daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 13th, 2011, 05:17 PM   #5201
im_from_zw038
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

nice

Last edited by Tubeman; January 14th, 2011 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Quoting multiple images to be a smartarse
im_from_zw038 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #5202
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7202

Quote:
The Shard casts shadow over London landmarks

St Paul's Cathedral has dominated London's skyline for more than 200 years. However, as this picture shows, it is being dwarfed in terms of size - though not importance - by more modern constructions.

Here Sir Christopher Wren's masterpiece, finished in 1710, is distinctly overshadowed by the Shard, the central London tower set to be the highest in western Europe. The new building outstripped Canary Wharf's One Canada Square in November to become the tallest building in Britain, the highest-profile part of a broader plan for a £2 billion redevelopment of the area around London Bridge station.

The tower will have 44 lifts and be topped by a four-floor viewing gallery which will be open to the public. A new public concourse and a piazza will be complete by 2013 and link the 1,016ft (310m) building to the station, through which 400,000 commuters pass every day.

The man building the tower, Irvine Sellar, chairman of the Sellar Group, said last month: "We're not the tallest building in the world by a long way, but we are the best-looking in Europe." It is the first design in Britain by Italian architect Renzo Piano, who said recently to Mr Sellar: "If we were both not a little mad this would never have happened."

Wren's cathedral - the fourth to occupy the site - was built between 1675 and 1710 after its predecessor was destroyed in the Great Fire of London.

Important events there have included the funerals of Lord Nelson, the Duke of Wellington and Sir Winston Churchill; Jubilee celebrations for Queen Victoria; peace services marking the end of the First and Second World Wars; the Service of Remembrance and Commemoration for September 11 2001, and the wedding of Charles, Prince of Wales, to Lady Diana Spencer. The cathedral suffered bomb damage during the Second World War - but survived the worst that the Luftwaffe could throw at it.

The dome, rising 365ft (111m) above the City, is one of the largest in the world. Situated at the heart of the building, the space underneath the dome is now used as the principal place of worship in the cathedral.
http://www.24dash.com/news/communiti...ndon-landmarks
Old January 13th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #5203
dutchsnookerfan

Likes (Received): 9

i dont think st paul did still dominate the last 10 years it was still a high point but now it will change with the city cluster and then this tower nearby.
Old January 13th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #5204
venom6

Likes (Received): 1302

I think every big building is dominating if you are standing in front of it! I was amazed from St. Paul, Westminster Abbey, Gherkin and some others when i was looking at the top from close That was in 2005 but i really hope to drop a visit someday!
Old January 13th, 2011, 10:47 PM   #5205
Artur89

Likes (Received): 0

Amazing building! ... but this clumsy building next to
Artur89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 12:01 AM   #5206
littleboxes

Likes (Received): 49

St Paul's Cathedral and London

London is absolutely full of dire buildings constructed after the Second World War. It is full of dreadful buildings of many periods in its history. It is not a uniformly beautiful city. It is a vibrant living city. Its magic comes from the mess of history that has shaped it. Scratch the surface and the London of Dickens is just beneath the surface. Look at the Dore drawings of London and that London is still visible in the modern London as anyone who lives and works in London knows only too well. It is a smelly, sweaty, dirty, ugly, beautiful, magnificent city shaped by two thousand years of history and commerce and war. It should not be preserved like a perfect jewel. It is not Venice.
The Shard would be a magnificent addition to any great city of the world. It is a truely great building. But that is simply my opinion.
littleboxes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 01:18 AM   #5207
PortoNuts

image hosted on flickr

January 2011 by Hans Pfaal, on Flickr
Old January 14th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #5208
BetaMaxx11

Likes (Received): 4

I love this building, I think it is my favourite supertall currently under construction.
BetaMaxx11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 02:22 AM   #5209
PortoNuts

Lots of internal work must be going on but I suppose they will restart the flooring soon.
Old January 14th, 2011, 02:37 AM   #5210
zapor1

Likes (Received): 31

is this in walkable distance to the city?
zapor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 03:06 AM   #5211
PortoNuts

Old January 14th, 2011, 06:28 AM   #5212
siberian dreamer

Likes (Received): 18

yeah, it's right by the city.
siberian dreamer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #5213
DocShergar
He's a beauty!

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapor1 View Post
is this in walkable distance to the city?
Just over the river. I'm no expert on London but i'd say 15 minute walk to the city?

I should be going up to the hospital soon so i'll take me camera and get some pics
Old January 14th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #5214
Torg22

Yeh, not even that really. You are in the City (financial district) as soon as you get across London Bridge so i would say more like 5 mins walk.

I work in the city and everytime i walk out the front of my buidling and turn left all i can see is the Shard appear between the opening in the buildings.

Ive been reading all these critism's about the Shard in the papers the last few days and am really miffed. A - its not exactly that close to St Pauls Cathedral and why they have such a problem with it obscuring the view i have no idea, look at st pauls from a different angle if your standing behind the shard.. simplez. and B - wait until the project is finished before moaning how ugly it is!! Im sure a lot of these critics are just being plain simple and looking at it in its unfinshed concrete state and not looking at the bigger picture. This building is going to look superb once finished, nothing like what it looks like at the mo as you all well know!! Im going to be proud to have the tallest building in Europe in my home city, its going to bring a breath of fresh air to London's skyline.

Next up.. the pinnacle!!
Torg22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 01:37 PM   #5215
cristof

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrHo View Post
boris is loving it he looks so happy in those pics
good for the future lool
cristof no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #5216
beabea
BANNED

good god what an epic building this!!!Another magnificent icon for London and Britain
beabea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #5217
Pennypacker

Likes (Received): 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocShergar View Post
Just over the river. I'm no expert on London but i'd say 15 minute walk to the city?
Nah, it's basically in the city. Just across the bridge and you're into the financial district proper.
Pennypacker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #5218
djm160190

Likes (Received): 763

According to this article on the previous page, this building has 44 lifts. Is that a typo?!
djm160190 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #5219
london_marcus

Likes (Received): 38

well remember they will have lifts that go to different parts of the building and they include the service lifts too
sounds about right for the amount of people that will be using the tower every day
london_marcus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #5220
adschi

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
The reflection on the glass is stunning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocShergar View Post
More like 5 minutes

Tags
32 london bridge street, london, london bridge tower, renzo piano, southwark, the shard, the shard of glass