daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 6th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #4781
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3254

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkster View Post
What is the purpose of the backpack here? No one else seems to complain about it - probably because we are getting such a great tower - but it does seem to ruin it a bit for me. In fact, it really pisses me off, it ruins the slenderness of the tower at some angles. And if they stick that pointless spire on it, I won't be happy. I just wanted the Shard to standalone, not with some groundscrapery turd tagged on to the back of it.
I'm not a fan either, the vertical / horizontal lines of the backpack are totally at odds with The Shard, if it had similarly angled sides to the main tower it would look fine, but as it is it just looks like a cheap afterthought / extension despite the same cladding.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2010, 06:05 PM   #4782
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7199

Your current obsession is comparing skyscrapers to women Robert!
Old December 6th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #4783
cybertect

Likes (Received): 182

Quote:
What is the purpose of the backpack here?
To make the rest of the scheme economically viable
Old December 7th, 2010, 08:11 AM   #4784
briker
BANNED

Likes (Received): 90

this is going to look supercool!
briker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #4785
cybertect

Tooley Street this morning, now that the mist has gone

Old December 7th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #4786
waddler
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_from_zw038 View Post
But the skyline is not what makes London so beautiful though.
For now , this will certainly change soon enough.
waddler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #4787
PortoNuts

Quote:
Shard London Bridge skyscraper splinters opinion

It began as a sketch on the back of a napkin in a Berlin restaurant in 2000. Ten years on, Shard London Bridge is the tallest building in the UK, at more than 235m (771ft).

Designed by Italian architect Renzo Piano, the south London skyscraper is planned to rise to 87 storeys, 310m (1,016ft) by 2012, becoming the tallest building in the European Union. Mr Piano has a clear vision of the positive impact he thinks the tower will have on the city.

"The building will be atmospheric. It will play with the city. It will be a symbol of lightness," he said. But the skyscraper, better known as the Shard of Glass, also has its critics. "I would have liked to see something more materially interesting and elegant," said Philippa Grantham, 31, who has watched the tower rise on the capital's skyline each day on her commute into London Bridge station.

"In my opinion, a tower doesn't have a particular front or a back but this building certainly has a back side and it's fairly crude."

'Vertical city'

"After a shower it will be blue. In the evening it will become warmer and more red," he said. Shard London Bridge, Copyright of Sellar Group Shard London Bridge will have a viewing gallery on its 72nd floor. The building was designed to be a "vertical city that has many functions," he added. "It will be living 24 hours a day and intensify city life." The Shard will have office space at its base and, higher up the building, will contain a hotel, apartments, a viewing gallery and spire at the top.

In 2003, following a £10m public inquiry, the Shard was approved by then Deputy PM John Prescott. But English Heritage said it was disappointed with the outcome and the building was "inappropriate".

Key objections it raised included concerns over the impact on views of St Paul's Cathedral from Parliament Hill. But the Shard's property developer James Sellar said that its 244m (800ft) viewing gallery "will open up the views of places like St Paul's that have never been seen". Local campaigners Bermondsey Village Action Group (BVAG) fear the Shard will create a "domino effect" with more tall buildings being approved, forming a "wall of steel and glass".

Last week, a 31-storey tower - The Quill - was approved by Southwark council, which will stand within metres of the Shard. "The Shard is the umbrella under which the proposed high-rise buildings in the area are seeking to take shelter," said Russell Gray, from BVAG. "Secrecy is the name of the game with the Shard."

'High benchmark'

But Mr Sellar said: "The design philosophy is about transparency rather than opaqueness." "We've set a pretty high benchmark for the regeneration of the area." Mr Piano said he did not want the Shard to create an influx of tall buildings in the capital. "By making one tall building, you can't assume that more tall buildings in the area are good."

But he said the Shard will make the area "a more humanised place". And through the regeneration of London Bridge station, as part of the Shard development, "it will be a better place to travel through", he said. The tower's supporters believe the building will be a pivotal moment for south London.

