Paris and Frankfurt purely in tall buildings terms!
Old November 21st, 2010, 10:02 PM   #4565
RichW1
In Pursuit Of The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvtopiwala View Post
realllly loving hte pictures in this thread...used some of them for background on my desktop
I'm glad you enjoyed those pics; they were undeniably good! I am personally gutted though we have nothing waiting in the wings in London to better La Defenses plans. I went over to Paris last month and saw the masterplan model with all the buildings in place and it is truly awesome for a European city and will definitely be the number 1 skyscraper destination in the EU for some time to come when this goes up.

So annoyed!!!!!
Old November 21st, 2010, 10:08 PM   #4566
ajaaronjoe
BANNED

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
I'm glad you enjoyed those pics; they were undeniably good! I am personally gutted though we have nothing waiting in the wings in London to better La Defenses plans. I went over to Paris last month and saw the masterplan model with all the buildings in place and it is truly awesome for a European city and will definitely be the number 1 skyscraper destination in the EU for some time to come when this goes up.
Is the Shard going to be taller than Eiffel Tower when it is completed?
ajaaronjoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 10:13 PM   #4567
RichW1
In Pursuit Of The Future

By roof height yes, just. But all that becomes academic when Paris puts up these monoliths! So annoyed. I really did think these would be several years away and the mass on the skyline means they will look absolutely HUGE!!!!
Old November 21st, 2010, 10:34 PM   #4568
london_marcus

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukowski_jr View Post
Isn't it the case that the core has now reached it's full height? As CULWULLA's image showed, at the 67th floor it goes from concrete to metal further up.
not yet the core tops out at level 72 then above that it is steel for the spire
should be the united kingdoms tallest skyscraper by mid week
also looking at the diagram of the core there is another small set back at the very top.
london_marcus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 11:11 PM   #4569
cybertect

Likes (Received): 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom44 View Post
Cool Update !! Go Ahead London !!!
nice pictures thanx brother !!
Ta.

Spot The Shard...

image hosted on flickr

The Thames at Surrey Water by cybertect, on Flickr
Old November 21st, 2010, 11:13 PM   #4570
Ejit

Quote:

Personally I'm excited about the Hermitage Towers - they're brilliant. If you really want to be patriotic then just be pleased there's a British architect behind them, lol.

But really, enough of this height comparison rubbish. It's what gives us enthusiasts a bad name!

The Shard doesn't need to be taller. Aesthetically it's the right height, and because it's a fairly inefficient layout there would be little gain from it being taller.
Ejit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 11:28 PM   #4571
RichW1
In Pursuit Of The Future

It's not so much the height comparison that concerns me in this one building, more the future. If Paris has supertalls 'ready to go' without bureaucratic delay then where will London's future office space go? If we have no-where to build upwards because NIMBY's moan all the time I worry for the long-term. However I realise that's very simplistic considering London's position and they'll always find a way. I'm just a little disappointed that way won't include anything more going up taller than LBT at any time in the future, full stop, that's all.

Anyway, how the hell can those behind this scheme afford to build this given returns required when London worrys about filling 1 tower of 700ft or so for example?!! Two 1,100ft towers? You know if that was even on the table over here, those doing it would be like 'where will we find the tenants for that!'
Old November 22nd, 2010, 12:32 AM   #4572
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7192

When the core tops out and the flooring and cladding is all done, there won't be much to see from the outside. They will start on the internal work and that's quite boring for us.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 01:08 AM   #4573
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaaronjoe View Post
Is the Shard going to be taller than Eiffel Tower when it is completed?
Here is your answer.

[img]http://i54.************/1539pw5.png[/img]

Last edited by brisavoine; November 22nd, 2010 at 01:18 AM.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 01:20 AM   #4574
alpin13
THE HUNTER

Likes (Received): 3013

J'adore et merci à la crise des années 90 sinon ,il avait la tour de notre Jean Nouvel .La tour sans fin à 425 M et le point le plus haut pour le public se trouvait à 400M
alpin13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 01:40 AM   #4575
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Anyway, how the hell can those behind this scheme afford to build this given returns required when London worrys about filling 1 tower of 700ft or so for example?!! Two 1,100ft towers? You know if that was even on the table over here, those doing it would be like 'where will we find the tenants for that!'
That's because the Hermitage Towers will mostly contain luxury appartments, not offices (there will be some offices, but they will occupy less than 30% of the towers). The people who'll buy these luxury apartments will probably be rich Russians and Arabs (God knows there's no shortage of rich Gulf Arabs in Paris at the moment... the Champs-Elysées have literally become an annex of Doha and Abu Dhabi in the past 5 years), with perhaps the odd wealthy Frenchman or Westerner.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 01:49 AM   #4576
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7192

by chest.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 04:39 AM   #4577
RichW1
In Pursuit Of The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
Here is your answer.

[img]http://i54.************/1539pw5.png[/img]
I know I'm going to get shot down here but....I really think London Bridge Tower (if it weren't for CAA regulations) should have been 100ft taller! Oh well, I'm a little lost as to what to make of our high rise boom underway now, not because I don't support it but because I feel a bit crap about LBT being the absolute limit forever (or at least in my lifetime!). Sorry if that sounds unpatriotic or anything because I'm far from it. Can't help thinking as the years go by it'll show against other cities and we'll seem a bit like a 'tried but couldn't quite make it with the biggest in Europe' kind of skyline!! :S

Maybe I'm having a negative evening but suddenly lost the wind in my sails that I was quite excited about previously. I know a lot of you might not agree but I really do think if we have high-rises at all we're going to end up with a tabletop skyline in the highrise areas over time as there'll be no space to go upwards for aesthetic 'stepping' if you like of the heights. Most will be 6-750 ft with Pinnacle and LBT peaking above that in a tapering manner.

I need bed, I'm not a happy guy tonight am I!!!
Old November 22nd, 2010, 08:26 AM   #4578
hugh

Likes (Received): 1227

Who cares if they're building taller buildings in Paris and what does it have to do with the Shard? The Shard is - I think - one of the most beautiful buildings under construction, anywhere, with a pretty good height to ratio aesthetic. If the Hermitage Towers happen to add to Paris' great architectural landscape - good for Paris.
hugh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:49 AM   #4579
cybertect

Tooley Street about 30 minutes ago

Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:53 AM   #4580
jhalsey

"Shard" has really become a trade name.
jhalsey no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
32 london bridge street, london, london bridge tower, renzo piano, southwark, the shard, the shard of glass