"It is a landmark building and is a flag for the regeneration," Mr Sellar said. So will the Shard become an iconic landmark to rival New York's Empire State Building or Paris' Eiffel Tower? "You can't be narcissistic and say I'm going to make the iconic building," said Mr Piano. "But it may become iconic in time."
The shell of the building is due to be completed by May 2012.

And the Olympics planned for that year should prove an opportunity to beam the Shard's image around the world. "With more than a billion people looking at London for the Olympics, its a great way to have the building presented and the capital's innovation celebrated," said Mr Sellar.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11900363
Old December 7th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #4788
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Translations View Post
the shart is rising
Can someone ban this annoying troll child? He rears his ugly head every few months just to make stupid comments like that, their only basis being his anti-London agenda as opposed to anything regarding the building itself.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #4789
potto

Likes (Received): 9114

Quote:
What is the purpose of the backpack here? No one else seems to complain about it - probably because we are getting such a great tower - but it does seem to ruin it a bit for me. In fact, it really pisses me off, it ruins the slenderness of the tower at some angles. And if they stick that pointless spire on it, I won't be happy. I just wanted the Shard to standalone, not with some groundscrapery turd tagged on to the back of it.
The huge new office block destined to be plonked on top of London Bridge station will hide it.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #4790
siberian dreamer

Likes (Received): 18

hopefully there will be a wall of steel, glass and lights growing in london from unique scrapers like this one! This is not bath where any such buildings would ruin the scenery; this is london, where the ancient and modern slot together to form an incredible city that I love.
siberian dreamer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #4791
Turbosnail

Likes (Received): 266

Steelwork has stopped now - it will now be concrete all the way upto level 72 when the steel resumes - I think there are less services for installation in the residential part of the tower.
Turbosnail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 10:40 PM   #4792
percy07
Shallow & Pedantic

Likes (Received): 33

Don't you mean the concrete has stopped now and it will be steel all the way up to level 72?
percy07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 11:51 PM   #4793
PortoNuts

When he says steelwork it means flooring.
Old December 8th, 2010, 02:11 AM   #4794
JuMpStyLe4eVeR
Viva España!

Likes (Received): 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertect View Post
Tooley Street this morning, now that the mist has gone

It's gonna be taller than this right? or finally the project its shorter¿?
PD: I only read the first and the last page of this thread D
JuMpStyLe4eVeR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 03:57 AM   #4795
MattToronto
Less is More

Likes (Received): 97

Core is nearly T/O but it's going to be taller than the core.
Old December 8th, 2010, 04:08 AM   #4796
SkyscraperSuperman

Likes (Received): 804

The core will top out at 240m, the building itself will top out at 310m. So still a way to go after the core reaches its full height!

Also a musician, climber, creative writer, diver and world traveller!

Follow me on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/TheTitanAtlas

Flickr page (The_Titan_Atlas):
http://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]
SkyscraperSuperman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 05:58 AM   #4797
london-b
βAŇŇĘÐ

Likes (Received): 1345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Translations View Post
the shart is rising
As is your reputation as an uber troll.
london-b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #4798
cybertect

A misty view from platform 15 of London Bridge Station earlier this morning

Old December 8th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #4799
nscottplummer

Likes (Received): 0

Views of the shard

Morning,

I work for Channel 4 News. The Shard are showing the press around tomorrow and we might well go along. I just wanted to pick yur brains for the best locations round the city for a clear view of the shard. There are some nice still images posted on this forum. We do need it to be filming public property tho - i.e Network Rail aren't going to give us permission to come and film from their paltforms.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Nick
Culture Editor Channel 4 News
nscottplummer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #4800
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6381

Quote:
Originally Posted by potto View Post
The huge new office block destined to be plonked on top of London Bridge station will hide it.
Not happening now I believe.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
32 london bridge street, london, london bridge tower, renzo piano, southwark, the shard, the shard of glass